As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Three new Ashe voicelines, but it sounds lighter than Jennifer Hale's voice, I wonder if they sneaky snake replaced her.

Werewolf Winston and Ragdoll Echo look the best of the skins.

They probably just recycled some of her outtakes or something.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Yeeeah, Baptiste ult + McCree ult just literally vaporizes the entire field.

As in like, "It's hiiigh DRAW" and the last wave on Hard was dead approximately 2 seconds after spawning.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Soldier change is 100% in on PS4.

Smurfy soldier times tonight.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I open a fight with a triple kill death blossom, and die after they blow every cool down.

My team loses the 5v3.

Somehow I get blamed for not killing everyone.

I hate this game sometimes.

Like, I doubled the other dps’ dmg and kills while getting zero healing from our Moira (who focused tanks) and our Reddit lucio (who fed in to start every fight).

How in fuck’s name am I supposed to do more than that? I’ve won every game tonight that didn’t have a leaver or thrower but am neutral on SR because half my games involve a thrower or leaver on my team.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I open a fight with a triple kill death blossom, and die after they blow every cool down.

My team loses the 5v3.

based on your posts it seems like you hate this game all the time.

like correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you only ever come in here to complain about your teammates or how the game is bullshit. i have to assume you like playing the game considering how long you've been a part of this thread, but boy does it seem like you have nothing but bad things to say about it!

My team loses the 5v3.

like correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you only ever come in here to complain about your teammates or how the game is bullshit. i have to assume you like playing the game considering how long you've been a part of this thread, but boy does it seem like you have nothing but bad things to say about it!

I’ve posted before about this, but I generally vent here instead of ingame to avoid tilting teammates.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

My team loses the 5v3.

I’ve posted before about this, but I generally vent here instead of ingame to avoid tilting teammates.

i think that's totally fair, and obviously i'm not a mod so i'm not in a position to tell anyone anything

but it would be awesome if folks (you're definitely not the only one) tried to balance out all that venting with at least a little bit of positivity re: their experience with the game

i know it's not all roses and sunshine, but the point of this thread is to share our love of the game itself right? even if not every experience is great? surely among all your shit matches you've had a few with moments worthy of sharing to make the rest of us feel good about all the time we've wasted in this utterly meaningless activity?

Houk the Namebringer on
    I’ve said it many times, but there’s a great game in here. But when my Dva is randomly firing into a rein shield and getting demeched all game instead of going after the high ground hanzo who is murdering everyone, it feels like absolute shit.

I have started subbing in for a friend’s team which is super fun and got me back into playing. So I’m trying to grind certain heroes but it’s nearly impossible to learn anything when my teammates scream racial epithets instead of responding to call outs.

For example, last game I asked “Dva could you challenge hanzo high ground?” And he replied by saying my username in a racist way and chanting build the wall.

Like, I can hold my own in mid to high masters scrims (even carrying occasionally) but am hard stuck in gold on this account.

Again, my playstyle is to facilitate and call out (which I’m good at). So I’m peeling, providing info, etc, but at this ELO, my teammates usually shit themselves and react in the dumbest possible way.

edited October 2020
    right but like, surely you've had some matches where you feel good at the end, like your team played well and you had fun? all i'm saying is it would be cool to share some of those stories too, instead of using the thread only to complain about how much playing Overwatch sucks

anyway, this also isn't helping so i'll stop now. time to get back to getting my boxes for the week.

Houk the Namebringer on
    right but like, surely you've had some matches where you feel good at the end, like your team played well and you had fun? all i'm saying is it would be cool to share some of those stories too, instead of using the thread only to complain about how much playing Overwatch sucks

anyway, this also isn't helping so i'll stop now. time to get back to getting my boxes for the week.

Fair enough.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I stopped playing Overwatch on a regular basis entirely precisely because I was basically chasing the high of being able to play the game at a level where everything just clicked. But most of the time it doesn't click (and it often does the opposite of clicking) and combined with the toxicity of the players at that moment the miserable experiences are all that are remembered.

The high was even greater in Competitive mode but since I'm not the kind of player who pivots easily to other heroes when one is made obsolete, I just let it go. But not before spending almost a thousand combined hours thinking I could get good at it. The biggest bamboozling that's been ever done on me in any videogame I've ever played.

But hey, I'll probably get back in for some Halloween event games, won't ever say no to PvE

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I've said it before but I don't think a team based game can be fun in pub matches when you are constantly scrutinizing the quality of your teammates' play. That's just a recipe for frustration. Many of them are going to mess up regularly - so do your enemies, and so do you. The best thing you can do is to focus on your own play and decision-making, given what you have to work with. Don't expect the perfect game in pubs.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There is a growing sense of player malaise and people just dicking around because they know they won't be punished for sabotage and leaving games and the balance stuff kind of stopped halfway through for a month. I liken it to a store that knows it's going to go out of business soon but hasn't yet, the inventory isn't being replenished and the employees don't really care and put the minimal effort in. Way to go Staples I mean Blizzard. On 2CP now the defending team won't even try and everyone leaves or does no defending at all, allowing 90 second speed runs to win the game just so you can move on to the next map.

