As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm good with procs. Despite the 95% hit check there, yours looks like it's got pretty low accuracy potentially with 6 procs and no accuracy buffs.

hgg53mk3h38b.png

Nah you could think of it with 5 procs but if you stay at 95% vs +4 thats good enough.Martial Combat has Reach of the Limit that buffs additional +To Hit. With higher defender numbers that should no problem as well. I run DA story arc or farm maps at +4/x8 so it seems to working for me.

In case of Blasters you can e.g. split Superiors Blaster's Wrath IO threefold for 3*+15%ACC bonus, throw in +6 To Hit from Kismet IO and a additional power like RotL that buffs +To Hit, you got a working base for a build.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Defenders don't get RotL though, obvs.

I've got plenty of global accuracy, but some builds struggle (without Tactics) to hit the sweet spot of 95% vs +4s. Mine's got good accuracy vs +4s and pretty incredible damage for a defender, with the added bonus of All Those Tasty Debuffs. :9

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I agree, playing a defender is like taking a poison/dp: very poopy

Counterpoint: Fire Blast.

You can take all your facts and evidence and toss 'em!

Defenders: Not Even Once

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    "screenshot_2005-10-15-01-43-24"
    r69610c314ej.jpg

Fifteen years ago. Damn.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    Fifteen years ago. Damn.

Greetings from 2008, where the pixels are jaggy but we get by.

T5NEaot.jpg
    4EEeL8P.jpg
    7uYcAH2.jpg
    CQDtWX3.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    I know this is a very choosing beggars style post, but this has been quite a few patches since August, and I've yet to see a bug fix for a bug I reported, had acknowledged and added to The List to Fix, that has yet to be fixed, unless I've missed it in the notes.

I'll have to check today when I get home.

TL;DR if you're running a controller, and you use Cross Punch on a held target, it doesn't get double damage. It instead gets about a 1.75 times increase, instead of a 2x increase.

Apparently this is because someone coded it wrong, and the "second hit" from Cross Punch (1.27 damage scale) on a contained foe doesn't hit them with a second cross cross punch, it hits them with regular Punch (0.76) damage scale.

It's pretty noticeable and made a dumb concept character I wanted to make weaker. Apparently someone else tested it and this bug happens for any passive that does "double" damage, such as stalker's Assasination, Corruptor's Scourge, and Scrapper's Critical Hit
    Pool > Fighting > Cross Punch: Fixed critical damage values
    @Arch, they fixed it! Now your soul can finally be at peace.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I know this is a very choosing beggars style post, but this has been quite a few patches since August, and I've yet to see a bug fix for a bug I reported, had acknowledged and added to The List to Fix, that has yet to be fixed, unless I've missed it in the notes.

I'll have to check today when I get home.

TL;DR if you're running a controller, and you use Cross Punch on a held target, it doesn't get double damage. It instead gets about a 1.75 times increase, instead of a 2x increase.

Apparently this is because someone coded it wrong, and the "second hit" from Cross Punch (1.27 damage scale) on a contained foe doesn't hit them with a second cross cross punch, it hits them with regular Punch (0.76) damage scale.

It's pretty noticeable and made a dumb concept character I wanted to make weaker. Apparently someone else tested it and this bug happens for any passive that does "double" damage, such as stalker's Assasination, Corruptor's Scourge, and Scrapper's Critical Hit
    Pool > Fighting > Cross Punch: Fixed critical damage values
    @Arch, they fixed it! Now your soul can finally be at peace.

Oh my godddd

• Options
    Ya did it, Arch! You made a difference!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    someone on reddit dug up an old 2002 trailer that they couldn't find anywhere else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhF9Gja6aw

Man, look at this shit, individual body part targeting, a 3rd resource bar, SUPER PERSONALITY
    Also foggy Steel Canyon is cool

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    A lot of interesting things that I’m not sure even saw the light of the Beta.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm really wondering what kind of powers would have been in the "Personality" set.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm really wondering what kind of powers would have been in the "Personality" set.

Probably the Presence pool plus maybe a few more?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

It might not even be a powerset. The list also contains Super Vision, Super Willpower, Super Speed, Super Intelligence, and Super Stamina, plus a Stats tab at the top. Super Personality might just be +20 to your Personality stat.

• Options
    I think they initially had plans for a very different game than what launched. I remember hearing that their initial concept for the game ended up not being very workable and required a change to the game system they ended up using

• Options
    Yeah, looking at what they did with Champions, the Super Stats are most likely reskins of the Champions TTRPG stats. You picked these instead of an Archetype and they shifted your role towards DPS, control, support, tank, etc.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Around the time CoH and WoW were in development, there was still a lot of effort to try and recreate tabletop RPG experiences in MMORPGs. CoH largely abandoned that design by release, but vanilla WoW still had touches of that kind of thinking that made it to live (like Rogue's Disarm Trap), which did not fit with the EQ-style 'dungeon running to gear up for raids' gameplay WoW became focused on.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Around the time CoH and WoW were in development, there was still a lot of effort to try and recreate tabletop RPG experiences in MMORPGs. CoH largely abandoned that design by release, but vanilla WoW still had touches of that kind of thinking that made it to live (like Rogue's Disarm Trap), which did not fit with the EQ-style 'dungeon running to gear up for raids' gameplay WoW became focused on.

To be fair, a lot of that was just unwieldly and dumb. Like the original implementation of Soul Shards, or Rogues needing a special powder....to throw at people's eyes (Seriously, what?), or the Hunter's dead zone (you couldn't shoot someone point blank with a rifle because reasons).

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oh, I agree. I'm just pointing out that there was something of a trend of games starting out with this one (much harder to pull off) idea and then shifting into something that MMORPGs did uniquely well, and so a lot of games from that time period (CoH and WoW were only a year apart IIRC) had weird stuff in pre-release builds or early installments, like that CoH video showing a 'personality' stat or ability which implies they might've been considering diplomacy gameplay like you'd see in Fallout or a Bioware game.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Nah, the 'Super Personality' stat was about crit chance. At least it was in Champions.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Yeah, looking at what they did with Champions, the Super Stats are most likely reskins of the Champions TTRPG stats. You picked these instead of an Archetype and they shifted your role towards DPS, control, support, tank, etc.

Seems likely. I think they initially wanted to use the Champions IP for CoH but weren't able to make a deal at that time.

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    but weren't able to make a deal at that time.

thank god

• Options
    edited June 2021
    As someone who's been playing Champions tabletop since 1983(!), and CO more recently, I have to say... there really isn't much of an actual IP there. It's mostly a bunch of bad jokes and pastiches of The Big Two. The game was always, IMO, more of a "build your own" toolkit; any sort of official setting was, like most games of its era, literally an afterthought.

(Actually, what's ironic these days is that often you need to know what was "cool" in comics of the late Silver/early Bronze to recognize what's being stolen copied homaged.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man I'd love some sort of weekly TF where the requirement was turning on the 'no set bonuses' mode. Supports/CC just stop mattering at a certain point when people can soft cap their defense through sets.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Man I'd love some sort of weekly TF where the requirement was turning on the 'no set bonuses' mode. Supports/CC just stop mattering at a certain point when people can soft cap their defense through sets.

I think that support changes to be about resist, both resist buffs and resist debuffs towards enemies. Which is why Sonic Blast on Defenders is ridiculous. Oh and damage and recharge increases, as always. It does favors sets created later on the game's lifecycle since the devs recognized how the meta changed and their answer was: More alts with the cooler sets.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Homecoming just dropped a huge patch on their test server, I27 Page 3
    We got a brand new Strike Force:
    New Strike Force: Chasing Fool’s Gold [Dr. Aeon] (Villain, Level 35-50)

The supervillain genius, Dr. Aeon, has begun to take notice of suspicious unscientific activity going on within Aeon City! Such things are inconceivable! None can be permitted to befoul the glory of his utopia!
    In his unparalleled brilliance, he has decided to enlist the service of local villains for the purpose of helping him maintain and enforce order! Definitely not to deflect any potential responsibility or liabilities from himself! Never!
    However, even his immaculate mind couldn’t predict the culmination of this plot. Decades of planning see the rise of an unexpected threat of which Dr. Aeon played no small part in helping create, in more ways than one!
    Strike Force Contact: Dr. Aeon, Aeon City, Cap Au Diable
    Located atop the balcony of the Arachnos administrative building in Aeon City; This location can be reached through the elevators with rounded doors located inside the lobby.
    Also available through the LFG tab.

