As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    I made lentil soup in the insta a couple of days ago, and it was great

but the leftovers got weirdly congealed from the beans maybe sucking up more of the liquid or something? but it's not a soup any more which is really disappointing

Like a bean congee?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow.

My sister and her husband watched the new Bill and Ted and she was just telling me about how weird it was.

I asked if she had seen the others.

She legit had no idea they existed and went into the new one just like that.

Amazing.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

but the leftovers got weirdly congealed from the beans maybe sucking up more of the liquid or something? but it's not a soup any more which is really disappointing

Like a bean congee?

I ate the leftovers on top of crostinis and it was basically a thick bean spread >_>

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Awhile ago my mother asked me to hand her the 'gazinta'.

I was like

what did you just say

She wanted me to hand her the AC adapter for the usb cable she was holding.

Apparently 'gazinta' is what my parents call something that another thing 'goes into'.

I had never heard them use that term in my life. Another Berenstain Bears thing I guess.

Similar to the British slang guzunder for chamber-pot, because it guzunder the bed

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    iirc there was some hippie who tried to invent a programming language that you sang, but I think it's hard to make something that can both easily express the logical flow of programming and sounds good when sung unless you really take liberties with either

surely you could come up with something good that is sort of in the style of Quranic recitation, though?

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So listening to Critical Role, one of the things Matt Mercer does that I really like is he's very animated and keeps a good tempo during combat. I think it helps inspire the players who are pretty much always ready to rock when it is their turn. There are occasional questions about rules and discussions about what to do next, but most of the time people have the thing they want to do ready to go. He seems to have a very frenetic style of describing combat that I really like.

Instead of "The Goblin's turn. They run up to you and attack with the longsword. They rolled a 14, does that hit?" He does more of a "The goblin charges at you with his sword raised above his head! He shrieks and swings it down at your chest! Does a 14 hit?" Part of it is just the tone, part of it is the better descriptions of the action. He's very fast to roll with whatever the players try to do and narrates that basically every time anyone does something which seems to work very well.

I know, matt mercer effect and all, but as a DM it seems like a good thing to crib off of a bit. More animation, more energy and excitement in combat to keep players engaged. And viewers, since I stream this thing after all.

I think the best way to DM is how you are comfortable and keep your players having fun and you having fun. Matt is really animated because I think that is how he has fun. Though he cheeses it up for the camera now. He starts that animated though.

I love Matt and think he is great. Actually for some stuff I think that is a great way to improve your DMing is watching Matt Coleville's videos that Riemann linked. Dude is actually a huge Crit Role fan but he is also a DM with like 30 years of experience and has really good videos on how to build out encounters and explainers and such. Really great ideas and stuff on how to build interesting fights.

The two Matts have two very different styles of running games. Mercer is very sort of high fantasy swords and sorcery. Epic confrontations with world ending god-level threats.

Colville runs a game of political intrigue. I am so antsy for The Chain of Acheron to return because there's nothing else like it that I've found. He makes subtle play, information and disinformation management and social manipulation interesting as a viewer.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So listening to Critical Role, one of the things Matt Mercer does that I really like is he's very animated and keeps a good tempo during combat. I think it helps inspire the players who are pretty much always ready to rock when it is their turn. There are occasional questions about rules and discussions about what to do next, but most of the time people have the thing they want to do ready to go. He seems to have a very frenetic style of describing combat that I really like.

Instead of "The Goblin's turn. They run up to you and attack with the longsword. They rolled a 14, does that hit?" He does more of a "The goblin charges at you with his sword raised above his head! He shrieks and swings it down at your chest! Does a 14 hit?" Part of it is just the tone, part of it is the better descriptions of the action. He's very fast to roll with whatever the players try to do and narrates that basically every time anyone does something which seems to work very well.

I know, matt mercer effect and all, but as a DM it seems like a good thing to crib off of a bit. More animation, more energy and excitement in combat to keep players engaged. And viewers, since I stream this thing after all.

I think the best way to DM is how you are comfortable and keep your players having fun and you having fun. Matt is really animated because I think that is how he has fun. Though he cheeses it up for the camera now. He starts that animated though.

I love Matt and think he is great. Actually for some stuff I think that is a great way to improve your DMing is watching Matt Coleville's videos that Riemann linked. Dude is actually a huge Crit Role fan but he is also a DM with like 30 years of experience and has really good videos on how to build out encounters and explainers and such. Really great ideas and stuff on how to build interesting fights.

Oh for sure, finding the sweet spot where the DM and the players are all meshing is the most important. I definitely think I can improve my DMing skills and sometimes when I listen to myself describe stuff, I am displeased with how it sounds, so I think trying to have more energy will be an improvement for me and the players. I missed whatever Riemann linked, I'll have to look for it, but I do like Matt Coleville's videos!

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mercer's voice acting chops really bring his performances to a different level, though. Like, every single NPC is goddamn interesting. Some of the most popular characters in the campaigns have been off the cuff creations like Victor, the black powder seller.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

The two Matts have two very different styles of running games. Mercer is very sort of high fantasy swords and sorcery. Epic confrontations with world ending god-level threats.

Colville runs a game of political intrigue. I am so antsy for The Chain of Acheron to return because there's nothing else like it that I've found. He makes subtle play, information and disinformation management and social manipulation interesting as a viewer.

I think they are both really good.

Like the ones I listen to regularly are Coleville who does a lot of stuff like you said. Its a fun game to listen. Mercer who is more fun to watch. Crit Role season 2 with the amazing maps make me jealous. Helps that everyone at the table really loves their characters and really get into it. Griffith from TAZ is all about the story. I still love him doing stuff like Apocalypse because I fill it fits his DMing better. How they D&D drives my internal rules nerd nuts but also at the same time they have fun.

I think my thought process is to DM your own way you are comfortable with. I am excited to knock my rust off after a few years. Running a one shot in 5E for a few nerds that may post around here. Also give Loser a break from dming for a bit and be a player.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Since you can use an instant pot as a slow cooker, I don’t know why you’d pick a crock pot.

can you feel the struggle within?

Oh for sure, finding the sweet spot where the DM and the players are all meshing is the most important. I definitely think I can improve my DMing skills and sometimes when I listen to myself describe stuff, I am displeased with how it sounds, so I think trying to have more energy will be an improvement for me and the players. I missed whatever Riemann linked, I'll have to look for it, but I do like Matt Coleville's videos!

I love these two.

https://youtu.be/BVKRUrBDCGc

https://youtu.be/262aEO3cWPQ

Great ways to make some interesting gameplay. He has some on goblins and undead which are fun to think through. His trap episode is neat.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Delivery

Ahh another one falls victim to post meal bean sucking

The Undead video is here.

https://youtu.be/icQx5NH_h88

I like listening through his thought process of building encounters and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am deeply, deeply suspicious of people who "don't like leftovers"

If they've got that much of a dysfunctional relationship with food, then what else is wrong with them?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    I am deeply, deeply suspicious of people who "don't like leftovers"

If they've got that much of a dysfunctional relationship with food, then what else is wrong with them?

i don't dislike leftovers but i am absolutely terrible at actually eating them

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Chanus did you buy your Les Mac

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    Six wrote: »
    Chanus did you buy your Les Mac

i haven't but i do keep looking at it and hovering over add to cart

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    leftovers are the gift of not having to cook but eating a home cooked meal. mostly they're good.

sometimes they are not good because they didn't store well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to store them better.

sometimes they are not good because you have failed to reheat them well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to reheat food.

sometimes they are not good because they were not good the first time. this is a lesson for you to not be a huge fuckup in the kitchen, now eat the garbage you created, wilbur.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Last night I took some leftover tortellini that I wasnt too jazzed about eating, cracked an egg into the bowl, stirred it until the egg had coated everything evenly, then dumped in bread crumbs and a few spices and tossed it until everything was evenly coated, popped the bowl in the freezer while some cooking oil came up to temp, then pan fried them at 350ºF for a few minutes.

served with some skewers for dipping into marinara as an appetizer

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    leftovers are the gift of not having to cook but eating a home cooked meal. mostly they're good.

sometimes they are not good because they didn't store well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to store them better.

sometimes they are not good because you have failed to reheat them well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to reheat food.

sometimes they are not good because they were not good the first time. this is a lesson for you to not be a huge fuckup in the kitchen next time, now eat the garbage you created, wilbur.

sometimes they're not good because the food you made just doesn't store well though, not because you didn't store them properly

in which case you shoulda just not made so much, you know this doesn't store well

but mostly yes

also, who hasn't made a huge amount of something, fucked it up, and paid dearly for their hubris because their next nine meals are crap

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I have never, in my life, had leftover tortellini

the closest I've come is having a tortellini meal that had several rounds

ftOqU21.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2020
    Fermented foods and drinks are a subset of leftovers.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    Delivery

sometimes they are not good because they were not good the first time. this is a lesson for you to not be a huge fuckup in the kitchen next time, now eat the garbage you created, wilbur.

I like how you phrased this in the form of a sutra

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    I'll never stop eating congealed, cold tortellini by the fistful from the tub. I know my rights!

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of leftovers because they give me flashbacks to my early 20s, when I was living on my own and didn't know how to cook yet, and would do stuff like make a trough of beef stew and eat that for every meal for the next week

never again

One of my favorite indulgent recipes is a pasta that is basically just broiled cheese with a nice red sauce

The parmesan cooks down into the sauce and it just tastes amazing

But I make it with gnocchi and the gnocchi I buy is unsalvageable after a day in the fridge. The sauce is saved by the oven or the stovetop, I think, but the gnocchi themselves? Crumbly little fucks

I can't find any other brands and I'm reluctant to make my own gnocchi again. It's very time consuming

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last night I took some leftover tortellini that I wasnt too jazzed about eating, cracked an egg into the bowl, stirred it until the egg had coated everything evenly, then dumped in bread crumbs and a few spices and tossed it until everything was evenly coated, popped the bowl in the freezer while some cooking oil came up to temp, then pan fried them at 350ºF for a few minutes.

served with some skewers for dipping into marinara as an appetizer

That sounds like effort.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    good day chat
    let me tell you
    how crock pot became a generic term
    and how it raised generations of southern baptists
    each more lazy than the last
    it's empire stretches out over america now
    many of which have never owned a Crock Pot
    they just call whatever they do have a crock pot
    It's the true American God

Bless your heart.
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    -ucezAzq?format=jpg&name=large
    yep that's a big pumpkin

Delivery
    I have a problem among me and my roommates that no one wants to eat the last bit of something, out of misplaced politeness, in case someone else wanted to have it.

I suppose this is better than the alternative.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    My favorite leftovers are a salad that’s been tossed in dressing and then left in a fridge for two days

Abdhyius wrote: »

sometimes they're not good because the food you made just doesn't store well though, not because you didn't store them properly

in which case you shoulda just not made so much, you know this doesn't store well

but mostly yes

also, who hasn't made a huge amount of something, fucked it up, and paid dearly for their hubris because their next nine meals are crap

Generally things that don't store well are soups, because their contents aren't supposed to sit in broth for more than the cooking time before eating. I know this sounds insane, but it's really not that much more work to, when storing the leftovers, pour the soup through a mesh strainer and store the liquid and solids separately. It takes, I dunno, one minute, and you've done yourself a great service.

sometimes they are better than the first day, because the flavors have had more time to meld or whatever! shit's magic!

My favorite leftovers are a salad that’s been tossed in dressing and then left in a fridge for two days

all soggy with a light wild fermentation flavor. some light stomach cramps after.

i mean I wouldn't know I have never made this mistake

sometimes they are better than the first day, because the flavors have had more time to meld or whatever! shit's magic!

Curry gets better as it goes on. Shit is magic.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Tonight I am making teriyaki peanut stir fry

https://www.copymethat.com/r/kQ9LihV/teriyaki-peanut-tofu-with-stir-fried-veg/

This recipe is always good and sometimes it's phenomenal; I haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not sure what's making the difference

I am pretty sure I have never cooked beans to proper completion, due to impatience. So as leftovers they always steadily improve for about 3 days of sitting in their cooking liquid with a little bacon.

Tonight I am making teriyaki peanut stir fry

https://www.copymethat.com/r/kQ9LihV/teriyaki-peanut-tofu-with-stir-fried-veg/

This recipe is always good and sometimes it's phenomenal; I haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not sure what's making the difference

I need to learn to stir fry - it seems like a good way to do veg heavy (or vegetarian) meals and I want that, but for whatever reason I have not embarked on this journey

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    leftovers flavor profiles change as it sits over a few days and some items improve, others get worse

Like pasta sauce seems to improve with a little bit of age, but like a leftover hamburger or meatloaf is fucking awful and there's really nothing you can do to make it better, even vacuum sealing it doesn't seem to help.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.