As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Fireflash wrote: »
    My friend lent me his Occulus Rift. Maybe I'll buy it from him but I'm also curious about headsets that don't require sensors around my room. They make my living room more cluttered and I don't like the idea of recalibrating everytime I take them out.

Also, I find that even when I place the Rift as well as I could, the middle of my view is fine but gets hazy the further you get from center. Is this something I have to accept for all VR heasdets?

Lets say I instead get a Quest 2 with a link cable. What's the tradeoff from an Occulus Rift? Is the tracking inferior or more difficult from not having external sensors in my room?

I'm also open for suggestions of not too expensive games to try other than BeatSaber.

The sweet spot in the center of the headset's view is a thing for all headsets as far as I know. Some are better about it, some are worse. I'm pretty sure the original Oculus Rift and Vive are going to be at the worse end. I think you can Google "sweet spot" + (name of headset) to see what people think.

The Oculus Quest 2 will require a Facebook account, as noted. Tracking will be worse than a sensor solution (Rift CV1, Vive, Index), especially in situations where the controllers are behind you, but reports seem to be that it's in a pretty good place now for the Rift S and Quest. I think Drez noted some jankiness with the Link cable, such that he was able to get it working better streaming over wireless.

Free things to try: Aircar, Google Earth, The Lab, Oculus Dreamdeck, Star Wars Droid Repair Bay. You probably won't be able to get Robo Recall for free, but I'm not sure.

Inexpensive stuff: TheBlu, Titans of Space, Please Don't Touch Anything 3D

Slightly more expensive ($15): Space Pirate Trainer, Superhot VR, Dead Secret, Pinball FX2 VR

Stuff that you might have on Steam that have VR for free: Prey Typhon Hunter, Payday 2, the Project CARS games, Assetto Corsa, the Dirt Rally games, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Race the Sun, Redout, Grip, Rise of the Tomb Raider (if you have the Blood Ties level), Sublevel Zero, Overload, Everspace, Subnautica, Tabletop Simulator, DCS, War Thunder, Zone of the Enders, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Obduction, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Star Wars Squadrons

Orogogus on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Also, consider viveport. It's a sub service that has a really terrible noise to actually good stuff ratio, but it does have a lot of the "good, but maybe not long enough to justify their price tag" games on it. Right now they have a promo to get saints and sinners if you sign up for a year, other times they have discounted subs

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Tracking is "worse" than something with external sensors, but keep in mind that even with the Quest 1 it's a very good experience. I'm able to play games without noticing for the most part.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    kime wrote: »
    Tracking is "worse" than something with external sensors, but keep in mind that even with the Quest 1 it's a very good experience. I'm able to play games without noticing for the most part.

Does the headset sometimes lose track of your controller positions when you flail your arms around?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507

Does the headset sometimes lose track of your controller positions when you flail your arms around?

Probably? I think when my hands go far behind my shoulders or behind me? I don't really notice it much though when I'm flailing around in Beat Saber :P . I'll notice a jerk-y motion maybe occasionally on the edges but I'm able to play without it messing anything up.

Steam profile
    Tbh, I have the headset lose tracking more often than the controllers

steam_sig.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    My friend lent me his Occulus Rift. Maybe I'll buy it from him but I'm also curious about headsets that don't require sensors around my room. They make my living room more cluttered and I don't like the idea of recalibrating everytime I take them out..

I'm running the original Vive, and I don't usually have to recalibrate. I do it maybe once every few months, but the system seems good at tolerating any minor changes between sessions.

That said, you do still have to have the sensors in your room, and they do make the space a little cluttered.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My Quest 2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8PM via Amazon but hasn't shipped yet which is troubling.

Best Buy has shipped my Quest 2 earbuds (Logitech G333) and Comfort Face Pad Things, both of which are coming tomorrow, but my elite strap + battery hasn't shipped yet which is the most desired of all accessories.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I hit the Order button on the Index. Whether I get it depends on events in early November, but since it takes 8 weeks I can just cancel it well before it's an issue.

Everything has shipped!

All I hope now is that Oculus doesn't disable my ability to set up developer mode on the Quest 2 by tomorrow. Or is that account wide? I mean, mine is already configured that way, so does that mean I'm already all set other than enabling it on the Quest 2?

Hmm.