Completion of the Dr. Aeon Strike Force will give players the option of selecting a new enhancement category as a reward called D-Sync Origin Enhancements (DSO) once every 18 hours.
    The Dr. Aeon Strike Force also features brand new musical compositions, created specifically for it!
    New Strike Force/Task Force difficulty options, that add brand new modifiers and changes to enemies, including buffs and even new powers at higher difficulty levels (right now only available in Dr. Aeon), including a new mode that solves @Dac 's issue from August (currently available in the new Flashback Lord Recluse SF, which is a version of the LRSF before all the nerfs to it over the years)
    ChallengeSettings.png.c43691773bda07e38d61338fae15befd.png

New Blaster/Corrupter/Defender powersets: Seismic Blast and Earth Manipulation! Also, Stone Melee and Stone Armor for Scrappers.
    Plus new IO sets (Slow, Run, Jump, Fly, Teleport), a brand type of enhancement (D-Sync Origin, from the new Dr. Aeon SF) similar to Hami/Eden enhancements, big buffs to Placate, big changes to Stone Armor and Electric Blast, bringing back a bunch of low-level Crey enemies to all levels, Gold Bricker costume pieces, pool floatie emotes, different gender Arachnos enemies, and a bunch more.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You can't just bury the most important fix.
    Gravity Control's Propel will summon the same object on everyone's screen.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    The time has come and so have I

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Issue 27 Page 4 is now out for Homecoming. The Imperious Task Force now has extra challenge modes just like Dr. Aeon, there's some new sonic control/assault stuff out there building on the "sonic melee" work they did with blaster sound manip, all the extra challenge modes now pay out in glorified Halloween salvage you can turn in for a permanent costume power, and they've stuck reward merits onto the incarnate trials. They also fixed a bug with the aoe sonic melee attack where external damage buffs weren't affecting it, so it should now do much more damage, and revamped the sonic attack set to do more actual damage but have less total resistance shred - Siren's Song and Screech are actually worth taking and using as damage powers.

There's a couple of controversial changes, too, and a lot of them are basically suppressive fire at Architect farming.

The first one is actually a bug fix - if you Architect farmed with multiple types of experience booster on (rest xp + P2W, for example) then they multiplicatively stacked in a way they didn't in the rest of the content because of some peculiarities in the Architect payout calculator. The net effect is that under those conditions Architect was paying out twice or three times what you'd get from fighting the same enemies in the normal game. That was fixed and as a result Architect leveling will be slower for many people.

Previously there was a per-character aggro cap, I imagine for server hardware reasons, where you could only hold aggro from maybe twenty guys at once. This was nice for +4/x8 Architect farming but in the rest of the content you'd occasionally get scenarios where a tanker would get stuck in on a couple big spawns and hit the aggro cap and a few outliers would peel off and start pelting the backline instead. I've seen cases where mobs over the cap actually ran out of one room to go after the rest of a split team in another part of the map. Now, you can hold aggro on many more guys at once and only 20 or so will attempt to close to melee range with you at any time - the rest will hang back and pelt you with their ranged options. As a result, AFK Architect leveling, usually involving maps with aggressive patrols that just stumble across you, will be more dangerous for many people.

When Homecoming was still a secret and you couldn't really count on teams, not only did the devs add veteran levels, the dings beyond 50, they also added incarnate currency - threads and empyrean merits - as a reward for reaching certain veteran levels. Every 3 veteran levels until like 99 or something you get a small payout of empyrean merits, and for the first 12 veteran levels if you don't get empyreans you get some threads instead. The intent was to help you bootstrap yourself into a solid Incarnate build without the need to assemble iTrials that might need more people than a secret server actually had. But in addition to making the stuff you need for incarnate powers, Empyreans are also convertible into Reward Merits, the more universal content payout stuff you can turn into rare craft recipes or utility salvage like enhancement converters and make yourself some bank on the auction house. Or, I should say, Empyreans WERE convertible into Reward Merits - they aren't anymore. Because you could AFK farm somebody up to veteran levels in Architect and cash in all the free empyreans. There's still something sellable you can get with your incarnate stuff if you've genuinely built everything you'll ever need, in that you can buy super inspirations with threads in Ouroboros and sell those, but the payouts aren't as good as Reward Merits -- but on the other hand, doing the incarnate trials now pays out in Reward Merits anyway.

The last one is probably not pointed as squarely at Architect as the others but it's still controversial: attacks only check one defense damage type now, the "dominant damage type" of the effect. This one's a bit of a doozy.

As initially designed, there were two classes of defenses in the game: defense against particular damage types, such as smashing, lethal, fire, and cold; and defense against particular positional classes, which are melee, ranged, and AoE. Every attack had damage types and most attacks had positional classes, though some mind-affecting powers were "positionless" and only did a damage type. To determine hit chance your highest relevant defense was used - for example, an ice sword that did lethal and cold damage in melee would use the highest of your lethal, cold, and melee defenses.

