As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

EddyEddy Gengar the BittersweetRegistered User regular
I got my first instant pot, and I'm now realizing how deceitful recipe cooking times are what with the pressurization and depressurization times, and you also have to go to the store, which means you have to have money, which you have to have a job for, which you need an education for, so really it will have taken your entire life to create a sausage and peppers dish.

Anyway do people prefer Instant Pot, Crock-Pot (for you slow cookers out there), or the Promethean Flame Eternal (stovetop/other)?

"and the morning stars I have seen
and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat] 107 votes

Instant Pot
25%
Docmatt has a problemJavenKarlQuidAridholUndead ScottsmanSixjoshgotroMichaelLCFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudHi I'm Vee!ApogeeAtomikaZaylenzHerrCronzekebeaufortisBloodySlothSeal 27 votes
Crock-Pot
15%
DrezTaximesTTODewbackTetraRayThat_GuyAphostileAntinumericCapt HowdySmaug6PowerpuppiesronyaSmrtnikNosfSummaryJudgmentPolaritieAlexandiercB557 17 votes
The Secret Fire of Prometheus
43%
ZavianDevoutlyApatheticShazkar ShadowstormtynicAimDoodmannHappylilElftyrannusKid PresentableVishNubIncenjucarRhesus PositiveLoserForHireXRamiCouscousArchHevachZilla360TcheldorHahnsoo1 47 votes
Delivery
14%
MulysaSemproniusMrMistersyndalisElendilP10TastyfishjungleroomxBrodyMimEddyChanusWinkyNecoKanacredeikiA Kobold's Kobold 16 votes

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I use the pressure cooker for ribs, the slow cooker for beans, the stove for most other things, and lie to myself about delivery.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I love my instapot don't get me wrong but I use it to bulk cook chicken breast and rice

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Depends on what I'm making.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    We've only used our instant pot for grains and quick-soaking cashews

I do want to try some legit recipes, hmm

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    holy shit the prophecy has been fortold

v5sphiy044te.png

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Re: gashapon and onomatopoeia

Japan's weird in that onomatopoeia is very, very... important is the closest word I can think of, though it's not correct. It's everywhere. They have like a hojillion different words for the sound of rain depending on how hard it's raining. It's part of why there is so much noise in the background of manga. BUT, the language is impoverished in terms of actual available sounds. The actual Japanese alphabet is pretty restrictive because consonants and vowels are bound together.

I think that particular combination probably leads to some weird-sounding onomatopoeia (though in the language's defense, I don't know how I'd do what they're trying to do with gashapon. Grrchkt-thk?). Though I am also super fond of some of it. Doki-doki is way better than lub-dub for hearts.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I can't choose a single favorite.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Delivery
    I live alone and am trying to cut down on delivery, which is, I suspect, a prime obstacle in weight loss, so clearly making giant batch Instant Pot meals where no one can control my portions is the solution

Eddy on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    EjxfuTAWkAQxp45?format=png&name=900x900

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The most annoying part of the instant pot is when it fails to pressurize.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Japan's weird in that onomatopoeia is very, very... important is the closest word I can think of, though it's not correct. It's everywhere. They have like a hojillion different words for the sound of rain depending on how hard it's raining. It's part of why there is so much noise in the background of manga. BUT, the language is impoverished in terms of actual available sounds. The actual Japanese alphabet is pretty restrictive because consonants and vowels are bound together.

I think that particular combination probably leads to some weird-sounding onomatopoeia (though in the language's defense, I don't know how I'd do what they're trying to do with gashapon. Grrchkt-thk?). Though I am also super fond of some of it. Doki-doki is way better than lub-dub for hearts.

It also results in tons of words that are two words repeated

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Couscous wrote: »

It also results in tons of words that are two words repeated

Yeah but then you get to use that cute weird kanji that's all "I'm the same thing repeated!"

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I live alone and am trying to cut down on delivery, which is, I suspect, a prime obstacle in weight loss, so clearly making giant batch Instant Pot meals where no one can control my portions is the solution
    I don't live alone but my wife hates having leftovers so now we get delivery more often and spend more on food and eat less of it (percentage wise) and also it's generally unhealthier.

it's working p well so far

Imo we should have more words that are onomatopoeia-based. Better than fake latin.

Like the proper name for one of these is a kerchunker:
    glt101d5x6e1.jpeg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Man, Dungeons and Daddies might be my favorite D&D podcast ever.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    The crock pot is definitely easier to use if you have the time and don't want to futz around with the pressurization.

But the instant pot also has a slow cook setting, so it wins anyway.

vRyue2p.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    Aioua wrote: »
    Imo we should have more words that are onomatopoeia-based. Better than fake latin.

Like the proper name for one of these is a kerchunker:
    glt101d5x6e1.jpeg

gonna be honest if the proper name isn't "date stamp" i wouldn't know the difference anyway

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    pikapika, guriguri, tokidoki, shoushou, korokoro

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    We've only used our instant pot for grains and quick-soaking cashews

I do want to try some legit recipes, hmm

these are both bomb:

* https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/pressure-cooker-butternut-squash-risotto-sage-brown-butter-quick-easy-recipe.html
    * https://pipingpotcurry.com/punjabi-chole-instant-pot/

e: it looks like I also have this recipe saved, which means I've made it and liked it, but I don't remember it...: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

skippydumptruck on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My Kobo book recommendations consist mainly of spaceships and pandemics.

qbwf0txfxjx1.png

well the uline catalog will call it a "date stamp", but they're cowards

Also Skyrim is great and you're a bunch of witches.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Delivery
    The thing is that onomatopoeia is so arbitrary ("kerchunk"!?) that we might as well just give up and become unbending prescriptivists

Or go with whatever the cutest possible onomatopoeia is, a la the Japanese

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    The Spanish Uprising
    Starship Epidemic

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Awhile ago my mother asked me to hand her the 'gazinta'.

I was like

what did you just say

She wanted me to hand her the AC adapter for the usb cable she was holding.

Apparently 'gazinta' is what my parents call something that another thing 'goes into'.

I had never heard them use that term in my life. Another Berenstain Bears thing I guess.

vRyue2p.png
    Delivery
    Awhile ago my mother asked me to hand her the 'gazinta'.

I was like

what did you just say

She wanted me to hand her the AC adapter for the usb cable she was holding.

Apparently 'gazinta' is what my parents call something that another thing 'goes into'.

I had never heard them use that term in my life. Another Berenstain Bears thing I guess.

so presumably your dad's wang

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Delivery

No and also thank you

Delivery
    wait i read that backwards

well unless he's into docking i guess

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    how to leave and why you're leaving

Eddy wrote: »
    The thing is that onomatopoeia is so arbitrary ("kerchunk"!?) that we might as well just give up and become unbending prescriptivists

Or go with whatever the cutest possible onomatopoeia is, a la the Japanese

I was just thinking that the disadvantage of Japanese is that things never make noises humans can replicate, so human language is shit for the task. English is SLIGHTLY better, because you can write things that you can't actually speak (which you can't in Japanese), but you're still dealing with trying to replicate the sound of someone cranking a lever or whatever.

I have thus changed my mind and decided that onomatopoeia will henceforth be judged purely on cuteness. Ten points to Japan.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    In the future keyboards will seem really quaint, like punch-cards, as will simply sing all of our code verses into the world-chorus

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So listening to Critical Role, one of the things Matt Mercer does that I really like is he's very animated and keeps a good tempo during combat. I think it helps inspire the players who are pretty much always ready to rock when it is their turn. There are occasional questions about rules and discussions about what to do next, but most of the time people have the thing they want to do ready to go. He seems to have a very frenetic style of describing combat that I really like.

Instead of "The Goblin's turn. They run up to you and attack with the longsword. They rolled a 14, does that hit?" He does more of a "The goblin charges at you with his sword raised above his head! He shrieks and swings it down at your chest! Does a 14 hit?" Part of it is just the tone, part of it is the better descriptions of the action. He's very fast to roll with whatever the players try to do and narrates that basically every time anyone does something which seems to work very well.

I know, matt mercer effect and all, but as a DM it seems like a good thing to crib off of a bit. More animation, more energy and excitement in combat to keep players engaged. And viewers, since I stream this thing after all.

No and also thank you

But like, the bad kind.

I'll get back to you when I can figure out what a bad kind of witch is.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I use the instant pot when I want a slow-cooked meal in 1 hour instead of 8 hours.

Most of the time I just use the stove.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I can't choose a single favorite.

I haven't used my instant pot in a while, but it's my preferred way to make Mac n Cheese now.

I was tempted to just select delivery, because, honestly, if I could eat healthy and not have it impact my financial state, I would probably order out for every meal.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Instant Pot
    Havong an Instant pot lets you pretend you'll use dried beans so you have these big bags of dried beans.

While you never actually do it, in the event of an apocalypse you'll at least have that option before you pack it in and give up.

Tumin on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I made lentil soup in the insta a couple of days ago, and it was great

but the leftovers got weirdly congealed from the beans maybe sucking up more of the liquid or something? but it's not a soup any more which is really disappointing

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Havong an Instant pot lets you pretend you'll use dried beans so you have these big bags of dried beans.

While you never actually do it, in the event of an apocalypse you'll at least have that option before you pack it in and give up.

My assumption is that I will survive 5-10 minutes of an apocalypse, so I don't worry about planning for it.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So listening to Critical Role, one of the things Matt Mercer does that I really like is he's very animated and keeps a good tempo during combat. I think it helps inspire the players who are pretty much always ready to rock when it is their turn. There are occasional questions about rules and discussions about what to do next, but most of the time people have the thing they want to do ready to go. He seems to have a very frenetic style of describing combat that I really like.

Instead of "The Goblin's turn. They run up to you and attack with the longsword. They rolled a 14, does that hit?" He does more of a "The goblin charges at you with his sword raised above his head! He shrieks and swings it down at your chest! Does a 14 hit?" Part of it is just the tone, part of it is the better descriptions of the action. He's very fast to roll with whatever the players try to do and narrates that basically every time anyone does something which seems to work very well.

I know, matt mercer effect and all, but as a DM it seems like a good thing to crib off of a bit. More animation, more energy and excitement in combat to keep players engaged. And viewers, since I stream this thing after all.

I think the best way to DM is how you are comfortable and keep your players having fun and you having fun. Matt is really animated because I think that is how he has fun. Though he cheeses it up for the camera now. He starts that animated though.

I love Matt and think he is great. Actually for some stuff I think that is a great way to improve your DMing is watching Matt Coleville's videos that Riemann linked. Dude is actually a huge Crit Role fan but he is also a DM with like 30 years of experience and has really good videos on how to build out encounters and explainers and such. Really great ideas and stuff on how to build interesting fights.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.