As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I wonder if the microthrust engine allows a novice to just keep their throttle at max, but keep similar maneuverability compared to a stock engine at the sweet spot setting?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Somehow, someone managed to make a Star Wars game with bad music.

The briefing room is comically inept, even for a $40 game.

In the vs AI mode specifically, the battles need more squadrons and they need to do something besides fly around aimlessly.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So playing VR has made me wonder... do all races find Mon Calamari awkward to converse with? I can't figure out where I'm supposed to be looking when I talk to Ardo. I can't look him in the eyes because they're too far apart, so I'm either constantly switching back and forth between each eye, or talking with his nose trying to split the difference. It's weird.
    Focus on their weird semi-crab/semi-squid hands.

You mean the delicious meat canisters?

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »

In the vs AI mode specifically, the battles need more squadrons and they need to do something besides fly around aimlessly.

They definitely don't "fly around aimlessly" in any of the matches I've been apart of. I've seen them go on attack runs, ambush people, take defensive positions, the works.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

There are two different "types" of AI starfighters in Fleet Battles:

Enemy Squadron - This will be advanced AI, with loadouts in any of the player ships. They will wreck your face when they want to. They will have have proper names. There will be 5 of them. This simulates what its like when playing against real people in Fleet Battles.
    Fodder - These will either be X-wings or TIE Fighters. Nothing else. They will not have a name, but instead be named generic "X-Wing" or "TIE Fighter". They fly in squads of 5 together, have very little health and do little damage. At best they will throw pot shots at you or engage other fodder. At worst they will just fly around. These exist as a way to farm up morale if the enemy team is staying away from the general conflict area.

Its likely the ones you see "fly around aimlessly" are the latter. The former are tough fights. Change your targeting filter to "Enemy Squadron" and cycle targets to find them.

ObiFett on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I am still not sold on, like, any of the engine swaps. It feels weird that you can make an A-wing that turns worse than a Y-Wing, or has amazing turning but plods along slower than the U-Wing, etc. The stat swings are just SO wild that it feels like you are building them for highly niche roles. Blast from one end of the map to the other in a straight line, do a bit of damage on the way, turn around with a drift and do it again?
    Depending on your role... sure, why not? Like, that sounds like a strafing run from a bomber.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

They definitely don't "fly around aimlessly" in any of the matches I've been apart of. I've seen them go on attack runs, ambush people, take defensive positions, the works.

You should spectate an ai pilot some time. It's uh, not a good look.

LD50 wrote: »

Squadron AI will go into "defense mode" when on defense and essentially fly around "aimlessly" near the thing they are trying to defend. But damn if it isn't effective because as soon as I push in they all swarm me pretty well

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So the biggest problem I have with this game is that they released it right after MSFS, so I need to sell a kidney to get a HOTAS setup. Controller is working for now, but man I want to get back into the old 90’s Tie Fighter groove.

I’m only a few matches in...got through my placement in Fleets and a handful of dogfights. Just discovered the beauty of ion cannons against fighters, disabling them next to frigates and letting the AI do the dirt while I’m on to the next thing. Just having tons of fun.

Be interesting to see what kind of content they add over time. As long as it’s not a battle royale mode, I’m game for anything.

Yeah I mean the cannon fodder. I built a Y-Wing intending to go after the swarms of generic TIEs and keep my team morale high. Quickly realized it at least felt like a total waste of time. There were so few of them, and they were so useless that I did not feel like I was contributing in any way. I trailed some of the X-Wings at one point and never saw them shoot.
    My fix- make them at a minimum fire some super weak shots when something is in front of them. When you have morale, they push forward and drop a low damage missile or something at the frigates and cap ships, so there is actually a reason to do something besides ignore them 100%.

I mean, I've swept past a group of the fodder TIEs and decided it wasn't even worth wasting the charge on my lasers on shooting one or two. And I was in an A-wing built around shooting enemy ships.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Going after creep AI at the start of Fleet Battle is really good. If you dedicate two bombers, one to each creep grouping, you can push the morale right at the start with multi-lock missiles to take out each group. After that they sort of fall off a bit and are something to farm when you've managed to push out the enemy team.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Is there cross play for this game?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Is there cross play for this game?

Yes.

Stabbity_Style.png
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      2nd question - is there an easy control scheme? If I got this for my dad, I'd be afraid of the full control scheme with him

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • DrezDrez Registered User regular
        I'm having a lot of trouble getting my HOTASS working with the game properly.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
      • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        2nd question - is there an easy control scheme? If I got this for my dad, I'd be afraid of the full control scheme with him

I just use an Xbox One controller and it works pretty well.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
      • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
        The basics are relatively simple on a controller, and you don't really neeeeeeeed to do anything besides use the two sticks, lock on with left trigger, fire with right trigger, and maybe use the bumpers for missiles/repairs/etc.

The stuff like managing energy, boosting, drifting, etc. I would say is not vital to having a good time.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

You should as well, so you can see that they move with the flow of the game and don't actually fly around aimlessly.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

You should as well, so you can see that they move with the flow of the game and don't actually fly around aimlessly.

I think we need some distinct terms- the AI squadrons change craft, attack & defend, intercept bombers, etc. The swarms (probably can't even call them AI) seem, at most, to move forward or back depending on the line of momentum but AFAIKT that's about it. On Co-Op while set to Easy, the closest I have come to actually losing a match that didn't have a leaver was when I tried to farm the TIE swarms to keep the momentum. It was simply a waste of time. Granted I was in the map with all the debris and had trouble ever finding them, but still. I don't think I have ever seen an enemy swarm fire. Perhaps on harder difficulties and in the vs fleet battle they do?

edited October 2020
        I find the hangar endlessly fascinating. Sometimes I just stare at NPC's and wonder where they are going. I've also noticed that the scenery changes each time you enter it. Sometimes they'll be working on an A-Wing in a specific bay, sometimes an X-Wing, sometimes there will be nothing there at all etc.

