As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Id kill for a proper Sid Meier's Pirates sequel

The og is still lit as hell tho

Honestly, if they just fixed all the broken systems that still pretended they were in the game, they'd have enough new content to call it a sequel.

But yeah, no combinations of systems have managed to scratch that itch half as well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    what if you assassinated margaret thatcher by dropping a fridge on her

fuck that would rule

You know what would rule even harder though

Is if you dropped a giant iron on top of her

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I see you are a fan of Morgan van Humbeck's "Fridged" bit on LoadingReadyRun!

(For newcomers, go to 3:40 (It's a compilation of unrelated sketches.) )
    https://youtu.be/v-38n_oeVXI?t=224

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Like, out of all of the WoD gamelines, Werewolf was the one that specifically had a bit of a nazi problem, too.

I hadn't heard that, but it's weird if it's true because that game is cringingly 90s liberal. The entire theme of it is anti-corporate eco-warrior stuff.

As inspirations go, they could do worse.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

fuck that would rule

You know what would rule even harder though

Is if you dropped a giant iron on top of her

But what about

a giant piano

and then she pops her head out of the top and her teeth are piano keys

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Honestly, if they just fixed all the broken systems that still pretended they were in the game, they'd have enough new content to call it a sequel.

But yeah, no combinations of systems have managed to scratch that itch half as well.

I Heat Signature was about being a space pirate and not doing awesome jobs it probs fit the bill

icGJy2C.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    SE++ BATTLETECH
    Jamestown system

Now possessed of a shiny new Marauder, we quickly equip it with an array of shiny wepons what go "Boom". It is now capable of raining death and destruction from almost anywhere, dropping hot fire from range or sweeping forward and carving through mechs like an angry stompy carnosaur of legend.

Once you get someone's Tactics skill up to 9, I highly recommend fitting out Smof with 4 large lasers/medium pulse lasers. You end up with a monster sniper with four 35% head shots, any two of which will decapitate an assault mech. Basically turns every fight into a shopping trip.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a slightly used Bull Shark? Weapons never fired, new upholstery strongly recommended.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I've been doing that with an annihilator I bought on the black market. 4x AC10s with a +20% damage chassis? Don't mind if I do!

Can someone suggest how I find some of these alliance missions and explore flashpoints and stuff? I'm about to finish my second campaign game since returning to the game after a year and change, I have all 3 DLC, and I'd really like to explore the new stuff in a career mode. I'm allied with the pirates in the campaign game since I figured that wasn't a good thing to do in a career mode game.

sig.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I've been doing that with an annihilator I bought on the black market. 4x AC10s with a +20% damage chassis? Don't mind if I do!

Can someone suggest how I find some of these alliance missions and explore flashpoints and stuff? I'm about to finish my second campaign game since returning to the game after a year and change, I have all 3 DLC, and I'd really like to explore the new stuff in a career mode. I'm allied with the pirates in the campaign game since I figured that wasn't a good thing to do in a career mode game.

High rep with pirates is great in career for cheap black market goodies. (There's an argument to be made that having the pirates hate you is actually hard mode because they jack up the prices by 1000% in the black market. Super hard mode is passing on black market goodies altogether. Doable, certainly, but much harder and fewer toys!)

For flashpoints, just fire up a career and start taking contracts. Flashpoints pop up after a few missions/planets. You'll get a text box about it, and then you'll see them on the nav map.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    At least in my experience with a tiny bit of Vampire and a BUNCH of Mage, actual straight up combat in WoD is a fail state. You do NOT want actual fights going on where people are hitting back because then you are fairly likely to end up fucking dead

So yeah uh, a brawler seems out of place.

EDIT: whooops this was in response to a discussion that was like two pages ago

MechMantis on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    werewolf is a game where you're constantly encouraged to completely fuck things up and get benefits the longer you spend fucking things up

to the point where bad things happen when you spend too long *not* fucking things up and there's a reason my forces mage was considering a go-to anti-werewolf spell that levitated them a few feet above the ground helplessly until they tuckered themselves out.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    werewolf is a game where you're constantly encouraged to completely fuck things up and get benefits the longer you spend fucking things up

to the point where bad things happen when you spend too long *not* fucking things up and there's a reason my forces mage was considering a go-to anti-werewolf spell that levitated them a few feet above the ground helplessly until they tuckered themselves out.

Oh yeah no I'm not disputing that.

I'm just saying that if whoever you're fucking up gets an attack off on you something went wrong

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

The best part of this statement is I couldn't work out if you were talking aout Pirates or Civ because I could honestly feel like you could apply it to either.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Also for the record I approve of that variety of Mage shenanigans.

Mage is so good guys

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I was doing enough reading for work that I took a break from Night Road, but now I'm back to it.

