As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Conquest of Deepnest - Host Notes Up

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Is it better than Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight bored me.

I think so but then I really enjoyed Shovel Knight as well. I think Shovel Knight was actually the weakest part of Shovel Knight and it didn't really hit its stride until Specter Knight. King Knight's campaign was the best, and you can really see what they learned from the other three. Do you like Metroid games or post Symphony of the Night Castlevanias? I think its better than any of those I have played as well.

Haven't played many/any.
    My problem with Shovel Knight was that the levels seemed far too long, with the difficulty not really spiking until the end of the level.
    So I got to the checkpoints going 'Do I break this for the dosh or keep it open just in case I do manage to stuff up and not have to go through the slog before again?'.

So I actually had the same issue in Shovel Knight. When I first started playing it I tried to break every checkpoint and I made it to about the Iron Whale/Explodatorium and restarted the entire levels until I got sick of the game and stopped playing. Several months later I went through without breaking any checkpoint and it turned out that not only did I have a lot of fun playing the game but I also had plenty of money to afford everything I needed. I enjoyed the game enough to play through the campaigns 3x each and 100% the thing.

What you are saying about the level length was addressed in King Knight where they broke the levels up into short segments with alternate exits and branching paths.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

Signup

PSN SeGaTai
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Is it better than Shovel Knight? Shovel Knight bored me.

I think so but then I really enjoyed Shovel Knight as well. I think Shovel Knight was actually the weakest part of Shovel Knight and it didn't really hit its stride until Specter Knight. King Knight's campaign was the best, and you can really see what they learned from the other three. Do you like Metroid games or post Symphony of the Night Castlevanias? I think its better than any of those I have played as well.

Haven't played many/any.
    My problem with Shovel Knight was that the levels seemed far too long, with the difficulty not really spiking until the end of the level.
    So I got to the checkpoints going 'Do I break this for the dosh or keep it open just in case I do manage to stuff up and not have to go through the slog before again?'.

So I actually had the same issue in Shovel Knight. When I first started playing it I tried to break every checkpoint and I made it to about the Iron Whale/Explodatorium and restarted the entire levels until I got sick of the game and stopped playing. Several months later I went through without breaking any checkpoint and it turned out that not only did I have a lot of fun playing the game but I also had plenty of money to afford everything I needed. I enjoyed the game enough to play through the campaigns 3x each and 100% the thing.

What you are saying about the level length was addressed in King Knight where they broke the levels up into short segments with alternate exits and branching paths.

I loved Shovel Knight, but I would never recommend breaking checkpoints. I think that functionality was just there for the IWBTG/Super Meatboy types.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    signup

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I would break checkpoints if I was replying a level to farm gold. Especially the Kings Knight level, go real good at that.

JusticeforPluto on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    signup because I forgot literally everything about hollow knight and I should play it again.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    signup because it's time to feed my phalla addiction.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I would break checkpoints if I was replying a level to farm gold. Especially the Kings Knight level, go real good at that.

Really breaking checkpoints is best in New Game+ because then you have that cheap invincibility item for Shovel Knight and the cheap make a platform under you for plague knight. Ugh propeller knight!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Just a quick update, if we can get one more person before Vote close I'll try and get us started today.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Alright, I've got a Nail to bring to this party

Roles will begin going out spam filter pending. Please do not discuss roles until a narration comes up.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    hype hype hype

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited October 2020
    Opening Narration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZylLMiFeY

A mighty armored figure stands before you. His enormous steel shell scrapes the walls of the cavern you stand in. With a shove he knocks aside a giant mushroom heavy with sticky thread. His booming voice address you and your fellows:
    "THIS IS IT THE EDGE OF THE UNTAMED WILD. ONCE WE ENTER HERE THE DEFENDERS WILL RUSH TO SURRENDER TO US. LOOK AT THIS NONSENSE THEY USE." The knight grans at some of the thread and crushes it with his hand.

"CRUSH THE OPPOSITION TO DUST, GET THE SURRENDER AND GET OUT. FOR THE GLORY OF THE KING!" The knight raises up an image of the king above his head. There is some scattered applause from your fellows but most are looking hesitantly into the inky darkness before you. The knight slams his mace down and everyone dutifully cheers. Then you start marching into the kingdom of Deepnest. The officials have been saying how easy this will be but you have heard some unsavory things about this area...

The Game has started, Good Luck!

If someone you didn't get a role pm let me know!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Day 1 Meta hasn't changed since last decade right?

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Obbi wrote: »
    Day 1 Meta hasn't changed since last decade right?

