As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Now they show it off NOW?????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn4XnVSYWLU

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    These are the Lightning from Aeronautica Imperialis. I call this "splatter" camo. The symbol on the left wing is hand painted. There are numbers (1, 2, 3) behind the cockpit to help differentiate the planes. Yes, the symbol on the left wing is glaring. Not well thought out. And, again, sub par pics! AI is done for me. Always nice to get a project done. Thanks for looking.
    pj9hje7azz9n.jpg
    3p4jdojf7x35.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Looking at basing my Space wolves on icy bases since I found a container of clear crackle paint when I was organizing some of my painting area.

What's the process? Paint the base an icy color then add crackle and drybrush? Do you need to add any color to the clear crackle first?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I do a blue wash into the cracks once the crackle paint has dried, and then drybrush white. Normally I use a blue undercoat and I've never felt it necessary to add paint to the crackle medium itself.

Excellent.

I've been agonising over how to base these new indomitus marines... I think crackle paint icy bases might turn out well.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Khraul wrote: »
    Excellent.

I've been agonising over how to base these new indomitus marines... I think crackle paint icy bases might turn out well.

I love me some icy crackle bases.

These ones I did more of a permafrost look on. Lots of dry brushing involves in this one.

I used this video for the permafrost.
    tbcyb191zvgy.jpeg

These ones have the more basic look. Painted the base icy color, then covered it in clear crackle paint, and gave it a dry brush.

ybw354yisgez.jpeg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    That gold is delicious

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2020
    @Stragint

Yes! I knew I'd seen some saucy ice bases in thread.

I'm gonna give this a swing. Thank you

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-wxMeVxU4

might be an idea on how to do an icy base

PSN Fleety2009
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with a dremel? I want to cut some designs into my MDF Necron terrain but I don't know which bits to use.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Stragint wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with a dremel? I want to cut some designs into my MDF Necron terrain but I don't know which bits to use.

See image below. I've used round tips and rounded taper tips before to good success. Biggest advice is PRACTICE. It's going to want to pull in the direction of rotation if you push too hard and it really bites, you'll need a light hand.

Also make sure the material you are cutting is very well secured, you don't want it shooting off or wiggling while you are cutting, and if you are cutting plastic or similar materials make sure the area is super well ventilated, and to give the material time to cool, otherwise it will gall up and clog up the bit.

bd4598ff941790ad24a4d7d0c414b119.gif

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Get eye protection. At a minimum. Had a bunch of cutting Wheels explode on me.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    After doing this guy, I'm heavily considering getting the Crisis Protocol starter because this was actually fun to paint.
    7xpjkzeazoix.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you should probably start up another new game. Perfect time to do it, too.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I forgot about the thousand other unpainted starters I have and will be getting when I'm allowed to pick up my pile of shit

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I endorse MCP. It is fun to paint super heroes. That Venom looks sick.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Thanks, I tried allot of 'fun' new techniques I hadn't tried before.

And it is fun to paint super heroes!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Right, finally got around to the base issue, and a less cluttered photo:
    e7hy3jvdvnyp.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I do really like the Skorpeh Lord model, but I do find it very funny that if you stood behind its left shoulder it couldn't get you. The gun arm blocks the weapon arm, and the gun can't turn far enough because there's a cable limiting its reach.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Necron superior transdimensional cable extenders have this covered.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    He probably spins 360 at the waist.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    In case anyone hasn't seen his work yet, I'd encourage you to check out Marcos Frisoni's YouTube channel. He's easily my favorite painter on YouTube right now. I feel like you learn things from him that you normally wouldn't see without paying hundreds of dollars for a class.

I would place him up there with the likes of Roman Lappat as a painter to learn from if you want to think of miniature painting as more of an art form.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Awwwww yeah.

UjO5P36.png

J on
    edited October 2020
    My, Grandma, what big chain rifles you have!

Dr_Keenbean on
    So nearly all the spray cans are no longer available on GW's page just the new ones
    So new probably smaller cans or?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So nearly all the spray cans are no longer available on GW's page just the new ones
    So new probably smaller cans or?

Likely supply issues

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    That coupled with higher demand due to people having more time at home.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, hundreds of tiny bombs are a PITA to transport at the best of times… this year though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Well the state shuts down again on Friday so I cannot go to the GW store to get more that is why i looked online
    So sigh either I bribe someone to take me on Thursday afternoon or I suffer and wait again

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    You could always go third-party? There's a bunch of people selling GW and Army Painter rattlecans on Amazon.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    pardzh wrote: »
    You could always go third-party? There's a bunch of people selling GW and Army Painter rattlecans on Amazon.

And you likely have several purfluous organs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The permafrost base turned out pretty neat.

It looked completely terrible until the crackle was 100% dry and then drybrushed. Had me a bit worried.
    3de4s472rmf7.jpg
    m3zpipa6utbu.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    pardzh wrote: »

And you likely have several purfluous organs

Most of them are just MSRP, depending on the vendor.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    At some point in the future I will start working on painting my Orks. Their armor color is yellow, and outside of a couple of infantry models (to test how I like various schemes) and the basecoating on a Killtank and a Gorkanaut they are either completely unpainted, or in some instances just primed.

I have a single unused can of GW Averland Sunset spray that I am saving until I have what I feel to be a sufficient amount of Ork vehicles that are ready to paint, because I don't have an airbrush and by god I don't want to have to basecoat Ork vehicles by hand.

However, winter is coming up, so I should probably just start looking into what sort of investment I would need to get an airbrush that I can use indoors instead of buying $20 cans of paint.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I forgot to take pictures of my most recent painted minis before I sent them back to the stream that sent them to me.
    But they showed them off on stream, so I figured I'd share the video here.

At 1:23

Put some paint on The Autocannon Guy From Shadowspear:
    j5ektadd9r1w.jpg
    v68efcdr6wkj.jpg

Fiddled a little bit with my painting process. The result is roughly the same but took about half the time. I think this is how I'll finish the troops.

Are you doing Word Bearers?

Yes and no. I'm gonna use whatever Legion rules I want but they're the general inspiration.

Cross posted from 40k because I spent a month on this and I earned the dopamine
    Knight #2 is complete
    iia5elc000wz.jpg

Arms and other weapons are fully magnetized.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Did I immediately question my decision to paint all those rivets? Absolutely. Turns out a 12 meter robot has a lot of bolts. End result is nice though.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg