As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    i wish nintendo switch gave me achievements

also that they were awarded in mario's voice

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    Chanus wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    1) I only watched Dexter for Doakes.

2) Chanus if it's a work only laptop 8gb might last but I wouldn't want to go less than 16 if you want to be using it for anything else because RAM is something all the OSes are consuming much more than they should nowadays.

it's for music making basically

i wouldn't use it for much else but also i just don't know what kind of resources music making uses these days

Making music = recording only or real-time synth stuff

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can’t add more RAM or

Won’t desolder and solder on new RAM modules on a brand new thousand dollar machine thus breaking warranty

Our ancestors took a risk killing that sabertooth in hand to hand combat we are not cowards

PSN: Honkalot
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    They joke, but some car companies are already floating ideas like "subscription fee for heated seats".

Infiniti wanted $33 a month for me to be able to start my car with my cell phone.

HAH

They should look into loot boxes with the dash screen ... 🤔

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    desc wrote: »

2) Chanus if it's a work only laptop 8gb might last but I wouldn't want to go less than 16 if you want to be using it for anything else because RAM is something all the OSes are consuming much more than they should nowadays.

i wouldn't use it for much else but also i just don't know what kind of resources music making uses these days

both ideally

Delivery
    i do all my own stunts but also sometimes i like to just untz untz and twist knobs and make bleeps and bloops

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    i wish nintendo switch gave me achievements

much like life

both ideally

I feel like i7 is good for Synth grunt

RAM I feel like is only an issue with like a Kontakt sample libraries sucking up a gig or so at a time

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I just watched Terminator Dark Fate and deem it better than the last one.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    well i cracked

but at least i didn't buy the $2200 one

I decided I needed the Magic Keyboard Folio for my iPad myself.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Damn you guys are making me feel bad for not getting a new watch OR probably not getting a new phone

can you feel the struggle within?
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    well i cracked

A friend of mine recently won a raffle for a laptop.

They're so uninterested in computers they don't even have internet.

Incenjucar on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    well i cracked

What

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My beard has gotten amazingly pointy.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    well i cracked

Secretly switch it out for a brick, see if they notice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I also want a laptop but I hadn’t considered winning one, I’ll give that a go.

Delivery
    Six wrote: »
    Damn you guys are making me feel bad for not getting a new watch OR probably not getting a new phone

I'll probably have to get a new phone before long, this 3T can't last forever, probably.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Delivery

both ideally

RAM I feel like is only an issue with like a Kontakt sample libraries sucking up a gig or so at a time

yeah the i7 was $2200 though so i decided to just go i5 for $1200

i dunno that i'll get so crazy with plugins that it will become an issue. i don't even really know how to use ableton beyond basic stuff still haha

Delivery
    Honk wrote: »
    I also want a laptop but I hadn’t considered winning one, I’ll give that a go.

it's a pretty good plan tbh

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

both ideally

i dunno that i'll get so crazy with plugins that it will become an issue. i don't even really know how to use ableton beyond basic stuff still haha

For gaming performance, generally there's very little to gain from the i7 over the i5.

Instant Pot
    Brody wrote: »

I'll probably have to get a new phone before long, this 3T can't last forever, probably.

I'm on a 7 Plus and I just assumed as soon as new phones were announced I'd be all over them, but I was kind of, well not UNDERwhelmed, maybe just whelmed by the new phones. Love the form factor but my phone works fine. iOS 14 runs fine. I'm not traveling so I can't even justify it as "this is my primary compute device and it's cool to have something crazy expensive"

It's dumb but if it had USB-C I'd be all over it.

Delivery
    Kamiro wrote: »

whatever happened to using the hands that god gave you?

how do you think i twist the knobs

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    well i cracked

What

They are very cool people who do lots of fun adventures, but they don't really do digital entertainment at their own home. Not even a TV in the house. I've made sure to text them every week to make sure they're not slipping through the cracks with those whole social distancing thing.

Might actually be time to sell this iPad and get a new one. I had wanted a pro mainly for the form factor - the end-to-end screen. But I see now that the current air model has that too for half the price.

I see that the pro has higher screen res and probably that 120hz thing is what they mean with promotion.

I don’t care jack shit about the cameras I’ll never use.

It’s hard to compare the processors since it’s just a random name devoid of stats.