Also the physics on Quarren's chintacles are wonky and it's hilarious.

Handsome Costanza on
        Resident 8bitdo expert.

I think we need some distinct terms- the AI squadrons change craft, attack & defend, intercept bombers, etc. The swarms (probably can't even call them AI) seem, at most, to move forward or back depending on the line of momentum but AFAIKT that's about it. On Co-Op while set to Easy, the closest I have come to actually losing a match that didn't have a leaver was when I tried to farm the TIE swarms to keep the momentum. It was simply a waste of time. Granted I was in the map with all the debris and had trouble ever finding them, but still. I don't think I have ever seen an enemy swarm fire. Perhaps on harder difficulties and in the vs fleet battle they do?

The swarms are essentially creeps in a MOBA but with less direction. I've seen them engage frigates and even other swarms. But mostly they are just there to farm.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
        Talith wrote: »

Oh this is so awesome. I have to figure out how to print the ps4 one.

oosik_betsuni.png
        Steam: betsuni7
      • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
        ObiFett wrote: »

The swarms are essentially creeps in a MOBA but with less direction. I've seen them engage frigates and even other swarms. But mostly they are just there to farm.

Yeah I’m 99% sure I’ve seen them fire. I think they’ve even fired on me before. They’re mostly useless and there to farm, but if left alone entirely they do nonzero damage.

mcdermott wrote: »
        ObiFett wrote: »

Yeah I’m 99% sure I’ve seen them fire. I think they’ve even fired on me before. They’re mostly useless and there to farm, but if left alone entirely they do nonzero damage.

I've definitely been dinged by them before. One time I was just resupplying under a frigate and a TIE Swarm kept taking pot shots at me while it flew around the Frigate.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
        After a week trying to get the Hori PS4 HOTAS setup is total shit and I am returning it.

Huge deadzone of the joystick and the throttle only starts working at 0 or 100 percent, nothing in-between. Three of the buttons on the fucking thing are only decorative so I don't think you have enough inputs to get it to work without missing input options.

Anyone have other PS4 HOTAS setup suggestions?

I am in the business of saving lives.
      • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
        MegaMan001 wrote: »
        After a week trying to get the Hori PS4 HOTAS setup is total shit and I am returning it.

Huge deadzone of the joystick and the throttle only starts working at 0 or 100 percent, nothing in-between. Three of the buttons on the fucking thing are only decorative so I don't think you have enough inputs to get it to work without missing input options.

I'm not sure how long it will last but the Thrustmaster T.Flight has done me right so far. One thing I would like to do with it is move "roll" off the joystick twist and onto the throttle rocker switch, so that I don't slowly teeter over to one side while trying to take hard turns, but other than that the default setup covers all controls and feels pretty intuitive.

_
        Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
      • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
        edited October 2020
        hlprmnky wrote: »
        MegaMan001 wrote: »

I'm not sure how long it will last but the Thrustmaster T.Flight has done me right so far. One thing I would like to do with it is move "roll" off the joystick twist and onto the throttle rocker switch, so that I don't slowly teeter over to one side while trying to take hard turns, but other than that the default setup covers all controls and feels pretty intuitive.

Yeah, I got that one too since it was the only thing in stock. It's alright, but I really with it had more buttons. I think it has roll on the rocker already by default?

Spoit on
        steam_sig.png
      • Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
        edited October 2020
        Control remap is about three levels deep in settings. Just ignore the raft of unassigned commands, cause the only free controls after you remap roll are the twists on the stick.

Mr Sparkles on
      • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
        I’m starting to feel a bit more comfortable with things, especially kind of understanding how to properly manage imperial ships (max engines until engagement, flip to max guns and dump energy to weapons, then flip back and dump to engines for flyby).

But I feel like I need to make some adjustments to the controls. The stick can feel loose when I’m aiming. Does anyone have any recommended settings for the dual shock 4 to kind of tighten things up a bit?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
      • NosfNosf Registered User regular
        Seriously a lack of moustaches and big ole sideburns and mutton chops in this game. 1/10

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
      • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
        5 game attempts and not a single one with a full ten players. What's the deal here?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
        Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
      • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
        edited October 2020
        Game is dropping in population fast it seems

https://steamcharts.com/app/1222730

Phoenix-D on
      • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
        At least it's crossplay, but it probably has a lot more competitors like Elite on PC.

Still see a lot of excitement about it in PSVR circles because we haven't been able to play anything else like it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
        PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
      • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
        Phoenix-D wrote: »

Isn't that pretty normal?

Stabbity_Style.png
        Yup.

Resident 8bitdo expert.

Granted on Mondays I'm trying to work from home and help my wife with our toddler and newborn, so longer match time games are less likely, but in the spare time I had I didn't really feel like playing this. I might start using voice to try and spice things up a bit.
        I also haven't done all my fleet battle placements yet, too worried about all the balance complaints.

Isn't that pretty normal?

Its normal but its also a bit self-inflicted on their part since their ranked system is completely broken. I assume much of that drop-off is from players stopping playing because they can't rank up or gain rank. Some more of that dropoff is because players aren't being matchmade against equal skill again because rank isn't working. Once they get ranked fixed, that should solve a problem for quite a few players.