As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I thought The Favourite was good but ultimately kind of empty. Dogtooth on the other hand is fantastic and really disturbing. Haven't seen The Lobster yet, but The Killing of a Sacred Deer is next on my list.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The Ritual is a great horror movie on Netflix too!

This one flew under the radar but it's absolutely worth watching, if only for
    the tremendously good creature design. Even seeing the silhouette of the fucking thing is unsettling.

Better than the Annihilation bear?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I loved the favorite as did my gf.

In other news watching election right now as my gf has never seen it. Imo it's an underated gem. Great acting, hilarious scenes, and sucker punches throughout. Very dry humor at times but I just love it.

It's on pluto tv which I just heard about in the streaming thread. Didn't have to create an account and there's commercials, but there's a lot free tv and movies there. Gonna be checking out their horror line up later for Halloween season.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Election is a masterpiece. Probably Matthew Broderick's best film, certainly Chris Klein's, and easily in Reese Witherspoon's top 5.

Second funniest bee-sting in a movie too, after My Girl.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Election is a masterpiece. Probably Matthew Broderick's best film, certainly Chris Klein's, and easily in Reese Witherspoon's top 5.

I can never not root for the third candidate.

"Don't vote at all!"

And her friend did her dirty. At least she had the happiest ending.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

the tremendously good creature design. Even seeing the silhouette of the fucking thing is unsettling.

Not to hype it up too much, but I'd be tempted to say yes?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Not to hype it up too much, but I'd be tempted to say yes?

Welp, I might watch this

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bob Barker should play the next James Bond villain.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

"Don't vote at all!"

I always kind of rooted for her, and thought she got what she wanted, but never realized until now, yes, there is one happy ending to this story. Every one else's sucks. Even flick isn't the greatest of all endings.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Bob Barker should play the next James Bond villain.

And now we're back to Adam sandler and the best bob barker performance ever.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    RickRude wrote: »

"Don't vote at all!"

I always kind of rooted for her, and thought she got what she wanted, but never realized until now, yes, there is one happy ending to this story. Every one else's sucks. Even flick isn't the greatest of all endings.

I like to think Flick basically became Kellyanne Conway. (She's clearly carousing with R- candidates, and of course she is, she wants power and money.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

"Don't vote at all!"

I like to think Flick basically became Kellyanne Conway. (She's clearly carousing with R- candidates, and of course she is, she wants power and money.)

Omg you are so right. Gonna tell my gf this when she gets back from the store. She absolutely loved the movie and I could totally see her becoming kelly anne

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Just watched it, it was pretty fun, thanks!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    ... I'm trying to imagine a Netflix film category that would include The Lobster and The Favourite and coming up blank. Maybe "Difficult to Categorize".
    "Greek Weird", or perhaps just "Lanthimos".

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The monster in the Ritual is probably top 10 movie monsters. The movie is serviceable but the monster is entirely fantastic

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Favourite is probably the most mainstrem Lanthimos by a wide margin. Also his first movie that he didn't write himself, I think. It's much easier to watch than the rest of his movies.

Also Alps, the one he did after Dogtooth always seems to get overlooked.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The Favourite is probably the most mainstrem Lanthimos by a wide margin. Also his first movie that he didn't write himself, I think. It's much easier to watch than the rest of his movies.

Also Alps, the one he did after Dogtooth always seems to get overlooked.

Did any other Lanthimos films win Oscars?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Looks like Dogtooth was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and The Lobster for Best Original Screenplay, two of the categories where it's easier for original, challenging, decidedly non-Academy Awards work to get an Oscars nod. Even though The Favourite was the most mainstream Lanthimos film, I was surprised to see it getting so much love from the Academy, because it's miles away from what usually gets Oscars recognition. You don't get much more anti-Oscars than Lanthimos.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

In other news watching election right now as my gf has never seen it. Imo it's an underated gem. Great acting, hilarious scenes, and sucker punches throughout. Very dry humor at times but I just love it.

