As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Conquest of Deepnest - Host Notes Up

38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid againwait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Critical Failures

Beyond this point you enter the land of King and Creator.
Step across this threshold and obey our laws.
Bear witness to the last and only civilization, the eternal Kingdom.
qdBvvvO.png
The Conquest of Deepnest

Produced and directed by 38thDoe
with Balance and Design Support by @MrBlarney

Witness a kingdom at the height of its power bravely bringing civilization and enlightenment to the far reaches of the world. Witness the brave knights, soldiers, and explorers that brought faces and minds to all they encountered. Perhaps you would like to join them on their greatest campaign, past the wastes to bring light and learning to places ever dark and brutish. Behold the simple barbarians who will welcome your coming with geo and love. Hoist your nail and repair your shell and prepare yourself for your greatest adventure. Wealth, Glory, and Enlightenment await you on your return to the palace. Perhaps you may even receive a ticket to see Marissa sing.

(WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!)

What’s all this now?

This is a regular game for 30 or more people. There is an informed minority and an uninformed majority.

Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forum Version of the Party Game Mafia. General rules of Phalla can be found here. New players are welcome as are old of course.

Specific rules can be found below:

Standard Phalla Rules/Mechanics:

You must vote each day. Vote in bold red for whomever you think is likely to be a threat to you. The winner of the vote will be eliminated every night. Tie votes will kill both people involved and the person causing the tie. Be careful.

In addition, everyone should make at least two posts each day. Failure to vote or contribute will lead to warning and replacement.

Do not directly quote anything from PMs with me, or take screenshots of them. It is okay to paraphrase role PMs however.

Do not add other players to PM conversations.

Do not anonymously contact anyone.

When you die you may make one ghost post which cannot contain any game information whatsoever.

Ask for clarifications in Bold DarkOrange. You can always PM me with clarification requests, or post them directly in the thread. If you have questions about your role you should probably use the PM method to avoid giving away info to the other players. They are *already* suspicious of you.

Make sure you invite me to any PMs or proboards you might form.

Order of actions: Vote>???>Guard>!!!>Attacks>Seer

The Day will Close at 3PM Eastern Time. Votes and orders cast at 2:59PM Eastern and earlier will count, those at 3:00PM Eastern and after will not count.

Signup in bold limegreen

Specific Rules/Mechanics:

Each player will have actions they may take every day.
Each player may only take one action per night unless otherwise stated.
Players will have an amount of hit points. If their hit points are reduced to zero they will be eliminated from the game.

If a player wishes to refrain from taking an action they may enter a defensive stance and will reduce the damage from the largest attack they receive by 50%. (rounded up)

Clarifications:
Infidel wrote: Β»
38thDoe wrote: Β»
If a player wishes to refrain from taking an action they may enter a defensive stance and will reduce the damage from the largest attack they receive by 50%.

Round down or up? :P

Rounded Up.
Someone wrote:
Can I attack myself?

You may not attack yourself.

38thDoE on steam
πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€
38thDoe on
Β«13456721

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Player List:
    1. ObiFett - Lance Sentry
    2. JusticeforPluto
    3. AustinP0027
    4. davidsdurions
    5. jdarksun - Dandy
    6. kime
    7. Infidel
    8. Auralynx - Fungified Bully
    9. Invictus - Soul Twister
    10. Bedlam - Hegemol
    11. premium
    12. discrider
    13. Obbi
    14. Cythraul - Medic
    15. Wildcat - Wanderer
    16. Jpants
    17. Spoit - Hornhead
    18. Bluecyan - Dandy
    19. Phyphor
    20. Heffling - Emilita
    21. H3Knuckles
    22. Gizzy - Winged Sentry
    23. Virgil_Leads_You - Bully
    24. SeGaTai
    25. LostNinja - Gorgeous Dandy
    26. Lucedes - Hornhead
    27. JaysonFour - Soul Warrior
    28. mrpaku - Deephunter

Reserves:
    1. Locus
    2. ...

On Vacation, possibly to the moon:
    1. ...

Narration Links:
    Opening Narration
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Finale
    Host Notes

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I do love phalla where everyone has nightly actions

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I have yet to beat Hollow Knight

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Attack Phalla eh? Why not

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have yet to beat Hollow Knight

Its so good.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’ve never done one of these, I hope I don’t die on day one.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lazy copy paste sign up

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !oh alright

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You know, that light is really fascinating...

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    If a player wishes to refrain from taking an action they may enter a defensive stance and will reduce the damage from the largest attack they receive by 50%.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: Β»

Rounded Up.

So much reading of the OP going on in here. Suspicious.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    innnnn

GeneralΓ­simo de Fuerzas Armadas de la RepΓΊblica Argentina
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What's an OP?

I'll admit I read enough to know the theme, though.

Well I read enough to know I didn't know the theme and to google "deepnest" and now I know the theme and that's good enough right?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ohh, bury the knight with her broken nail,
    Bury the lady, lovely and pale!
    Bury the priest in his tattered gown,
    Then bury the beggar with his shining crown!