!kime

OrokosPA.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Bugs, Insects, Anthropods, lend me your antennae! This world was given to our kind so that we might thrive, be fruitful and swarm throughout the tunnels of the earth. There are more kinds of us than there are of the rest of the web of life combined!

What is out there for us to fear? The dark is not alien, not unknown, it is our birthright. Born away from the dangerous surface this is our element! What use of light when ours is a world of odors and vibrations. What hazard could stop us that we cannot burrow through. Our shells are hard, our horns powerful and our nails sharp. We should not fear what's in the dark, what's in the dark should fear us!

For the king, for your friends, for your family, for all of our shelled brethren, wade out into the inky depths and carve out a kingdom that will stand for eternity, a monument to our kind. Unfortunately, not all can go off to glory, some of us must stay back to coordinate and secure this area. I nominate and confirm myself for this thankless task, that the rest of you can go out and do those things I was talking about. Oh, except for you, the big guy with the mace, you can stay here too.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Lets just get this out of the way early discrider

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    oh, uh, man, I definitely thought this was gonna be about conquest by Deepnest, and not trying to conquer Deepnest.

I am, uh, substantially less excited about our chances than I was before I got clearer on the project.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    oh, uh, man, I definitely thought this was gonna be about conquest by Deepnest, and not trying to conquer Deepnest.

I am, uh, substantially less excited about our chances than I was before I got clearer on the project.

Are you expressing a lack of faith in the might and prowess of our King?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    !Wildcat for me, with apologies.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    So when does day 1 end?

OrokosPA.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Cythraul so I don't forget.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    premium beamium

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    gizzy shmizzy

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Well darn it, I forgot who I was grudging.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Also, am I right that vote close is in just under 20 hours?

Infidel wrote: »
    So when does day 1 end?

I was planning on 3pm EST tomorrow 10/15/20
    I shorted everyone an hour or so getting roles out, I can extend an extra day to compensate if it is an issue.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    closest thing I have to a grudge I guess is Invictus for killing me in Galactic Faction Phalla so that works for day 1.

Also tomorrow for day close works fine.

edited October 2020
    Someone wrote:
    Can I attack myself?

You may not attack yourself.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Don't think I have any grudges.

Infidel

Infidel wrote: »
    So when does day 1 end?

I was planning on 3pm EST tomorrow 10/15/20
    I shorted everyone an hour or so getting roles out, I can extend an extra day to compensate if it is an issue.

I need every second

But no it's fine. I should probably read the OP. Is it anything more complicated than "boop people with your fists and fists make hearts go down and when you run out of hearts you die"? Probably not.

Steam profile
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hmmm

Player List:
    1. ObiFett
    2. JusticeforPluto
    3. AustinP0027
    4. davidsdurions
    5. jdarksun
    6. kime
    7. Infidel
    8. Auralynx
    9. Invictus
    10. Bedlam
    11. premium
    12. discrider
    13. Obbi
    14. Cythraul
    15. Wildcat
    16. Jpants
    17. Spoit
    18. Bluecyan
    19. Phyphor
    20. Heffling
    21. H3Knuckles
    22. Gizzy
    23. Virgil_Leads_You
    24. SeGaTai
    25. LostNinja
    26. Lucedes
    27. JaysonFour
    28. mrpaku

davidsdurions you seem super cool. I like your avatar too!

I’ve never done one of these, I hope I don’t die on day one.

The people who die on day one are the best of us tho!
    But yeah, my suggestion for a first time vote, is to give someone nice some attention, unless something really picks up as suspect.
    Think of those day 1 votes as a thumbs up!
    Everyone is in love with Kime of course!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I guess I also like looking for people who take a long time to post. Means they have something to think about sometimes. Really "sometimes" should be a qualifier to most posts. Everything is suspect, I wouldn't worry about things too much.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Virgil the chicken, devourer of grubs! You shall not lead us astray.
    thumbs up

I guess I also like looking for people who take a long time to post. Means they have something to think about sometimes. Really "sometimes" should be a qualifier to most posts. Everything is suspect, I wouldn't worry about things too much.

How do you measure how long people took to post? Besides me saying something like "this post took 488 seconds"

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

How do you measure how long people took to post? Besides me saying something like "this post took 488 seconds"

Are you asking them to just tell you where the spy cams are located?

Trade secret :P

VayBJ4e.png
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    jdarksun when did this tradition start?! I don't recall any such tradition!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Truth be told I don't remember much at all these days... Something in the air around here doesn't agree with me.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph