As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I don't see why she has to be working for anybody. She's a politician, she gains power for herself and maintains it by never actually solving the problem she's in charge of. She's just guarding the current state so she can make her living rallying against it.

I think I have expressed my displeasure already with the terrible both sides are bad takes. But like... why then does she honestly argue and work for to progress her agenda?

This season? There was no congressional oversight or public outcry for it. She had to create the power base. Next season, we will probably see her picking and choosing which cases see the light of day and trading favors for others.

I'm also not generally a fan of both sides arguments, especially not in an election year. I think it was bad casting to evoke an AOC vibe from her.

So let me get this straight...

In order for to protect vought you must create the power base, congressional oversight, and public support to destroy it?

That seems ... counterproductive.

I specifically said I don't think she's working for anyone, let alone Vought. I think she wants to be President and plans to run on a Strong on Supes platform. So she astroturfs a movement and keeps it relevant by not solving the problem.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Controlled opposition is really useful.
    Not that I think Newman will be content to just remain as a honeypot for people who could inconvenience Vought given that....

Comics:
    .. apparently, she's the show's version of Vic the Veep.
    So I wouldn't be surprised if S3 does a little bit of a timeskip forward to a point where she's on, or looks certain to be on, the presidential ticket and Hughie finally pulls his head from his ass long enough to put two and two together, leading to the band having to have a reunion.

I think a timeskip is going to be the only way to make anything make sense. MM isn't going to just drop getting his family back to go spaking super heroes. Huey isn't going to be able to pull any kind of information up front, VN isn't going to be so obvious for him to suspect anything. He helped 'bring down vought', shes not going to let him get near anything important that she doesnt want him to see. Either the boys find out shes suspect and reel him in to snoop, or he finds something to bring to them(I think is unlikely).

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah if anything Hughie will be the last member to rejoin the squad. He'll probably be all "no I'm done with you assholes I have a respectable job."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's like saying he has 2 days until retirement.

So he's totally going to find something and get the band back together.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Finished season 2 last night. Holy shit, I was not expecting AOC to be the head-popper. I had convinced myself that it was someone in the church that was doing the head popping.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Finished season 2 last night. Holy shit, I was not expecting AOC to be the head-popper. I had convinced myself that it was someone in the church that was doing the head popping.

That's where the writing was leading, like you can't be mad you believed what the show was telling you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

That's where the writing was leading, like you can't be mad you believed what the show was telling you.

Oh I'm not mad. I thought it was a great twist. You might even say my mind was blown.

• Options

Oh I'm not mad. I thought it was a great twist. You might even say my mind was blown.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

scanners.gif

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    It was a good twist in that I didnt see it coming as they telegraphed super hard that it was psych ward test subject lady that was doing it splosions, but it was a bad twist in that they set up someone to be the person who was doing it, basically showed you them doing it, then dropped them and didnt look back and now its oh look its actually not-AOC.

Psych ward lady could have been an interesting direction, she's rogue and basically seeking her revenge but didnt seem to want to actually harm people who werent going to/hadnt harmed her. I was curious to see how an actual third party would impact things. Instead we get The Boys, Vought, and Probably Vought.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I don't see why she has to be working for anybody. She's a politician, she gains power for herself and maintains it by never actually solving the problem she's in charge of. She's just guarding the current state so she can make her living rallying against it.

I think her motives are probably righteous, at least to her. If the hearing goes forward Vought gets to fight it all out in court where they can survive instead of being torn limb from limb.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Anyone hit something weird on episode 4 where suddenly it's almost twice as loud?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    It was a good twist in that I didnt see it coming as they telegraphed super hard that it was psych ward test subject lady that was doing it splosions, but it was a bad twist in that they set up someone to be the person who was doing it, basically showed you them doing it, then dropped them and didnt look back and now its oh look its actually not-AOC.

That person has general telekinesis, as evidenced by making everyone explode, destroying doors, flinging people and such forth. She's not inherently all about just exploding peoples heads specifically. The powers are close to one another, but can achieve the same result with different applications.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm still kind of annoyed that Starlight didn't have an Iron Man vs Thor's lightning moment. It seemed so obviously telegraphed. Like, it didn't have to be some kind of trump card, maybe it just meant that Stormfront would have to get in close to punch Starlight instead of shocking her.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Starr and Urban were having some kind of acting contest I feel like. Yeah, mostly not very subtle and understated work but really strong expression and voice performances when it counts.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You dont hire Karl Urban for subtle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

You hire him so your entire family doesn’t die

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    So Kripke has been giving some interviews lately and it turns out the "all girl" battle at the end of season 2 was a direct parody/criticism of the Avengers Endgame "Female Power" moment. This was already lampooned in the movie that Vought were making and the ridiculous "Girls get it done" thing, but it is nice to have confirmation that is what he was thinking at the end there.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Everytime he's subtle, noone remembers him. He's very 'people forget he was in LotR, riddick, and RED' or 500% as a tertiary buddy or main protagonist. I'd bet he works his way into one of the upcoming matrix films and fast and furious as a moon buggy mechanic or Kurt Russells space force analog. He's been in like every major 'nerd' franchise of the last 20 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Everytime he's subtle, noone remembers him. He's very 'people forget he was in LotR, riddick, and RED' or 500% as a tertiary buddy or main protagonist. I'd bet he works his way into one of the upcoming matrix films and fast and furious as a moon buggy mechanic or Kurt Russells space force analog. He's been in like every major 'nerd' franchise of the last 20 years.

Hes uh not a very good actor who found a role here that he fit perfectly.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

You take that back. Karl has more talent in the lower half of his face than most of the rest of the cast of The Boys has in their entire body.

• Options

You take that back. Karl has more talent in the lower half of his face than most of the rest of the cast of The Boys has in their entire body.

i will not be Censored

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

i will not be Censored

Yeah, well... I respectfully disagree with your position.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I mean, I think Karl is a very good actor, but I also think you're selling the rest of the cast a bit short.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

I mean, I think Karl is a very good actor, but I also think you're selling the rest of the cast a bit short.

Let's be real here. Most of that main cast would not make it into the starring role in a big Hollywood movie production. Jack Quaid is a bit player at best. Sure he does the adorkable spaz well enough but his acting talents are way too one note. Antony Starr is pretty good for a TV actor but lacking the raw tallet a REAL film star needs. Erin Moriarty appears to have the chops for film but I'm beginning to question if we'll ever see her in a starring role. She's at least gotten in the top 10 billing spots in a few films. Karen Fukuhara started her career with the wet fart that was the role of Katana in SS and has been stuck doing TV ever since. Chace Crawford is... fine I guess. He's been in a few movies but none of them were very good. I could see Tomer Kapon in a Luc Besson movie. IDK, he's definitely a bit player. Jessie Usher is a supporting actor at best. He's no Anthony Mackie. He had some Big Willie shoes to fill in ID: Resurgence and failed spectacularly. Dominique McElligott is a fine supporting actress but seems to have a problem with getting typecast. Aya Cash is fine I guess. Her line delivery leaves something to be desired.

Of all of these people only Karl Urban has had top billing in a major hollywood production. He's got the acting chops and raw talent to carry an entire production on his shoulders. He can do funny, serious, sad, tough, rough, and can even handle light stunt work. He's the sort of actor who's capable of turning it off and on in an instant. He was classically stage trained and it shows.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    u17hk1vatlct.jpg

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Let's be real here. Most of that main cast would not make it into the starring role in a big Hollywood movie production. Jack Quaid is a bit player at best. Sure he does the adorkable spaz well enough but his acting talents are way too one note. Antony Starr is pretty good for a TV actor but lacking the raw tallet a REAL film star needs. Erin Moriarty appears to have the chops for film but I'm beginning to question if we'll ever see her in a starring role. She's at least gotten in the top 10 billing spots in a few films. Karen Fukuhara started her career with the wet fart that was the role of Katana in SS and has been stuck doing TV ever since. Chace Crawford is... fine I guess. He's been in a few movies but none of them were very good. I could see Tomer Kapon in a Luc Besson movie. IDK, he's definitely a bit player. Jessie Usher is a supporting actor at best. He's no Anthony Mackie. He had some Big Willie shoes to fill in ID: Resurgence and failed spectacularly. Dominique McElligott is a fine supporting actress but seems to have a problem with getting typecast. Aya Cash is fine I guess. Her line delivery leaves something to be desired.

Of all of these people only Karl Urban has had top billing in a major hollywood production. He's got the acting chops and raw talent to carry an entire production on his shoulders. He can do funny, serious, sad, tough, rough, and can even handle light stunt work. He's the sort of actor who's capable of turning it off and on in an instant. He was classically stage trained and it shows.