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is it better than Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight bored me.

• Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    !signup

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

@discrider what!?

Seriously though, Hollow Knight is a fairly typical Metroidvania game, whereas Shovel Knight was sort of a mash-up of SMB3, Legend of Zelda II, Mega Man, and some Duck Tales. Mind you, Hollow plays great and looks great, but it's not blending several different game types like Shovel was. I don't think they're very comparable, is my point.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yes.

Hollow Knight and Disco Elysium are probably my two favorite games on Steam right now. But they are so different that its hard to rank them. I would say something like maybe everyone should play HK, but it aint gonna be everybodies cup of tea either.

Also Doe's Grub did a thing y'all gotta see:
    My 7 year old drew this:

xd0k7c1nccq1.png

Bedlam on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I plan on living by the Fifty Seven Precepts of Zote! Flee now, fools!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    I have never played this. It is fine.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Well I guess if you're going to bug me

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Who dares awaken me from my eternal lurk? Deep in the dark hallows of the internet I ascend clad in chitin and seta. Thou hast erred gravely and shall full suffer the curse of my participation foolish insect.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Sure

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'll signup since I owe you for ruining your Uber Elder run.

Heffling on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    signup

Dragging my feet on committing is practically a tradition for me at this point.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

I think so but then I really enjoyed Shovel Knight as well. I think Shovel Knight was actually the weakest part of Shovel Knight and it didn't really hit its stride until Specter Knight. King Knight's campaign was the best, and you can really see what they learned from the other three. Do you like Metroid games or post Symphony of the Night Castlevanias? I think its better than any of those I have played as well.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited October 2020

I think so but then I really enjoyed Shovel Knight as well. I think Shovel Knight was actually the weakest part of Shovel Knight and it didn't really hit its stride until Specter Knight. King Knight's campaign was the best, and you can really see what they learned from the other three. Do you like Metroid games or post Symphony of the Night Castlevanias? I think its better than any of those I have played as well.

Haven't played many/any.
    My problem with Shovel Knight was that the levels seemed far too long, with the difficulty not really spiking until the end of the level.
    So I got to the checkpoints going 'Do I break this for the dosh or keep it open just in case I do manage to stuff up and not have to go through the slog before again?'.

Honestly not sure what a Metroidvania is, having not played either of the titular games.
    Like is VVVVVV one?

discrider on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Haven't played many/any.
    My problem with Shovel Knight was that the levels seemed far too long, with the difficulty not really spiking until the end of the level.
    So I got to the checkpoints going 'Do I break this for the dosh or keep it open just in case I do manage to stuff up and not have to go through the slog before again?'.

Honestly not sure what a Metroidvania is, having not played either of the titular games.
    Like is VVVVVV one?

Generally platformers with additional content unlocked by powers you get through gameplay and accessed by re-traversing stuff you previously cleared but in a new way.

E: and often new weapons available throughout in modern ones.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Doesn't Shovel Knight only have a shovel?

• Options
    Doesn't Shovel Knight only have a shovel?

Spells and magic doohickeys also. Many add movement modes.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    It's been a while :/

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Shovel Knight is not generally considered a metroidvania. That's what I was trying to get at when I replied to you earlier. Shovel isn't really comparable to Hollow.

Metroidvanias typically are:
    • 2D, entirely sidescrolling (no world map)
    • Open-ended travel through different areas, no discrete 'stages'
    • Focus on exploration, where progression is typically non-linear, and involves searching multiple paths until you reach an obstacle, eventually finding something that lets you get past one kind of obstacle and backtracking to explore further along each path that now opens up, which leads to obtaining something that lets you overcome a different type of obstacle thereby opening even more of the map, rinse & repeat
    • Throughout the game, there will be various collectibles that make you more powerful (alternate weapons, life meter extensions, things like that) which are not essential for clearing the game but reward being thorough in exploration, and/or being able to defeat challenging optional boss fights

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Shovel Knight is not generally considered a metroidvania, disc. That's what I was trying to get at when I replied to you earlier. Shovel isn't really comparable to Hollow.

Metroidvanias are:
    • 2D, entirely sidescrolling (no world map)
    • Open-ended travel through different areas, no discrete 'stages'
    • Focus on exploration, where progression is typically non-linear, and involves searching different paths until you reach an obstacle, then finding something that lets you get past one kind of obstacle and backtracking to explore further along each path that opens up, which leads to obtaining something that lets you overcome a different type of obstacle thereby opening even more of the map, rinse & repeat

It's on the borderline, but like you said, there's a sidescroller - action genre that is mostly subsumed into the -vanias now which Shovel Knight is trying to reference, much more so than it is the main-line branch of the genre.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I'd say it's like comparing one of the old Halo games (like 1-3) to one of the more recent open-world Farcry games. Sure they are both first person shooters, but it doesn't feel very helpful.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    !signup
    Howdy

VayBJ4e.png