As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    her ban rate is north of 60% while still pushing 50% wr in low elo on a quote unquote high skill floor risky champion that really isn't because of her insane mobility, easy combo potential, and windwall. samira is a champ that is probably balanced in the mid-40s of total winrate.

i'm basically forced into taking annie whenever my team doesn't ban or pick her, because otherwise she's going to 100-0 my whole team with R.

From op.gg:
    Samira winrate, last 7 days:
    iron 45%
    bronze 47%
    silver 48%
    gold 49%
    plat 51%
    dia 51%
    stats above that not sufficient for good numbers for one week

So...if you are plat or diamond, you should be seeing 51% winrate at most. Although of course you could have had an unlucky handful of games where she dominated.

I think it's not helpful to be hyperbolic about how OP a champion is when it isn't supported by the numbers. It makes sense to say that you don't like some matchups (or all matchups) against them, but you not liking them is simply not the same thing as them being bad for the game.

Like...immobile Ashe is one of the first champions they ever put in the game and she's all over pro play and feels strong in soloQ. There isn't a universal thing here where new champions are all op and all bad for the game and all terrible.

Ashe has been reworked because her old kit was completely ineffective as an ADC. She was specifically reworked to fit in with modern carries. And her strengths are still in macro control, not straight fighting prowess. Hawk shot gives you complete jungle knowledge and her ult gives you the ability to engage/disengage whenever you want.

The worlds meta has always been macro control. Every year. Corki used to be a mainstay because of the package and waveclear meant he would dominate. This year Twisted Fate got buffs so we wouldn't see Corki. Fits the same niche. Why is Shen a world staple? Macro control. Same meta, every year.

Only time it was majorly different was year 1 when EU introduced supports and the year dragons were worth major gold and NA wrecked the first two days until people realized how valuable they are.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    High skill floor/caps champs should have sub-50 wr tho.

They describe akali as “balanced” around 45% winrate. Samira was described as such, but the numbers don’t bear that out.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I thought there was an original 20 champs but this is telling me there was 17.
    Alistar, Annie, Ashe, Fiddlesticks, Jax, Kayle, Master Yi, Morgana, Nunu, Ryze, Sion, Sivir, Soraka, Teemo, Tristana, Twisted Fate, and Warwick have been duking it out on the Rift for almost an entire decade, and today is theirs to celebrate.

This says there was 40
    Alistar
    Amumu
    Anivia
    Annie
    Ashe
    Blitzcrank
    Cho'Gath
    Corki
    Dr. Mundo
    Evelynn
    Fiddlesticks
    Gangplank
    Heimerdinger
    Janna
    Jax
    Karthus
    Kassadin
    Katarina
    Kayle
    Malphite
    Master Yi
    Morgana
    Nasus
    Nunu
    Rammus
    Ryze
    Shaco
    Singed
    Sion
    Sivir
    Soraka
    Taric
    Teemo
    Tristana
    Tryndamere
    Twisted Fate
    Twitch
    Veigar
    Warwick
    Zilean
    Many of these have seen reworks but some remain unchanged or basically unchanged since release. They've all pretty much seen pro play at one point or another.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Catching up on world's., Watching the last game.
    G2 why you got to troll. Give na a chance to face sunni again. Fuck my bracket. Play to win and get first, why you gotta pick this comp?

TL has looked good today and I think could beat sunni in a tie breaker!
    Fuck g2. TL beat sunni twice, play like the game matters. TL looked damn good and deserving for a chance to get out of groups.

Really disappointed in g2, thought they went in throwing that game. Not even interested in watching the tie breaker.
    giphy.gif

Seriously though the tiebreaker is a decent game, you should watch it.
    Also I'd argue Liquid got exactly what they deserved for losing to Machi. Like I don't even want to discredit Machi here, I think they looked decent, but ultimately they should've gone 0-6 in this group and the team who dropped the ball on making it happen can't really feel aggrieved about not getting out of the group imo.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Alistar, Annie, Ashe, Fiddlesticks, Jax, Kayle, Master Yi, Morgana, Nunu, Ryze, Sion, Sivir, Soraka, Teemo, Tristana, Twisted Fate, and Warwick have been duking it out on the Rift for almost an entire decade, and today is theirs to celebrate.

This says there was 40
    Alistar
    Amumu
    Anivia
    Annie
    Ashe
    Blitzcrank
    Cho'Gath
    Corki
    Dr. Mundo
    Evelynn
    Fiddlesticks
    Gangplank
    Heimerdinger
    Janna
    Jax
    Karthus
    Kassadin
    Katarina
    Kayle
    Malphite
    Master Yi
    Morgana
    Nasus
    Nunu
    Rammus
    Ryze
    Shaco
    Singed
    Sion
    Sivir
    Soraka
    Taric
    Teemo
    Tristana
    Tryndamere
    Twisted Fate
    Twitch
    Veigar
    Warwick
    Zilean
    Many of these have seen reworks but some remain unchanged or basically unchanged since release. They've all pretty much seen pro play at one point or another.

So the game's beta launched with those 17 champions. They hit 40 by the time the game was "officially" released. Where the concept of the "original 20" comes from is that there was a box release of League of Legends (because back then we still had boxed PC games) that bundled 20 of those 40 champions together in its purchase.

liEt3nH.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Just played a Corki game cause my smurf account owns no champs and I don't like Lux into Malzahar (you run out of mana). It never feels good to me to play Corki, but it is really fun to pick up your package and go DOODOODOODOOOOOOO as you zoom back to lane
    (And I won cause my botlane carried and I didn't need to do anything at all; very chill).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Bad feeling when you get autofilled support (rarely happens as a jungle main) and do more damage than your mid, top, and adc. Matchmaking in this game is bad!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I wish there were more bans. Doesn't feel like there are enough compared to how many champs there are and how many absurdly strong champs though are.

Had a Teemo top keep complaining about how busted Darius is and it just made me think about how garbage I was with Darius and lost lane to Quinn.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited October 2020
    That feeling when you're the 5 vs the 4 (support dropped) and you lose at 20 minutes

*edit* ranked by the way. Sigh.

at least we dominated the next team in under 20

RickRude on
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    High roam support pants is super effective but the team will blame you li

This says there was 40
    Alistar
    Amumu
    Anivia
    Annie
    Ashe
    Blitzcrank
    Cho'Gath
    Corki
    Dr. Mundo
    Evelynn
    Fiddlesticks
    Gangplank
    Heimerdinger
    Janna
    Jax
    Karthus
    Kassadin
    Katarina
    Kayle
    Malphite
    Master Yi
    Morgana
    Nasus
    Nunu
    Rammus
    Ryze
    Shaco
    Singed
    Sion
    Sivir
    Soraka
    Taric
    Teemo
    Tristana
    Tryndamere
    Twisted Fate
    Twitch
    Veigar
    Warwick
    Zilean

So the game's beta launched with those 17 champions. They hit 40 by the time the game was "officially" released. Where the concept of the "original 20" comes from is that there was a box release of League of Legends (because back then we still had boxed PC games) that bundled 20 of those 40 champions together in its purchase.

I remember in beta the particle effects weren't working correctly and I was running around with Singed killing people with invisible poison.

psn: PhasenWeeple
    I want to play ekko just to do the recall, shop, ult back to lane combo. I've never seen anyone actually do it but it just sounds hilarious

https://youtu.be/Iraogigs4AA

early game lane eek

we went on to lose a long game with a 4k gold lead when Cho'gath blundered into their team and our respawn timers were too slow ;_; But it was a fun game and I went 14/5/13, so (...so I shouldn't have gone too far forward to try to save chogath! oops)

Knight_ wrote: »
    her ban rate is north of 60% while still pushing 50% wr in low elo on a quote unquote high skill floor risky champion that really isn't because of her insane mobility, easy combo potential, and windwall. samira is a champ that is probably balanced in the mid-40s of total winrate.

i'm basically forced into taking annie whenever my team doesn't ban or pick her, because otherwise she's going to 100-0 my whole team with R.

From op.gg:
    Samira winrate, last 7 days:
    iron 45%
    bronze 47%
    silver 48%
    gold 49%
    plat 51%
    dia 51%
    stats above that not sufficient for good numbers for one week

So...if you are plat or diamond, you should be seeing 51% winrate at most. Although of course you could have had an unlucky handful of games where she dominated.

I think it's not helpful to be hyperbolic about how OP a champion is when it isn't supported by the numbers. It makes sense to say that you don't like some matchups (or all matchups) against them, but you not liking them is simply not the same thing as them being bad for the game.

Like...immobile Ashe is one of the first champions they ever put in the game and she's all over pro play and feels strong in soloQ. There isn't a universal thing here where new champions are all op and all bad for the game and all terrible.

Her kit allows her to be a monster easy but she can be shut down with good cc. Kinda need instant cc to make it work cause she sends out a shit ton of damage quickly.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Worlds Wk 2, Day 3
    Bwipo: “Our group has a bunch of great teams and TSM”.

Completely earned trash talk. TSM had to win just to still have a dwindling chance in groups, and they just repeatedly fell flat on their faces. Absolutely loved picking an aggressive early-game comp and then refusing to do anything with it. Sheer genius from this team, just further reinforcing that they were lucky and not actually good in LCS playoffs. Just send Golden Guardians next time - at least that would be a new experience rather than the same old TSM bed-shitting.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Worlds
    I had zero expectations for TSM after that horrible week 1 and they still managed to let me down holy shit.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    What is clash? I have a mission to do 3 clash games and I'm not sure what it is.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is clash? I have a mission to do 3 clash games and I'm not sure what it is.

it's amateur tournament

you make a team with other people and then get put in an 8 team bracket

it can be fun to hang out and play a few games with bros but it's a pain in the butt to organize a team because our particular community is like 3 junglers and a bajillion supports

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    it's amateur tournament

it can be fun to hang out and play a few games with bros but it's a pain in the butt to organize a team because our particular community is like 3 junglers and a bajillion supports

As a clarification, these brackets are actually 16-team tournaments, which has changed the lock-in window and made it worse for my schedule. :(

(And to be fair, I've played top lane when needed. :P)

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    176 cs 18 minutes (enemy team surrendered)

feels better than a perfect kda imo

Well shit. Don't think I'm gonna get those missions done.

edited October 2020
    There's been a few teams organized on these forums but I've never been on one.
    Ivellius wrote: »
    it's amateur tournament

As a clarification, these brackets are actually 16-team tournaments, which has changed the lock-in window and made it worse for my schedule. :(

(And to be fair, I've played top lane when needed. :P)

Im a mid main, and but mostly a one trick. I play it top and jungle though also lol! Karthus everywhere Probably Not very much help.

Edit I do know and used to play other champs though. Galio mid I was big with for a while, singed top I used to play, as well as gangplank, and I was learning vlad in both positions.

RickRude on
    Worlds
    I had zero expectations for TSM after that horrible week 1 and they still managed to let me down holy shit.

World's
    I had zero expectations for na, but TL had me hyped and I still feel g2 cost them. Just threw the game. Then again lost to sunni in the tiebreaker so maybe they just can't beat sunni.

Flyquest even have a chance still?

edited October 2020
    176 cs 18 minutes (enemy team surrendered)

feels better than a perfect kda imo

That's 10 cs a minute. That's crazy good.

RickRude on
    Lgd vs gen g was extremely entertaining. That ending.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Worlds
    Super proud of Flyquest. Third in that group is nothing to be ashamed of, and they took a game from TES, which is huge. Now just find a new top laner and you’re all set!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    boy it's disappointing that seraphine is a character that rides around on a little platform.

that looks dumb as all hell and kinda has me not interested in the character at all even tho the skills were interesting.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    aram doesn't count, but here's a sweet 3 minute penta kill as gangplank

https://youtu.be/zRBXJkpu6EA

Info on seraphine is out

https://eune.leagueoflegends.com/en-pl/news/dev/champion-insights-seraphine/

People are extremely salty about her. Idk kit wise i think she looks fun, i think the platform is still pretty stupid but if you went by the internet's reaction to her kit she's the worst champion ever released.

I guess I'm mostly interested in simple, straightforward kits as someone who isn't very good.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Sona getting left out.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I need to see more specifics on her abilities and numbers, but I could actually see a Sera/Sona bot lane being interesting? Their abilities seem to combo pretty well off each other. A Purple Chord to slow a target into Sera E for a root into a double-cast E for a stun could be one hell of a gank set-up. Not including ults, with a charm to pull them in and a Sona ult to make 'em dance.

If Sera's W doesn't care where the shield comes from, Sona could use her own W to apply the shield and then Sera can double-cast hers to heal everyone.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Seraphine is a huge miss for me. Boring/duplicative champ design, bad aesthetic, offputting reveal and release cycle. Shame!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    She seems like fun! Her character design isnt of much interest to me but I'm sure there'll be a skin I'm into.

Nirya wrote: »
    Worlds
    Super proud of Flyquest. Third in that group is nothing to be ashamed of, and they took a game from TES, which is huge. Now just find a new top laner and you’re all set!

While a weak spot on the team for sure, solo was huge for this team when he came back in. He may have been a weak link, but he's also a big reason they got to world's.

Just did my bracket picks. I want to believe in G2, but don't see them beating damwon. They are just so inconsistent. Even though they show up when it matters. Want to pick them to make finals but just can't do it. Have TES vs Damwon with TES winning.

Tcheldor wrote: »
    Sona getting left out.

Yeah I'm into Seraphine's concept--I like that she has a really extravagant hairstyle and platform, makes her look fun and slightly different from every other woman with a perfect figure in the game--but she does seem to really exist in Sona's visual design and concept space (floating musician with very long hair who wants allies to group up around her...)

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I just find the whole marketing campaign behind the character incredibly off-putting.

Ah also I finally got to play midlane in Clash and while we only went 2-2, I had a great game as Lux into a diamond Xerath where I went even cs with him. He counterpicked me so it was quite scary! And because there was a diamond mid, everyone else on the enemy team was silver/bronze, so the rest of my lanes crushed and I just had to not int my lane, keep Xerath from roaming, and contribute to teamfights, and we won.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah also I finally got to play midlane in Clash and while we only went 2-2, I had a great game as Lux into a diamond Xerath where I went even cs with him. He counterpicked me so it was quite scary! And because there was a diamond mid, everyone else on the enemy team was silver/bronze, so the rest of my lanes crushed and I just had to not int my lane, keep Xerath from roaming, and contribute to teamfights, and we won.

Silver 1 Swain? Gotta ban the swain.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    While we did go 2-2, we absolutely crushed those two wins to an absurd degree, and our first loss was against a team that had a lot of obvious practice working as a team and our second was a very close game that we very nearly won. So all in all it was great fun!

And I did laugh at your pre game "Oh I won't be against their diamond player mid so go ahead and pick lux" to loading screen "Oh fuck their diamond player is Xertah mid" reaction. If anything it does show the benefits of banning out higher MMR one tricks.

And also silver swains.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.