It's on pluto tv which I just heard about in the streaming thread. Didn't have to create an account and there's commercials, but there's a lot free tv and movies there. Gonna be checking out their horror line up later for Halloween season.

If you do choose to register it unlocks even more channels.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    So a while back, Simon Barrett(screenwriter of You're Next and The Guest) joked about doing a contest to give away posters. I suggested that he should do a trivia contest instead.

He decided to just send me the poster anyway.
    EkSxoU4X0AEU3oH?format=jpg
    Also, bonus:
    EkSxpjsX0AA5Rza?format=jpg&name=small

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Wait, I just noticed what you said. Second funniest bee sting after my girl !?!? That scene made me cry as a kid :(

• Options

If you do choose to register it unlocks even more channels.

I didn't even see an option to register. Really glad people pointed this app out. Noticed there's even a western channel it seemed, which my dad would love. He just dropped directv and used to watch westerns all day. I'll have to look into it

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Wait, I just noticed what you said. Second funniest bee sting after my girl !?!? That scene made me cry as a kid :(

He needs his glasses he can't see without his glasses!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

giphy.gif

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

His name is Schadenfreude, dude.

Or should I say...

...deude

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Crossposting from the [Spooks] thread
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42966696/#Comment_42966696
    Well, my Spooktober viewing has gotten underway. Looks like Ireland is barrelling headlong into another lockdown and Hallowe'en is effectively cancelled so I've ordered a shitload of Blu-Ray's and intend to watch them all!

First on the list was Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963). I really enjoyed this. It's a simple ghost story about an anthropologist who wants to prove that ghosts exist so invites a mentally ill woman (and others) to a supposedly haunted manor. The main event is Julie Harris's performance as a woman who is desperate for something to actually happen to her, but the supporting cast (including a young Russ Tamblyn and the original Miss Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell) are fun, the sets are great and there's some excellent kinetic camerawork. There's a section near the end of the movie that had to have inspired Sam Raimi.

Great film. Not scary.

Next on the agenda was The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949) on Disney Plus - specifically the second half, a twenty-five minute retelling of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow with songs and narration by Bing Crosby. This is a Hallowe'en classic that I've watched every year since I was a kid. It's funny, got great tunes and its Headless Horseman is legit terrifying. If you have twenty-five minutes then do yourself a favour and give it a watch.

Great cartoon. Sorta scary.

And finally we watched Nic Roeg's Don't Look Now (1973) starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie based on Daphne du Maurier's short story. This is a strange film - the title makes it sound like B-movie schlock, and a certain element of the conclusion is b-movie schlock but really what it is is a drama, mostly set in beautiful Venice, about grieving parents trying to get over the death of their daughter - complicated when Christie runs into a blind psychic. The movie is notorious for its opening, its ending, and the love scene between Christie and Sutherland which was rumoured to be unsimulated (it's not). The most terrifying thing about this film is the standards of health and safety on Italian building sites in the 1970s (spoiler! There wasn't any!).

Amazing film! Not scary. Unsettling and kind of weird though.

Next up is Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse (2019), which I know isn't strictly speaking a horror movie but between a fresh baby and Coronavirus I never got around to seeing it and the VVitch is one of my favourite films so looking forward to it.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ...huh. I never really looked at the casting for Aliens much, so TIL Vasquez was played by the same actress that played the foster mom in Terminator 2. That is a creepily impressive makeup job!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    ...huh. I never really looked at the casting for Aliens much, so TIL Vasquez was played by the same actress that played the foster mom in Terminator 2. That is a creepily impressive makeup job!

She's such a good actress she was on ER twice having played two different characters. When they had her in the for the second character she remarked she'd already been on once and they had no idea.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Are there any horror movies where the hideous killer goes about the usual killing but then stumbles across someone worse and is himself killed? The Friday the 13th movie where Jason fights Carrie comes to mind but is there something maybe less supernatural? The last Predator movie semi-fits where a Predator is hunted and killed by an even bigger Predator.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Are there any horror movies where the hideous killer goes about the usual killing but then stumbles across someone worse and is himself killed? The Friday the 13th movie where Jason fights Carrie comes to mind but is there something maybe less supernatural? The last Predator movie semi-fits where a Predator is hunted and killed by an even bigger Predator.

That's kind of the premise of most revenge movies.

Like that's what Joh Wick 1 is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

There's a korean movie called I Saw The Devil which follows what you want, in a serial killer kills a korean CIA's fiancee and the guy snaps and tortures the killer.

• Options

From Dusk Till Dawn ?

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Check out Kill List from 2007.

Not quite what you describe, but I think you might enjoy it.

Special K on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

Check out Kill List from 2007.

Not quite what you describe, but I think you might enjoy it.

That’s the setup for Pitch Black.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Don't Breathe?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Don't Breathe?

I feel like Cabin in the Woods fits that description. The monsters killing people aren't the "monsters" running the show, then end up running afoul of the actual monsters.

Sort of just monsters all the way down.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-agrees-end-paramount-consent-decrees-1306387
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-says-cash-resources-to-be-largely-depleted-by-end-of-2020-or-early-2021
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/193140/revenue-of-the-walt-disney-company-by-operating-segment/

With the 2 biggest theater chains closed indefinitely and spiraling down the drain, I think it's safe to say that the current theater model is dead. Neither Regal or AMC have the cash on hand to stay in business through the end of COVID. This isn't going to be over by the end of the year. It's probably not going to be over next year. In steps Pappa Disney and Ma Bell. If US v. Paramount is thrown out, it opens the door for the movie theater experience to be reinvented. Before Covid theme parks were Disney's #1 money maker to the tune of $26.7 billion. The closest AT&T is to that sweet sweet tourist money is a majority stake in 6 Flags. Either company could buy out one or both of the big 2 theater chains with cash on hand. AT&T and Disney both have the revenue to keep theaters (and parks) closed until COVID is done and dusted. They also have the cash to completly reinvest the theater experience wait they wait. I think it's not unlikely that we will see a Disney reengineer movie theaters into mini amusement parks. Theaters have already been going in that direction. With IMAX, RPX, rumbling seats and 3d, you could be forgiven for thinking it wasn't the plan all along. COVID just ended up being the match that lit the fire. When theaters are ready to reopen, we could see some of them emerge with that trademark "Disney Magic" and only show Disney movies.

I don't think I like where this is going either. Back in the heyday of MoviePass I was going every week. I watched movies I would have never seen otherwise and loved it. They had fancy leather recliners. I could usually pick a showing that wasn't packed. Regal was showering me in club rewards so that about every other movie I got a free popcorn. It revitalized my love for the cinema. I liked the movie theater experience. Especially since you could pick your seat and all the seats were comfy leather recliners. But now that's all gone and I'm going to miss it. At best we'll get AT&T or Disneyfied mini parks that are less about movies and more about the attractions. At worst theaters will be dead and streaming will fully take over. The next few years will at least be interesting in the movie theater business.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Law Abiding Citizen
    Taken

All the dad revenge movies are basically that.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I believe you're going to see a strong resurgence of drive-ins and small theaters, not even the restaurant cinemas but just classy small theaters that play bigger movies instead of the arty farty movies. Nice, clean simple theaters, almost the size of the mall cinemas, 6 screen classatoriums, not 24 screen shit kicker 69Xperiences.

In general I think you're going to see a lot of mid tier movies come back too like in the 80's and early 90's, because throwing 30 milly at a movie and just making double or triple back will look good instead of 200 milly blockbusters that people were already getting sick of before this shit happened.

TexiKen on
  • Options

You know what, You're Next totally counts.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.