As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    forty wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, but that's pretty much what I was trying to do. I wish this small indie game saved replays to your account, because I'd like to know what you would have done in the barrage of hopeless games I was getting.
    Lapidary, twin slice 2x to hit for 15 damage on Turn 7.
    I don't see how that math doesn't give 13 damage.

Even 15 would be insufficient against all the druid, priest, warriors I was facing. I actually won my single mirror. I faced basically no aggro decks, which looks sort of required to climb with the deck. I faced a Cyclone mage who had the absolute turbonuts and I had no way to remove his Apprentice, so he popped off like crazy and had both giants down by like turn 5.
    It might also just be yet another case of "it's not me, it's you (Blizzard)". Played 6 games tonight. After losing the first game in another butt vs. nut Cyclone Mage matchup, I ended up going 4 wins in a row, including against a Pure Paladin, which appears to be one of its worst matchups(?), and the last win against a Quest Shaman, which I guess people are trying again?

I played one more game, and it was against another Quest Shaman (two in a row? ladder is such a fucking jungle), who got a strong opener, and featured an appearance by what I called to be the stupidest card printed in Descent of Dragons, Nozdormu the Timeless (a call that continues to be proven correct), so naturally I lost with my clunky ass hand. I continue to be unimpressed by Wandmakers, who insist on giving me terrible cards like Felosophy. I still stand by all my comments about how easy it is for this deck to get shafted with bad draws. Double Shardshatter Mystics and no Soul Shard cards to activate them, Hoard Pillager drawn with no weapons, low value Soulciologist blocking Skull from being able to Outcast, etc.

forty on
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    The rank floors mean that you'll get people who autoquit after 3 rounds, meaning you can't get last, but it also means people go crazy greed too. And since it's matching people based on internal stats, you never know if they're in your lobby. I am finding I actually do better during the week and not on the weekends for that reason: I play it safe and get crushed by people who get the nuts, whereas during the week people tend to play more like I do. It's super weird that the meta is different depending on whether you're playing on a weekend evening or during the week day

Narwhal#1834
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Too easy.
    r8d5a8jswyn8.jpeg

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    hey @The Escape Goat

EkJc08YXcAEdL5W.jpg

i did it

8-)

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    The bad heroes are so freaking bad. Chenvalla is not the worst hero ever, but is close. I’d argue about half the cast basically never see play unless you have no other choice. That’s....not a good situation.

I still think they should cross the different breakpoints for SR gain tailored per hero. They have the data

It would make hero selection a risk/reward scenario rather than pure power.

sanstodo wrote: »
    I still think they should cross the different breakpoints for SR gain tailored per hero. They have the data

Yeah. If you can get rag, Jandice or lich king you take them, if you are trying to get higher rank.

zepherin wrote: »

Yeah. If you can get rag, Jandice or lich king you take them, if you are trying to get higher rank.

Yup. So you know that third or higher is the goal (or whatever the data tells them), while a lower tier hero might gain SR for 5th or even 6th.

Yup. So you know that third or higher is the goal (or whatever the data tells them), while a lower tier hero might gain SR for 5th or even 6th.
    Banana republic every time if I was just aiming for top 5 or top 6.

Banana republic every time if I was just aiming for top 5 or top 6.

I have no idea what mukla’s breakpoint is, but it would def change the meta.

edited October 2020

But then the P2W incentive is reduced. Can't have that!

I'd rather they just get off their asses and retune the heroes more often.

forty on
    Dibby wrote: »
    hey @The Escape Goat

EkJc08YXcAEdL5W.jpg

i did it

8-)

*shakes head

Narwhal#1834
    narwhal wrote: »
    hey @The Escape Goat

EkJc08YXcAEdL5W.jpg

i did it

8-)

*shakes head

It’s not that Dibby did that, that is so impressive, it’s that Dibby purposefully did it more than once. It’s truly impressive craftsmanship.

edited October 2020
    narwhal wrote: »
    hey @The Escape Goat

EkJc08YXcAEdL5W.jpg

i did it

8-)

*shakes head

It’s not that Dibby did that, that is so impressive, it’s that Dibby purposefully did it more than once. It’s truly impressive craftsmanship.

that's called commitment

:snap:

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    nice, the weed number

also take the batsignals out when quoting y'all :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for the advice, but that's pretty much what I was trying to do. I wish this small indie game saved replays to your account, because I'd like to know what you would have done in the barrage of hopeless games I was getting.
    Lapidary, twin slice 2x to hit for 15 damage on Turn 7.
    I don't see how that math doesn't give 13 damage.

Even 15 would be insufficient against all the druid, priest, warriors I was facing. I actually won my single mirror. I faced basically no aggro decks, which looks sort of required to climb with the deck. I faced a Cyclone mage who had the absolute turbonuts and I had no way to remove his Apprentice, so he popped off like crazy and had both giants down by like turn 5.
    It might also just be yet another case of "it's not me, it's you (Blizzard)". Played 6 games tonight. After losing the first game in another butt vs. nut Cyclone Mage matchup, I ended up going 4 wins in a row, including against a Pure Paladin, which appears to be one of its worst matchups(?), and the last win against a Quest Shaman, which I guess people are trying again?

I played one more game, and it was against another Quest Shaman (two in a row? ladder is such a fucking jungle), who got a strong opener, and featured an appearance by what I called to be the stupidest card printed in Descent of Dragons, Nozdormu the Timeless (a call that continues to be proven correct), so naturally I lost with my clunky ass hand. I continue to be unimpressed by Wandmakers, who insist on giving me terrible cards like Felosophy. I still stand by all my comments about how easy it is for this deck to get shafted with bad draws. Double Shardshatter Mystics and no Soul Shard cards to activate them, Hoard Pillager drawn with no weapons, low value Soulciologist blocking Skull from being able to Outcast, etc.
    And in my non-meta adventures, I went 2-1 tonight with fucking Big Druid. I needed to clear quests for the extra one tomorrow and was able to double up by playing Druid. I disenchanted Guardian Animals so I checked hsreplay for what else I might be able to make, and thankfully I still had all the cards for the Big Druid list that hasn't changed since Ashes of Outland and only plays, I think, 6 cards from this year's set.

Game 1 I beat some flavor of Enrage Warrior. Nothing too special about my opener. Turn 4 Overgrowth, my first Taunt dragon got Barov'd, but I was able to roll more taunts before he got me too low.
    Game 2 I lost to Pure Paladin with double First Day of School and turn 4/5 +8/8 buffs, which is probably unbeatable for Big Druid.
    Game 3 I beat (drumroll) a Soul DH! He had a solid curve (including turn 6 draw into Skull), but I had a pretty dreamy opener (aside from going second) of turn 1 quest, turn 2 breath, turn 3 overgrowth, turn 4/5 Evasive Drakonids, quest pulled Ysera, which I was able to Ironbark (got silenced), healed up from near death with Alex on turn 7 or so, which got me enough out of range to lethal him next turn with board + Swipe + hero power. It felt like justice though, since he had a weapon and a slew of Twin Slices and both Blade Dances (and the aforementioned silence) in his top dozen or so cards to keep clearing all my taunts.

Big Druid is still fun when things go well.

forty on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    hey "The Escape Goat"
    EkJc08YXcAEdL5W.jpg

i did it

8-)

ce.Ni

Nice-nice.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I had my first 40 health perfect win a few minutes ago.

l14zgx09bhoq.jpeg

Weird game where everyone else going elementals got Nomi and Nomi never showed up for me but I got lucky with pretty much every attack, Jandice got pogos but was taken out by poison Murlocs, and I was just big enough to kill the Murloc boards.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited October 2020

Holy fucking shit, that is the FASTEST turn around time on a BG balance patch I have ever seen

Not only that but they hit up EVERYTHING I could've wanted. Pogo is GONE, Maiev nerf, Rags and Djinni swapping places, buffs to underperforming heroes...

BUFFS TO PIRATES?!?!

please more patches and tweaks like this, thank you

I still wanna see just like, a patch where they go through and tweak up all the underperforming heroes, honestly. Just hit up as many as you can. Make small tweaks like these. Slap +1 attack or health on Illidan's Wingmen, for example.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Patch Notes look good. The elemental changes were needed, there wasn't anything worthwhile for them at 6. Pirate changes should also help somewhat but might not be enough.

I don't know how or why they picked these specific heroes to buff but at least it's something.

edited October 2020
    Dear lord I have no idea where my head is today. I saw a minion I wanted and was like alright cool, I can triple that next turn thanks to the other one I hero powered with Maiev a turn ago. So I froze on it when I had 6 gold left thinking somehow I had none. I also later rolled past a spore I was specifically rolling down for. Still got first even tho I had no business getting it. It was the final game of my last stream if anyone wants to watch the cringiest thing ever.

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ok someone's gonna have to explain to me what is different about Majordom--NEVER MIND I just realized it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Alakir guide:
    Step 1: get Macaw
    Step 2: ????
    Step 3: Profit

6sa90cgheoop.png

Narwhal#1834
    Ugh, the Chenvaala buff is something but doesn't really feel like it resolves the root of his issues.

