As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Trading Card Game

Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club ChampionA fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
I have never really been into Pokemon or the TCG but my niece and nephew are starting to get into them, and I'd appreciate some resources to learning about the TCG. Are there good videos or guides on learning how to play, how to start up, which cards are worth keeping, etc.? This stuff has been around so long that everything I can find is several years old, and I have no idea if things have changed since then...

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    You could have them download the computer game if they're really wanting to play. But as far as what's good, maybe hit up some places like Troll and Toad and see what's expensive and what's not, maybe do some reading as far as decklists? Official tournaments were cancelled for the year because of Covid, though.

Most of the game hasn't really changed- sixty-card decks, six prizes off the top, first to score six K.O.s or run their opponent out of pokemon wins. There are some new kinds of cards you might want to familiarize yourself with, but... the core of it hasn't changed.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    EX Pokemon are more powerful, but give your opponents more prizes when defeated.
    Only one trainer card can be played per turn (for instance Bill: draw 2 is now a Trainer, but there are still Item cards).
    There are Arena cards which affect the battlefield, and both players, but replace any previous arena cards.

Or at least those were the changes from a while ago.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    There's a free to play PC version that teaches you the game, and unlike most computer versions of card games, each IRL booster has a code for the booster for digital. Any premades have codes for online equivalents as well. I would start there.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Also the Pokemon Battle Academy is a 20-dollar-ish starter set that comes with three complete decks, a board for playing on, and step-by-step instructions on how to play. I picked up a copy to give my 5-year old for Christmas, and all the reviews I've seen describe it as a wonderful introduction to the game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the help! The Battle Academy looks really intriguing as an option...

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    There's a free to play PC version that teaches you the game, and unlike most computer versions of card games, each IRL booster has a code for the booster for digital. Any premades have codes for online equivalents as well. I would start there.

Make them accounts, and then let them put the codes in on their account. Let them build decks, but don't allow them to trade cards until you know what's really good and what's really bad because you WILL get swindled on the in-game trade boards if you don't know what you have.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?