As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tonight I am making teriyaki peanut stir fry

https://www.copymethat.com/r/kQ9LihV/teriyaki-peanut-tofu-with-stir-fried-veg/

This recipe is always good and sometimes it's phenomenal; I haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not sure what's making the difference

I need to learn to stir fry - it seems like a good way to do veg heavy (or vegetarian) meals and I want that, but for whatever reason I have not embarked on this journey

A good wok is a worthwhile investment. Heat plus good oil plus a bit of experience is what you need. Stir fry is street food and pretty easy.

I do a lot of really good sauces from scratch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    When you have a dog, there is rarely such a thing as 'leftovers'.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Leftover steak I generally don't attempt to reheat because you nearly always make it worse and it turns out cold steak is actually quite delicious.

Leftover ground beef is a real challenge. The best uses I have found involve making chilli, making a meaty tomato sauce, or chopping it up and mixing with taco seasoning. Eating it cold works too, but reheating without a liquid around it is doomed to failure.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tonight I am making teriyaki peanut stir fry

https://www.copymethat.com/r/kQ9LihV/teriyaki-peanut-tofu-with-stir-fried-veg/

This recipe is always good and sometimes it's phenomenal; I haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not sure what's making the difference

I need to learn to stir fry - it seems like a good way to do veg heavy (or vegetarian) meals and I want that, but for whatever reason I have not embarked on this journey

I mean in general at home it's just prep a sauce, prep veg, cook noodles, cook veg in sauce, mix in noodles, serve

There are more serious stir fries but to get that real fry up in the wok I don't think you can do it indoors at a normal residential kitchen

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I turn left over steak in steak sandwiches usually.

Left over burgers and stuff reheat better on a stove or oven than a microwave.

Some left overs just do bad but a lot of meat stuff I can usually turn into a decent sandwich or salad addition.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Okay but...(dexter finale spoilers)
    Is he still a lumberjack?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My fume hood is up to the task of about 60 seconds of stir fry cooking before it's overwhelmed, so I can get a good cook on one, maybe two veggies before having to bail. It makes me want an industrial hood so badly.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Leftover steak I generally don't attempt to reheat because you nearly always make it worse and it turns out cold steak is actually quite delicious.

Leftover ground beef is a real challenge. The best uses I have found involve making chilli, making a meaty tomato sauce, or chopping it up and mixing with taco seasoning. Eating it cold works too, but reheating without a liquid around it is doomed to failure.

My mother gave me leftover burger king one day

I just didn't eat after taking the first bite.

The french fries were the worst part, the hamburger was okay.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    Anything can taste good with some good sauce

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    I never finished Dexter but do we really need more Dexter?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    I never finished Dexter but do we really need more Dexter?

Maybe if it's like, first three seasons of Dexter!

Maybe they'll just retcon the last few seasons!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Unless he found a time machine so he can travel back to before his show went to shit? He can go away again.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I kinda wish we had a gas stove so I could do stir fry more easily.

It's not impossible on an induction but it's definitely more of a pain in the ass.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I make stir fry frequently on a cheap stovetop that has element burners. I got a really nice wok though.

Of course, I know what you guys are talking about - there's definitely a stage where stuff is being boiled more than fried, but I try to spread it out a bit to minimize that. Bed of rice, Korean BBQ sauce, I'm happy with what comes out at the end, despite it not being as good as if I was properly stir frying.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

*looks at watch*
    Why is this coming back? It isn't 2034 yet.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

My mother gave me leftover burger king one day

I just didn't eat after taking the first bite.

The french fries were the worst part, the hamburger was okay.

Fast food is so greasy, you CANNOT let that grease congeal or it's disgusting.

• Options
    Instant Pot
    Isn’t season 4 the one with John Lithgow?

Just show that again.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Leftover ground beef is decent for the kind of chili that you put on something, like nachos or whatever

Or if you're doing something like burgers topped with chili

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Just show that again.

the john lithgow season was the best season and had the perfect ending to the show

that final shot with dexter and the baby puts a bow on the entire series

override367 on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    leftovers are the gift of not having to cook but eating a home cooked meal. mostly they're good.

sometimes they are not good because they didn't store well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to store them better.

sometimes they are not good because you have failed to reheat them well. this is a lesson for you to learn how to reheat food.

sometimes they are not good because they were not good the first time. this is a lesson for you to not be a huge fuckup in the kitchen next time, now eat the garbage you created, wilbur.

sometimes they're not good because the food you made just doesn't store well though, not because you didn't store them properly

in which case you shoulda just not made so much, you know this doesn't store well

but mostly yes

also, who hasn't made a huge amount of something, fucked it up, and paid dearly for their hubris because their next nine meals are crap

Generally things that don't store well are soups, because their contents aren't supposed to sit in broth for more than the cooking time before eating. I know this sounds insane, but it's really not that much more work to, when storing the leftovers, pour the soup through a mesh strainer and store the liquid and solids separately. It takes, I dunno, one minute, and you've done yourself a great service.

pasta, for me

soups I've never had a problem with because I don't really mind if any of the contents get overcooked but penne is not tasty after a bout in the fridge

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Just show that again.
    Season 1
    Dexter has a brother
    Season 2
    Dexter has a girlfriend
    Season 3
    Dexter is grooming an acolyte
    Season 4
    Dexter finds old Dexter and he doesn't like it for some reason

The show peaked with Season 1.

• Options
    Instant Pot
    At least that tweet started properly.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Just show that again.
    Season 1
    Dexter has a brother
    Season 2
    Dexter has a girlfriend
    Season 3
    Dexter is grooming an acolyte
    Season 4
    Dexter finds old Dexter and he doesn't like it for some reason

The show peaked with Season 1.

I dunno, Season 4 was pretty damn good.

Season 5 had the cultists, and season 6 was the final? I think?

fake edit: shit I looked it up there's 8 seasons. 5 was him basically coping with things, six was the crazy cultists, 7 was the lady serial killer I think? And then 8 was...whatever 8 was.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I make stir fry frequently on a cheap stovetop that has element burners. I got a really nice wok though.

Of course, I know what you guys are talking about - there's definitely a stage where stuff is being boiled more than fried, but I try to spread it out a bit to minimize that. Bed of rice, Korean BBQ sauce, I'm happy with what comes out at the end, despite it not being as good as if I was properly stir frying.

I make food almost weekly that my wife and I refer to as stir fry, but its really just tofu and veggies, sauted separately, dumped in together at the end, over a bunch of rice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    for the kind of pasta I make where the sauce and the pasta are cooked as one

essentially, think risotto, but with penne, and you've mostly got it

otherwise I wouldn't store pasta, because it's pasta. Leftover sauce is a godsend to have though. My collection of old mustard jars comes in very handy for this. It's the perfect amount of sauce for a dinner for one.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    dexter only had 4 seasons i dunno what you are all on about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Maybe they are going to reboot or just have him just doing some murdering while also working for the 50-50 doing blood work.

They didn’t need to get so convoluted with it.
    Murder criminal pretend not to be serial killer go to work so family stuff murder.

That’s really where the shine was. Then they got to soap opera about the whole thing and it jumped the shark, then beat that shark to death.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    then shit on the shark

and then brought the shark's kids in to watch the show break all of the shark's fingers

then told the shark it was adopted

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    ok I watched the new my hero academia movie and cried VERY much aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so good

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Miles Morales for GOTY 2020

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    papa google has looked into its vast tome of knowledge about me and decided that what I am most inclined to buy in this world are garage doors

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Delivery
    apparently the battery on my old laptop is just completely dead and it only works while plugged in

but i don't want to spend $900/$1400/$2200 right now

being able to afford things but it just not being the best idea to buy them is a challenge

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Eddy wrote: »
    The thing is that onomatopoeia is so arbitrary ("kerchunk"!?) that we might as well just give up and become unbending prescriptivists

Or go with whatever the cutest possible onomatopoeia is, a la the Japanese

kiu4ici75s8z.png

• Options
    2qz0jy9nk9mr.jpg

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Speaking of shows going to shit...

I just finished Future Man this weekend. S1 was fun but both S2 and S3 felt like pure bloat amidst constant callbacks to S1 stuff. Honestly the new and interesting bits of last 2 seasons could have just been condensed to a few episodes tacked on to S1.

• Options
    Delivery
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    papa google has looked into its vast tome of knowledge about me and decided that what I am most inclined to buy in this world are garage doors

that makes sense

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    me and eddy both bought instant pots

probably both from wal mart

poo
  • Options
    Delivery
    SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER was probably the high point of the entire Dexter run

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    The thing is that onomatopoeia is so arbitrary ("kerchunk"!?) that we might as well just give up and become unbending prescriptivists

Or go with whatever the cutest possible onomatopoeia is, a la the Japanese

kiu4ici75s8z.png

I wish I could look up the artist, but I can't remember who it was ([chat] should know). He does work in comics professionally, but does his own random stuff, and he's got one that talks about a bunch of women superheroes synchronizing their wombs and the explosion sounds was WOOOOOOMMMMMMMB

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    o7prappgbaxy.png

This discussion has been closed.