As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The US Department of Justice has arrested two members of a "console hacking group" called Team Xecuter. I'm not familiar with a lot of their work, but I do know that they released that Classic2Magic device which allowed you to use your own SNES cartridges with the SNES Classic mini. Of course, it did this by dumping the rom and then using an outdated version of hakchi (supplied with the device without contacting the developers) to hack the SNES Classic.

They're also responsible for a USB drive that was sold on sites like Amazon that allowed you to hack your PS Classic & Genesis Classic. And, of course, these hacks were just repackaged hacking programs created by the community for free, like hakchi, and used without permission. Also, these drives included actual copyrighted roms & isos.

Anyway, I'm not sad about these guys getting arrested. Also, one of them is named Gary Bowser. Heh.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    SX are infamous for their current "work" in the Switch scene which is likewise rebranding open source homebrew as their own paid product and integrating that with modified Nintendo code to enable piracy features. They also started selling modchips for more recent Switch models which really set Nintendo off, they just sued one reseller for $2 million. Apparently going into the realm of selling physical goods makes it easier to get the U.S. courts after these people.

These two guys were mostly salespeople AFAIK, the devs are spread elsewhere, so the hacking will likely continue, even if they have to change their brand.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's funny how people with the name Bowser keep showing up in Nintendo related news.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    So long, Gary Bowser.
    I wish I came up with that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Worth noting (repeatedly, if need be) that "Sonic Boom" has nothing to do with blue hedgehogs.

Or, indeed, flat-topped American colonels that were once played by a Belgian dude in a movie.

Next you're going to tell me Kylie Minogue wasn't really in a fake United Nations peacekeeping mission.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The US Department of Justice has arrested two members of a "console hacking group" called Team Xecuter. I'm not familiar with a lot of their work, but I do know that they released that Classic2Magic device which allowed you to use your own SNES cartridges with the SNES Classic mini. Of course, it did this by dumping the rom and then using an outdated version of hakchi (supplied with the device without contacting the developers) to hack the SNES Classic.

They're also responsible for a USB drive that was sold on sites like Amazon that allowed you to hack your PS Classic & Genesis Classic. And, of course, these hacks were just repackaged hacking programs created by the community for free, like hakchi, and used without permission. Also, these drives included actual copyrighted roms & isos.

Anyway, I'm not sad about these guys getting arrested. Also, one of them is named Gary Bowser. Heh.

This seems like an over reach of power. They're making it so actual cartridges work on the system. Like, why go after this when I can download a rom and make my mini play it?

Am I missing something or is this just a BS lawsuit?

RickRude wrote: »

This seems like an over reach of power. They're making it so actual cartridges work on the system. Like, why go after this when I can download a rom and make my mini play it?

Am I missing something or is this just a BS lawsuit?

There's a lot more to it than just the SNES Classic thing. I mentioned that tidbit because it was relevant to the thread. That being said, turns out they hosted actual roms on their site for the C2M.

But check out the article for more info.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Here's an English unboxing, gameplay demonstration, and teardown of the GG Micro. Including size comparison to a real GG.

https://youtu.be/MnSnEpiNRMo

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Aw man, now I want one.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I'm glad I can't see the screen, otherwise I would too.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd need a magnifying glass just to make out what's on the screen.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    What is this, a portable for ants!?

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Looks like there's plenty of space to cram in a bigger screen...

I got the email that my Golden Axe Arcade 1up is shipping. My birthday is coming early. :D

Oh god, where am I going to put it? Damn you monkey’s paw!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Here's an English unboxing, gameplay demonstration, and teardown of the GG Micro. Including size comparison to a real GG.

https://youtu.be/MnSnEpiNRMo

I was waiting for him to brick it 5 minutes after opening it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

As someone who has played some SG-1000 games relatively recently....

A Dreamcast Mini would be the better choice.

Or at least make it a Master System Mini with some SG-1000 games on it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dreamcast is a sound idea. So they'll doubtless do the SG-1000 instead... but yeah, do it as a bonus in a Master System and we might be talking.

I still want a Saturn mini.

edited October 2020
    Only trouble with a Dreamcast Mini is they pretty much need Soul Calibur. And probably Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Edit: oh right, saw this review of the MVS-X, a pricey bartop arcade with a bunch of neo-geo games. Probably other reviews will pop up over time as this unit works its way to different youtubers. The TLDR is that the input lag and accuracy are pretty good for emulation, the pixel-perfect display modes look great, the sticks kind of suck but are replaceable, speakers are really bad, and you might want more games for the price. But according to the guest Neo Geo expert, its not a bad way to experience the included games.

https://youtu.be/J8cWivOhYhA

rahkeesh2000 on
    Wow, for Prime Day, Amazon UK has the PC Engine Core Grafx Mini for £69.99 (30% off). That's a nice deal. Also the Sega Mega Drive Mini for £49.99.

