As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Tube wrote: »
    I also think this is a really bad look for a protagonist in 2020

WCCFwerewolftheapocalypse2.jpg

now there's a man who would abduct a state governor

wait if you just put a stupid hat on him, and...

L8UH7R4.png

of course captain price is a shitty werewolf

Brolo on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Weird choose your own adventures is the best possible format for adapting World of Darkness games and I'm honestly shocked it took this long for people to start doing it

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Weird choose your own adventures is the best possible format for adapting World of Darkness games and I'm honestly shocked it took this long for people to start doing it

Between the VtM CYOA's, Disco Elysium, Paradise Killer and how HBS' Shadowrun's are best when a text box is open I think the past half a decade of RPG's and TTRPG adaptations make a strong argument for being nothing but really good art, music and text before any combat aspects are even suggested.

• Options

Between the VtM CYOA's, Disco Elysium, Paradise Killer and how HBS' Shadowrun's are best when a text box is open I think the past half a decade of RPG's and TTRPG adaptations make a strong argument for being nothing but really good art, music and text before any combat aspects are even suggested.

6XNdv0v.png

you can do a whole lot with strong writing and character design

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Explore the myths and monsters of Europe’s last primeval wilderness. Play as Maia, who arrives at the ancient Białowieża Forest looking to explore her family history. Discover Rage in an adventure game inspired by the experience of the legendary tabletop roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
    20201013 Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest (visual novel, narrative, werewolves, horror)

It amazes me that this both came out of nowhere and still looks worlds better than the 'action RPG' that's been in all kinds of production hell for years and has nothing to show for it but a very bad janky action trailer.
    I played the demo and it sold me on the game enough to have just picked it up on GoG, so.

(I'm kind of half-looking forward to the action game also, but since the game is being developed by Cyanide Studios it being janky and promising-but-not-great is a given. They're like Bethesda, after a while you know what you're getting)

It kind of sucks, the original premise sounded great, then they shied away from it and more towards an action game.
    All the World of Darkness settings are cool as punch, I just wish non-Vampire ones got nearly as much love as that one.

I think I got you the sourcebook ages ago, didn't I? Or was that someone else, it's been years...
    Wonder if they got any use out of it.

I'm terrible at playing Werewolf, but I love the setting.
    Nah, must've been someone else, however thanks to my SO there's like 2 entire shelves of WoD books, so I'm covered. :)

I should look up what the current Werewolf is all about, back in the day it was fighting the losing fight against the Wyrm. Aren't they basically eco terrorists for Gaia now?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

[img]https:// cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/WCCFwerewolftheapocalypse2.jpg[/img]
    I feel like the default neonazi look nowadays is more thin, kinda gaunt, with that dumb hitler youth haircut.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    yeah but like, you knew what I was talking about without me saying it so... pretty bad still!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

For sure, it's something I'm really loving to see.

Although that said, I feel like some TTRPGs wouldn't do as well with a straight text adaptation as well. Stuff like Shadowrun needs a bit of tactical combat; it would feel very weird to try and do a D&D CYOA (which of course has been done before and in fact is).

With World of Darkness (specifically Vampire and seemingly Werewolf), there's a lot of just talking and reading and building mood, and combat is generally supposed to be quick and brutal. I do think the formula might start to dilute a bit if you stretch it in other WoD directions - Mage and Hunter might not be so great, y'know?

• Options
    Shadowrun I think mostly could work with focusing the mechanics more on the B&E infiltration and set up and less on the shit going side ways.

But yeah, Vampire being both a pretty heavily social game and also small enough in player scale that you still have someone tell you what to do lends itself to the format.

I’d be turbo down for whatever nightmare an exalted crpg would be like.

• Options
    Harebrained Schemes are working on a horror RPG. Given that they're owned by Paradox, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Vampire based.

• Options
    Personally I'd really like to get back to that idea of Changeling as a survival horror game, that sounds like it would be great

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    yeah but like, you knew what I was talking about without me saying it so... pretty bad still!
    Kinda, but it took me a moment.

• Options
    Also I've being playing Pyre and on the 3rd 'set'.

Genuinely baffled this is the flop of Supergiants games because I wanna talk about it with most everyone and the initially finnicky gameplay becomes rock solid once the difficulty ramps up to make it more than routine dunking on folks.

Also fuck imps. Little bastards.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fishman I am really confused how you batsignaled me without an @ in your post.

But yay for being a stompy mech I can't wait to crush all humans.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

WCCFwerewolftheapocalypse2.jpg

I think he's hot.

Or are you talking about the bald one?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman I am really confused how you batsignaled me without an @ in your post.

But yay for being a stompy mech I can't wait to crush all humans.

