As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    There is something uniquely aggravating about tech nerds being so aggressively anti-union and I can’t explain it
    It's because they're standing in the way of the Techno Union becoming reality.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A windows reinstall is really painless, and a good way to clean up a few years of software cruft.

It depends on your PC and internet but last time I did, it was about 50mins and almost zero interaction needed.

You can avoid redownloading big games usually by pointing towards changed directories.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I believe I have had an espresso from that very machine. I can confirm it makes excellent coffee, plus it is very fun to drink a hand pumped coffee. I felt very cool and trendy.

Is the baratza virtuoso + any good? The wire cutter rates it https://butfirstcoffee.nz/collections/grinders/products/baratza-virtuoso-grinder

Not that one, I only got it recently. It was the Rok you had one from if it was at my place.

I don't know much about specific grinders so I'll defer to other reviews for it. I'll note the blurbage on that site there pretty clearly doesn't mention it being good for expresso, but it'll be great for everything else I'm sure. Then again I'm sure mine (a Breville smart grinder pro I got for half price) isn't rated for espresso but I've been using it for that for years and it's fine enough.

pimento on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I buy my coffee pre-ground. Am I history’s greatest monster?

You’ve never been great at anything Tef.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We started doing the french press coffee a few months ago and haven't touched our Keurig in over a year.

But my wife loves espresso, and we got an espresso machine when we got married but its a lot of work, so I thought "Hey that Nespresso with the milk frother would be a good christmas gift!"

so thanks on the insight guys

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I really like the now-classic Aeropress/Hario hand grinder combo. Originally bought it for backpacking and camping but it's become a fixture of my daily kitchen life. Affordable, lightweight, low maintenance, almost no waste beyond the little paper filters

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Did someone summon me?

https://youtu.be/2I1GhXjIG6o

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There have been 12 iPhones?

Jeezers.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    so you're telling me the "radical design" that these dorks have been hyping up for months is literally something from 10 years ago

alright, that's cool, keep on keeping on

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I waited until the iPhone X to finally upgrade from my old iPhone 5S. Definitely seems like waiting another 5 generations is the way to go.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Only Apple would have the courage to go back to a design they pioneered a decade ago.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    anything cool about it? anything at all?

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I ordered the pixel 5 mainly because my current one dies when I play anything with audio and it's on 20% or less batter.

Don't feel great about it though.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Straight sides is VASTLY superior to curved sides, but it makes the phone feel thicker in your hand.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah in terms of innovations I really feel like you may as well wait 5 years or so to upgrade. My problem is that the battery can’t last nearly that long and the OS starts chugging thanks to planned obsolescence!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I have the 11 pro XL or whatever it's really called, and it was a pretty good upgrade just because the battery is fucking tonk.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Really don't like those big camera bumps that every phone seems to have these days.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I have an 8 Plus and I am going to have to update this year. The battery just flat fucking sucks and it's really starting to chug. I haven't see anything other than rumors but if the 999 12 Pro is correct i'll probably get that. The uber model is way too big for me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

you can add magnetic device things to it and use that for wireless charging is the main thing
    and then the usual lighter/thinner and faster chip stuff

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I was recently reminded of how much I hate Apple. My mother made a video on her iPhone that I would like. So she sent it to my phone. Which is a Pixel. So of course it's crap on my phone. No big deal, I'll just email it to me. Nope, it's juuuust a little too big and won't send. Ok, let's try hooking it up to my PC and just DL it. Nope, PC can't recognize file type.(WTF windows 10) On top of the device deciding it'll turn itself off a bit through the process. Such a pain in my ass.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah in terms of innovations I really feel like you may as well wait 5 years or so to upgrade. My problem is that the battery can’t last nearly that long and the OS starts chugging thanks to planned obsolescence!

I have not had that experience. My 5s ran for 6 years with a battery swap at year four for $60. iOS ran fine through all of it. My wife is currently on a 3 year old 6s and its battery is fine and iOS is still peppy. My X is going on 3 years with no problems, I MIGHT upgrade next year because the monolith design is my favorite phone design.

Now wearing out batteries is user dependent. A heavy user will require a swap sooner, but iOS really does run pretty well on older phones.

Id say up until the X that phones were still making pretty big gains in horsepower and functionality, so I side eye planned obsolescence pretty hard.

Now right to repair? Thats a serious problem we need to dogpile apple for, and some of the android makers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

you can add magnetic device things to it and use that for wireless charging is the main thing
    and then the usual lighter/thinner and faster chip stuff

this shit is so stupid though. Like, god damn, you would think humans had fragile baby bird bones and can't hold something that weighs more than 5 ounces. Make the god damn battery last days! who gives a shit if the thing weighs 10 ounces because of it!!!! Christ!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think Apple needs to step back and go back to releasing Iphones not every single year

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I was recently reminded of how much I hate Apple. My mother made a video on her iPhone that I would like. So she sent it to my phone. Which is a Pixel. So of course it's crap on my phone. No big deal, I'll just email it to me. Nope, it's juuuust a little too big and won't send. Ok, let's try hooking it up to my PC and just DL it. Nope, PC can't recognize file type.(WTF windows 10) On top of the device deciding it'll turn itself off a bit through the process. Such a pain in my ass.

The video thing is weird. I have no problems running anything shot on my phone on my pc. I do use VLC though, so maybe thats it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'll give it up though, if when I decide I need to upgrade my cat video technology to 4k60 with dolby vision, I know where to go.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    There's a coffee thread over in D&D here for more details.

Baratza make good grinders, and they sell spare parts and have a bunch of repair videos, so you can keep them going for a long time. I have one of the Flair hand-powered espresso machines, and while it's a bit of a faff boiling water and letting things heat up compared to just pressing a button, it's a lot of fun:

rlYMCO7.jpg

(personally, I think Nespresso coffee just plain tastes wrong -- they have one at work and despite trying a bunch of the different sorts of beans/roasts/etc, there is just a weird flavour in there that doesn't agree with me somehow)

• Options
  • Options
    what does the pro get you?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

300 fewer dollars in your bank account from the looks of it

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i liked my 4S enough but i don't think i'd want to go back to straight sides

but honestly at this point i'm not sure what is ever going to get me to upgrade from an X because they're all the same phone more or less these days.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    As someone that barely ever does anything besides web browsing on their phone, I don't really understand the appeal of high end phones.

• Options

the pro series has a third camera to achieve depth and i think the hugest one actually has a telephoto lens

• Options
    edited October 2020
    cursedking wrote: »

the pro series has a third camera to achieve depth and i think the hugest one actually has a telephoto lens

Yea, 5x zoom, which is tempting.
    Peewi wrote: »
    As someone that barely ever does anything besides web browsing on their phone, I don't really understand the appeal of high end phones.

Cameras are the big one anymore, and better GPUs for those folks who play a lot of games. Especially shooters like fortnight.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    i would consider the pro max for the lens except it's way too big for a phone.

cursedking on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    for a moment i was like oh the blue 12 pro looks sick but then it's like oh wait i'm going to slap a case on it immediately why would it matter

reading the Verge summary, this got a chuckle out of me

xv4u8vnqx3tm.png

Like....yes? What other reason could there even be for a faster wireless signal?????

cursedking on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fucking up weather forecasts, which is ironically something I check on my phone

"lol"

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

Cameras are the big one anymore, and better GPUs for those folks who play a lot of games. Especially shooters like fortnight.

I suppose that makes sense, though I had assumed that people that really care about cameras would get separate cameras.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yea but what do you need to be faster? 4G loads videos fast enough and streams fine, what else are you downloading on your phone over the cell network that you need to be even faster?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Yea but what do you need to be faster? 4G loads videos fast enough and streams fine, what else are you downloading on your phone over the cell network that you need to be even faster?

I mean, it definitely does not for like group video chat and calling, stuff drops all the time. I also frequently have videos drop of chug

This discussion has been closed.