As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Me and the boys tried to play Comp but as expected it was full to the brim with sweat
    https://youtu.be/bekxqEZwmPA
    Kinda wish they would add a crouch cool down to deal with people specifically like this

And that's not even the worst match, which was a team of mountaintops being toxic as fuck

I hate crouch-spam so much.

With no offense to Jay, it’s less crouch spam and that he engaged while still recovering.

I’m guilty af doing this all the time too.

I think he's talking about the first engagement anyway.

It's not even close to the worst crouch-spam I've seen anyway. Likely because it's harder to really get that shit going without a keyboard or macros.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Me and the boys tried to play Comp but as expected it was full to the brim with sweat
    Kinda wish they would add a crouch cool down to deal with people specifically like this

And that's not even the worst match, which was a team of mountaintops being toxic as fuck

With no offense to Jay, it’s less crouch spam and that he engaged while still recovering.

That's not the part that riled me, I pushed in anger over the crouch spam. In about 2 seconds, the guy slide around the corner, turned 45° to face me, crouched 2-3 times rapid fire (If you pause the video my reticle is right over his head on the first crouch, the second crouch send the auto aim flying upward, causing me to miss. Also, flinch.). The real answer is to put on an Auto Rifle and just do it back to them, but I don't have a Turbo button/spam macro or whatever the fuck they have to do it that fast.

Honestly it's more effective on console because of the way auto aim works and drags your cursor around. I'd have landed atleast a body shot without it.

So while crouch spam isnt a cheap tactic in say, a fighting game, it is in a game where aim is constantly moving or working against you in high tensity moments. It only comes up in high tier play

Also, I'm on console, so lower frames means less time to read their movements

Local H Jay on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The main reason for me that crouch spam on consoles sucks is that to do it properly, you need to either change your control setup significantly to put the button on something you can spam (like L3/R3), or you have to shell out $150+ for a controller with paddles on the backside.

Trying to retrain your brain/hands to use a new scheme sucks, at least for me, but every time I see crouch spam here, or in something like apex (where its far, far worse), I just assume I'm against some asshole with a scuff/elite controller.

Other much more tactical games felt the need to remove it because it just feels like shit to play against. You can say its skillful or whatever, but it adds an element I wish was absent from the game.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I figured the way they moved they were using a XIM or similar.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I figured the way they moved they were using a XIM or similar.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I consider XIM to be straight-up cheating.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Tbh I never considered alternate controllers since I just use a standard. Does explain a lot.

Shamus on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    You don’t need a scuff to do it, especially now with destiny letting you custom map. I put jump on left button and duck on right for full mobility without needing to move my fingers off the sticks

The problem is I did buy back buttons for ps4 and still haven’t gotten used to them.

And I don’t think I’ll have them on new Xbox

616610-1.png

That's not the part that riled me, I pushed in anger over the crouch spam. In about 2 seconds, the guy slide around the corner, turned 45° to face me, crouched 2-3 times rapid fire (If you pause the video my reticle is right over his head on the first crouch, the second crouch send the auto aim flying upward, causing me to miss. Also, flinch.). The real answer is to put on an Auto Rifle and just do it back to them, but I don't have a Turbo button/spam macro or whatever the fuck they have to do it that fast.

Honestly it's more effective on console because of the way auto aim works and drags your cursor around. I'd have landed atleast a body shot without it.

So while crouch spam isnt a cheap tactic in say, a fighting game, it is in a game where aim is constantly moving or working against you in high tensity moments. It only comes up in high tier play

Geez, I'd never considered how bad that might fuck with aim-assist on top of the normal annoyance.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    You don’t need a scuff to do it, especially now with destiny letting you custom map. I put jump on left button and duck on right for full mobility without needing to move my fingers off the sticks

The problem is I did buy back buttons for ps4 and still haven’t gotten used to them.

I've had one since launch and I mostly use them to rez while still fighting. Not really a pvp'er though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I actually have the Titan shirt (and it is comfy and nice and I am happy with my purchase). Their shipping costs are absurd though.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Talking of frames - would playing on a series X at 60fps offer any advantage over people playing at 30 FPS ?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

NGL if you're on an Xbox you owe it to yourself to get an Elite controller. Paddles are life.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Welp, I bought the mask and I eventually couldn't help myself.

vmXCWrGh.png
    "Hey sis! Say cheese!"
    "Huh? 'Sis'?"
    "Oh, I didn't share those logs I fou...no, uh, nevermind! Happy Festival Of The Lost! Gotta go, another Protocol's starting!"
    "Hey, wait, what logs?!"

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

NGL if you're on an Xbox you owe it to yourself to get an Elite controller. Paddles are life.
    Making the switch! Do they have elite controllers for the new xboxes?

616610-1.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Peen wrote: »

Making the switch! Do they have elite controllers for the new xboxes?

They ones they’re selling right now (Series 2) will work on the new Xbox.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’ll never be able to play Xbox again without paddles

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Looks like all the Destiny 2 next gen optimizations aren't coming until December 8th, we'll still have faster load times and crossgen play, but 60fps and 4k is waiting until 12/8.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49650

Also they're finally adding fov sliders on console

Kanden on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The Next Generation of Destiny

Really love that they have to clarify this:
    There will be noticeable improvements to things like loading the game and inspecting character inventory. However, some load times are dependent on networking and matchmaking. So, loading activities still takes time while you search for opponents.

But praise be to the FoV slider!

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Why are the emotes not in the right order. Why.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    rndmhero wrote: »

More importantly: why is the Hunter emoji a bow and not a knife? Everybody uses bows!

