As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    nothing there says "sq42 will have fps gameplay"
    just SC

regardless that's not the point, the point is that there's still no SQ42 in 2020 and there won't be for at least another year (and probably longer than that).

Guarantee you will not see SQ42 until 2022 at the soonest.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    sq42 being a real and released thing is a scary thing for the project. how would it be received by the larger press? worse than being a disaster might be being received with a shrug and being buried by other releases. plus once something is a released game it can only be what it is, as opposed to existing in fans dreams and being whatever they imagine it to be

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think as long as people keep paying them they are going to keep working on it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I'm not exactly mad at Chris Roberts - he's getting to make his dream game without having to contend with his worst enemy, which is the need to actually deliver the game and thus meet deadlines. He's living the dream and hopefully all the people working there are living the dream too. If I were him maybe I'd be doing the same thing! Obviously it's a disaster for people who want to play the game before they die of old age or COVID or whatever, so from our perspective it's kind of a mess, but I don't think Chris Roberts takes himself to be mismanaging things. I think he's perfectly happy with spending another decade or two working on this thing and if it never comes out then at least he had fun along the way.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Look at it this way: as long as he's making games, he's not making any more movies.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    I do wonder, once SQ42 comes out, how much of the art assets can be immediately ported over to the PU. There's gonna be at least a few systems, right?

What little we've learned about SQ42 recently is that it mostly takes place within the Odin system. If you check the star map the route from Stanton to Odin goes Stanton -> Pyro -> Nyx -> Odin, so they're definitely setting us up for a little four-system chain since Stanton is mostly done, Pyro sounds mostly done but who knows, Nyx is the system where Levski and Delamar is supposed to go, so at least 1 planet and the main landing zone are done, and Odin should be covered by SQ42.

We've also heard something a bit contradictory this week from the AMA they did on Spectrum; previously they had stated that Server Meshing wasn't necessary to have multiple systems in the game, and that we'd be getting Pyro soon even if Server Meshing wasn't ready to go. This week Todd Papy said that the current plan was to debut Nyx at the same time as the initial implementation of Server Meshing. But the last we've heard from a relevant dev, meshing is still a way off... so who even knows anymore. The fact that they've now got nothing on the roadmap for the next three months makes me think they're on the cusp of something big being ready to go, but don't want to commit to it in case they can't deliver in time. Is it server meshing? Probably not. Can a man dream, in spite of everything? Yes, and you can't stop me.

From what I was hearing, they want to get iCache and Server Meshing in kind of together. iCache is that thing where they want full persistence of items in the verse. The often referenced thing is Roberts saying you can drop a cup of coffee in a forest on a remote planet, leave, and come back a month later and cup will still be there.

To which I say: bullshit, even if it does work, you're going to have junk data cluttering up your server, you will absolutely do sweeps of garbage.

Anyway. They've said that server meshing is "dependent" on iCache ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17805-Letter-From-The-Chairman ), and iCache is HOPEFULLY (even they say it's a hope, not a promise) Q2 next year.

I now have to find a place to vomit because I can't believe they compared the development of the game to going to the moon and used a JFK clip, jesus christ I'm physically cringing.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Although the analogy is apt in that if you leave a coffee cup on the moon, and go back a month later, it will still be there.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    It only took 6 years 10 months to go from JFK's speech to Armstrong walking on the moon.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    What's going to happen is they are going to get the coffee cup to work, but then they will delay the release so that they can properly simulate each individual grain of sand.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What's going to happen is they are going to get the coffee cup to work, but then they will delay the release so that they can properly simulate each individual grain of sand.

Wind blown sand displacement...so the coffee cup will be increasingly buried the longer you're away.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Don't give them ideas.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The cool thing about this development model is that you can play SC as they finish features for it. As some point, while they players are having a good time, they will come out and say "OK, after this next patch tomorrow we are officially moving into Beta" and the players will log in and keep playing. Then sometime down the line they will say "OK, after this next patch we will be Live." and players will log in again and keep playing.

And then they will keep iterating on systems and adding content like they are now. This isn't a game they they will declare Live once they have finalized the code for everything.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think honestly, the biggest thing they have working against them is community perception. To most people, this is just a vaporware project that flamed out a long time ago. And that is definitely not the case. I know the developers drop regular videos about their alpha content patches, and talk about what they're working on. But the larger gaming community is not picking up on that. I think most gamers just assume the game is dead.

Obviously that's not the case, since there's a playable alpha server, and fairly regular updates that do show legitimate progress is being made. But the visibility on that is very narrow and I don't think a lot of people outside of the dedicated followers really know that the game is alive and playable and still being built upon.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the uncool thing is that they keep making things in the worst possible order, and you'll forever have a haphazard kilt of halfworking things that don't add up to a game instead of an actual base game that keeps getting better, like NMS or Elite or Astroneer or Stardew Valley or Minecraft or Terraria or so many others.

make a base game, work from foundation to ground level.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    They took that Carl Sagan quote too literally.
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Way back in the day I wanted a Wing Commander like game so I was planning on backing this but I had spread myself thin backing too many other projects. Then the scope changed and I was glad I didn't back it because it was not the flavor of ice cream I wanted. I am a little excited about the prospect of Squadron 42 but my hopes are damped by the long and (from the outside) poor development of the game they pitched. So normally a game like Squadron 42 would be a "must buy" but now it is a "wait and see the gameplay videos and reviews."

Star Citizen looks like it could be neat but I couldn't see myself playing it until it was complete. My fear is they are going to toss S42 out for release before it is polished to fund raise off people like me who really just want a single player space fighter game.

• Options
    I guess for me I actually do appreciate the expanded scope. I definitely do agree that they need to build a foundation and just publish a working, playable game -- and then expand outward from there.

But what I want is a complete Han Solo experience. And that includes both pilot stuff and ship stuff. So I definitely appreciate what they're going for with the game. I want to be able to get in shootouts on land, fight my way out of tight situations with a blaster, and then escape on my ship. And then have ship chases and intense ship battles. All while smuggling goods past blockades of the ruling space force.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I guess for me I actually do appreciate the expanded scope. I definitely do agree that they need to build a foundation and just publish a working, playable game -- and then expand outward from there.

But what I want is a complete Han Solo experience. And that includes both pilot stuff and ship stuff. So I definitely appreciate what they're going for with the game. I want to be able to get in shootouts on land, fight my way out of tight situations with a blaster, and then escape on my ship. And then have ship chases and intense ship battles. All while smuggling goods past blockades of the ruling space force.

Yeah, I keep thinking if you want a Wing Commander experience, there are a number of Wing Commander (et all) games that you can replay. I'm kind of excited for something new that pushes the boundaries of what we think a space sim can be. You know if the technology and environment existed to do a lot of what he's trying to do with this game way back when, he would have tried it then. No one would have been crazy enough to try it when you have an investment to pay back. Now people are giving him the means to try his crazy dream. If it fails spectacularly, then so be it. I'm out $60 that I paid years ago. I'm okay with that. But if he succeeds even a little bit of what I'm seeing pieces of, holy shit.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    sure, and that sounds fun for Star Citizen (ie a expanded Privateer) but it isn't really a Wing Commander sequel. The whole idea was that they were making 2 separate things!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I think honestly, the biggest thing they have working against them is community perception. To most people, this is just a vaporware project that flamed out a long time ago. And that is definitely not the case. I know the developers drop regular videos about their alpha content patches, and talk about what they're working on. But the larger gaming community is not picking up on that. I think most gamers just assume the game is dead.

Obviously that's not the case, since there's a playable alpha server, and fairly regular updates that do show legitimate progress is being made. But the visibility on that is very narrow and I don't think a lot of people outside of the dedicated followers really know that the game is alive and playable and still being built upon.

As someone who frequents the subreddit, almost every week and every single free-fly event there's at least one post along the lines of "I'm a new player and I'd never heard of this game / thought it was vaporware and then I tried it and I'm just blown away!" and it kind of puts things into perspective. As a new person just discovering the game out of the blue, Star Citizen really is quite impressive; its just that we've all been hanging around for so long that the "wow" factor of the planets and the physics grids and the shiny graphics has worn off, we've done everything there is to do in-game and we're mad about delays that these newbies had never even heard of. I guarantee that 99% of the "vaporware" people have not logged into Star Citizen in the last 6 months.
    the uncool thing is that they keep making things in the worst possible order, and you'll forever have a haphazard kilt of halfworking things that don't add up to a game instead of an actual base game that keeps getting better, like NMS or Elite or Astroneer or Stardew Valley or Minecraft or Terraria or so many others.

The impression I get is that that's what they are doing, the problem is the scope has expanded so much since the original pitch that most of their original work has had to be re-done, and any new work has a lot more pre-requisites than previously. E.g, they had to redesign a bunch of ships when cargo became a thing, because they realized ships would need appropriately sized areas for cargo boxes to go in, and that players would need to be able to navigate their ships once the boxes were inside... I recall a lot of discussions early on about how you were supposed to use the Freelancer's rear turret when it was full of cargo. So they ended up having to redesign the Freelancer and Cutlass completely to accommodate the cargo system.

Now they're on to physicalized ship components that you can swap out, and every single ship needs to have the appropriate nooks and crannies set up to support that. You'll notice on newer ships there are very conspicuous hatches marked "Cooler", "Quantum Drive" e.t.c, but the older ships that don't have those will all have to be redone too at some point.

Atmospheric flight wasn't a thing until 3.10, so now they have to consider how ships handle in-atmosphere as well as in space since they don't just float around effortlessly like they used to, they actually have lift and drag and all new bugs can emerge like the Pieces having weird handling in-atmo because it turned out the wings were on backwards.

The good news is I think they've run out of systems to add at this point, simply because they've feature-creeped their way through everything they could reasonably add to the "TO DO" list, now they're finally making their way down the list, and its a hell of a trudge.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular

As someone who frequents the subreddit, almost every week and every single free-fly event there's at least one post along the lines of "I'm a new player and I'd never heard of this game / thought it was vaporware and then I tried it and I'm just blown away!" and it kind of puts things into perspective. As a new person just discovering the game out of the blue, Star Citizen really is quite impressive; its just that we've all been hanging around for so long that the "wow" factor of the planets and the physics grids and the shiny graphics has worn off, we've done everything there is to do in-game and we're mad about delays that these newbies had never even heard of. I guarantee that 99% of the "vaporware" people have not logged into Star Citizen in the last 6 months.

The impression I get is that that's what they are doing, the problem is the scope has expanded so much since the original pitch that most of their original work has had to be re-done, and any new work has a lot more pre-requisites than previously. E.g, they had to redesign a bunch of ships when cargo became a thing, because they realized ships would need appropriately sized areas for cargo boxes to go in, and that players would need to be able to navigate their ships once the boxes were inside... I recall a lot of discussions early on about how you were supposed to use the Freelancer's rear turret when it was full of cargo. So they ended up having to redesign the Freelancer and Cutlass completely to accommodate the cargo system.

Now they're on to physicalized ship components that you can swap out, and every single ship needs to have the appropriate nooks and crannies set up to support that. You'll notice on newer ships there are very conspicuous hatches marked "Cooler", "Quantum Drive" e.t.c, but the older ships that don't have those will all have to be redone too at some point.

Atmospheric flight wasn't a thing until 3.10, so now they have to consider how ships handle in-atmosphere as well as in space since they don't just float around effortlessly like they used to, they actually have lift and drag and all new bugs can emerge like the Pieces having weird handling in-atmo because it turned out the wings were on backwards.

The good news is I think they've run out of systems to add at this point, simply because they've feature-creeped their way through everything they could reasonably add to the "TO DO" list, now they're finally making their way down the list, and its a hell of a trudge.

