As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Tumin wrote: »
    Does Critical Role have planned arcs that the players are in on? I don't watch enough behind the scenes stuff to tell.

Depends who you talk to, but I don't think so.

The players have a lot of agency in how their characters develop, but the story is very much Matt Mercer.

The players routinely COMPLETELY derail matt's carefully prepared plotlines

(spoiled just in case you watch crit role and havent caught up)
    - Laura using Modify Memory to trick a godlike fey into thinking that they'd already agreed on a fey deal to break an unbreakable curse, so the fey broke the curse (matt rolled a 1 and a 2 for the grandmother hag's saves)
    - Travis throwing his hex weapon into lava to break his pact
    - Caduceus sinking an enemy vessel with Control Water
    - The party NOT SIDING WITH THE EMPIRE OF HUMANS IN THE WAR and going off to Xhorhas to forge a peace!
    - Liam giving The Beacon to the Bright Queen

Matt's players have the balls to derail campaigns that I both love and fear my players having

It helps that it's all homebrew.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    Six wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    granted there's still the issue of me going to bed early heh

My Gloomhaven group is the worst about this. We do one scenario and it’s 1030 and I’m like, ok guys I’m off. And they always want to do one more.

And I’m the only one without kids!

Last night we made the mistake of starting a combat for which most of the players are still new to the system at 8:20...

But also I got the chance to go full Karen on some fools, and it was pretty fun. I'm not sure how the other players felt about it, I hope I didn't steam roll too much, but Karen's have no room for anyone besides themselves and the manager.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Critical Role Season 2 spoilers (From probably a year ago):
    I was screaming at the party to take the Beacon back to the Bright Queen from the moment they got it. Liam giving it back was so fucking satisfying for me.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    if having used a program that came out in 1996 makes you old

oh no

I had a windows 3.1 machine in my room growing up

paintbrush 4 lyfe

ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Is there a non light dependent unit of time
    Like absolute time

could probably measure seconds since the big bang?

if we get a supernova I'm taking personal time off and go start up a star cult worshipping the coming of the new star god

ftOqU21.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Like absolute time

isn't there something about vibrating crystals? or is that also light based?

No, speed of light is fundamental to all length or time measurements.

edited October 2020
    Like absolute time

yes, the second :p

Caesium-133 does 9192631770... er... things per second, that's the definition of a second

there isn't any light dependent unit of time

but more interestingly there is no measurement of distance that is independent of time

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I remember using Clarisworks!

I used Netscape Navigator!

The lighthouse was elegant, it was a better time

I explained Netscape Navigator to customers in the store where I worked.

i interviewed for a job in the computer department at Circuit City

they tried to get me to sell CDs instead

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Does Critical Role have planned arcs that the players are in on? I don't watch enough behind the scenes stuff to tell.

The players have a lot of agency in how their characters develop, but the story is very much Matt Mercer.

- Laura using Modify Memory to trick a godlike fey into thinking that they'd already agreed on a fey deal to break an unbreakable curse, so the fey broke the curse (matt rolled a 1 and a 2 for the grandmother hag's saves)
    - The party NOT SIDING WITH THE EMPIRE OF HUMANS IN THE WAR and going off to Xhorhas to forge a peace!

Matt's players have the balls to derail campaigns that I both love and fear my players having

That's the thing though, Matt has arcs and stories planned out literally MONTHS in advance. His season 1 vecna plotline was written all the way back in episode ~23 and didn't come to fruition until 50 weeks later - but Marisha almost blew the lid on it in I wanna say episode 30? She was bout to do something reckless that would have resulted in either a character deletion or a very panicked DM having to describe something meant for the following year right then and there, and potentially stopping a scheme before it started

I'm quite sure that they've diverted big bads 2 or 3 times in the second campaign, which is why most of it has been so "Freeform"

At this point I'm not sure if we can call it homebrew, given that it has two published campaign settings and the most recent one was published by WOTC

override367 on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery
    apparently using an iphone for like ten years hasn't prepared me for understanding how to use a mac

sometimes it's too simple?

trying to install firefox it pops up a window with a firefox icon and an arrow pointing to a folder with an A on it that looks like the app store logo

so i try dragging the firefox icon to the app store logo and that does nothing

turns out in the window that popped up i was supposed to drag the firefox logo to the folder in the window

why didn't you just say that?

apple trying to be too cute

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited October 2020
    apparently using an iphone for like ten years hasn't prepared me for understanding how to use a mac

trying to install firefox it pops up a window with a firefox icon and an arrow pointing to a folder with an A on it that looks like the app store logo

turns out in the window that popped up i was supposed to drag the firefox logo to the folder in the window

I honestly think Windows is more intuitive than Mac at this point, having to support users who've never used windows before and those who've never used a mac before, I have a lot more extensive support calls to the ones that need help Macing

override367 on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There is no absolute measurement of time. Or space. That's relativity.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Instant Pot
    Like absolute time

Vibrating stuff tends to vary with heat, so does radiation decay. Depends what conditions you can get accurately

Light varies with medium but we can say vacuum and except for the problem of gravity (which we can ignore locally) we are all set.

Quartz is the classic cheap, accurate oscillator material for electronics boards, you can get it to vibrate with small variance by running a current through it, good enough for most tech.

Tumin on
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

I gotta link the animatic for the first thing I referenced
    https://youtu.be/pKuKQgExiGE

the players were so tense when she said what she was doing (at 4:50) that Marisha Ray fell off her chair

Remember: If a player ever says to a DM "you're no matt mercer", the correct retort is "You're no Laura Bailey"

hm this has singlehandedly convinced me to try to listen to CR

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delivery

I honestly think Windows is more intuitive than Mac at this point, having to support users who've never used windows before and those who've never used a mac before, I have a lot more extensive support calls to the ones that need help Macing

i have literally needed to google every single thing i've wanted to do since turning on the macbook

i'm sure it'll be fine once i know the system but damn. for a company that puts so much effort into presentation this is inscrutable

Delivery
    also there doesn't seem to be any indication whether ableton is in the process of installing or its doing nothing at all, which is frustrating

have i made a huge mistake

SanderJK wrote: »
    There is no absolute measurement of time. Or space. That's relativity.

I don't think the fuzz meant universal by absolute

ftOqU21.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

the players were so tense when she said what she was doing (at 4:50) that Marisha Ray fell off her chair

Remember: If a player ever says to a DM "you're no matt mercer", the correct retort is "You're no Laura Bailey"

There are so many moments like this. This one in particular stands out because of the sheer player brilliance at work, but CR really delivers the memorable moments.

It also suffers the same thing any D&D stream suffers: Combat can get bogged down and sometimes the players' indecision causes a 40 minute discussion that is super tedious. I rarely watch them live so I tend to 'fast forward' this sometimes.

Nova_C on
    edited October 2020
    Like absolute time

Vibrating stuff tends to vary with heat, so does radiation decay. Depends what conditions you can get accurately

Light varies with medium but we can say vacuum and except for the problem of gravity (which we can ignore locally) we are all set.

Quartz is the classic cheap, accurate oscillator material for electronics boards, you can get it to vibrate with small variance by running a current through it, good enough for most tech.

the speed of light is not the speed of photons through any medium and is not affected by gravity

c is constant

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I say start with campaign 2. It is much more refined and the characters are built from level 1 on. I am listening to campaign 1 now, its good but 2 pulls me in like no other.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Like absolute time

isn't there something about vibrating crystals? or is that also light based?

Move the crystal .9999c and it's not absolute.

That's relativity for you.

