As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The most foolproof cure for this is to give her an extremely long and involved answer, I did that with my kids and at least half of the time they'd lose the thread halfway through and forget what they asked in the first place.

Good luck!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've not had to deal with videogame training yet, but starting with watching semi-pro Minecraft videos feels like your setting the kid up for failure.

Start them on old Dark Souls speedrunning videos, make them train to beat the time, then when they feel triumphant beating it by a couple of seconds, show them the newer WR runs, where a whole 10 minutes have been cut off.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Athena has entered the 'Why?' Phase

Burpette never asks why, she asks how. Which is much better as there is often an answer. I assume this is because I'm an excellent parent and not just the usual dumb roll of the dice.

Relatedly, Maddie's Do You Know is absolute top tier TV aimed at the 4+ bracket. Maddie asks the big questions like "how is bubble wrap made?" and she damn well gets answers. There's a new thing she's doing about animals and bodies too which is also pretty great but Burpette isn't interested in animals when she can be learning how toilets work.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie skipped why and went to what.

We have now circled back to why.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My first grader pipes up from complete silence to ask me random math questions. Pretty sure she’s plotting something but I’ll not know it until it’s too late as she refuses to discuss why she must know what 10+10+10+10+6+8+3 is.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Why?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Why?

What's your address? Sending some chocolate covered espresso beans for the kids...

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    My wife flew home for a family emergency so I took time off work to take care of the kiddos.

Doing the online learning thing with a first grader while also occupying a three year old is just.. exhausting.

Plus all of the zoom meetings for speech therapy, OT, normal class things, etc. Then an ABA therapist at the house for two hours. I need a nap! Maybe this weekend, haha

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    The most foolproof cure for this is to give her an extremely long and involved answer, I did that with my kids and at least half of the time they'd lose the thread halfway through and forget what they asked in the first place.

Good luck!

So there's an extra step to this to actually make it work, and it's only temporary I'm beginning to fear. I am pretty sure most of the time my daughter doesn't really know what she's asking "why" to, she just knows she gets more talking from me if she asks that question. "why" <long answer> "why" <long answer> "why" etc to infinity.

I've taken to making her clarify "why what?" so that she actually has to know some idea of what she's asking. But now I think she just memorizes a phrase I said near the end and just uses that....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Good luck!

So there's an extra step to this to actually make it work, and it's only temporary I'm beginning to fear. I am pretty sure most of the time my daughter doesn't really know what she's asking "why" to, she just knows she gets more talking from me if she asks that question. "why" <long answer> "why" <long answer> "why" etc to infinity.

I've taken to making her clarify "why what?" so that she actually has to know some idea of what she's asking. But now I think she just memorizes a phrase I said near the end and just uses that....

Same here.

I do welcome the opportunity for Little King to talk and think more in his conversations, so sometimes I just ask him "why? can you think of a reason?" or "where could we find out more about this?" But after a few whys I'm just spent and tell him I'm not playing along any more.

Ah well, rather a thousand whys than another evening full of poop-"jokes". Little King loves the idea of poop and farts.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ah well, rather a thousand whys than another evening full of poop-"jokes". Little King loves the idea of poop and farts.

Who doesn't? Having Errol the dragon's method of propulsion being farts made ours spit milk out of his nose two days after hearing it in Guards! Guards!

As for videogames last night he completed Yoshi's Crafted World on his switch. He got through the Bowser fight first time with no trouble and then gave up on the hidden levels because those are way too hard

Now I just need to carry on convincing him that reading isn't the devil's pastime so he can enjoy the Pokemon game we got him. He hasn't gotten out of Pallet Town yet because people keep coming up to him and talking to him and he decides it's too much work to read the text box and then gets stuck in endless loops when he keeps pressing "no" on "did you get that?" prompts

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, Hades and Zag were so adorable back then!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How out of touch am I with vidja games these days? I was thinking of a God of War joke subtitle with Athena

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Only slightly. God of War is on that norse mythology these days.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

My son keeps watching this clip, giggling his head off, and clicking on the video to play it again. I swear we're up to 2 dozen watches at this moment.

Side note: he's figured out how to take videos of himself on his Kindle. He loves watching videos of himself. Combined, it's hilarious to watch a 4 year old rattle off gibberish into his Kindle screen, and then hear it played back for the next half hour on loop while he's dying of laughter at himself.

Edit: 9 more times after I made this post. He went from giggling to holding his chin like he was considering the movie near the end. Like, dude, wait until you're a guy in your 20s who's only taken a single film class before you start your film critic career, amirite? :lol:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley has landed in that ask all questions phase. In the last two weeks she's gone from broken sentences to full sentences and it's wild to like...have a conversation.

Tonight after we tuck in for bed, I am walking out of her room.

Ripley: Dad, I need to ask you something.
    Me: Uh. Okay, sure.
    Ripley: Do dogs sleep outside?

I explained some are outside dogs and some are inside dogs. She seemed satisfied.

Also, much love to my phone for autocorrecting "tuck" to "fuck" for the first attempt at this post.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ripley has landed in that ask all questions phase. In the last two weeks she's gone from broken sentences to full sentences and it's wild to like...have a conversation.

Tonight after we tuck in for bed, I am walking out of her room.

Ripley: Dad, I need to ask you something.
    Me: Uh. Okay, sure.
    Ripley: Do dogs sleep outside?

I explained some are outside dogs and some are inside dogs. She seemed satisfied.

Also, much love to my phone for autocorrecting "tuck" to "fuck" for the first attempt at this post.

Just be prepared that questions will quickly become a "delay bedtime" tactic.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ours is only 1.5 years so doesn't speak fully, but she gives lots of hugs and kisses right around 8pm.

I mean I'll still take them, but I'm on to her.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah, ours is only 1.5 years so doesn't speak fully, but she gives lots of hugs and kisses right around 8pm.

I mean I'll still take them, but I'm on to her.

Yeah there are definitely things she'll do that are 100% delaying sleep and we both know it but I let it happen anyways.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Every night. I put Kate to bed, and she’ll be back up to use the potty in our bedroom. Even if she just went before bed. I’m used to it, so I just tell her to go and get back in bed. Her mother loses her mind over it though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I was just singing to Aubree, nearly 2 years old, to calm her down for bedtime and half way through ABC’s song she yells out “NEXT SONG!” And it takes me a couple times to realize she is trying to control me like Alexa, so I sing twinkle little star and she requests it to do “tweengle again?”

She’s still awake, but getting close to sleep. My trick lately has been lots of Octopath Traveler and Anima Crossing for the soothing soundtracks.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kid's bedtime delay tactic is running in circles, climbing around on his mom like she's a climbing wall, etc. But he's also, since he was little, known when he was tired, and has on many nights decided that it's time for bed, guys, let's go and sleep.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Overheard this morning while my wife was getting my youngest ready for school: "why is there butter in your shirt drawer???"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Overheard this morning while my wife was getting my youngest ready for school: "why is there butter in your shirt drawer???"

I think you mean, "Why is there shirt in your butter drawer?"

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Just did the 18 month dr visit and the pediatrician said it might be the first time an 18 month old said hi clearly and appropriately to her when she entered the room. This does not help in my resistance to "my kid is a genius" instincts.

Also he is a beast at 34+ lbs and 34+" at 18 months. >99% weight/97% height/97% head but he is obviously active so no cause for concern yet

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Just did the 18 month dr visit and the pediatrician said it might be the first time an 18 month old said hi clearly and appropriately to her when she entered the room. This does not help in my resistance to "my kid is a genius" instincts.

Also he is a beast at 34+ lbs and 34+" at 18 months. >99% weight/97% height/97% head but he is obviously active so no cause for concern yet

I’ll just sit over here, with my munchkin, 5 years old and still not over 30lbs. She’s been at 28/29lbs for a year? She is 39” of course that’s in the <5% range as well! They made us do a food journal and when we showed it to the doctor, she was “Oh well obviously there’s nothing wrong there”. Why do doctors feel the need to shame parents without having facts?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    For pediatricians, it’s (generally) more about covering themselves for missing any and all possible neglect rather than trying to shame parents. Same thing with cancer, if you exhibit anything close to symptoms a doctor will immediately order tests to rule it out for fear of missing a diagnosis. There’s just some things that doctors must be certain of for both legal and moral reasons.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, starting out it's almost always "Patient is/reporting x: do this checklist first." before doing any real hard thinking about it, for a variety of reasons

• Options
    It’s impossible to catch my daughters doing their cute things on film because they immediately discover my attempts and alter their behavior. I really wish I could show you all my nearly 2 year old dropping things off the couch.

Because, say, it’s her milk. She quickly declares repeatedly “milky down! Milky down!” Or a doll, “baby down! Baby down!” Or a book, “booky down! Booky down!”

And I feel like we are real sailors and it’s great at 8am after a night of very bad sleep.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It’s impossible to catch my daughters doing their cute things on film because they immediately discover my attempts and alter their behavior. I really wish I could show you all my nearly 2 year old dropping things off the couch.

Because, say, it’s her milk. She quickly declares repeatedly “milky down! Milky down!” Or a doll, “baby down! Baby down!” Or a book, “booky down! Booky down!”

And I feel like we are real sailors and it’s great at 8am after a night of very bad sleep.

I'd recommend against getting a pet rabbit for now...

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

We have two small dogs, a chihuahua and a yorkie/westie mix, who do not put up with her shenanigans.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

We have two small dogs, a chihuahua and a yorkie/westie mix, who do not put up with her shenanigans.

bankpxevkzx6.jpg

I expect better from you people.. :)

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Watership Down is still hands-down one of my very favorite books. I'm super excited to read it to the boys, but I think we're still a year or so away from getting both of them to care about "the bunnies"

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Kids stayed up late watching the election results last night and now they're having a weekend sleep in of all weekend sleep ins and it's actually quiet on a Sunday morning for once.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ohgod

glitter.

what fool asshole of a parent puts a tube of pink glitter inside a birthday party favor bag.

WHY DO YOU DO THAT TO OTHER PARENTS.

• Options
    ohgod

glitter.

what fool asshole of a parent puts a tube of pink glitter inside a birthday party favor bag.

Just a tube of glitter? That's basically a war crime.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    We had a play date at a fellow daycare kids house where the only kids are invited were in the same daycare class. Ripley is playing well in the little inflatable bouncy house thing then this other kid shows up from daycare and Ripley said out loud, easily heard.

"I don't like <Daycare Kid>!"

He was perfectly nice and polite and come on Ripley, we are trying to establish friendships here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    ohgod

glitter.

Just a tube of glitter? That's basically a war crime.

I wouldn't call it a war crime, but its certainly a declaration of war. This calls for retaliation.