"You don't have any trouble spotting the woman who's looking for you because she's the size of two big men. You can tell because she's got two big men behind her." FUCK that's a good line.

It's so wild/cool that a text adventure is gonna just SAIL into my top five for the year. This game's so fuckin' good.

Poorochondriac on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

my go-to anti-werewolf spell was to run away screaming cause werewolves are fucking terrifying, especially to baby mages

or

I would use my go-to combat spell of entropy-time to rapidly age whatever I touched, or destroy the valves of their heart

Matter 3 is fun when dealing with werewolves.

"The air around you? The air you're breathing? That's silver now. Have fun."

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Was Mage the system where if you used too much magic the world itself would notice what you're doing and essentially delete you from it?

Yes. Reality does not often like being told that the rules shouldn't apply, and Paradox is the punch to the guts that reminds you that Reality hates you and everything you do.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Mage is fun because most of it is seeing just how many of those gut punches you can take to eek the most power out of what you're doing.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    that's honestly why I didn't like playing Mage much, despite playing like 2 full campaigns
    I hated being punished every single time for doing the thing the game is designed around. If I'm playing a wizard I want to be able to cast spells

Although it did lead to a really cool disaster in one of them, where someone fucked up doing stuff with spirits in a junkyard and unleashed this giant fire fox spirit, we thought we had it taken care of until it showed up again and completely derailed the finale session as it was tearing up the city

huh, our current campaign has only had a couple instances of paradox really coming up, and that's because we've got a couple people who really like pushing things all the time

I've been getting by with constantly flipping gravity and punching people incredibly hard and I can't remember the last time i had to consider paradox

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I never played mage, but my understanding is that it wasn't using a bunch of magic that got the universe to pulverize you into a smear, but it was more getting caught using all that magic.

Like you could do something crazy, but subtle so that people who might notice it would just think it was just a weird, but natural thing going on. But if you start doing shit like throwing fire from your hands or something else that a person would look at and go "yo that's some wizard shit right there" then that is when things got dicey and would backfire on you.

That take on magic always seemed real neat and felt like it played nicely into the trope of mages living in secret and keeping their powers hidden from the general public.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    At the same time though, a good Storyteller is gonna try to goad you into doing some crazy wizard shit, because you're crazy wizards and you can do crazy wizard shit and here's some problems you can totally solve with some crazy wizard shit

And if that crazy wizard shit backfires, obviously, the answer is to do more crazy wizard shit.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean that makes sense.

You lose your crazy wizard bet the only sensible option is to double down on the next crazy wizard bet.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There was 3 types of magical effects in Mage.

Coincidental: These are magical effects that do not appear as magic. Basically anything someone could witness and have zero idea you just cheated the laws of physics or whatever. Because the universe can't "prove" the you didn't already have that knife under your cloak when you summoned it, it doesn't stretch belief and you get to sneak on by.

Vulgar, without witnesses: Anything that's a blatantly obvious magical effect, but was not witnessed by non-supernatural person. Nobody can fly unaided, but there was noone around so the universe only slaps you down so much as there wasn't anyone around to subconsciously enforce the reality consensus.

Vulgar, with witnesses: Same as above only witnessed by a non-supernatural person, which is basically like running a red light in front of a cop. The more people around, the worse the slapdown is going to be, even you can even get the effect to work in the first place.

Undead Scottsman on
  • CronoColaCronoCola Registered User regular
    Played the demo of Werewolf Heart of the Forest and I can absolutely get into this being a genre and/or vehicle for more TTRPG games.

It felt like playing the main reason I play any RPG, skipping the filler combat stuff that is usually playing second fiddle anyways. Having to manage willpower/rage is a frustratingly wonderful mechanic for explaining why you're not just constantly doing the best stuff all the time too.

I've always wanted to get into the WoD setting but somehow haven't found myself in a game, not even Bloodlines D:

I'm going to hold out till payday to get more games, but I did just learn Ikenfell is on the Xbox Game Pass which is extremely good news for me. Been hearing lots of great things about it and now I don't even need to justify grabbing it! It's just on my computer now!

H0b0man wrote: »
    I never played mage, but my understanding is that it wasn't using a bunch of magic that got the universe to pulverize you into a smear, but it was more getting caught using all that magic.

Like you could do something crazy, but subtle so that people who might notice it would just think it was just a weird, but natural thing going on. But if you start doing shit like throwing fire from your hands or something else that a person would look at and go "yo that's some wizard shit right there" then that is when things got dicey and would backfire on you.

That take on magic always seemed real neat and felt like it played nicely into the trope of mages living in secret and keeping their powers hidden from the general public.

it's a bit of a combination of the two

honestly, one of the things i really like about Mage is that is makes magic feel kinda fucked up. You have so much power, and you've gotta figure out how to achieve your goals without just murdering people

most of the fun paradox stuff we've had is one of our mages trying to do subtle mind control, but instead does Too Much Mind Control which causes Problems

There was 3 types of magical effects in Mage.

Coincidental: These are magical effects that do not appear as magic. Basically anything someone could witness and have zero idea you just cheated the laws of physics or whatever. Because the universe can't "prove" the you didn't already have that knife under your cloak when you summoned it, it doesn't stretch belief and you get to sneak on by.

Vulgar, without witnesses: Anything that's a blatantly obvious magical effect, but was not witnessed by non-supernatural person. Nobody can fly unaided, but there was noone around so the universe only slaps you down so much as there wasn't anyone around to subconsciously enforce the reality consensus.

Vulgar, with witnesses: Same as above only witnessed by a non-supernatural person, which is basically like running a red light in front of a cop. The more people around, the worse the slapdown is going to be, even you can even get the effect to work in the first place.

A great deal of time in any Mage session is spent bullshitting about how it's actually a coincidence that your enemy's head fell off

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

it's a bit of a combination of the two

honestly, one of the things i really like about Mage is that is makes magic feel kinda fucked up. You have so much power, and you've gotta figure out how to achieve your goals without just murdering people

most of the fun paradox stuff we've had is one of our mages trying to do subtle mind control, but instead does Too Much Mind Control which causes Problems

Ah, Brain Scramblies.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Finished my first Night Road playthrough. Very, very satisfying. How things ended up for me:
    Any time any vampire asked me to do anything, I asked what they'd pay me. I was always very upfront with people that I did not care about their philosophies or grand plans, that I just wanted to make it to next week with enough cash in my pocket to stay safe.

Managed to stay on the good sides of both Lettow and Julian. When forced to choose who I'd side with, I told them both to make their best offers. Julian promised my a cool new car, Lettow offered me nothing. I took the car, told Julian I'd help him.

And then me and Raul fucked off to Denver with my 100 grand in various assets, so I could learn how to use my new extra-magic blood on my own and not be beholden to anybody's fuckin' schemes.

It was the exact tone/vibe I wanted in the ending for this character.

i also just finished Night Road

i tried to play a mercenary character who's just trying to keep their head down and get paid, but i'm really bad at not helping so i just ended up doing what i could to help people

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    CronoCola wrote: »
    Played the demo of Werewolf Heart of the Forest and I can absolutely get into this being a genre and/or vehicle for more TTRPG games.

It felt like playing the main reason I play any RPG, skipping the filler combat stuff that is usually playing second fiddle anyways. Having to manage willpower/rage is a frustratingly wonderful mechanic for explaining why you're not just constantly doing the best stuff all the time too.
    What I also like about it is that you're not just picking "what would your character do?" in an attempt to minmax your chosen result, much of the time you're actually picking how the story evolves outside of them in a way that could not actually be influenced by your character.
    For example, I met up with the friend that's mentioned in the demo and one of the options was that Anya, the NPC that's with you, likes him. And if you pick that then in subsequent scenes they start getting to know each other and begin growing a relationship. This was not something my character chose, it's something that me, the player, chose.

I am so down for games that try to match how actual TTRPGs (can) work where you're crafting a story with the GM.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Continuing in Shadowrun Dragonfall and I stumbled into the MKVI mission by mistake. It took about 5 tries but I eventually got through by targeting the rigger in each of the encounters first and then letting the minigun's AOE take care of the rest. I got really lucky in how all the Knights started clumping together so I could grenade, minigun and electro-shock them all at once

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Continuing in Shadowrun Dragonfall and I stumbled into the MKVI mission by mistake. It took about 5 tries but I eventually got through by targeting the rigger in each of the encounters first and then letting the minigun's AOE take care of the rest. I got really lucky in how all the Knights started clumping together so I could grenade, minigun and electro-shock them all at once

The best way I found to deal with that mission is to set-up your party at a fall back point and send someone forward to trigger the encounter. Then they run back to your party and let the enemy abandon their cover coming to you. Bonus points if you set up shaman walls to drain their AP and leave them out in the open.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about Mage: Awakening or Ascension? Same basic ideas, but wildly different lore. (And factions)

And good rule of thumb in WoD: no matter how good your abilities are, what the antagonists can do is scarier. Especially Banishers.

wVEsyIc.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    botw

I have found 100 korok seeds

there are still several areas that are unexplored

how many of these are there?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    botw

I have found 100 korok seeds

there are still several areas that are unexplored

how many of these are there?

There's 900. Going for 100% is not for sane individuals.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The fact that they are literal poop sort of sums up their worth.

This discussion has been closed.