Also, I wonder how much additional battery life the elite strap + battery pack will afford me.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So someone put together a video of some light saber mod Blade & Sorcery footage, and yeah it looks kind of awesome (NSFW brutal lightsaber kills):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_bF2gN6fRE&ab

Fiatil on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The AI does not look very good for that game :lol: Gotta get some of the JK2JO/JKJA AI in there.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Lol yeah it's definitely not made for light saber style instakills. It works better with the base game and medieval weaponry, but I wont say it's amazing or anything.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Everything has shipped!

All I hope now is that Oculus doesn't disable my ability to set up developer mode on the Quest 2 by tomorrow. Or is that account wide? I mean, mine is already configured that way, so does that mean I'm already all set other than enabling it on the Quest 2?

Hmm.

Also, I wonder how much additional battery life the elite strap + battery pack will afford me.

They are disabling the ability to setup Developer mode? My quest arrives tomorrow as well, is there something I should be doing now.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I got my Quest 2 today, and it's great! The screen quality is fantastic, and I love the freedom of cables. But does anyone else hear the buzz of the fan noise even when you're not in a game? I don't hear it while playing, of course, but it's a little obnoxious otherwise. Standing in the Home area and bzzzz-pause for a split second as I move my head-bzzzzzz-tilt and it stops for a moment-zzzzzzzz! I don't want to return it if that's normal, so I'd love to know if anyone else has the same fan behavior.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Well, the Quest 2 is amazing.

Dixon wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Everything has shipped!

Hmm.

They are disabling the ability to setup Developer mode? My quest arrives tomorrow as well, is there something I should be doing now.

No, not that I know of. I'm just a cynic and distrustful. I'm gonna try to set it up right now.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Multiplayer Beat Saber launched today, doesn't have crossplay out of the box, so I have no clue how fragmented we are for attempting anything.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Looks like I don't have to even @ you, @Dixon :)

Granted, the PC side was already configured on my PC (SideQuest and Virtual Desktop installed and configured) since I set this up for the Quest 1 already, but, regardless, I got the Quest 2 set up between when I was last posting and now. Totally wireless, no latency for my setup. It's a dream. Took me ~30 minutes. I tested Fallout 4 VR totally wirelessly and it worked great.

General comments, not directed specifically to you, Dixon: Sure, YMMV. I have a beast PC with an i9-9900k and an RTX 2080 Ti, plus gigbit service (even though I only get around 450 Mbps due to specific physical limitations). I'm surprised, though, since my router - while not too far away - is through 2 walls with respect to my router's and PC's relative positions in the home.

Anyway, I don't mention my setup to brag, but depending on one's setup, certain factors could work against your latency. I'm still quite floored by the simplicity of the setup and how awesome it is.

Also, the Quest 2 is comfy AF. Even though I am getting the Elite Strap tomorrow, the default strap feels more secure than the Quest 1 did. I was expecting otherwise based on earlier Quest 2 commentary (which, admittedly, I didn't engage too deeply with).

In conclusion, Quest 2 gets an A+ from me.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Multiplayer Beat Saber launched today, doesn't have crossplay out of the box, so I have no clue how fragmented we are for attempting anything.

I'm way too tired for that tonight but I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Ah nice that's good to hear. I've got a Archer AC-1900 router I can hook up, I've just been using our ISP's combo unit out of laziness and it being rather quick (Bell Home Hub 3000)

It's just local network speeds though I assume? I've got 1.5/1 gbps so shouldn't be an issue either way.

I've got a beefy rig, although gpu is only a 2070 so I figure I'll have some issues there for now. (3080 on backorder, but we all know what that means)

I'm glad it's comfortable, my CV1 gets pretty rough after some squadrons so hopefully this is better. I haven't picked up the elite strap but I'll see how the default is.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not sure how much is overreacting to change, but the Beat Saber reddit is up in arms over the update, apparently it borked a lot of stuff, beyond what usually breaks with each update.

Oh brilliant
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Mods to manage custom songs from beastsaber don't work anymore but that's just because the UI was completely reworked.
    Unfortunately some people have reported major issues with block position/orientation that seems to be caused by saber and room offsets.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Several dozen people are reporting being banned instantly when creating new accounts to use their Quest. Apparently no recourse beyond "Enjoy your expensive paperweight"

I'm guessing that their "Is this a bot or spammer" system is being extra twitchy right now and spewing out false positives.

Phoenix-D on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I keep reading the Quest 2 has a smaller selection of games. My oldest wants VR for Christmas, and he's always on Steam. Is the Rift S the way to go if I want to keep it under $500?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I keep reading the Quest 2 has a smaller selection of games. My oldest wants VR for Christmas, and he's always on Steam. Is the Rift S the way to go if I want to keep it under $500?