If cameras literally might not even exist does the pro have much advantage?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Delivery
    i had seen the tweets but hadn't considered the brockmire angle which adds to them i think haha

Chanus on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Leftover steak I generally don't attempt to reheat because you nearly always make it worse and it turns out cold steak is actually quite delicious.

Leftover ground beef is a real challenge. The best uses I have found involve making chilli, making a meaty tomato sauce, or chopping it up and mixing with taco seasoning. Eating it cold works too, but reheating without a liquid around it is doomed to failure.

I dunno what it is, but my leftover steak often turns out quite good, though different, than when it was just made.

though actually, it just microwave it enough to get the outside a bit hotter, but the rest of it is a bit cold. so cold steak, not bad

leftover steak is for making quesadillas

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    leftover chicken too but what kind of sociopath doesn't eat the entire chicken breast

HappylilElf on
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Leftovers are great because when the late night scavenger in me awakens I can pretend I'm eating somewhat healthy rather than stuffing my face with random fridge/pantry findings.

Leftover chicken sashimi

Instant Pot
    Might actually be time to sell this iPad and get a new one. I had wanted a pro mainly for the form factor - the end-to-end screen. But I see now that the current air model has that too for half the price.

I see that the pro has higher screen res and probably that 120hz thing is what they mean with promotion.

It’s hard to compare the processors since it’s just a random name devoid of stats.

The 120hz screen is absolutely gorgeous. It's fast as fuck but I haven't used the air.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Delivery
    Nova_C wrote: »

both ideally

For gaming performance, generally there's very little to gain from the i7 over the i5.

It's a mac so that won't be an issue

Delivery
    Leftover chicken sashimis

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Leftover chicken sushis and sashimis

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, speaking of:

A co-worker of mine has been gaining weight over the past year or so and he's typically one of the fitter people around, so he's unhappy about that. We've been working some crossover weekend shifts, so have been chatting about weight loss and he asked if I'd be interested in a wager: Whoever loses more weight by Jan 31st gets $300 from the other.

I went for it.

So I'm going to make a serious effort. I already know I can't keep a proper breakfast scheduled, I've tried too many times and failed, but I figure a bagel and a coffee isn't going to kill me.

It's my overeating in the evening that's doing it.

So I'm working at having some protein variety - chicken, pork, and beef in the form of strip steaks, each night, with some boiled mixed veggies in hot sauce, as my staple. This is a meal I actually already eat regularly, just need to get rid of the snacking around it, and the odd pizza/fried chicken meals.

And starting today, I'm walking to work again, and for the first time ever, I'll be taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator. I'm on the 10th floor. I usually have to stop on the 4th, 6th and 8th floors for a couple minutes. Want to get to where I can do all 10 without stopping or having a heart attack.

And anytime I want to quit, I just have to ask myself if I want to pay this guy $300 in addition to still being fat.

The 120hz screen is absolutely gorgeous. It's fast as fuck but I haven't used the air.

I’ve seen it in the store and it really is something but it’s a hike in price difference.

Hmm

He ponders, using his fully functional iPad for the first time in a month

Instant Pot

I’ve seen it in the store and it really is something but it’s a hike in price difference.

Hmm

I think it might be a thing where it makes sense if you’re going to be creating on it. If you’re going to use it for email and browsing mostly, stick with the air.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So listening to Critical Role, one of the things Matt Mercer does that I really like is he's very animated and keeps a good tempo during combat. I think it helps inspire the players who are pretty much always ready to rock when it is their turn. There are occasional questions about rules and discussions about what to do next, but most of the time people have the thing they want to do ready to go. He seems to have a very frenetic style of describing combat that I really like.

Instead of "The Goblin's turn. They run up to you and attack with the longsword. They rolled a 14, does that hit?" He does more of a "The goblin charges at you with his sword raised above his head! He shrieks and swings it down at your chest! Does a 14 hit?" Part of it is just the tone, part of it is the better descriptions of the action. He's very fast to roll with whatever the players try to do and narrates that basically every time anyone does something which seems to work very well.

I know, matt mercer effect and all, but as a DM it seems like a good thing to crib off of a bit. More animation, more energy and excitement in combat to keep players engaged. And viewers, since I stream this thing after all.

@SniperGuy talk to me about the Matt Mercer effect here.

I've been quietly DMing in a cave for the last 30 years and I don't know what all the cool D&D stars are about

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    well i cracked

how do you even talk to them

This discussion has been closed.