Edit - granted in the current frame of reference it should be consistent but 'time' kinda loses meaning at that point.

zagdrob on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    also there doesn't seem to be any indication whether ableton is in the process of installing or its doing nothing at all, which is frustrating

have i made a huge mistake

Since you bought it at Costco like an intellectual you can do what I did when I bought a MacBook Pro earlier this year and just take it back.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited October 2020
    now I'm watching clips

https://youtu.be/pNYIih2C8aI

sometimes Matt Mercer just decides to break his players

a thing he absolutely does is create literally dozens of characters with voices, personalities, everything ready to go - and just plugs them in when his players decide to go into a random building or whatever, which is a thing you can do when DMing is your job

override367 on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Instant Pot
    joshgotro wrote: »

That's the thing though, Matt has arcs and stories planned out literally MONTHS in advance. His season 1 vecna plotline was written all the way back in episode ~23 and didn't come to fruition until 50 weeks later - but Marisha almost blew the lid on it in I wanna say episode 30? She was bout to do something reckless that would have resulted in either a character deletion or a very panicked DM having to describe something meant for the following year right then and there, and potentially stopping a scheme before it started

I'm quite sure that they've diverted big bads 2 or 3 times in the second campaign, which is why most of it has been so "Freeform"

At this point I'm not sure if we can call it homebrew, given that it has two published campaign settings and the most recent one was published by WOTC

Yeah. Plans change. All evidence points towards Matt knowing what his players are doing is more important than what he planned for them.

Him publishing his homebrew is just smart business.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Delivery

As a not at all impartial observer, I've found the issue is often that Windows doesn't really provide much help, but also doesn't usually say no, Apple tried to help with everything, but also everything has to be done in very specific ways, which makes it harder.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The SI unit for time isn't based on light, 1 second is the time it takes for 9,192,631,770 unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transitios of a caesium-133 atom.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Like absolute time

Caesium-133 does 9192631770... er... things per second, that's the definition of a second

but more interestingly there is no measurement of distance that is independent of time

Time itself is a measure of distance.

nibXTE7.png
    it's "stuff" - it's expressed in hertz so we say vibrations but it's not vibrations it's some... quantum bullshit - that the caesium-133 atom does that defines the second

but it could be lots of other things, point is, yes, there are stuff that happens that can be measured that have nothing to do with the speed of light

(relativity just means it only applies in the local frame of reference, the speed you move the atom doesn't matter - we're not considering anything else, just measuring local time, so it doesn't have a speed)

ftOqU21.png
    whatever that means

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Like absolute time

Time itself is a measure of distance.

Other way around.

ftOqU21.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Twitter mobs

Facebook thugs

Pinterest Dragoons

Livejournal Jannisaries

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    is livejournal still alive?

for that matter, what... really was livejournal?

ftOqU21.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    Aioua wrote: »
    The SI unit for time isn't based on light, 1 second is the time it takes for 9,192,631,770 unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transitios of a caesium-133 atom.

This wasn't discovered until John Moschitta learned to count.

nibXTE7.png

iirc, of all things, Russia owns it now

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Idk it rhymes

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Instant Pot
    Some Russian company owns livejournal now.

nibXTE7.png
    Instant Pot
    And it was basically for people too lazy to set up a Geocities or Angelfire site.

nibXTE7.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    now I'm watching clips

a thing he absolutely does is create literally dozens of characters with voices, personalities, everything ready to go - and just plugs them in when his players decide to go into a random building or whatever, which is a thing you can do when DMing is your job

Why does this look like it was filmed in the early to mid 90s

Like I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I'm just having flashbacks over here

edited October 2020
    now I'm watching clips

Why does this look like it was filmed in the early to mid 90s

Like I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I'm just having flashbacks over here

you've got a point there it really does

I wonder if that's intentional editing or it just came out like that

(it's the editing of this youtoober, critical role itself looks like this:

https://youtu.be/REyVoebe06E

(that episode)

edit: as in, the show is mostly both sides of the table + dm on fixed camera, that video with its frenetic editing has a real 90s tv vibe, yeah)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.