As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    Six wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Might actually be time to sell this iPad and get a new one. I had wanted a pro mainly for the form factor - the end-to-end screen. But I see now that the current air model has that too for half the price.

I see that the pro has higher screen res and probably that 120hz thing is what they mean with promotion.

I don’t care jack shit about the cameras I’ll never use.

It’s hard to compare the processors since it’s just a random name devoid of stats.

If cameras literally might not even exist does the pro have much advantage?

The 120hz screen is absolutely gorgeous. It's fast as fuck but I haven't used the air.

I’ve seen it in the store and it really is something but it’s a hike in price difference.

Hmm

I think it might be a thing where it makes sense if you’re going to be creating on it. If you’re going to use it for email and browsing mostly, stick with the air.

I’d like to say I’d create on it but honestly I need a full pc for that because I never just do pen stuff.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The Matt Mercer effect is where new players expect their home game to be just like Critical Role and are disappointed when it's not.

I've never come across it. My players have never expected me to be anything like Mercer, and I don't try to be. I run my game, and try to fit with the players' various preferences as best as possible.

(What most people don't realize is that the players in Critical Role are doing a tremendous amount of the heavy lifting. You want your DM to do that much work? Then the players better get their noses to the grindstone, too)

spool32 wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    well i cracked

but at least i didn't buy the $2200 one

A friend of mine recently won a raffle for a laptop.

They're so uninterested in computers they don't even have internet.

how do you even talk to them

Laserjet meme printouts

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Watching an art video on the round brush and the narrator says he's playing his "old man card" by saying he first started using Photoshop when it looked like *this*

n36lbca7vzjv.png

and haha, that's Photoshop 4 not Photoshop CS 4 and then starts explaining the history of Photoshop.

I am unto dust.

Surfpossum on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Sometimes Twitter mobs get so vicious that it makes me reactionary.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    if having used a program that came out in 1996 makes you old

oh no

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    I remember using Clarisworks!

I used Netscape Navigator!

The lighthouse was elegant, it was a better time

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Twitter mobs

Facebook thugs

Pinterest Dragoons

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    if having used a program that came out in 1996 makes you old

oh no

override367 on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    navgoose wrote: »
    Twitter mobs

Facebook thugs

Pinterest Dragoons

Etsy hashassin

Delivery
    for some reason firefox doesn't play gifvs for me but i know the scene so i don't need it to

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    For Halloween tell your kids scary stories of dial-up internet and corded telephones.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I remember using Clarisworks!

I used Netscape Navigator!

The lighthouse was elegant, it was a better time

I explained Netscape Navigator to customers in the store where I worked.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The Matt Mercer effect is where new players expect their home game to be just like Critical Role and are disappointed when it's not.

I've never come across it. My players have never expected me to be anything like Mercer, and I don't try to be. I run my game, and try to fit with the players' various preferences as best as possible.

(What most people don't realize is that the players in Critical Role are doing a tremendous amount of the heavy lifting. You want your DM to do that much work? Then the players better get their noses to the grindstone, too)

Yeah I’ve played in games with dms that are basically professional gms! And I’m like, dang, you managed to make this 3 hour session with randos at a convention super engaging well done

And I don’t expect to be that good but I do steal whatever I can

Casual Eddy on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    o I see

well when you've got a group of improv actors around a table to play D&D over the course of a few years I guess that's not going to look like your home game, no.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Might actually be time to sell this iPad and get a new one. I had wanted a pro mainly for the form factor - the end-to-end screen. But I see now that the current air model has that too for half the price.

I see that the pro has higher screen res and probably that 120hz thing is what they mean with promotion.

I don’t care jack shit about the cameras I’ll never use.

It’s hard to compare the processors since it’s just a random name devoid of stats.

If cameras literally might not even exist does the pro have much advantage?

The 120hz screen is absolutely gorgeous. It's fast as fuck but I haven't used the air.

I’ve seen it in the store and it really is something but it’s a hike in price difference.

Hmm

I think it might be a thing where it makes sense if you’re going to be creating on it. If you’re going to use it for email and browsing mostly, stick with the air.

I’d like to say I’d create on it but honestly I need a full pc for that because I never just do pen stuff.

I love the pen for note taking, as basic as that is. If I was an actual artist it would be super sweet.

I create stupid videos and tell myself I’ll make music but of course i never do.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Not just that.

People forget Crit Role is a gaming group that had gone on long before the show.

Its a well oiled group that know each other really well and where they can push. While all being professional voice actors. Its not surprise that a group of normal nerds aren't like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I ducking love dnd

Delivery
    my old laptop

i haven't given up on trying to get the factory restore to work

ran some utilities to try and root out corruption

tried to run the restore again, and after an hour and a half of slow but steady progress on the progress bar

it decides it's time to reboot and install windows updates

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Does Critical Role have planned arcs that the players are in on? I don't watch enough behind the scenes stuff to tell.