Oh, I'm a wizard. I use magic.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Oh that's clever, I didn't know that would work. I have a different technique for secretly @'ing people, but I might like that one better.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i like the story in pyre a lot

the gameplay i'm cooler on. it's not bad, but for something that's constantly compared to NBA Jam it just always felt... slow? Sterile, maybe? I wanted it to feel bigger and more kinetic and it felt more like moderately-paced chess, and even deep into the game with all my best players gone I won the vast majority of games

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I never finished Pyre but I really struggled to feel like I ever was playing matches that differently.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

oh I guess torchlight 3 finally came out of early access

• Options
    edited October 2020
    i like the story in pyre a lot

the gameplay i'm cooler on. it's not bad, but for something that's constantly compared to NBA Jam it just always felt... slow? Sterile, maybe? I wanted it to feel bigger and more kinetic and it felt more like moderately-paced chess, and even deep into the game with all my best players gone I won the vast majority of games

The gameplay sometimes feels stiff or ungainly for me and, more than anything, I hate that the AI can instantly switch between team mates and you can't, but I've had way more matches that were tense and rad where I felt like a god for pulling off just the right jump to soar past banishment and into the flame than I've had ones where it's weird blend of strategy and kinetic rushes felt bad.

EDIT: As for playing rites differently: I feel like the weirder competitors on both sides shake it up well enough and the talismans can help effect it further.

The Withdrawn's motherfucking two imp, one dunk heavy bogwitch is the most extreme example I've run into so far.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

oh I guess torchlight 3 finally came out of early access
    Woof.

• Options
    Torchbearer feels like something that got popular by being Not Diablo the same way PoE does.

So it's weird it's stretched to a 3rd in the series in the first place.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Like, out of all of the WoD gamelines, Werewolf was the one that specifically had a bit of a nazi problem, too.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think ARPGs are definitely an underexploited niche if you have solid gameplay with neat class design and some fun gear hooks.

It kinda sounds like they missed the mark, unfortunately.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Id kill for a proper Sid Meier's Pirates sequel

The og is still lit as hell tho

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Like, out of all of the WoD gamelines, Werewolf was the one that specifically had a bit of a nazi problem, too.

TBH very proud of vampires for being too fucking gay for them to colonize.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Torchbearer feels like something that got popular by being Not Diablo the same way PoE does.

So it's weird it's stretched to a 3rd in the series in the first place.

Torchlight 1 & 2 were genuinely fun ARPG games with neat classes, and I liked how you could learn some spells from scrolls in addition to your class skills. Plus having a permanent pet was rad as fuck.

PoE is Not Diablo too, but I never figured that's why it's popular. I figured it was the huge and cool passive skill tree, combined with the overwhelmingly large number of useable skills. I, myself, just really enjoyed the world and story which surprised me since it's a f2p game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I mean, PoE is explicitly popular because it resembled Diablo 2 dourness and esoterica at a time when gamers were mad Diablo 3 had a colour pallete and thought being able to vary up your farming build was criminal.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I mean, PoE is explicitly popular because it resembled Diablo 2 dourness and esoterica at a time when gamers were mad Diablo 3 had a colour pallete and thought being able to vary up your farming build was criminal.

Didn't PoE literally start life as a D2 mod?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Id kill for a proper Sid Meier's Pirates sequel

The og is still lit as hell tho

Give me an updated "Railroads!" while you're at it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

I hadn't heard that, but it's weird if it's true because that game is cringingly 90s liberal. The entire theme of it is anti-corporate eco-warrior stuff.

• Options
    TBH very proud of vampires for being too fucking gay for them to colonize.
    Make Werewolf gayer, you say. *takes notes*

Also, I'm currently playing that Heart of the Forest game and one of the Totally Not Going To Turn Out To Be Werewolves characters specifically had a LGBTQIA+ badge on their jacket, along with plenty of others. You can bet your ass I picked "I like her style." as my reaction.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    PoE is popular because it has a metric shit ton of possible skills allowing you to do everything from "hit it with a sword" to "infinitely loop a necklace that self-damages you with skills that activate when you take damage in such a way that the game literally force-disconnects you due to casting too many spells at once" to "summon 45 skeleton mages, soldiers, and archers and just walk through levels" to "throwing out remote mines that cast giant waves of ice spikes" to "spin around with a hammer while also triggering a built-in skill that throws out bouncing magma orbs, turning you into a spinning mortar launcher tornado"
    It's got tons and tons of variety, but also the depth that allows you to make the really stupid stuff you want usable, for example anything @surrealitycheck ever mentions in the PoE thread

also it's free and gets a big chunk of new temporary and permanent content every 3 months also for free

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I hadn't heard that, but it's weird if it's true because that game is cringingly 90s liberal. The entire theme of it is anti-corporate eco-warrior stuff.

it's the association with norse paganism/nationalism that pulls in the brownshirts

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Isn't there basically a tribe of feminist werewolves?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

extremely angry ones at that

theres also first nation ones (it was not done elegantly, but they definitely tried to be late 80s early 90s liberal respectful)

• Options

3zo9egbgcccy.gif

who's askin? you got a problem with that?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's the association with norse paganism/nationalism that pulls in the brownshirts

the Get of Fenris was basically filled with (natch) dogwhistles.
    xxq7ke0tndhj.png

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.