Built just in time for Treat Yo Self day.

dhdl1ap8xn7h.jpg

Golden Axe, say hello to your baby sibling.

How many of the games on that are 4-player?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

dhdl1ap8xn7h.jpg

I'm jealous, it would look good next to mine. ;)

kdbmti4jh2ct.png

wVEsyIc.png
    forty wrote: »

To my knowledge, only Revenge of Death Adder. I'm not familiar with Wrestle War - haven't played it yet.

cj iwakura wrote: »

dhdl1ap8xn7h.jpg

kdbmti4jh2ct.png

What's that arcade cabinet doing in front of that lovely Ri Khoran poster? :confused:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

dhdl1ap8xn7h.jpg

kdbmti4jh2ct.png

What's that arcade cabinet doing in front of that lovely Ri Khoran poster? :confused:

You can still see her. It's definitely blocking a crucifix, though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    forty wrote: »

To my knowledge, only Revenge of Death Adder. I'm not familiar with Wrestle War - haven't played it yet.
    37647816604_e0b9b4f854_b.jpg
    It would appear Wrestle War is only 2 player. I didn't know they made a 4-player Golden Axe game, though! I thought they all only had 3 characters.

edited October 2020
    Analogue just announced their upcoming Duo, your all-in-one PC Engine /Supergrafx FPGA console, accepting both hucards and CD ROMs. It will launch in 2021 for $200. As usual it will work with all the 8bitdo controllers, including the ones they made for the PCE/Turbo minis.

4_Hucards___FPGA_CD.0.png

They also showed off a $30 adapter to let you play hucard games on the upcoming Analogue Pocket. I.E. now you can get the Turbo Express experience.

5_Pocket___TG16_PCE.png

rahkeesh2000 on
    Aw man, now I wish I got one of the Pockets.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2020
    Fucking hell, I'd jump right on a Duo, if it weren't for the sheer cost of rebuilding a collection of original PCE/TG games. But dear God that is awesome.

Also cheaper than an original classic one, unusally for Analogue!

Jazz on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I played Wrestle War in the arcade exactly once in my childhood, and I can't even remember where it was, just that it was on a youth group trip and that they had both that and WWF Superstars in the same arcade. I don't believe it was 2 player only, I feel like we played single player through a list of opponents. I do know it has a weird effect where the camera constantly flips to match your point of view.

Fucking hell, I'd jump right on a Duo, if it weren't for the sheer cost of rebuilding a collection of original PCE/TG games. But dear God that is awesome.

Luckily I still have my entire TG16 collection plus working TG16. But man this thing is tempting.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Luckily I still have my entire TG16 collection plus working TG16. But man this thing is tempting.

If this were able to load games from a source (like SD card), then it might be worth it (for me) since I don't own any Turbografx/PC-Engine/etc. games. I know past Analogue consoles someone has released alternative firmware to make that happen so I'm sure the same will also happen here. I think, however, the Turbografx-16 mini is enough for me. Once that is hacked, then I'll be truly content. Glad they're making it though. We need Analogue to make a Sega Saturn console. My Saturn still works just fine, but the drive replacements are as expensive as an Analogue console usually.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone is reproducing the Sega Satrun in fpga form anytime in the next... decade or so.

It still bums me out that my Saturn died about 3 years after I bought it used in the early 2000s. Still got it, though, in case I ever want to try and fix it.

Might be worth installing a MODE instead of drive replacement.

Polymega is looking pretty good as a plug n play emulation solution too. But probably not what you want if you've already got the hardware.

Might be worth installing a MODE instead of drive replacement.

Polymega is looking pretty good as a plug n play emulation solution too. But probably not what you want if you've already got the hardware.

Yeah, the MODE thing (didn't know it was called that) is specifically what I was thinking of. A bit pricey, though! Especially when I have other means of playing Saturn games.

But it'd be fun for a theoretical retro gaming night with friends and Saturn Bomberman and Death Tank Zwei. If that can actually ever happen again!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My OG Saturn from 96 still works fine, apart from some A/V snafus. Sounds great on my modern TV, too. Thing is a tank.

wVEsyIc.png