Hopefully they have run out of systems to add. I don't think anyone would have complained if the "cargo" was just a imaginary number, similar to Elder Scrolls inventory, where a number fills up your slots and they could pre-populate the cargo with some generic boxes. Instead, they go the entire sim route delaying the game even further because of all the implications adding this system had on the rest of the game. If this was something they had planned to do since the very beginning, it wouldn't have been a problem. But to add this kind of functionality so late in the game that requires reverse engineering already designed ships, reeks of project inefficiencies.

If Star Citizen can pull off their space sim simulation, great, I'll be there to buy it. But they really could have cut corners and add content later. See: No man's sky.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Umm...personally speaking, I would have complained a bit. One of the things that the current physical objects representing cargo does is make smuggling more than a quick database check (Does the player ship have HIDDEN_COMPARTMENT_ADDON? if yes, they can smuggle cargo; if no, contraband scan results in a wanted level). With cargo being physical objects that occupy space in your ship, you get to be piloting the Millenium Falcon where you stash the cargo under the floor grates...you get to be piloting Serenity and stuff the illegal salvage in those 'hard to find nooks and crannies'.

Maybe it's just me...but that's just more satisfying than "Buy upgrade X to run contraband"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Umm...personally speaking, I would have complained a bit. One of the things that the current physical objects representing cargo does is make smuggling more than a quick database check (Does the player ship have HIDDEN_COMPARTMENT_ADDON? if yes, they can smuggle cargo; if no, contraband scan results in a wanted level). With cargo being physical objects that occupy space in your ship, you get to be piloting the Millenium Falcon where you stash the cargo under the floor grates...you get to be piloting Serenity and stuff the illegal salvage in those 'hard to find nooks and crannies'.

Maybe it's just me...but that's just more satisfying than "Buy upgrade X to run contraband"

I'm just saying for version 1.0 they could have gotten away with it. Then in 2.0 they could have added that functionality.

Too much of the "foundation" was not added at the beginning of the game. I can understand the technology advancing that they needed to change some things, but the fundamentals should have been built from the beginning and you would think cargo and cargo space would have been one of those fundamentals.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options

you just described how they're NOT doing that. they're building the toilets at the executive floors 300 m up while there's people still digging down to the rocky substract to try and maybe set down some foundations.

there is a reason no one tried to simulate the entire reality of the physical universe; it's way too complicated and expensive (in all ways imaginable, including cash and computational resources) for not that much benefit. CR is not a visionary genius who decided to show all the cowards how he's the only one brave enough... He is killing the game with bad systems. The "cup in the locker 1 month later" is bullshit, it costs a ton, delays a ton of vital systems' development for what is essentially bragging rights.

this is not an issue of targeting PC specs 5 years in the future, this is also an issue of targeting 50 years ahead (and probably a direct brain interface would be a lot better than using graphics).

Part of the job of a visionary genius is knowing when it's too visionary and backing down a bit.

I know you can play and have fun with the Alpha today, but what scares me is that it's much more of "E3 presentation" vertical slice than a solid base for a growing game. vertical slices are cool but they're usually a ton of wasted effort, like the ships that keep getting remade entirely every couple of years.

If any companies are even looking at this project, it's to see how to never make things. Hello games did a very bad job of releasing NMS, but then they sold a ton and used all that money to turn NMS into an even better game than what they had promised, and they kept selling a ton of copies all the while, without having to push bullshit MTX or selling us ships. I'm pretty sure they've got a ton of actual cash, plus a hugely successful released product and a lot of acquired know-how. This took like 6 years altogether, btw.

OTOH, CIG is gonna face a very tough battle if they ever release the game; the faithful followers already spent a huge amount of money that got burned out along these 8 years and the public eye has a very shaky perception of the whole SC project. There's probably so many millions of dead lines of code and uncountable gigabytes of discarded textures and 3D models at the cutting room floor at all the different CIG offices right now...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah I mean they effectively had an entire FPS game under development at a third party studio which went in the trash, right? The development of this game has had more dead ends and false starts than trying to escape from prison in the game.

• Options
    Yeah I mean they effectively had an entire FPS game under development at a third party studio which went in the trash, right? The development of this game has had more dead ends and false starts than trying to escape from prison in the game.

...it's still in there.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I remember trying out the racing thing when it was first implemented and then kind of put it away and mostly forgot about it. I backed for a 300i in Kickstarter and that's still the only ship I've got, or will get outside of the game. I was mostly ambivalent - like, I'm impressed at the undertaking, I just don't know if there can be a fun, compelling game experience to come out at the end of this.

But I watch Matt Colville stream D&D and his MCDM stuff and he's been streaming Star Citizen lately and I've been watching that and holy shit. Like, no way I can tolerate the bugs the way he and his friends do, so I'm still just in wait mode, but now I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic about what's going to be at the end of this journey than I used to be.

• Options
    they 100% threw out an entire fps game from another hired studio.
    what you mean is that they either picked it up from the rubbish bin and are wasting more resources with it
    or they got a different fps in the game now

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I would just like it to be released so I can purchase it while Mr. Oldman and Mr. Hamill are still with us.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    At the very least, with the new hotfix, then changed it so taking off decoupled from landing pads is easier. And as a side effect, they made it so space pads no long slam your ass down in their gravity well! So decoupled space landings are back to looking and feeling sexy!

• Options
    My PC is 8+ years old. I've got a i5 processor, a 1050 Ti video card, and 16gb of RAM. This rig barely plays Star Citizen. It used to not play it at all.

Every now and then, I like to patch the launcher. Really only every 6 months or so. And I like to patch up, load into the game, and see how it runs. I just did that today. Things have changed a lot since the last time I logged in. I made a dude. And then I was presented with a choice of a couple hangars or a space station. Not knowing which from which, my choice was pretty arbitrary. I read the descriptions of each, and then just picked one. I picked New Babbage.

As of this build the game kinda sorta runs. I was able to get up out of my bunk, find my way to the elevator, ride it down to the lobby, find my way to the tram station, tram to the spaceport, and that's where I'm at now. So yay being able to actually move around and explore. This is a vast improvement over some of my previous attempts where I was basically stuck in a <1 FPS slideshow.

Anyway, now that I'm here in the spaceport, I really don't know what to do. The spaceport seems to have two areas. The Hangar, and Ship Rentals. I went to the Hangar and pulled up a console that had a list of like 5 ships in it. Does that mean I own all of those ships if they're in the hangar? Are those ships permanently owned on my account, or are those ships temporary "alpha ships" just to give people something to fly around and test with?

Ultimately, as soon as I can get my hands on a 3080 Ti and one of the new Ryzen 5900 processors, I plan on building a new rig. One of the major goals for the new rig is to have something that can handle Star Citizen at max settings without so much as a stutter.

• Options
    If you didn't buy anything, then those are probably the "alpha ships" to fly around and test with. Though one is, I assume, your starter ship, which you do 'own.'

At the very least, don't feel shy about taking them out for a spin. You can't lose anything ATM, so tool around with them as much as you want.

• Options
    Ahh ok. I just checked my account on the RSI website. I own the Mustang Alpha. That must have been the ship that was included in the bundle I purchased. I got in long enough ago that I was able to get the Star Citizen + Squadron 42 bundle for $60. That bundle must have also included a ship.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    For Hallowe’en this year everyone’s been given a free Aegis Gladius and Esperia Glaive. Those will be disappearing at the end of the month. A couple patches ago they also gave everyone a MISC Freelancer as a workaround for a bug to do with bed logouts. Not sure when they’ll be taking that one off of us. Any other ships on your list should be owned permanently. That includes any you buy in game now, bought an Aurora ES to strip for parts 3 patches ago and still have it.

• Options
    Ahh ok. I just checked my account on the RSI website. I own the Mustang Alpha. That must have been the ship that was included in the bundle I purchased. I got in long enough ago that I was able to get the Star Citizen + Squadron 42 bundle for $60. That bundle must have also included a ship.

The $60 (bounty hunter) bundle came with a 300i instead of the Aurora.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Any other ships on your list should be owned permanently. That includes any you buy in game now, bought an Aurora ES to strip for parts 3 patches ago and still have it.

Cool. Where do I buy ships at? I'd like to browse what's available, see prices, and get an idea of what sort of goal I'm working towards.

Also, is the Carrack purchasable in-game? I've been interested in that ship since it came out and everyone was super hyped about it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    Any other ships on your list should be owned permanently. That includes any you buy in game now, bought an Aurora ES to strip for parts 3 patches ago and still have it.

Cool. Where do I buy ships at? I'd to browse what's available, see prices, and get an idea of what sort of goal I'm working towards?

Also, is the Carrack purchasable in-game? I've been interested in that ship since it came out and everyone was super hyped about it.

There are in-game ship vendors and rental agencies. Lorville and Levski both have in-game ship showrooms where you can check ships out and purchase them.

Even the lower end ships can run 300-400k though, so the better bet is to find a ship you like and do a 1 or 3 day rental to see how it flies before dropping that amount of UEC (and the best bet is to just find a ship you like, then join a game with one of us who owns it and we can let you take it for a spin).

Any ship you buy with actual money as part of a pledge is attached to your account no matter what, but ships that you buy in-game could potentially be removed at some point between now and launch if they ever have to do account wipes. They used to have to do them every time there was a new patch (so everyone would be starting with just their pledge ships every few months), but once more of the persistence technology came online they haven't had to do that in some time.

• Options
    I wish they designed things so that there were more excuses for foot-traffic to take you around hangars.

Some of the coolest moments in the game have been when I'm at some outpost and the distinct sound of an engine causes me to look up to see some beast soaring through the sky. Had a moment like that just now on Calliope. Massive storm, close to white-out conditions, having to stagger back to my Herald. I hear the ship before I see it, deep, loud and reverberating. The Carrack's bulk lurched into view through a flurry of whipping snow, ungainly and being buffeted by high winds as it tried to land somewhat straight, listing to the side for a moment before touching down.

I'm eagerly awaiting server meshing so that the world feels more populated and that events like this are more common.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I wish they designed things so that there were more excuses for foot-traffic to take you around hangars.

Some of the coolest moments in the game have been when I'm at some outpost and the distinct sound of an engine causes me to look up to see some beast soaring through the sky. Had a moment like that just now on Calliope. Massive storm, close to white-out conditions, having to stagger back to my Herald. I hear the ship before I see it, deep, loud and reverberating. The Carrack's bulk lurched into view through a flurry of whipping snow, ungainly and being buffeted by high winds as it tried to land somewhat straight, listing to the side for a moment before touching down.

I'm eagerly awaiting server meshing so that the world feels more populated and that events like this are more common.

It's rare, but it's a really cool immersive moment when it happens.

I was taking off from Lorville the other day in my Legionnaire at the exact same time someone else was leaving in a Freelancer. I ended up behind him and watched as his more powerful engines slowly increased the distance between us to get out of atmo, leaving contrails behind him.

A while back I was on a planet coming out of a cave and I got buzzed by a couple of guys in low flying M50s. I think they were just screwing around because they darted around for a bit and then took off.

You can fake interactions like that with NPC vehicles, but I'm also excited for server meshing being implemented. It's nice having a whole planet to yourself sometimes, but the social aspect is supposed to be a major part of Star Citizen.

• Options
    So there's more talk about the death mechanics happening lately, and I still hate them.

If you want players to create content and take risks, you can't punish them too harshly.

And as bizarre as it seems, losing your character, even if it doesn't result in actual tangible losses in supplies/UEC? That's actually pretty harsh. People are irrational, and we get intensely attached to our avatars.

My thoughts: First, I would make retiring your character optional. Doing would be an easy way to get rid of the graphical effects on your character model that accumulate because of damage, but not be *required*. Second, include an option for players to visit medical facilities on corp worlds and pay a hefty price tag for the ability to grow a new limb and reattach it, rolling back the damage your character model accumulates. It's purely cosmetic, optional, makes sense in lore, and would serve to reduce inflation in the game world while not penalizing players too much for taking risks.

This discussion has been closed.