I think the dedicated Quest library is smaller but there are two methods to using the regular library that a rift s also uses.

Other people on the forum have better experience with it. I’m just getting started with my Quest 2 tonight.

edited October 2020
    Using it with steam vr is basically just plugging in a usb cable and installing the occulus program

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2020
    It’s actually spelled Occccccccccculus.

edit: Just some light ribbing ;) I’ve been seeing varying amounts of Cs all over the interwebs.

Drez on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Don't install the occultist program.

Or do, I'm not your parent.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Spoit wrote: »
    Using it with steam vr is basically just plugging in a usb cable and installing the occulus program

No tricks needed to use Steam games with the Quest 2? I'm trying to make the decision this week.

No tricks needed to use Steam games with the Quest 2? I'm trying to make the decision this week.

At the very least, keep in mind in this situation their PC needs to be capable of running VR. It's essentially doing all the work when you connect the headset.

Steam profile
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

I don't believe there are a ton of tricks needed, but I think Drez said that he saw performance issues with the Quest 1 w/Link cable, and that he had better luck streaming over wireless (which does require some tricks, which he wrote up earlier). I don't know if that's improved on the Quest 2 or not.

At the very least, keep in mind in this situation their PC needs to be capable of running VR. It's essentially doing all the work when you connect the headset.

I mean, if he goes with a Rift S it would be the same issue also. You need a decent rig to play VR games.

His computer has a 8gb 590 Saphire with a 3600 and 16gb of RAM. Looks like it should run VR with the Rift S fairly well.

yeah that’s def good enough, I don’t think you’d have trouble with either headset

Orogogus wrote: »

I don't believe there are a ton of tricks needed, but I think Drez said that he saw performance issues with the Quest 1 w/Link cable, and that he had better luck streaming over wireless (which does require some tricks, which he wrote up earlier). I don't know if that's improved on the Quest 2 or not.

Correct, except it wasn't with the Link cable, it was with the included Quest 1 charging cable which was enabled to be used for Oculus Link. That cable is USB 2.0 even though it was USB-C, I guess. That said, I'm starting to think USB is just crap in general.

Wireless was flawless for me on Quest 1 and now again on Quest 2.

edited October 2020
    So, guys, I got basically all of the Quest 2 accessories EXCEPT the Link cable and put them all together.

This includes:

Elite Strap with Battery Pack
    Comfort 2 Fit Pack
    Logitech G333 in-ear earphones
    Carrying case

I love them. The elite strap with the battery pack is heavier than I expected. I have to admit, I like the soft strap a lot too. Was very comfortable for me. But all these accessories together do provide a comfortable "locked to your face" feel (that sounds ominous but I mean it in a good way). It also blocks out all external light.

Well, all those accessories except the carrying case which does not actually attach to your face.

Anyway, if you have the money to blow, I like them all. The Logitech G333 earphones are good too but that's the most skippable item if you like a cheaper brand. Still, I do like them a lot, too. I admit I haven't played too many games that test the audio yet, so I'll expound on that more tomorrow - my little one line review here is more about the fit.

Drez on
    edited October 2020
    I have a pair of over-ears that are coming that connect via bluetooth, I'm hoping they work decently with the quest 2.

I didn't even realize there were Logitech oculus certified earbuds.

Dixon on
    I played some Vader Immortal and some VR video content and the Logitech G333s are good.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Hey guys, I'm currently a bit on the fence between buying a 3d printer or a VR set. I have a budget of about $1200 (unfortunately this includes the potential necessity to upgrade my GTX 1070). TBH I've never even got a chance to try a VR set at all, so for now I'm just basing my thoughts on video reviews etc. but here's my main concern:
    It looks like we're getting there in terms of resolution and image quality but for me the FOV has always been a bigger concern (which is why my gaming desktop monitor has a natural horizontal viewing angle of about 105° - albeit a measly 35° for vertical). However, this chart shows that hardly anyone tried for a realistic viewing angle and those who did (Pimax and StarVR) are already outdated.
    I wear glasses, which have an angle of about 120°-130° (never measured it exactly) so it looks like the Valve Index would satisfy my expectations here. Given that neither HTC nor Oculus tried for higher FOV, is there some obstacle or technical problem which is why I shouldn't even bother with wider FOV?

I'm also truly dismayed that in this age of ultra-widescreen monitors and VR games nobody seems to be including an option for cylindrical projection in their games (rather than the default flat) but that's a different subject entirely.

Mayday on