As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It is as I feared; the Heavy Intercessor squad cannot, RAW, upgrade its variant weapons into their even heavier versions. Because someone left the play-testing names intact in the final paragraph.
    Yeah, yeah, we know what it meant to say but damn. Not a good look on a flagship product. Still, at least they’re consistent; the app version has the same error.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    TIL the cult of prophecy is the only Thousand Sons cult with a warlord trait. The other eight all have traints instead.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited October 2020
    Further notes from the Space Marine codex: they seem to be leaning back into single-book armies again; both extra relics and extra warlord abilities are bound to having a space marine warlord so you can’t, for example, add two units of intercessors and a lieutenant to an imperial guard army and use a CP to give the Lt the Teeth of Terra or whatever.

Mr_Rose on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Does it take a while for the codex codes to work in the app or something? I unlocked the Space Marines and Necrons codex but the app still won't let me view them

Nevermind, had an outdated version of the app.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited October 2020
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does it take a while for the codex codes to work in the app or something? I unlocked the Space Marines and Necrons codex but the app still won't let me view them

Yeah, that happened to me too; was showing as unlocked on the site but not in-app until I updated. I guess they published a new version today to coincide with the release?

Mr_Rose on
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, that happened to me too; was showing as unlocked on the site but not in-app until I updated. I guess they published a new version today to coincide with the release?

Yea, that would definitely make the most sense.

As mentioned I went HAM on Necrons today and also pre ordered 3 Hexmark Destroyers. 20% of really saved me. Also ordered 10 Deathmark models from wargame exclusive.

Not sure what to build with the heavy destroyers, might try to magnetize them.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    There's no new Marine preorders this week, are there?

Stuck at work behind all the filters.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

Not unless you count the McFarlane action figure…

edited October 2020

No... after getting my Bandai figure I've realized I need to stop collecting crap I don't need.

I mean... other than more armies than I have time to paint or play. Those are still totally fair game.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Actually, since I have my old heavy destroyers as anti tank I can make these new ones anti infantry.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

Does anyone know if McFarlane figures still use that crappy soft vinyl or if it's actually hard plastic? I'm tempted to paint big boy.

akirasig.jpg
    edited October 2020
    Scrounged a leaked copy of the SM codex until my official one shows up... I wish I had the time and money to collect as many armies as I liked. The codex has me wanting to start another custom chapter alongside my Wolves.

General observations, spoilered just in case:
      * Really like the rules I'm seeing in general. Everything looks written far more clearly, as well as the codex layout in general is much cleaner. * Things look way more concise on the datasheets. * The warlord traits and relics are pretty generic. Obv waiting for supplements to hit. * Masters of the Chapter stuff is all really cool. Toned down rerolls on Chap Masters, but neat relic and trait. The Master of Sanctity Wise Orator WT seems really strong * Space wolves specific... Rune priests aren't in the index, Wolves can take librarians currently, but librarians don't get the rune priest keyword so can't take their relic. To be Faq'd when the supp hits I assume. * Color coded stratagems that don't appear to be related to anything other than Crusade Honorifics (master of <insert name> can use a <insert strat type> strat for free once per game.) * All the crusade content really makes me think that outside of competitive 40k they really want you playing crusade. I'm happy about this cuz crusade is amazing. * Generally stoked for my copy to arrive... I also need to rewrite my crusade roster cuz there's a few PL hikes in there. * Bladeguard and Eradicators can combat squad. * Heavy intercessors look amazing. I can see myself preordering at least a couple boxes for backfield obj holders and never using regular intercessors again with all my bladeguard and blood claws doing the aggressive stuff.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Trying to compare assault intercessors to blood claws.

After berserk charge on the BC's they work out to the same number of attacks per model. The blood claws have a bit more flexibility of loadout but are 1 PL higher (not worried about pts, all my peeps are playing crusade).

The biggest difference just appears to be that I can stuff blood claws into a drop pod... and I've always wanted a drop pod

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah they seem pretty equal to assault intercessors, but you pay 1 more point to be able to stuff them in stunty trasports. Or you get the chance take a terminator tank. Pretty decent sidegrade, depending on what you want to do.

On the other hand, the intercessors can fight twice.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    Yeah they seem pretty equal to assault intercessors, but you pay 1 more point to be able to stuff them in stunty trasports. Or you get the chance take a terminator tank. Pretty decent sidegrade, depending on what you want to do.