I have the Warlock shirt. It's a good shirt. More fitted than the "Help Australia Stop Being On Fire All The Time" charity shirt.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

More importantly: why is the Hunter emoji a bow and not a knife? Everybody uses bows!

Everybody uses arms too

But it’s a bow because Hunters have best bow, one which shoots tether arrows

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Kanden wrote: »
    Looks like all the Destiny 2 next gen optimizations aren't coming until December 8th, we'll still have faster load times and crossgen play, but 60fps and 4k is waiting until 12/8.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49650

Also they're finally adding fov sliders on console

That's a little disappointing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I was under the impression the version we'd be playing launch day is the Backwards Compat version until the proper next gen one gets released, much like Cyberpunk

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I was under the impression the version we'd be playing launch day is the Backwards Compat version until the proper next gen one gets released, much like Cyberpunk

yeah i think they had said that the next gen update would be dropping later this year after the consoles launch. 8th of December isn't that bad especially with PS5 launching towards the end of November in a lot of places.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Deej is leaving Bungie, last day November 6th

TWAB with raid info, opening November 21:

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/49649

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Raid drops Nov 21st, challenge mode caps PL at 1230.

Some inferences from that:

Last encounter of the raid is 1250.
    Which means the powerful cap is 1250.
    Which means the pinnacle cap is likely 1260.

1200 is likely the new soft cap.
    140ish PLs to gain in the new campaign and through play before you want to get powerfuls. Another 30PL to be at max for challenge or 50PL to be at parity for the final encounter.

Compare this to Shadowkeep, where we all started at 750, had to gain 150PLs to hit soft cap, then another 20 PLs to hit max level for challenge. Or 40 to be at parity for the final encounter. And this all had to be done in one very short week.

Now we have two weeks, to get ~10 more PL than was needed for Shadowkeep. This is a 275% increase in time to grind, with only an average of 133% increase in power to grind. If levelling is unchanged, then this is a HUGE step in the right direction as it gives non-poopsockers time to get ready and experience the raid blind.

This all sounds very good, I’m ready to raid.

Also, lol
    This year, the ritual for naming the winners will be different. Following all the immediate fanfare and bustle that follows the checkered flag, our data scientists will be spending extra time validating the finishing team's run. Expect the official announcement for “World First” to come a bit later than usual. Disqualifications can happen as per the official rules. So finish strong, even if you hear rumors of another team’s victory.

With all the cheating happening in Destiny and God-mode hacks showing up in trials, they’re gonna make sure they avoid the embarrassment of having a day 1 cheating champion.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You also have to assume that they'll have a few people detailed to watching all the high profile streams and almost everyone else watching as many of the smaller streams as they can manage, just to try to catch anything hokey that way.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I didn't even see DeeJ's announcement at the end of rhe TWAB until I saw his Twitter, man, end of an era

Crippl3 on

Also, lol
    This year, the ritual for naming the winners will be different. Following all the immediate fanfare and bustle that follows the checkered flag, our data scientists will be spending extra time validating the finishing team's run. Expect the official announcement for “World First” to come a bit later than usual. Disqualifications can happen as per the official rules. So finish strong, even if you hear rumors of another team’s victory.

With all the cheating happening in Destiny and God-mode hacks showing up in trials, they’re gonna make sure they avoid the embarrassment of having a day 1 cheating champion.

Well, another anyway. Wasn't it Last Wish where they were exploiting something or other to gain levels faster?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Also, lol

Well, another anyway. Wasn't it Last Wish where they were exploiting something or other to gain levels faster?

Yes, and still missed the day 1 clear.

It was the thing where if you didn't pick up primes but let them postmaster it didn't really count them as having dropped or something like that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm very unhappy that we aren't getting the next-gen optimization patch until December. I was hoping that 4K/60 Destiny 2 would be something I could dive into on week 1 of next-gen.

Oh well. I'll just have to be patient. "Less than a month" is better than "2021."

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    *laughs in PC*

Nosf wrote: »
    *laughs in PC*

Everything's easier on PC, including cheating :wonk:

I don't trials, so in all honestly I've never seen obvious cheating on PC. I feel like I lead a pretty charmed life when it comes to Destiny I think; I see people here go on and on about how bad IB is but I solo through it when I do play and rarely do I just get pubstomp after pubstomp. I do see runaway games from time to time absolutely, but I'm on the winning team as often as the losing team - or so it feels like, and those runaway games aren't the norm by any means.

• DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    Every time I think someone might have cheated I get so disappointed there aren't death replays like in other FPS games.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm definitely curious what my laggy arse looks like from other player's perspectives - sometimes i'll shoot someone cleanly, and they then die a good half second to a second later as the game works out "Shit, that penguin dood is in nz". Results in a fair amount of kills where i've seen someone get behind cover and THEN die to my shots, or died from someone shooting me the same. and a lot ofm utual kills.

On a different note, i got a personal milestone last night: 10 kills in one life during a control match. Including shutting down a roaming super with a well timed bastion burst.

God i love bastion. What's that, titan? you wanna hide behind yer barricade? The gun says no.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'm very unhappy that we aren't getting the next-gen optimization patch until December. I was hoping that 4K/60 Destiny 2 would be something I could dive into on week 1 of next-gen.

Oh well. I'll just have to be patient. "Less than a month" is better than "2021."

Me too. I’ve just ordered Assassins Creed Valhalla, so I’ve got something to play in full 60fps/4K glory on day 1. Plus it looks great.