Ugh, the Chenvaala buff is something but doesn't really feel like it resolves the root of his issues.

i feel like it will only ever so slightly move the needle

which is to say Chen might go from worst hero to like 2nd worst hero maybe

DNiDlnb.png
    edited October 2020
    For the most part, I like the changes they're making to battlegrounds, and they all seem helpful, but the game will still be far from balanced. For starters, moving the selfless hero from tier 1 to 2 doesn't remove very many from the pool (16 copies to 15), and given that it's just a late game unit anyhow all it means is it's slightly more likely to get token starts? The spore from 4 to 5 does significantly reduce copies (11 to 9 will feel impactful) so that makes sense. I am also a big fan of swapping the rag/djinni 5/6 tiers because lil rag was always an endgame card and djinni was not. Patches will always be bad Omu regardless of how much health they give him. I think my biggest surprise is there is no change to Janine.

RIP Bartender Ron

Edit: RIP POGO I did not see that!

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
    Bartendo will prob return at some point like other heroes. But currently he's a worse Omu so it makes sense.

No change to Jandice is because they removed pogos and I think her other strats aren't nearly as oppressive. It's fine to have a look how she turns out and not nerf her into total uselessness.

I fully agree on selfless, I also don't get what they are trying to do there. Moving spore to 5 and not taking out sth else also makes tripling on 4 worse. You now have one more unit that isn't a build-around. Or even two because of djinn.

This is a good patch.

1q9t1bacjgmw.jpeg

There is a twitter thread of dev insights for the new patch. Obviously twitter is a terrible medium for stuff like this, but I'll take what I can get.

Nothing surprising in there, mostly thoughts people in this thread have also expressed. They want to add more pirates down the road, though, that is new info. I get the feeling that the buffed heroes were just easy to buff without doing much work so they did them.

Cora also hit up the HS reddit and said they are looking at improving Demons and that they want to remove Infested Wolf and replace it with something more interesting.

I like that they're being so open about this kinda stuff!

DNiDlnb.png
    Grobian wrote: »
    There is a twitter thread of dev insights for the new patch. Obviously twitter is a terrible medium for stuff like this, but I'll take what I can get.

Nothing surprising in there, mostly thoughts people in this thread have also expressed. They want to add more pirates down the road, though, that is new info. I get the feeling that the buffed heroes were just easy to buff without doing much work so they did them.
    Honestly pogos with shudderwock or bran are not the best in the current meta.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular

Honestly pogos with shudderwock or bran are not the best in the current meta.

Right, because they both lack the consistency of the Jandice HP. Brann almost got there, but you were still at the whims of the re-rolls

in a game mode driven by a ton of randomness, consistency is king

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Removing pogos also increases the power of early game shops to a small extent.

edited October 2020
    Removing Pogos isn't a nerf to Brann/Shudderwock since they're bait and those heroes crap out more often than not when trying to go for them.

Edit: What ronzo said.

forty on
    Thinking about it, the personal stats for BGs are becoming really pointless since they don't reset with seasons or anything. Some people have been playing BGs for nearly a year now, and heroes that have been around this whole time have either changed significantly and/or the game has changed significantly around them. A hero that was high/top tier in the first couple months might be middling to bad now (e.g., AFKay, Brann).

Also, damn, you play a lot of Sindragosa.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Removing pogos also increases the power of early game shops to a small extent.

Yep, and I think that’s one way you could improve poor performing heroes. Give a tweak to their shop appearance - like they do in arena. It’s bad enough when you get offered 4 poor heroes, but on turn 3 when you are offered pogo, ghoul, microbot and argent squire its pretty much a bottom 4 guaranteed.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Thinking about it, the personal stats for BGs are becoming really pointless since they don't reset with seasons or anything. Some people have been playing BGs for nearly a year now, and heroes that have been around this whole time have either changed significantly and/or the game has changed significantly around them. A hero that was high/top tier in the first couple months might be middling to bad now (e.g., AFKay, Brann).

Also, damn, you play a lot of Sindragosa.

I enjoy the challenge of Sindragosa. Also I have gotten really good at getting top 4 with Sind. There’s a not used strategy that can put you into the middle game with a good cushion.

Also I just won an afkay game.

1nftpnoee5po.jpeg

edited October 2020
    After dropping 400 MMR today, felt really good to have a game where I singlehandedly eliminated 6 of the 7 other players. Unfortunately for Dibby, he was the first my Allie roasted with dragonflame

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834

The most useful information is finding out that the Mukla buff only has about a 20% proc rate, which means he will still be total shit. Bleh.