As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    what does the pro get you?

the pro series has a third camera to achieve depth and i think the hugest one actually has a telephoto lens

Both Pros have the 3rd telephoto lens, but the Max can zoom in a bit more (2x vs 2.5). The Max also has some neat thing called "Sensor-shift optical image stabilization" where it moves the sensor itself around instead of the lens to stabilize photos.

Also Pros are stainless steel instead of aluminum, have a lidar sensor to help the camera's maintain focus, and can have higher storage capacities.

Looking at the comparison page, the Pro can also have a higher max brightness (800 vs 625 nits) than the base 12? Might be slight better OLED screen then?

Basically, the Pro for people who want even more/better cameras, or who want the largest iphone possible in the max (or who really like stainless steel). With both phones having OLED this time, there's really not much daylight between the 12 and the 12 pro besides that 3rd telephoto lens. I wouldn't be surprised if next year is just the Pro Max, with no smaller pro at all.

Also the 12 mini seems to have traded battery life for being as fully featured as its bigger siblings. Using video playback as a comparison, the 11 Pro is 18 hours, the 12 regular is 17hrs, the 12 mini is 15hrs

MagSafe stuff looks neat.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Yea but what do you need to be faster? 4G loads videos fast enough and streams fine, what else are you downloading on your phone over the cell network that you need to be even faster?

I mean, it definitely does not for like group video chat and calling, stuff drops all the time. I also frequently have videos drop of chug

It's also not just speed, but presumably overall capacity. That was one of the big jumps from 3g to 4g was there being a lot more bandwidth to go around, so network congestion wasn't as much of a problem

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Also, doesn't Japan and China have like, huge 5g wireless coverage? Somehow they aren't suffering a weather predicting apocalypse

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I was recently reminded of how much I hate Apple. My mother made a video on her iPhone that I would like. So she sent it to my phone. Which is a Pixel. So of course it's crap on my phone. No big deal, I'll just email it to me. Nope, it's juuuust a little too big and won't send. Ok, let's try hooking it up to my PC and just DL it. Nope, PC can't recognize file type.(WTF windows 10) On top of the device deciding it'll turn itself off a bit through the process. Such a pain in my ass.

Next time, so long as your mother has an iCloud account, you should be able to email a downloadable link of the video to any email address. That said, iPhones are a huge pain in the ass to try and get files, photos, or videos off of compared to an Android phone. Some iPhones have photos saved in heic format which have to be converted to do anything with. Thankfully that's fairly rare.

If there's been one upside to everything that's going on is I can outright refuse to touch any customers phone. You want pictures off of it? Great, here's a written guide for how to order them from our website if there are more than 10. Less than 10 here's our email address which you can send them to. I will begrudgingly walk you through the process if need be but I absolutely will not touch your phone. Honestly though working with cell phones is a gigantic waste of time and resources for very little return.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah this year for apple seems like a fart. I've said that before, gotten the phone and liked it, but I'm not even tempted this time.

Cormac wrote: »
    I was recently reminded of how much I hate Apple. My mother made a video on her iPhone that I would like. So she sent it to my phone. Which is a Pixel. So of course it's crap on my phone. No big deal, I'll just email it to me. Nope, it's juuuust a little too big and won't send. Ok, let's try hooking it up to my PC and just DL it. Nope, PC can't recognize file type.(WTF windows 10) On top of the device deciding it'll turn itself off a bit through the process. Such a pain in my ass.

Next time, so long as your mother has an iCloud account, you should be able to email a downloadable link of the video to any email address. That said, iPhones are a huge pain in the ass to try and get files, photos, or videos off of compared to an Android phone. Some iPhones have photos saved in heic format which have to be converted to do anything with. Thankfully that's fairly rare.

If there's been one upside to everything that's going on is I can outright refuse to touch any customers phone. You want pictures off of it? Great, here's a written guide for how to order them from our website if there are more than 10. Less than 10 here's our email address which you can send them to. I will begrudgingly walk you through the process if need be but I absolutely will not touch your phone. Honestly though working with cell phones is a gigantic waste of time and resources for very little return.

The bolded is a setting you can turn off. Its under Settings -> Camera -> Formats -> Most Compatible. I think its set to "High Efficiency" by default, which uses the HEIF/HEVC format.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Also, doesn't Japan and China have like, huge 5g wireless coverage? Somehow they aren't suffering a weather predicting apocalypse

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-5g-wireless-inaccurate-weather.html

"Upcoming 5G wireless networks that will provide faster cell phone service may lead to inaccurate weather forecasts, according to a Rutgers study on a controversial issue that has created anxiety among meteorologists."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03609-x

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah this year for apple seems like a fart. I've said that before, gotten the phone and liked it, but I'm not even tempted this time.

Im excited, but im on a 3-4 year upgrade cycle.

I think people might need to recalibrate getting a new phone every year, i think we’re past that with cell phones. At least as they currently are.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think people might need to recalibrate getting a new phone every year, i think we’re past that with cell phones. At least as they currently are.

yeah i'm only up for it at this point because my phone is over three years old

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Does it have a headphone jack?

• KadithKadith Registered User regular

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-5g-wireless-inaccurate-weather.html

"Upcoming 5G wireless networks that will provide faster cell phone service may lead to inaccurate weather forecasts, according to a Rutgers study on a controversial issue that has created anxiety among meteorologists."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03609-x

also 5g won't do shit for network congestion because it's an edge technology and still requires the same backbone that big ISPs refuse to invest in, in fact it requires more of it due to the range limitations

zkHcp.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I might get an iPhone only because I haven't had one in ages (also I might be getting a new job and I want to celebrate that in some way that isn't just responsible smart stuff like "paying off more of my loans than usual" because I'm an idiot who likes having new things occasionally)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This would be my year for a new phone. Thinking the 12 Pro.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Does it have a headphone jack?

Seriously. I demand a headphone jack. I like having simple dumb headphones that just work.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I definitely want that magsafe charger for the phone and watch.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

The bolded is a setting you can turn off. Its under Settings -> Camera -> Formats -> Most Compatible. I think its set to "High Efficiency" by default, which uses the HEIF/HEVC format.

Yup, I'd make sure to do that when I used to still handle phones.

Another really annoying thing some iPhones would do, primarily when running low on space, was start saving all the pictures to iCloud and not on the phone. That becomes a real problem when the photo(s) the person needs printed are in the cloud and not on the phone. Getting photos out of iCloud to print is a hassle we don't have the time to deal with. We'd kindly ask them to order them through our website which doesn't need to the photos to physically be on the device.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    My phone flips my pictures on the selfie cam.

It's weird.

It also seems to have two depth settings on selfie, one for selfies one for multi person selfies (I think?), the first one is useless because it tries to auto crop your face but it cuts half of my head out every time.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I still have a Samsung Note 8. For me its not the camera, its the processor. So I really only need a phone every like 4-5 years.

the pro series has a third camera to achieve depth and i think the hugest one actually has a telephoto lens

Both Pros have the 3rd telephoto lens, but the Max can zoom in a bit more (2x vs 2.5). The Max also has some neat thing called "Sensor-shift optical image stabilization" where it moves the sensor itself around instead of the lens to stabilize photos.

Also Pros are stainless steel instead of aluminum, have a lidar sensor to help the camera's maintain focus, and can have higher storage capacities.

Looking at the comparison page, the Pro can also have a higher max brightness (800 vs 625 nits) than the base 12? Might be slight better OLED screen then?

Basically, the Pro for people who want even more/better cameras, or who want the largest iphone possible in the max (or who really like stainless steel). With both phones having OLED this time, there's really not much daylight between the 12 and the 12 pro besides that 3rd telephoto lens. I wouldn't be surprised if next year is just the Pro Max, with no smaller pro at all.

Also the 12 mini seems to have traded battery life for being as fully featured as its bigger siblings. Using video playback as a comparison, the 11 Pro is 18 hours, the 12 regular is 17hrs, the 12 mini is 15hrs

As far as I can tell both Pros have the image stabilization. I believe the only actual difference is the physical size.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the iphone 11 is such a great phone i just cant come up with any reason you'd ever want to upgrade so quickly from it

i'm running my 11 into the ground. its the first phone i've ever had with no flaws.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the iphone 11 is such a great phone i just cant come up with any reason you'd ever want to upgrade so quickly from it

i'm running my 11 into the ground. its the first phone i've ever had with no flaws.

The price cut's going into effect, I might always get that instead

Sweeney Tom on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

My "upgrade cycle" is based on how long it takes me to smash the screen on my phone...

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

My "upgrade cycle" is based on how long it takes me to smash the screen on my phone...

Haha. The couple of times I've cracked a screen If it still worked I kept it. I will say, with my iphone 5s, I dropped it case free on concrete and it just chipped the metal frame. I had to take a file to smooth it back down, but that fucker kept trucking. Thats the biggest thing that excites me about this new one, an easy to grip durable edge.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just upgraded my Apple watch from a 3 to a 6. It's neat. Going from 42mm to 44mm increases the screen space way more than you'd expect, and the always-on is a neat feature. I'll have to see how long it takes me to break the habit of exaggeratedly bringing my wrist up like a soap opera character telegraphing how late the other person is just to wake my watch up. All the apps feel a bit snappier, and having the compass on my wrist makes me feel even more like a space explorer than having it on my phone. It's blue, which is a friendlier color than black.

A+, would recommend if you need to buy your phone a new pet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

For me I usually kill the charge port first.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Oh that's one thing that I don't think anyone mentioned in the thread yet, Apple specifically covered their new glass-ceramic that they developed with Corning. Apparently it has "4x the drop performance" over the iPhone 11s glass, for whatever that's worth. Here's how Corning described it to The Verge:
    Corning wrote:
    Corning’s new material consists of nano ceramic crystals embedded in the glass matrix. The crystals embedded in the glass matrix are an order of magnitude smaller than the wavelength of light, and index matched to the glass. This makes the material highly transparent, unlike other glass ceramics. Additionally, the crystals form interlocked structures that result in high flaw resistance and provide a mechanism to deflect and arrest cracks. The glass matrix is strengthened by ion exchange to provide a high degree of retained strength after damage.

So maybe this time Apple will finally be able to break free from the cracked screen memes?

As far as I can tell both Pros have the image stabilization. I believe the only actual difference is the physical size.

Nope, the Pro Max has some fancy new thing over the smaller Pro, but its limited to video apparently:
    w9NXyY3.png?1

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm like a page and a half late to the coffee discussion but I just wanted to plug Aeropress instead of getting locked into a pod machine.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Hmmm! I'll have to look up how to do that. Thanks for the tip.

People calling new phones out because they don't change enough year over year confuse me.

Some portion of the population is always going to be looking for a new phone, even if everyone goes to a 3-4 year usage cycle on devices. Not everyone agreed on the same "good enough" stopping point.

Iphone 11 -> 12 isn't going to be exciting for everyone (or even most people), but to the person coming off a 6s/7 its great, and will presumably last them longer than a 11 would in terms of updates.

No one really needs to update every year anymore, but it doesn’t mean we are all on the same cycle.

also the 12 is apple finally getting back to sane phone pricing to some degree. The Xr and 11 both had compromises in terms of screens, even at the $700-800 price point (most flagship android phones were doing better than a barely above 720p LCD), but the 12 has the same high pixel density OLED as the pro models this time around while being smaller and lighter than the previous model.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I was going to ask how you did that so often, then I remembered a duck’s story about how you missed a train because you couldn’t work your mittens and this pretty much checks out.

(Is screen replacement not practical?)

Blake T on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    People calling new phones out because they don't change enough year over year confuse me.

Some portion of the population is always going to be looking for a new phone, even if everyone goes to a 3-4 year usage cycle on devices. Not everyone agreed on the same "good enough" stopping point.

Iphone 11 -> 12 isn't going to be exciting for everyone (or even most people), but to the person coming off a 6s/7 its great, and will presumably last them longer than a 11 would in terms of updates.

No one really needs to update every year anymore, but it doesn’t mean we are all on the same cycle.

also the 12 is apple finally getting back to sane phone pricing to some degree. The Xr and 11 both had compromises in terms of screens, even at the $700-800 price point (most flagship android phones were doing better than a barely above 720p LCD), but the 12 has the same high pixel density OLED as the pro models this time around while being smaller and lighter than the previous model.

Yeah we're basically reaching the point where smartphones are starting to be more like cars. It's not technically a requirement, but not really a true luxury item, you really kind if need it to able to participate in society, especially for the majority of job options.

2-5 yr upgrade cycles are fine. Wife and I have Moto z3s and that will be 2yrs in November and I'm not really impressed enough by any of the current Motorola phones to really want to change up, so we may just wait until after the new year.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I just kinda wish my Pixel 3XL hadn't been such a dud, it basically started disintegrating the minute the one-year RMA/warranty period ended six months ago

but my family went with Fi for the family plan and that's so much cheaper and more flexible than basically any plan that I could get on my own

I might go for a 3A or whatever the hell the next mid-tier phone available on Fi is, but I'm not going to be happy spending money after less than two years and I really wish Google Fi had an equivalent of a Galaxy Active. The Galaxy Active is 100% my kind of shit - big battery, shatterproof, good enough hardware. But then I'd be bankrupted by the plan itself. RIP

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Coffee Tech question

Wife is trying to decide between two machines, she really wants the auto milk frother. We're open to other units as well, she just seems partial to the brand.

De'Longhi Dinamica ECAM35075SI

or

DeLonghi Perfecta ESAM5600SL

Our current one is a refurb, that we've had for about 4 years now and no issues, so we have no hesitation from that perspective. Just not really sure the differences between the units.

Dixon on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I just kinda wish my Pixel 3XL hadn't been such a dud, it basically started disintegrating the minute the one-year RMA/warranty period ended six months ago

but my family went with Fi for the family plan and that's so much cheaper and more flexible than basically any plan that I could get on my own

I might go for a 3A or whatever the hell the next mid-tier phone available on Fi is, but I'm not going to be happy spending money after less than two years and I really wish Google Fi had an equivalent of a Galaxy Active. The Galaxy Active is 100% my kind of shit - big battery, shatterproof, good enough hardware. But then I'd be bankrupted by the plan itself. RIP

The 4A's been really nice for me for the last few months (non 5G version).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    My ssd should get here today

I should probably start juggling files around to prep but I am sleepy still.

Oh man I hope I have enough sata cables and power connectors.

Ok the new drive is here and installed

How do I install windows to it? It doesn't seem to give me the option to select the new disk?

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Might have to create a partition in the drive formated to the NSTF file type I think

icGJy2C.png
    ok I had to select custom installation but now it's going to ask me which windows install to log into every time I start my computer...

This is a huge pain in the but.

At least this SSD is fast.

This discussion has been closed.