I hadn't seen that... something worth considering. It's really too bad intercessors don't have a 10man transport that isn't a wannabe battletank

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Next weeks pre orders been spoiled. I don't really like the ophydian destroyers or the convergence of dominion. Definitely grabbing a monolith and void dragon though.

McGibs wrote: »

I hadn't seen that... something worth considering. It's really too bad intercessors don't have a 10man transport that isn't a wannabe battletank

It’s a stratagem (honour the chapter) though, so only occasionally.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The Convergence is pretty meh as an actual unit but as a terrain piece it’s pretty sexy. I’ll get one just for that.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It's really too bad intercessors don't have a 10man transport that isn't a wannabe battletank

This continues to chap my ass. The Impulsor was the perfect opportunity - just give it a 10 man transport capacity, or drop it back to 6 if you take the shield dome if you really think it'll impact game balance. Having your options for mobility on a 10 man Intercessor squad be comprised of "Footslog them" or "Put them in a 300 point battle tank (that costs $80)" is ridiculous, especially considering the wealth of transport options that firstborn Marines have.

I had a pretty fun game last night, I brought 824 points of Deathguard that comprised of a Lord of Contagion, 8 Plague Marines, 16 Poxwalkers, a Bloat Drone, a Rhino, and a Decimator (it was kind of proxy city since the Rhino was a Sisters of Battle one and the Decimator was an Adeptus Titanicus Reaver Titan because it was the closest model I could find in terms of size). I basically had the DG half of Know No Fear that I had picked up a while back plus some of the ETB kits, and had never gotten around to actually playing a game with them, so it was a smaller game to get the hang of the changes to 9th edition. My opponent brought 826 points of Orks, which was a Deffkilla Wartrike, a Deffrolla filled with boyz, a Megatrak Scrapjet, and a bunch of warbikers.

I had picked the ague stone as my Lord of Contagion's relic, which is a -1 strength aura to enemy models within 3", but in retrospect it was kind of wasted because the majority of my friend's Ork army was S4 and the Lord of Contagion is T5. I also gave him the Warlord Trait that increased his FNP roll to a 4+ instead of a 5+. I paid a Command Point to make the Decimator a Contaminated Monstrosity, which gave him a 5+ FNP as well.

To make a long story short, everyone basically met in the middle, Braveheart style. The Deffrolla and the Scrapjet took one side, slamming into my Bloat Drone and Decimator. The Decimator proceeded to tear the scrapjet in half, and put a number of wounds on the deffrolla before succumbing to the repeated charges from it. The bloat drone put a couple more wounds on before also farting its last, leaving the Deffrolla still intact. On the other flank, the warbikers decided to smash up the Rhino, which promptly exploded, barfing out 7 of the 8 plague marines. The wartrike was right behind the bikers, but my lord of contagion teleported in, made the charge, and promptly beat the warboss to death. As a reward from Nurgle himself he was granted a modifier which made the Orks have a -1 to hit penalty on him for the rest of the game.

My opponent decided that was a good time to dump 20 'ardboyz out of the deffrolla, and they smashed into the plague marines, meanwhile the poxwalkers had finally shuffled their way over to the warbikers and started taking them apart. I decided to pay a command point for the plague marines to fire overwatch, and pay another one to have all of them throw blight grenades (Grenade D6, plus the new Blast keyword) instead of just one of them. This thinned the boyz out a little. Around this time the warbikers fell back from the poxwalkers, and decided to attack my Lord of Contagion (leaving the poxwalkers to join the fracas with the boyz). The Lord of Contagion was too high on jenkem to defend himself, so the warbikers took him down to two wounds before he retaliated by killing them all.

The plague marines and the poxwalkers took turns turning orks into dead orks, which bolstered the poxwalkers back to full strength. They, along with the remaining three marines, then decided to stand directly in front of a deffrolla. The results of this were fairly predictable, but they did manage to stop the deffrolla from ramming into my warlord for a couple of turns (which he spent playing one man chop shop on the ork bikers).

