As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sure, but if Star Citizen launches at all it's never going to have even a fraction of the features they've promised. 100+ systems? Don't make me laugh. And that's assuming the game is ever going to come out, which at this point I would not say is a very safe assumption!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Let's also not forget that while Squadrons was only made in approximately 2 years, the scope of that game is teeny tiny compared to Star Citizen. Squadrons only has like 4 ships per faction, only two multiplayer modes, and a handful of maps, there's no vehicles, no explorable ship interiors, no FPS content or being a pilot. All of the briefing areas are point and click static spaces, and there's no true "being a person" moments in the game.

Star Citizen is aiming to be a fully realized space sim. Not just a flight sim. But a space sim where you can go anywhere and do (almost) anything.
    I don't think anyone is forgetting this! Indeed it's hard to forget it since a giant list of promises is more or less Star Citizens's most notable accomplishment so far. This game has promised way more than any of its competitors, released or unreleased, with the possible exception of No Man's Sky, which had to settle for being released 4 years ago and then updated constantly, whereas Star Citizen has managed to avoid getting its hands dirty with anything nearly as complete as No Man's Sky 4 years ago, let alone today. Basically everything about Star Citizen except the giant concatenation of promises has been achieved by one or more other games in the time since Star Citizen was supposed to be out, let alone in the time since it was announced, so it's hard to forget that Star Citizen is promising much more than those other games, like Squadrons.

let's not gloss over the fact that no man's sky launched with half the features they promised.

Yeah the NMS launch was probably the worst received launch I can remember next to Fallout 76.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Let's also not forget that while Squadrons was only made in approximately 2 years, the scope of that game is teeny tiny compared to Star Citizen. Squadrons only has like 4 ships per faction, only two multiplayer modes, and a handful of maps, there's no vehicles, no explorable ship interiors, no FPS content or being a pilot. All of the briefing areas are point and click static spaces, and there's no true "being a person" moments in the game.

Star Citizen is aiming to be a fully realized space sim. Not just a flight sim. But a space sim where you can go anywhere and do (almost) anything.

sure, except that's not what I kickstarted and is why it's never coming out :p

but yes obviously the scope is massively different, but at this point I think Star Citizen is just TOO MUCH. I want a Privateer Sequel and a Wing Commander Sequel bolted together, I don't need a shitty FPS game with extra FPS features as well, etc etc

This much I can agree with, I'm going to copy paste what I just posted on the subreddit, but I think I've made my stance clear in this thread before:
    Me wrote:
    I will never understand why Chris decided to try to pack so much into SQ42 episode 1. We could have had a dozen or so space combat missions flying against the AI, with a few intervening segments where you hang out in the mess hall and chat with your AI buddies. That's all we expected, and all possible with currently existing technology.

But no, apparently we need a mission where we fly through a big gas cloud (tech supposedly very close, but still not done), EVA out to a derelict ship (tech done, but it took years) land on a planet (tech done, but it took years), fight some AI in first-person (tech mostly done), rescue an AI companion (not done), fight our way to a hangar and escape with her.

And I have to ask myself... why? Why was all of this necessary for the first frigging episode? We don't know much about SQ42, but the updates have made it clear that they're working on Vanduul AI that handles how they decide when to use which melee attacks... why are we even getting close enough to the Vanduul that this is necessary tech?? In episode fucking ONE?! You're a pilot! Of a space fighter! You've got the perfect scenario right there for a simple campaign of space combat missions, but instead of starting off with something simple, Chris has decided to jump right ahead to the most complicated possible scenario you could imagine. But he made a promise, and now he won't back down. I can respect Chris's dedication to his art... but he's fucking insane.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Comparing Star Citizen to No Man's Sky is a slap in the face to the latter. Say what you will about the controversy but the NMS team released an actual product that people could play, and then they worked to improve it on an ongoing basis.

Star Citizen has been vaporware since its inception and hasn't even delivered 5% of what was promised in terms of actual gameplay.

Comparing Star Citizen to No Man's Sky is a slap in the face to the latter. Say what you will about the controversy but the NMS team released an actual product that people could play, and then they worked to improve it on an ongoing basis.

Star Citizen has been vaporware since its inception and hasn't even delivered 5% of what was promised in terms of actual gameplay.

Except for the part where you somehow don't know what vaporware is and then everything you said after that you are absolutely correct.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I am getting the distinct impression a number of you have never installed Star Citizen in a good long while, if ever honestly.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sure, but if Star Citizen launches at all it's never going to have even a fraction of the features they've promised. 100+ systems? Don't make me laugh. And that's assuming the game is ever going to come out, which at this point I would not say is a very safe assumption!

Remember a year ago when we were all arguing about them announcing SQ42 would hit beta in Q2 2020 and some of us said it would never happen, then they pushed that back to Q3 2020 because they were changing their dev processes, then in March they said their roadmap was inaccurate, and now 7 months later Q3 2020 has come and gone with no further updates except an epic troll of "here's a [undated] roadmap for our new roadmap"?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

And as if on que from today's 8 Year Anniversary AMA:
    "You're not really asking about what is being worked on Squadron 42, you really just want to know when it will be done," Roberts said.

"The best answer for your question is Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date but instead once all the tech and content is finished, polished and it plays great. I am not willing to compromise making a game I believe in with all my heart and soul, and even though everyone (including me) wants Squadron 42 sooner than later, it would be doing a huge disservice to everyone working really hard on the project and all of you that are looking forward to it to deliver something that isn't great.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    I mean, one thing to appreciate is that it's not like he's lying or anything, and it sounds like he's also managed to realize that his date prediction skills are so bad that it's not worth saying anything. Better to say "it will come out when everything is finished" than "it will come out by X," because no matter how far in the future X is, we all know he'd be wrong like he has been literally every other time. Maybe internalizing the fact that he has no idea when it will come out is going to be the first step in the road to deciding that maybe he can cut, like, a single feature, ever, for the sake of having a game, ever.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    SC's delays are down to Roberts apparently not compromising on anything and simulate everything.

Which, even as a fan of Star Citizen, makes me want to fucking scream, sometimes.

The big ticket item right now is server meshing. Maybe if that works out well, they can run all these simulations without the game just fucking dying. But honestly, even if it works perfectly, I'm skeptical of the actual added value of modeling player armor hardness and thickness and angle of impact and location in order to simulate penetration and injury. Like, if I get shot in the leg hard, make it cause a leg injury. Jeez. It doesn't need to be that complicated. I start getting frustrated!

... so then I load into New Babbage just as sunrise begins, and watch the rosy pink hue of sunlight start crawling down the distant buildings, lighting up the mountain backdrop, and goddamn it this game is beautiful as fuck.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh hey...what's this? A Squadron 42 focused video? What timing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-fWiYJ1I4

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    guess what, trying to simulate the actual universe in all its complexity is not conductive to releasing a game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    oh btw, 8 years?

that's fucking ridiculous

edit - wooooooooooooooooooooooow, all of the First Person Shooter scenes in that video ACTIVELY are driving me away from SQ42 as a product and that fucking SUUUUUUUUUCKS. I can not tell you how disappointing that is. Plus, the 17 minute video has only 2 minutes of SQ42 footage, and of that maybe 10 seconds was real gameplay. fuck this entire video.

edit 2 - and this is coming from somebody who plays every FPS that comes out pretty much, but that's not what I fucking backed nor what was advertised. I get it, he wants to make it neat, but fuck this.
    edit 3 - this is the fucking youtube description btw
    Join Chris Roberts for a Squadron 42 progress update, and a formal introduction to our new Squadron-centric quarterly series, The Briefing Room.
    a new QUARTERLY show?! when the fuck is this video game coming out? what in the world, every part of this video just is the worst.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    oh btw, 8 years?

edit - wooooooooooooooooooooooow, all of the First Person Shooter scenes in that video ACTIVELY are driving me away from SQ42 as a product and that fucking SUUUUUUUUUCKS. I can not tell you how disappointing that is. Plus, the 17 minute video has only 2 minutes of SQ42 footage, and of that maybe 10 seconds was real gameplay. fuck this entire video.

edit 2 - and this is coming from somebody who plays every FPS that comes out pretty much, but that's not what I fucking backed nor what was advertised. I get it, he wants to make it neat, but fuck this.
    Join Chris Roberts for a Squadron 42 progress update, and a formal introduction to our new Squadron-centric quarterly series, The Briefing Room.
    a new QUARTERLY show?! when the fuck is this video game coming out? what in the world, every part of this video just is the worst.

*slowly loads tranq gun*

edited October 2020
    oh btw, 8 years?

*slowly loads tranq gun*

Can you tranq me too while you're at it, and wake me when we've got some actual progress to show? Or maybe I should find a big pile of snow and freeze myself like Cartman waiting for the Wii. I'm sure at some point all of this background tech they've been working on for years is going to start coming together, but that point is clearly not today, nor is it going to be any time soon. I want to be excited for Star Citizen, but everything that's come out of CIG recently feels like they're trying to stretch too little content into too much video.

Mr Ray on
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    oh btw, 8 years?

*slowly loads tranq gun*

Can you tranq me too while you're at it, and wake me when we've got some actual progress to show? Or maybe I should find a big pile of snow and freeze myself like Cartman waiting for the Wii. I'm sure at some point all of this background tech they've been working on for years is going to start coming together, but that point is clearly not today, nor is it going to be any time soon. I want to be excited for Start Citizen, but everything that's come out of CIG recently feels like they're trying to stretch too little content into too much video.

Look man, it's a tranq gun not a cryogenic chamber :P

Though tbh I do think they've been showing progress overall but I 100% agree the progress on SQ42 has not been good enough.

Honestly I think they should have focused on getting a 20-30 mission long flight campaign out first and then the combined Flight+FPS stuff should have come later as a free expansion once they were legit ready to launch the official persistent universe.

Mr Ray wrote: »
    oh btw, 8 years?

*slowly loads tranq gun*

Can you tranq me too while you're at it, and wake me when we've got some actual progress to show? Or maybe I should find a big pile of snow and freeze myself like Cartman waiting for the Wii. I'm sure at some point all of this background tech they've been working on for years is going to start coming together, but that point is clearly not today, nor is it going to be any time soon. I want to be excited for Start Citizen, but everything that's come out of CIG recently feels like they're trying to stretch too little content into too much video.

Look man, it's a tranq gun not a cryogenic chamber :P

Though tbh I do think they've been showing progress overall but I 100% agree the progress on SQ42 has not been good enough.

Honestly I think they should have focused on getting a 20-30 mission long flight campaign out first and then the combined Flight+FPS stuff should have come later as a free expansion once they were legit ready to launch the official persistent universe.

Except for the slight issue where the "Flight+FPS stuff" is the core of SQ42. So, without those, SQ42 wouldn't have anything. I mean...they're building the core tech for SQ42 in the PU, so it's kind of a weird ask for them to release SQ42 stuff when, this whole time, they've been actively building the systems for it and letting people test/try those systems out.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Right, as it currently stands "Flight+FPS stuff" is the core of SQ 42.

It didn't have to be.

Yeah I mean the Wing Commander series (aka games to which SQ42 is a spiritual sequel) somehow managed to get by without FPS sequences. Certainly it got by without having entire levels where you get out of your ship to play Splinter Cell for a while. The fact that we've blown by like twelve release dates for SQ42 suggests that perhaps it might've been better not to aim so high...

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do wonder if, like, in ten years when this game still isn't out, will any of the code that was developed actually be innovative enough to sell to another studio or tech house so that someone will actually do something with it, or will it just die with this tech demo whenever it finally gets canned?

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I do wonder if, like, in ten years when this game still isn't out, will any of the code that was developed actually be innovative enough to sell to another studio or tech house so that someone will actually do something with it, or will it just die with this tech demo whenever it finally gets canned?

I can't see that happening
    Cloud Imperium is doing things so bass ackwards and focusing so much on extraneous useless (in gameplay optimization terms) stuff...
    People have actually useful and well developed tools, engines, plugins, solutions for mostly whatever they want. Plus they're all using unity and Unreal Engine.

And I'd pay MORE money for Sq42 not having fucking horrible FPS crap. I'd guess most people who just want a new AAA wing commander feel the same.

camo_sig2.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    They aren't even using unity, they're using lumberyard, which is some weird amazon fork of cry engine that nobody is using.

They will never be able to license out anything they're doing.