However, damage types were parceled out based mostly on feels rather than balance concerns. Most things that do cold damage do it by pelting you with ice, which is a physical object and is either sharp or blunt meaning it does some small amount of smashing or lethal damage too, right? This was a help to early game damage-type armor sets, which were restricted to only running one of their armors at once, but was never revisited as the game evolved and not only were damage-type armor sets stackable but ancillary pools provided characters with one damage-type armor from a whole set. And then IO set bonuses granted particular damage-type defenses. So if you had a character who was hyper-specialized to stack defense against smashing and lethal damage, you were still covered against most elemental attacks as long as they were at least a little physical, because even though 80% of the damage was elemental you could deflect the physical component and bounce the whole thing.

Well, now even though that ice sword still does lethal and cold damage in melee, it will only check the higher of your melee and cold defenses. Most armor sets with damage-type defenses will now get some bonuses against the less common damage types that they didn't have before - Invulnerability no longer has its gaping psi hole, for example. This primarily affects everyone with an IO build tuned to be hyper-specialized, and to a lesser extent everyone who reluctantly set aside all other possible ancillary pools to open-palm slam Scorpion Shield into the slot for its smashing, lethal and energy defenses.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Glazius wrote: »
    *nerfs*

Good lol, AE farming is lame

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Also, a reminder that we're just a few days away from the ten year anniversary of the shutdown announcement (August 31, 2012). The original servers shut down a few months later, at midnight PST on November 30.

• Options
    Previously there was a per-character aggro cap, I imagine for server hardware reasons, where you could only hold aggro from maybe twenty guys at once.
    Pretty sure that was there for balance reasons, used to be tankers could just pull an entire map, then sit in a container and kill them all with auras.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Previously there was a per-character aggro cap, I imagine for server hardware reasons, where you could only hold aggro from maybe twenty guys at once.
    Pretty sure that was there for balance reasons, used to be tankers could just pull an entire map, then sit in a container and kill them all with auras.

No, the cap wasn't as noticeable on live. It may have existed but most as an accelerated aggro decay, and it was definitely set higher.

The warwolf issue was... a couple things. First it was that enemies had an "emergency jump" where they'd effectively teleport to a location they wanted to go to but the pathing algorithm came back as a shrug, ignoring collision. Combined with a tight container corner and general warwolf chonk, this meant that all the warwolves were winding up at the exact same server coordinates. Because of a technicality in the system, single-target tanker attacks, which applied taunt in a radius, were technically coded as melee area attacks with a radius of 0, meaning all the powerful single-target tanker attacks were effectively AoEs going into the wolf pack.

But this happened because warwolves only had melee attacks and so weren't a threat to a herding tanker. The first attempt at addressing it was to give them Hurl Boulder at frankly obscene scaling levels for anything that didn't resist smashing. But tanks did.

The second was just to put that map on a long mission timer so people couldn't get the mission and then reset it forever.

• Options
    The stories I heard were of people training the entire Perez Park, then sitting in a bin, breaking line of sight so mobs had to get into melee with them, then melting to AoEs.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    The stories I heard were of people training the entire Perez Park, then sitting in a bin, breaking line of sight so mobs had to get into melee with them, then melting to AoEs.

Yeah, I think that one played the telephone game a little too much. You wouldn't herd Perez Park, it's got way too many twisty little passages. The big Perez Park issue was more of people turning fly on and taking pot shots at the hydra lake, hydra mobs also launching with only melee attacks and no ranged.

Eventually they added a ranged spit that applied -fly to all hydras, and also cratered their XP payout in comparison to other things. "Could have done either, decided to do both" was a bit of a depressingly common refrain for early-game nerfs.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    In the old days tanks would pull whole maps into a small area (classically, a fire tank in a dumpster) and just farm away. The aggro cap was implemented to prevent that, or at least make it inefficient.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Empryean Merits change makes me unhappy. Not all content gives reward merits but I could still join rando teams with my 50's and know I was earning merits to pass on to my non-50 characters just by continuing to level. Now my access to Reward Merits is limited to TFs/Trials/iTrials and with the exception of iTrials I'd rather play those with my leveling characters so the XP actually does something.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it's a change that annoys me.

Everything else about page 4 is great

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    My favorite bits about the AE nerfs is that they also destroyed the Atlas and Mercy AE buildings lol
    They turned the Atlas one into a Freedom Corps building that is the new home of Fort Trident, and they burned down the Mercy Island one with nothing left.

• Options
    Joined a Dark Astoria mission team today, doing the Heather Townshend arc, something I don't see pop up in LFG that often. Rescued Sigil and Kadabra Kill, was rewarded with two Empryean Merits, no Reward Merits

...sigh

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    can't you just convert emp merits into regular merits? I feel like I remember doing that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    They just changed it so you can no longer convert Emp merits. They are now only useful for creating Incarnate powers

Edcrab's Exigency RPG