At this point there were exactly two models left on the table - a smashed up deffrolla, and a Lord of Contagion with exactly 2 wounds left. The deffrolla charges, bringing a (conservative estimate) million attacks, and through a mixture of the -1 to hit modifier and the 2+/4++/4+++ my warlord just tanked everything while knocking the deffrolla down to almost dead. The deffrolla falls back and charges, and after all is said and done I basically just needed the lord of contagion to survive that round of combat, because if he did, and counterattacked, it would be all over for the ork wagon. All of the rolla's attacks fail except for two, which manage to wound. I roll the first FNP roll and fail it, bringing the lord down to a single wound. I am out of CP, and therefor have no tricks left up my sleeve. It's the last FNP roll. I need a 4 or higher to survive that round of combat and be all but guaranteed to table my opponent on the next turn. I roll a 3.

Ultimately I had a lot of fun trying out a new army, and it was a really close game at the end. I did kill his warboss, which I consider to be a personal win condition though. I missed out on an opportunity to pick up the Deathguard half of Dark Imperium for $100 a while back, but I found some dude on Ebay selling one for $120 so I bought it. Between that and the models I already have I think I'll be able to get to 1500 points fairly easily, so it'll be nice having another army to play with from time to time to mix things up.

edited October 2020
    The Convergence is pretty meh as an actual unit but as a terrain piece it’s pretty sexy. I’ll get one just for that.

Yea, I think I'm gonna do the same. They look nice and I also want to buy two of the Space Marines bunkers as terrain/objectives for a game.

Gonna try to put the left over gauss destructors from these new heavy destroyer kits and put them on my old heavy destroyers since they look a lot nicer than the old heavy destroyer cannons.

Stragint on

Flipping through a copy of the beyond the veil mission pack.

Whoever did the design on these missions did a great job. They're fluffy and interesting and predominantly don't feature objective markers. The ones that do, feature them in some pretty interesting ways.

Really cool stuff in here.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Rules clarification question....

I have two squads of marines facing off with a big blob of my opponents necron warriors. They've both successfully made their charges and have at least one model within 1/2" of the necron warriors. My first squad makes it's attacks and kills a bunch. My opponent picks up models that are in engagement range of the marine squad that hasn't attacked yet, taking the marines out of engagement range of the warriors.

If my second marine squad is still inside 3" of the warriors they successfully charged, are they still eligible to pile in and fight? Or because they're no longer in engagement range are they not an "eligible unit"?

I'm going through the rulebook and I can't find clarification on this.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Whoever did the design on these missions did a great job. They're fluffy and interesting and predominantly don't feature objective markers. The ones that do, feature them in some pretty interesting ways.

Are they like the PA books? just without the units?

Yea, I think I'm gonna do the same. They look nice and I also want to buy two of the Space Marines bunkers as terrain/objectives for a game.

Gonna try to put the left over gauss destructors from these new heavy destroyer kits and put them on my old heavy destroyers since they look a lot nicer than the old heavy destroyer cannons.

Mine are metal but my necron army is from 10+ years ago and for the most part was a prize
    It looked like in the model the left hand is part of the rifle as it hooks in or something?

The crusade book is actually exactly like the mission pack that came out earlier in the year. Small book with all the rules in the back half, including terrain rules, rare rules, etc. The front have of this one is all the crusade missions rather than matched play mission packs, including relics, campaign rules for fighting inside the nexus (environmental condition) and an Investigation points system where you get +1IP for winning a match and can spend them on stuff similarly to RP.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

I have two squads of marines facing off with a big blob of my opponents necron warriors. They've both successfully made their charges and have at least one model within 1/2" of the necron warriors. My first squad makes it's attacks and kills a bunch. My opponent picks up models that are in engagement range of the marine squad that hasn't attacked yet, taking the marines out of engagement range of the warriors.

If my second marine squad is still inside 3" of the warriors they successfully charged, are they still eligible to pile in and fight? Or because they're no longer in engagement range are they not an "eligible unit"?

They can. Fight phase, first paragraph: “an eligible unit is one … that charged this turn.” So if you charge, that unit gets to perform the whole fight phase sequence.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Every time I see the hexmark destroyer, I'm thinking I should whip up a blood bowl in universe sponsor for a magical printing press company

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Rules question: If I'm falling back and on difficult terrain, that's a -2 inches to my 3 inch fall back isn't it?
    [edit]It does, nevermind.