On console, this new 76 change is way too strong, he basically recoils straight up to critical hit territory because no spread and just a slight touch of the joystick keeps his aim in place. He can keep it but you have to take 2 off his damage easily.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It sounds like they need to make the recoil different. Give it some horizontal movement as well.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yeah i ground thru 6 losses in a row yesterday where i had one game where there was a literal orisa going off the map, another one where i had shock (rank 17 btw) running it down failing hook combos as hog on the flank on junkertown another one where somebody dced at the same time as the game patched so he couldnt rejoin because the client forced him to patch but in the end i air duelled a pharah, slang some cheetos and had a good time

i also sent the witch an apology email so she woudl remove the curse

ur team mates are malfunctioning ai sent by jeff to assassinate u its just how it is once u have accepted this eternal truth u can get on with inting in the backline in peace. if u get a game where they communicate and play well thats nice but normally its just jumping around shooting bombs and enjoying explosion and bright colour

obF2Wuw.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah the fact that his recoil is completely vertical means that as long as you've played like any other shooter the gun is silly easy to control.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i can't believe they put the soldier changes in as is. he clearly is way too powerful as is. They should have cut his ammo, not increase it....

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i mean soldier was kind of regarded as a joke pick before this change and his weaknesses still remain viz he loses to well played snipers, has no vertical mobility, relies on helix burst and has no disengage

i havent run into any soldiers so far who have seemed particularly outta control but who knows

obF2Wuw.png
    They said from the start their intention was to buff Soldier. And they did end up nerfing his damage by 1.

There is a growing sense of player malaise and people just dicking around because they know they won't be punished for sabotage and leaving games and the balance stuff kind of stopped halfway through for a month. I liken it to a store that knows it's going to go out of business soon but hasn't yet, the inventory isn't being replenished and the employees don't really care and put the minimal effort in. Way to go Staples I mean Blizzard. On 2CP now the defending team won't even try and everyone leaves or does no defending at all, allowing 90 second speed runs to win the game just so you can move on to the next map.

I play QP and have never seen anything like this. Not everybody is good at the game or makes smart picks, and occasionally there's a steamroll, but almost everybody is legitimately trying. I don't know why Competitive is so toxic but it seems like nobody here who plays it is having a good time.

• Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Blizzard: "Why don't people want to play tank ever!?"
    Also Blizzard: "For all our biggest hyped up events, against AIs where you can fuck around and learn characters in a low pressure environment, nobody is allowed to play any tanks. Ever. Fuck all tanks."

Blizzard: People are bored with the meta, what should we do? Limit # of tanks.
    Also Blizzard: People say tanks are unfun to play, what should we do? Nerf all the tanks and buff hog. Wait no, nerf hog too.

Trojan35 on
    edited October 2020
    Zek wrote: »

I play QP and have never seen anything like this. Not everybody is good at the game or makes smart picks, and occasionally there's a steamroll, but almost everybody is legitimately trying. I don't know why Competitive is so toxic but it seems like nobody here who plays it is having a good time.

if it helps, I play comp pretty much exclusively (mainly because I like playing both sides of a map) and my experience is vastly, vastly more positive than negative. I still enjoy the hell out of this game!

(that being said, I did have a self-admitted Tracer smurf in one game last night that ruined it for everyone, but all the other games were pretty much great!)

I don't play any other online competitive games so maybe it's just the nature of the beast, but yeah this thread tends to get super negative and it's kind of a bummer!

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2020

In QP, when more than one person throws on defense, the consequences are over in about 60 seconds and a new match starts. If you're in a shit situation with assholes, you can just leave, which in itself collapses the garbage situation even faster.

In comp, you're hostage to the assholes. Even if someone straight up leaves, you're still trapped for at least two minutes, forced to stew in the garbage situation you've been placed in. Possibly quite a bit more. Pretty sure I shared the story a month or two back about one person on the other team leaving, which then resulted in three more leaving, but because of when they left and my own team being dicks, I was trapped in that shit situation for about 10 minutes.

Side note: I ran into the most bizarre thrower I've ever seen the other day. Chose Genji, walked straight into the enemy, then AFKed in spawn the rest of the match. When called out and our team was saying to report them, said something along the lines of "I can't play on keybored. Don't blame me. It's not supposed to be keybored. I can't play on keybored." Yes, spelled that way. No, I have no fucking idea what the fuck he was on about.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

In QP, when more than one person throws on defense, the consequences are over in about 60 seconds and a new match starts. If you're in a shit situation with assholes, you can just leave, which in itself collapses the garbage situation even faster.