Edit - misread, thought @Stormwatcher said they were using unity lol

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    is the drink mixing game finished yet. what about the farming system so i can grow crops on the land i already purchased

star citizen can never come out i have already been entertained plenty by it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    edited October 2020
    Right, as it currently stands "Flight+FPS stuff" is the core of SQ 42.

It didn't have to be.

Except it was always pitched as "Flight+FPS"...like, from the get-go.

rwuci1o2c2pb.jpg
    (third from the bottom bullet-point)

So, if you didn't want the FPS side of thing, I dunno... /shrug?

EDIT - okay, granted, that screen cap was from the 2016 presentation...but the FPS side of things was a big part of the original pitch. Being able to walk to the briefing room, run to your ship, climb inside, fly to a target, clear a LZ on a large cap ship, and break in through an airlock was a chain of actions I distinctly recall being hyped up way back in 2013.

Erlkönig on
    I do wonder, once SQ42 comes out, how much of the art assets can be immediately ported over to the PU. There's gonna be at least a few systems, right?

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Assuming they aren't doing anything entirely stupid with how assets work between the SQ42 and SC, I'd imagine the only reason the star systems aren't in already is to keep shit small and contained until they get the server tech sorted to have enough players that it isn't a ghost town.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Assuming they aren't doing anything entirely stupid with how assets work between the SQ42 and SC, I'd imagine the only reason the star systems aren't in already is to keep shit small and contained until they get the server tech sorted to have enough players that it isn't a ghost town.

It was always my interpretation of CIG's updates that the workflow is reverse of what you guys are saying. Assets are made for SC (because they're going to have to be done anyways) and transitioned over to be used in SQ42.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

It was always my interpretation of CIG's updates that the workflow is reverse of what you guys are saying. Assets are made for SC (because they're going to have to be done anyways) and transitioned over to be used in SQ42.
    Tech assets sure, but unless all of SQ42 is gonna be bouncing between a handful of planets in one system, I suspect the existing universe there is bigger than what the PU has.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    is the drink mixing game finished yet. what about the farming system so i can grow crops on the land i already purchased

star citizen can never come out i have already been entertained plenty by it

You should come play with us, some of the new changes are pretty nice. I haven't had the chance to do them in the new patch yet but I hear that doing hotdrops into bunker missions are a lot more hectic now since the defense turret AI has been upgraded.

What ships do you have, anyway? I used some store credit to check out the 135c, but it wasn't really to my liking. I think I'm gonna stick with the Aurora LN as my basic low cost entry level ship (even though it flies like a brick). It's nice that there are a lot of options for what are essentially "second tier" starter ships, in case a new player wants to upgrade from their Aurora/Mustang starter but doesn't want to spend more than a few bucks.

Tech assets sure, but unless all of SQ42 is gonna be bouncing between a handful of planets in one system, I suspect the existing universe there is bigger than what the PU has.

I mean, the PU isn't just going to be the one system. They've been building other planets/moons/stations and star systems and using the current incarnation of the PU as their testbed to refine their workflow putting new locations in the game.

Well, if you take what they've said at face value.

vkjqqurldk25.png

you're just confirming my statements. I was backer 2000, I was right at the front of the line to fund this thing.

and that sentence up there is why I got a refund a long time ago.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2020
    vkjqqurldk25.png

you're just confirming my statements. I was backer 2000, I was right at the front of the line to fund this thing.

You probably should've refunded back in 2012, too then (or not pledged from the get go).

2012:

rq0p0qn9g9h2.jpg

2013:

ywukuaeyj6c6.jpg

And I have PC Gamer magazine from early-2014 (March, Issue 250) where they say:
    The creator of Wing Commander brings the project credibility and a universe-sized list of ideas. Star Citizen will be a single-player campaign, Squadron 42, in the vein of Wing Commander. It will feature a persistent shared universe, complete with a simulated economy, dogfighting, exploration (both on and off planets), and first-person shooting on and off ships -- even in space.

So, I don't know where the whole thought process of the FPS stuff being particularly new is coming from.

Erlkönig on
    I believe only a few systems of the total are going to be as densely packed as Stanton with unique locations. The vast majority of systems are planned to just be planets with the occasional generic station or ground outpost, with most significant landmarks left to players to build, like low security space in EVE. So filling out most systems should continue apace once they settle on a set of tools.

When that happens, who knows. If ever.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    vkjqqurldk25.png

You probably should've refunded back in 2012, too then (or not pledged from the get go).

2012:

rq0p0qn9g9h2.jpg

2013:

ywukuaeyj6c6.jpg

The creator of Wing Commander brings the project credibility and a universe-sized list of ideas. Star Citizen will be a single-player campaign, Squadron 42, in the vein of Wing Commander. It will feature a persistent shared universe, complete with a simulated economy, dogfighting, exploration (both on and off planets), and first-person shooting on and off ships -- even in space.

So, I don't know where the whole thought process of the FPS stuff being particularly new is coming from.

It's not new, but those "features" are also not from the Kickstarter. Even the first one you show is a good 7 months after the Kickstarter ended. They'd already gotten addicted to the money flow and started going insane with scope creep rather than locking in their feature list and actually trying to finish the game.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    vkjqqurldk25.png

2012:

rq0p0qn9g9h2.jpg

2013:

ywukuaeyj6c6.jpg

It's not new, but those "features" are also not from the Kickstarter. Even the first one you show is a good 7 months after the Kickstarter ended. They'd already gotten addicted to the money flow and started going insane with scope creep rather than locking in their feature list and actually trying to finish the game.

Look closer.

The first one is November 14, 2012. Literally 1 day after the launch of the crowdfunding campaign.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sweet, new posts, people must be talking about stuff from a new patch or something, maybe another on of those neat fan videos from the existing content...

...welp, never fucking mind, I guess.

Sweet, new posts, people must be talking about stuff from a new patch or something, maybe another on of those neat fan videos from the existing content...

...welp, never fucking mind, I guess.

Well...it did kick off with the announcement video for their new Squadron 42 update video series "The Briefing Room".

So, at least it kinda is related to talking about stuff in a newly released update video they posted.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    The ROC is pretty neat, it's fun to drive a little mining buggy around. You can even fit it in the hold of the Freelancer, if you're really careful.
    I haven't been able to get it to mine any large rocks (obsidian/gneiss deposits) or collect the leavings from smaller rocks (hadanite/aphorite), but it can break the larger hadanite deposits and then you can get out and FPS stow them. But it seems like the collection laser has to be useful for something, right?

Dac wrote: »
    I do wonder, once SQ42 comes out, how much of the art assets can be immediately ported over to the PU. There's gonna be at least a few systems, right?

What little we've learned about SQ42 recently is that it mostly takes place within the Odin system. If you check the star map the route from Stanton to Odin goes Stanton -> Pyro -> Nyx -> Odin, so they're definitely setting us up for a little four-system chain since Stanton is mostly done, Pyro sounds mostly done but who knows, Nyx is the system where Levski and Delamar is supposed to go, so at least 1 planet and the main landing zone are done, and Odin should be covered by SQ42.

We've also heard something a bit contradictory this week from the AMA they did on Spectrum; previously they had stated that Server Meshing wasn't necessary to have multiple systems in the game, and that we'd be getting Pyro soon even if Server Meshing wasn't ready to go. This week Todd Papy said that the current plan was to debut Nyx at the same time as the initial implementation of Server Meshing. But the last we've heard from a relevant dev, meshing is still a way off... so who even knows anymore. The fact that they've now got nothing on the roadmap for the next three months makes me think they're on the cusp of something big being ready to go, but don't want to commit to it in case they can't deliver in time. Is it server meshing? Probably not. Can a man dream, in spite of everything? Yes, and you can't stop me.

antherem wrote: »
    The ROC is pretty neat, it's fun to drive a little mining buggy around. You can even fit it in the hold of the Freelancer, if you're really careful.
    I haven't been able to get it to mine any large rocks (obsidian/gneiss deposits) or collect the leavings from smaller rocks (hadanite/aphorite), but it can break the larger hadanite deposits and then you can get out and FPS stow them. But it seems like the collection laser has to be useful for something, right?

In my experience you have to hold the ROC's collection laser on the small chunks for a few seconds before it actually slurps them up.

nothing there says "sq42 will have fps gameplay"
    just SC

regardless that's not the point, the point is that there's still no SQ42 in 2020 and there won't be for at least another year (and probably longer than that).

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.