Delivery
    i really so bad want to play d&d again or star trek adventures

i wish my friends weren't all flakes about keeping a group going

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot

I would do something regular with you if we could get it going

sig.gif
    Instant Pot

I would also.

Delivery

and my axe

since i'm not playing wow classic anymore and raiding four nights a week my evenings are basically free

Delivery
    granted there's still the issue of me going to bed early heh

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I think there are really great takeaways from professional games and then also stuff that just plain doesn't translate

The way I structure how I talk about combat and how I gently encourage my players to remember to roll for things has changed a lot since listening to TAZ and watching talks and youtube videos etc. There's a lot you can do with language and pacing that keeps people more engaged! I think it's kind of to my advantage as a DM that as a player I am very easily bored, especially by combat that takes a long time, and I like never remember the rules unless they are in a very easily accessible format (poor JKosh can attest, as the fact that my computer struggled to read PDFs at the time meant that I just basically Never leveled up my character in his star wars game and never ever kept a working character sheet for her, and that was a game with a seasoned DM that I was paying a lot of attention to and enjoying very much lol). I know I am not an easy player to manage (and I'm getting better about it over time). But I can keep things punchy, time jokes well, understand my audience, put some character into the kobolds they're attacking, etc. etc., remind players of the options they have, place clear choices before them if they're struggling, and "yes,and" or "no,but" as much as possible. It's very high energy but for a game of exclusively people with ADHD it works well lol, and a lot of it I've learned great ways to cope with from seeing how Griffin manages Travis, for example.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Instant Pot
    IRL or Virtual?

Instant Pot
    Militant dice rolling and screaming over obscure rules for me, no thank you kids and your cool interactive adventures.

Instant Pot
    granted there's still the issue of me going to bed early heh

My Gloomhaven group is the worst about this. We do one scenario and it’s 1030 and I’m like, ok guys I’m off. And they always want to do one more.

And I’m the only one without kids!

Instant Pot
    .... Should I buy skyrim on switch

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    lol omg Betelgeuse can you just go supernova already?? god

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Does Critical Role have planned arcs that the players are in on? I don't watch enough behind the scenes stuff to tell.

Depends who you talk to, but I don't think so.

The players have a lot of agency in how their characters develop, but the story is very much Matt Mercer.

Instant Pot
    .... Should I buy skyrim on switch

What other options do you have to play it on?

Instant Pot
    Winky wrote: »
    Didn't it like millions of years ago already

Instant Pot
    Is there a non light dependent unit of time
    Like absolute time

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    How was your day today y'all?

Mine sucked for a dumb reason: COVID is making me depressed.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    Winky wrote: »
    Didn't it like millions of years ago already

It's like 642 lightyears away, so it would be that many years between it happening and us seeing it.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    My game has a player who nearly has a panic attack before every game over a combination of performance anxiety, anxiety over potentially being late (which happens sometimes when they make themself so sick with anxiety that they are too ill to make it on time lol), anxiety over forgetting rules, etc. but they have so much fun and do so well when they get going and they don't want to quit, so, having an ear to the ground for stuff like that.. idk it's really important to my style of DMing. I repeat myself a lot, in different ways, I describe scenes from multiple angles, I make sure the players are nearly always Doing something (even tho I love love love to just describe scenery for 10min lol), I do things in kind of break-out groups one on one pretty frequently, just kind of not giving them room to think haha. It's pretty exhausting but we have a great time and can get a LOT done in a couple of hours.

I've played other games where I could wax poetic about my beautiful milk-bubble cloud-city I built and I do wish I had something slower paced going sometimes.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    navgoose wrote: »
    Twitter mobs

Facebook thugs

Pinterest Dragons

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Tumin wrote: »

Depends who you talk to, but I don't think so.

The players have a lot of agency in how their characters develop, but the story is very much Matt Mercer.

The players routinely COMPLETELY derail matt's carefully prepared plotlines

(spoiled just in case you watch crit role and havent caught up)
    - Laura using Modify Memory to trick a godlike fey into thinking that they'd already agreed on a fey deal to break an unbreakable curse, so the fey broke the curse (matt rolled a 1 and a 2 for the grandmother hag's saves)
    - Travis throwing his hex weapon into lava to break his pact
    - Caduceus sinking an enemy vessel with Control Water
    - The party NOT SIDING WITH THE EMPIRE OF HUMANS IN THE WAR and going off to Xhorhas to forge a peace!
    - Liam giving The Beacon to the Bright Queen

Matt's players have the balls to derail campaigns that I both love and fear my players having

I gotta link the animatic for the first thing I referenced
    https://youtu.be/pKuKQgExiGE

the players were so tense when she said what she was doing (at 4:50) that Marisha Ray fell off her chair

Remember: If a player ever says to a DM "you're no matt mercer", the correct retort is "You're no Laura Bailey"

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.