Amusingly I've heard countless classically trained stage actors more or less state that it did virtually nothing to help them with acting in TV/film :lol:

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Apologies if this has already been posted:
    "As for 'girls get it done,' a lot of that came from our executive producer, Rebecca Sonneshine, who came in after the weekend Endgame opened. She was just furious. I saw it, too, and I was like, 'That was the dumbest, most contrived—' And she’s like, 'Don’t get me started.' She found it condescending and I agreed. So that just created for us a target, a satirical target. When there’s something really ridiculous in either superhero or celebrity or Hollywood culture, we’ll immediately go after it. It’s an easy shot."

WHAT THIS MEANS

The scene in Avengers: Endgame that featured nearly every living female hero in the MCU going against Thanos and his alien army has had some of the most mixed reactions of any scene in the MCU. While it did give a major highlight of female empowerment and some awesome action for just a minute, many fans have griped about how forced the scene felt after Captain Marvel flew in to help save the day and was joined by her female comrades.

While The Boys is known to take plenty of shots at some of the most noticeable shortcomings of the superhero genre, this was one of the most direct of those shots, as well as possibly the most high-profile target the show has gone after. Kripke and Sonneshine didn't hold anything back about how forced and condescending they felt this scene was, and they are clearly part of the viewing audience that had some major problems with how the A-Force tease played out in the final battle of Avengers: Endgame.

Source

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Yeah that's the interview I had seen earlier I was talking about. There had been speculation, can't remember if it was here, if that was a deliberate shot at the MCU or not and it sure was!

• Options
    edited October 2020

Amusingly I've heard countless classically trained stage actors more or less state that it did virtually nothing to help them with acting in TV/film :lol:

I'm no actor but I did some community theater when I was younger. I can unequivocally state that it helps to have the fundamentals of acting before you move onto more complex roles. A few of the people I did theater with showed up in stuff later and they absolutely had a leg up on everyone else thanks to stage acting. The sort of acting you do is pretty different but you still have to understand how to play a character and move the performance along.

One of the marks of a great actor is being able to move into and out of characters at will. Another is being able to convey basically any emotion with just a look. I think he nails both of those. That's something you learn to do when you go from backstage to onstage. There's no director giving you an hour to get into character if you flub a line. You have to instantly assume the character and give a perfect performance every time. There are no cuts or reshoots on stage.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    The problem with the satire they went for is it didn't really feel like satire when I watched it? Like it was literally 3 of their female heroes beating up the female villain with a call back to the tag line from the fake movie earlier.

Its kind of like all the butt shots on Starlight. Like it could be making a statement on how female characters are constantly shown in like jerk off shots, but its doing that by just literally showing us starlight's ass.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The problem with the satire they went for is it didn't really feel like satire when I watched it? Like it was literally 3 of their female heroes beating up the female villain with a call back to the tag line from the fake movie earlier.

Its kind of like all the butt shots on Starlight. Like it could be making a statement on how female characters are constantly shown in like jerk off shots, but its doing that by just literally showing us starlight's ass.

I think that's kind of the point. Draw attention to it, satirize it, give something for people to talk about after. And the dudes are constantly shown in "jerkoff shots" too. Stupid sexy homelander with his stupid sexy muscle shirt. Or stupid sexy Deep and his stupid sexy v neck. Every one of the supers is super sexualized. The whole point of the porn episode was the draw attention to that.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I think this is overlooking that Karl Urban has been a known quantity FAR LONGER than any of his costars in The Boys.

We're talking about a guy who has been in large-scale projects for twenty years, and a lot of that wasn't as the lead. He's been a supporting actor for the vast majority of his career, with a few projects checkered in where he got to be the lead (which largely didn't do well financially).

So for the claim that nobody else from The Boys will jump up to leading a major Hollywood production? I absolutely believe folks want Antony Starr to be the lead of their project after what he's been doing in this show.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I wonder if in season 3 if they will pull Butcher's serial killer moment from the comics...

Comic Spoilers
    Payback spring a trap on the boys and begin to chase them through a hospital. In the process one of them hurts Terror and Butcher tells the rest of the boys to go. Hughie is like no...Payback will kill him. But MM knows that look in Butcher's eyes and warns him that they will be safer away from Butcher. Butcher then proceeds to fight dirty and butchers all of Payback without remorse. Touch Terror...you die slow. Butcher just stops talking and goes full terminator for several pages.

Loved season 2, but the hardest part is knowing I got to wait another year for the next season.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woo. So, me and Bulgarian girl just wrapped up Season 2 (after Season 1, I'm late to this party) and damn, this show manages to oscaillate between black comedy and feeling super heavy in an amazing way.

But damn - definitely the only show where after an episode I was like "I'm good, I need to digest that for a while".

Regarding the cliffhanger with not-AOC: hard to call. @Aegeri more or less nails it I think - she's totally an agent of Vaught, because we've seen Vaught having no problem running an anti-Vaught supe (Stormfront) against themselves to continue their core business. The thing I'm slightly more interested in is whether Vaught have some kind of anti-super countermeasure - the one thing I don't understand at all is how Edgar manages to not be terrified of Homelander. He's just..way too cool around him, whereas everyone else treats him looking at you as like having a loaded gun with the safety off in the hands of a toddler that it is.

Of course, the head exploding could be that countermeasure I suppose - the one big supekill was done the same way - they blew Translucent up from the inside.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i want edgar to have like professor X level powers to explain why he so cool

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Woo. So, me and Bulgarian girl just wrapped up Season 2 (after Season 1, I'm late to this party) and damn, this show manages to oscaillate between black comedy and feeling super heavy in an amazing way.

But damn - definitely the only show where after an episode I was like "I'm good, I need to digest that for a while".

Regarding the cliffhanger with not-AOC: hard to call. @Aegeri more or less nails it I think - she's totally an agent of Vaught, because we've seen Vaught having no problem running an anti-Vaught supe (Stormfront) against themselves to continue their core business. The thing I'm slightly more interested in is whether Vaught have some kind of anti-super countermeasure - the one thing I don't understand at all is how Edgar manages to not be terrified of Homelander. He's just..way too cool around him, whereas everyone else treats him looking at you as like having a loaded gun with the safety off in the hands of a toddler that it is.

Of course, the head exploding could be that countermeasure I suppose - the one big supekill was done the same way - they blew Translucent up from the inside.

Whats the point in him being scared? He lays everything out pretty clearly tgat hes doing his job. If homelander wants him dead there's nothing he can do about it, so why spend your time afraid of it? Look at Ashley, she's completely unfit for her job because she's terrified of being killed by any of the people she's managing.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Whats the point in him being scared? He lays everything out pretty clearly tgat hes doing his job. If homelander wants him dead there's nothing he can do about it, so why spend your time afraid of it? Look at Ashley, she's completely unfit for her job because she's terrified of being killed by any of the people she's managing.

Ashley is actively, correctly terrified of being killed by Homelander, who specifically threatened to do that to her. The thing about Homelander is that in aggregate you are mostly not in danger from him. But specifically, individually, you are definitely directly in danger from him. It didn't save Sitwell, very little seems like it would save anyone else.

Edgar might be playing the long game and just being a shrewd businessman, or simply playing the only correct role he can in all this...but it still doesn't seem like an A-level business asshole like him would really, truly, be comfortable having something out there which might actually be able to affect him like Homelander and he doesn't seem naive enough to believe he's actually untouchable. He absolutely would have at least a half-dozen secret projects running which ensured Vaught had a countermeasure.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options

Ashley is actively, correctly terrified of being killed by Homelander, who specifically threatened to do that to her. The thing about Homelander is that in aggregate you are mostly not in danger from him. But specifically, individually, you are definitely directly in danger from him. It didn't save Sitwell, very little seems like it would save anyone else.

Edgar might be playing the long game and just being a shrewd businessman, or simply playing the only correct role he can in all this...but it still doesn't seem like an A-level business asshole like him would really, truly, be comfortable having something out there which might actually be able to affect him like Homelander and he doesn't seem naive enough to believe he's actually untouchable. He absolutely would have at least a half-dozen secret projects running which ensured Vaught had a countermeasure.

Edgar, like Butcher, knows that power isn't given. You take it. Edgar can push Homelander around because he has asserted his power over Homelander. The recurring theme I love the most about The Boys is one of power and control. Butcher and his Boys are just normal people. Edgar and Butcher realizes that, ultimately anyone can be rendered powerless if they lose control of a situation. You could bench press entire planets and run at the speed of light but in a situation someone else is in control of, none of that matters. Butcher is probably the most powerful character in the series, not because of how fast or strong he is but because he takes control of any situation he's in. I thought it was really interesting to see Butcher lose control around his parents simply because he accepts that they are the ones with power.

The moment Homelander learns about this (not that he ever will given his natural state of arrested development) he will be the most powerful being in the universe. He's come close a few times to taking control of his situation but fails to every time. Homelander is a weak man because he would sooner give all the power to a small child than take control of his life.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

The whole thing was still better put together than the Avengers one. That's probably why it didn't seem like satire.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me