New version. I don't know why indirect fire over Obscuring isn't -1 to hit. It should be imo. Yes, I'm bitching about Guard lists.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Rules question: If I'm falling back and on difficult terrain, that's a -2 inches to my 3 inch fall back isn't it?
    [edit]It does, nevermind.

New version. I don't know why indirect fire over Obscuring isn't -1 to hit. It should be imo. Yes, I'm bitching about Guard lists.

It isn't through obscuring but it is -1 into or over dense cover.

u7stthr17eud.png

They can. Fight phase, first paragraph: “an eligible unit is one … that charged this turn.” So if you charge, that unit gets to perform the whole fight phase sequence.

Excellent, thank you.

My necron opponent pulled this shenanigan on me our last match and I couldn't figure out if my second squad would have been able to mash faces.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited October 2020

Excellent, thank you.

My necron opponent pulled this shenanigan on me our last match and I couldn't figure out if my second squad would have been able to mash faces.

Note that if a unit has charged two others, it can use this to avoid the attacks of the second target. Same for any number of units that find themselves entangled on a turn that neither side charged in.

Mr_Rose on
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it should be obscuring as well. Getting shelled into oblivion by tank ace Manticores (yes plural) sucks.

Is anyone else disappointed by grav-weapons this edition?
    Not in terms of cost vs damage output but more rules vs fluff?

At the moment, they’re S5, -3 Sv, and D1 with a rule to double damage to people with high saves. I feel like they could have got away with putting a * for save and damage and giving them a rule like “* for each successful wound, inflict 1 mortal wound on the target and the attack sequence ends.”
    What do you all think?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think they should have made grav weapons physically heavier than normal guns. Cast them with lead.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Brainleech wrote: »

Are they like the PA books? just without the units?

Mine are metal but my necron army is from 10+ years ago and for the most part was a prize
    It looked like in the model the left hand is part of the rifle as it hooks in or something?

Yea, it has 3 spots for hands. One thin slot st the back and top and the hole on the side. I put the heavy destroyer shoulder joint into that hole.
    pnp9o4nf1fi0.jpeg
    f1jusqraxkwg.jpeg
    neevjll9v06f.jpeg

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I think a high rate of fire mortal wound gun is the last thing the game needs, but yea stat wise it seems grav guns are still paying for their sins in 7th edition. The new strat made them briefly good out of a drop pod I hear (never ran into it myself) but apparently that's gone now.

Yeah, I think it should be obscuring as well. Getting shelled into oblivion by tank ace Manticores (yes plural) sucks.

You can only have one tank ace manticore. The strat is once per game. So uh you need to talk to your opponent.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fwiw grav weapons are pretty sick in KT

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Grav weapons were pretty bogus when they introduced them. Like they never really had a design space. Flamers for anti-horde, melta for anti-vehicle, plasma for anti-elite. Grav for... also anti-elite? briefly anti-vehicle (thanks double-immobilized)? What are they?
    Honestly, they were more interesting when they wounded on the target's armour save (wound a marine on a 3+, a terminator on a 2+) because then at least you got a sense of their fluff.

website_header.jpg
    You can only have one tank ace manticore. The strat is once per game. So uh you need to talk to your opponent.
    The stratagem is once per game, yes....but you can also skip getting a warlord trait to get two Tank aces.
    Instead of choosing a Warlord Trait, you can select a Tank Ace ability to apply to one of your eligible Astra Militarum vehicles. Alternatively – or in addition if you want to include two Tank Aces – you can spend a single Command Point to use the Tank Ace Stratagem…

So, two Manticores, unless there was a FAQ...?

If you can point it out I would LOVE it.

The stratagem is once per game, yes....but you can also skip getting a warlord trait to get two Tank aces.
    Instead of choosing a Warlord Trait, you can select a Tank Ace ability to apply to one of your eligible Astra Militarum vehicles. Alternatively – or in addition if you want to include two Tank Aces – you can spend a single Command Point to use the Tank Ace Stratagem…

So, two Manticores, unless there was a FAQ...?

If you can point it out I would LOVE it.

I mean guard isn't in a good place right now but I thought it had wording like any warlord trait, you can't double up on warlord traits, but it doesn't. It seems to have slipped through the cracks. Feels like a weird outlier since it is a replace a warlord trait and the strat but its basically two warlord traits in other names.

u7stthr17eud.png