As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Also, some sad news but I have to RMA my Pandas. I got some light buzz in my left ear while in Bluetooth that won't go away, so I contacted support and they said I need to send them back. :cry:

ugh, I wonder where that'll end up the schedule. Do you have to wait till October to get another pair?

I have no idea. They said to let them know when I've sent it and they'll try to push it through as "smoothly and expeditiously as they can". But yeah it sucks.

Back on my 598s, but I already notice the slight bass boost and the lack of clamping on my head is nicer. However, the 598s are open back so I'm already like, 'why is everything else but my PC/phone sound so loud...?'

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Also, some sad news but I have to RMA my Pandas. I got some light buzz in my left ear while in Bluetooth that won't go away, so I contacted support and they said I need to send them back. :cry:

ugh, I wonder where that'll end up the schedule. Do you have to wait till October to get another pair?

I have no idea. They said to let them know when I've sent it and they'll try to push it through as "smoothly and expeditiously as they can". But yeah it sucks.

Back on my 598s, but I already notice the slight bass boost and the lack of clamping on my head is nicer. However, the 598s are open back so I'm already like, 'why is everything else but my PC/phone sound so loud...?'

That's an easy fix - just buy a pair of Shure 1540s!

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Can I ask a basic headphone question here? I've got a basic pair of skull candy bluetooth earbuds with a collar, and I'm not getting any sound out of the right bud now. Assume this means a wire issue and they're trash now but would be happy to hear other ideas.

:so_raven:
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Can I ask a basic headphone question here? I've got a basic pair of skull candy bluetooth earbuds with a collar, and I'm not getting any sound out of the right bud now. Assume this means a wire issue and they're trash now but would be happy to hear other ideas.

It's probably a wire issue, yeah. I had wired skull candies in college and I used to re-up my pairs yearly because of this issue as well. Not 100% the same scenario, but usually missing audio from something wired + skullcandies = wire issue in my experience.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you get the same issue using them on different devices, it’s def a wire.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    A lot of the time the failure is at the connector end, not the ear end -- so if you have spare male-male cables (or I've been using cheap dollar store earbuds too) then you can cut the connector off and solder it onto the end of the headphones. My kids have a couple of pairs of headphones that are on their second and third replacement ends like this:

0Y4XZFi.jpg
    jzFSf39.jpg

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Got my Backerkit email for the Pandas w/ mic. Apparently I'm backer 3074 to give anyone waiting for their email an idea of when theirs might come.

I've been dragging my current wired headphones between rooms so it'll be nice to 1) cut down on cables at my main work station and 2) not have to keep plugging/unplugging my headphones when I want to use them elsewhere (they're M50x's so I'm disconnecting then cable from the headphones but still).

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    My wife has been working from home (she's a psychologist, and she can see most of her clients via video not really any differently than in person, and the hospital system she works for has allowed it, so yeah), and she's on video calls a lot of most days.

Her hardware is...not fantastic, and in order for her to hear patients or them to hear her, the volume has gotten silly loud to the point that you can hear it from almost anywhere in the house. This is not ok for several reasons, but regardless, we need a better solution. She had some soundcore bluetooth headphones that she used a couple times but she said it sometimes wouldn't connect and wasn't reliable enough.

So I'm looking for an option that could be more reliable, and doesn't require her to have to use the laptop speakers/mic. I've noticed on videos, in a lot of interviews, people have airpods in one, or both, ears. I'm assuming they're using these for that purpose? I've got a pair of wireless earbuds that I use, but they're really obvious that you're wearing them, and the airpods at least aren't as noticable. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any recommendation for wireless earbuds that can be used either one side at a time, or both, that aren't super obtrusive, visually, but also aren't as insanely expensive as airpods? I just need to get her something reliable for these video calls, that ideally isn't wires dangling from her head, or a headset, so she doesn't have to be transmitting the sessions throughout the house, audibly. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have these ones.

Advantages: comfortable, reasonable noise isolation just because of their shape, sound quality is pretty decent, touch interface works as far as it goes, stay in place pretty well, low-profile enough to not cause wind noise, cheap, sound is fine when talking on them (though I haven't done this a lot, I'll admit). They can work one ear at a time.

Disadvantages: battery life is at least an hour and a bit (length of a dog walk, to be precise), but I'm not sure how much more than that; it looks like they claim a bit over two hours, which is plausible but I haven't tried it. When I knocked one out of my ear onto concrete, the bit of plastic on the back popped off, but a dab of superglue has taken care of that. Sometimes when walking there's a weird thing where they switch to mono and back, but overall they're pretty reliable. (note: this is connecting to an iphone, I dunno about connecting to a laptop -- that would depend on the quality of the bluetooth at the laptop end as well)

Not sure about longevity overall -- I've been using them pretty much daily for the last five months or so and they're still going strong.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I keep getting adds on Instagram for Edifier audio products. Are they decent or just well marketed?

:so_raven:
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    My wife has been working from home (she's a psychologist, and she can see most of her clients via video not really any differently than in person, and the hospital system she works for has allowed it, so yeah), and she's on video calls a lot of most days.

Her hardware is...not fantastic, and in order for her to hear patients or them to hear her, the volume has gotten silly loud to the point that you can hear it from almost anywhere in the house. This is not ok for several reasons, but regardless, we need a better solution. She had some soundcore bluetooth headphones that she used a couple times but she said it sometimes wouldn't connect and wasn't reliable enough.

So I'm looking for an option that could be more reliable, and doesn't require her to have to use the laptop speakers/mic. I've noticed on videos, in a lot of interviews, people have airpods in one, or both, ears. I'm assuming they're using these for that purpose? I've got a pair of wireless earbuds that I use, but they're really obvious that you're wearing them, and the airpods at least aren't as noticable. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any recommendation for wireless earbuds that can be used either one side at a time, or both, that aren't super obtrusive, visually, but also aren't as insanely expensive as airpods? I just need to get her something reliable for these video calls, that ideally isn't wires dangling from her head, or a headset, so she doesn't have to be transmitting the sessions throughout the house, audibly. :lol:
    If reliability is the main issue, I'd stay clear of Bluetooth. Modern homes just have too much Bluetooth spitting around in them for Bluetooth to be reliable. I'd get a headset that has its own RF USB dongle, if you insist on wireless.

The most reliable will still be a wired connection, and that's what I would recommend. Especially if your wife is working 8 hours a day, which leaves precious little time to recharge a wireless headset during the day. It's rare for wireless headsets to have battery life to last that long (especially earbuds)... a lot of earbuds will SAY they have 10 hours of play time or whatever, but it's best to just halve whatever they are claiming, since they tend to be idealized/inaccurate. Still, headsets tend to have better battery life than earbuds (usually double or triple the amount of battery life, which can easily exceed 8 hours), and there are some good models that aren't too expensive (the Corsair HS70 Pro is less than $100 and uses 2.4 GHz wireless with a USB dongle).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I use the BlueParrott B250 Bluetooth headset for work but then I don't need video on hardly ever. So far, battery life has been ok, I can use them 4-6 hours without issue (I'd done full day trainings with them). However they are not very comfertable over a long period of time. The headband digs into my head (maybe someone with hair would be ok lol) but the ear piece can get really uncomfortable.

The cheapest solution would be to use the mic on her laptop and use some wired earbuds for sound. If that ends up working, you can then invest in a blue yeti and/or wireless earbuds.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

So I sent in my Pandas via UPS on Tuesday, and I just got tracking information today for my replacement coming via Fed Ex. A surprising incredibly-swift turn-around all things considered. I'll probably have them sometime next week.

KoopahTroopah on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

So I sent in my Pandas via UPS on Tuesday, and I just got tracking information today for my replacement coming via Fed Ex. A surprising incredibly-swift turn-around all things considered. I'll probably have them sometime next week.

Some poor bastard's order just got pushed back :p

96058.png?1619393207
    Def mine

edited September 2020
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Just got my replacements. Gonna do some tests and see if the buzzing is gone.

Edit - Yeah, these are tons better. The disconnect/reconnect after no sound playing is rarer now too. Still seems like it happens but after a longer period of time between sounds.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2020
    Hey @Trajan45 what are you using for DSP for the Pandas? I'd like to up the bass a bit across the board.

Edit - Oh actually, I just enabled the 'Bass Boost' enhancement in Windows on the sound device in the system settings and that sounds better already.

KoopahTroopah on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

Some poor bastard's order just got pushed back :p

:(

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Hey @Trajan45 what are you using for DSP for the Pandas? I'd like to up the bass a bit across the board.

Edit - Oh actually, I just enabled the 'Bass Boost' enhancement in Windows on the sound device in the system settings and that sounds better already.

For Windows, I use my Soundblaster SBX pro studio to get the bass.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok folks. Any ideas for a decent pair of blue tooth earbuds to pair with my LG android phone that won't break the bank? I'm seeking maybe sub $30, looking for something to not mind passing through the wringer of work/working out (they don't need to be THE best for that). Ideally available on Amazon due to having Prime, and a decent battery life would be preferred. The pair I had before I would topoff the charge during my lunch; so combined it was able to run for about 8-9 hours with that. Thanks guys.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    I have the version before this, but they are my cheap bluetooth headphones that sound decent and are comfortable. I wear them when doing stuff like mowing the lawn and they isolate really well.

Link

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Do you guys have any tips for wireless headphones for a desktop rig? Preferably something that can be both wired and wireless that you can easily plug in and out?

Ive had a HD598s with modmic for a long while but it would be nice to be able to move in my apartment without taking them off. I already have a music system with floor speakers so they dont need to be audiophile levels of listenable but I'm accustomed to the effortless sound of the hd598s. Preferably over ear, no noise cancelling needed.

I assume you wont use a dac with a wireless pair.

Edit: Just figured out that modmic has a wireless version. Very expensive, but that does widen the net to include regular headphones.

Vic_Hazard on
    The downside to the wireless modmic is that your now pairing 2 things, the headphones and mic. I've had really good luck with my Soundblaster's beamforming mic. It came with my card, but you could try a cheaper USB mic that has directional settings. it wouldn't work if you wanted to chat while moving between rooms though. Sadly most wireless headphones have mediocre mic's built in.

Right now I don't think there is perfect wireless gaming headset. Everything will have some drawbacks.

Nearing the middle of October and still nothing on my July shipdate Pandas. Bummer.

Naphtali wrote: »
    Nearing the middle of October and still nothing on my July shipdate Pandas. Bummer.

At least they've been really transparent. The latest is that all July orders will be shipped by the end of the month. So fingers crossed.

Naphtali wrote: »

At least they've been really transparent. The latest is that all July orders will be shipped by the end of the month. So fingers crossed.

Yeah, but they've been basically saying that about July orders for almost the last two months. So I don't know. I get it, it's everything going on in the world right now; just a bummer.

So using the Panda's a good bit now, my overall thoughts are:

3.5mm - Nothing's really changed. They still lack any bass and thus really need some sort of EQ program to help out in that regard. Even with my Soundblaster Z stuff, for some games like Ace Combat where you want to feel the impact, I'll switch back over to my M50's. However that said, the technology is really clear and if I was playing Overwatch or something where I needed accuracy of sound, these would be killer. I'm using them with Divinity OS2 as the sound stage helps present more of a surround feel for background effects.

BT - This is really where the Panda's shine. I'm really hoping that my new PC with BT 5.0 allows for the Panda's to run with Windows better than they do with my cheap BT 4.0 dongle. The THX stuff is just amazing. While some genres like Rock could maybe use a touch more bass, I'm getting used to it and hopefully the EQ app will help. Otherwise they are just insane with accuracy, positioning, and sound stage. I was listening to some Distant Worlds stuff and it was off the charts. You could pick out where the string section was, where the horns where, it was amazing. Hymn of the Fayth is equally amazing with the solo vocal clearly coming from the left/behind you.

Comfort - Still working on this. I got moved my cloth headband over but these guys need way more cushioning. I have some Dekoni nuggets on the way to try next. Otherwise wearing them for longer stretches can be uncomfortable due to camp and lack of padding. Since I'm not able to add a fabric layer over the ear cups, I'll probably ping Drop in a couple months to see about replacement/backup ear pads.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. They are way better than my Shure BT215's and in many cases better than my M50's.

If you connect to the PC via USB they still use the amp correct?

I have BT5.0 built into my mobo now, so I'm really looking forward to trying it, but alas gonna be a little longer it seems.

The comfort part kinda sucks, for those longer game sessions I don't really want to be suffering.

edited October 2020
    We'll see if the Nuggets can help. Part of the discomfort is how I wear the headphones (one cup slightly off my ear so I can hear my GF). So the clamping force is a bit off. I'm super happy they added another couple notches, will allow for the extra padding.

I think your right about the USB, though I'm a bit nervous about keeping them plugged in via USB-C. Something about pressure put on the port over time.

EDIT: Well my nuggets just got lost in shipping, so it'll be next week before I can try them. One other thing I'll mention is that the battery life on these is awesome. I've only charged them once so far.

Trajan45 on
    Eeeeeyyy there's the survey, finally. :rotate:

Yeah I got mine as well, nice

I received my survey right before Drop sent out the notice saying shipments were going to be delayed again so I wasnt sure if I'd actually get them this month, but they've finally arrived. Been on calls all day so I havent had a chance to really check them out but they look nice and for the brief period they were on my head both felt comfortable and were surprisingly noise cancel-y.

Actually, just set them up and sound keeps dropping and I'm not sure why. Sound gets choppy then drops after about 30 seconds. I've only tried Youtube since I dont think I actually have any video content on this computer. Doesnt seem to happen when paired to my phone but admittedly I havent tested it too much.

It also makes a noise in the left headphone when on....I think the noise is still there when connected to my phone but just much fainter.

I think there is a breaking in period but I’m not sure, could possibly be that.

I know @KoopahTroopah had to RMA his but it sounded like a real quick turn around.

Yeah, the buzz in left ear is an RMA issue. They were very quick when replacing it if you'd like.

That being said, Windows is losing my device when plugged in via USB randomly. It automatically reconnects, but I have no idea what's causing it. It basically pauses in sound for about 5 seconds, and it hasn't happened during a gaming session yet so I'm unsure if it would cause lag spikes in video rendering too. The videos on YouTube and Streaming sites pause because the browser gets confused and tries to find an audio processor before continuing the video.

Possibly it's trying to draw to much power and the USB interface is shutting down and restarting?

I've seen that happen with hubs before. No USB errors come up?

I reached out to Drop support about the buzz and bluetooth connectivity issues. Headphones sound pretty good over usbc (much louder than over bluetooth) and no buzz, but I really want wireless headphones so...

edited October 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    Possibly it's trying to draw to much power and the USB interface is shutting down and restarting?

I've seen that happen with hubs before. No USB errors come up?

Support asked me to hard reset, and I haven't had it happen since. I've also rearranged my USB devices around my ports, so maybe it's just better power flow now too.

KoopahTroopah on
    Drop had me hard reset the headphones too which fixed the bluetooth connectivity issue and appears to have resolved the hum/buzz. Kinda hard to tell whether its still there or if I just think its there.

Reading plenty of issues on the Indiegogo site. I'm wondering if in their rush to catch up to schedule if build quality or testing is falling behind. Which is a shame as they are amazing bluetooth headphones.

On the plus side, I got my Dekoni nuggets in today and so far they help a ton with comfort. I haven't 100% attached them yet, as I'm trying to see where it's best pressure wise. Weirdly I almost want to put them long wise vs along the band.