In comp, you're hostage to the assholes. Even if someone straight up leaves, you're still trapped for at least two minutes, forced to stew in the garbage situation you've been placed in. Possibly quite a bit more. Pretty sure I shared the story a month or two back about one person on the other team leaving, which then resulted in three more leaving, but because of when they left and my own team being dicks, I was trapped in that shit situation for about 10 minutes.

Side note: I ran into the most bizarre thrower I've ever seen the other day. Chose Genji, walked straight into the enemy, then AFKed in spawn the rest of the match. When called out and our team was saying to report them, said something along the lines of "I can't play on keybored. Don't blame me. It's not supposed to be keybored. I can't play on keybored." Yes, spelled that way. No, I have no fucking idea what the fuck he was on about.

They were probably just bored.

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sigma is still too strong, all I see now is Sigma/Zarya or Sigma/Hog with an occasional Sigma/Orisa. He's been meta since he was introduced, and you can't have offtank damage with a shield AND a good ult. At least try cutting the shield length in half or cut his primary in half.

I'd say Zarya needs to be looked at but with her I would just reduce the distance she can bubble her teammate, cut it back by 5 meters or so. That way she can still help but it's all about the space around her, not in the frontline.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    i mean soldier was kind of regarded as a joke pick before this change and his weaknesses still remain viz he loses to well played snipers, has no vertical mobility, relies on helix burst and has no disengage

i havent run into any soldiers so far who have seemed particularly outta control but who knows

Yeah. While I do feel he is very strong rn I'm still not sure if he's OP. He still loses to a lot of stuff he lost to and funnily enough he's actually kinda worse against snipers but stronger in the midrange.

It'll probably take more time for me to develop a solid opinion.

I think the issue is that teams at low ELO have two speeds.

1) they sit around at choke doing fuck all. If we get a pick, I call to push a specific target and capitalize. If I flank and they turn to deal with me, my team doesn’t push forward even if I call. They keep standing around gawking for 5-10 seconds, wasting the opportunity, and possibly pushing forward after the window has closed.

2) they overextend mindlessly into bad situations and get picked during posturing, leading to snowball after snowball. It’s impossible to get the feeder(s) to stop so the team has to fight down numbers constantly.

Like, I had a great game as reaper where I made the opposing team terrified of my flanks. Eventually they sent 3 players to hunt me down, so I just led them on wild goose chases while my teammates win 5v3 after 5v3.

The game after, I got a lot of picks and called for pushes, but my team literally just sat at choke spamming instead of ever pushing up. We lost the spam war because we were hog sigma Ana lucio, which won’t win an attrition fight.

Sigma is still too strong, all I see now is Sigma/Zarya or Sigma/Hog with an occasional Sigma/Orisa. He's been meta since he was introduced, and you can't have offtank damage with a shield AND a good ult. At least try cutting the shield length in half or cut his primary in half.

I'd say Zarya needs to be looked at but with her I would just reduce the distance she can bubble her teammate, cut it back by 5 meters or so. That way she can still help but it's all about the space around her, not in the frontline.

I feel like they need to just give him Sym 2.0's exact shield, maybe moving a little bit slower. The ability to redeploy at will and park it in precise spots in front of snipers, either of the Widow or Ana variety, where nobody else is going to bother dealing with it, not to mention being able to cut off Pharah angles, is super strong.

But we're missing a shitload of standard tank archetypes still, and apparently in no rush to even hint at them. Blizzcon is in like a week, and are we even expecting anything at all? I mean, I'm sure there'll be at least a cinematic, but haven't even seen a whiff of any hints on new characters or movement on OW2's development or release plans in the slightest.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited October 2020
    I called for a bait on their team, since we had traded picks. Their dva decided to chase our lucio, which resulted in.........

https://youtu.be/KWhtcvrk1nQ

Their pharah came back to help a little too late.

sanstodo on
    One more good highlight for today. We got a leaver but he sucked anyway. So we decided to win 5v6:

https://youtu.be/1AmjxbPnops

Who needs 2 dps?

Climbing pretty steadily one-tricking reaper (27-16, overall SR gain of about 650), only really losing games with throwers/leavers or someone feeding like crazy in a way I can't balance out. My stats compare pretty well to others, 75th percentile or better in virtually all categories (except solo kills, but I play a more team based style anyway).

Playing DPS definitely seems to make climbing easier. I have much more capacity to swing things without relying on teammates. Plus, Reaper is more versatile than expected. I can peel for tanks, flank, or take space by existing. Plus, he doesn't demand many healing resources, so winning attrition wars is possible.

Tanks still seem super timid though. People are way too passive and kinda wait around for something to happen rather than proactively make plays.

Reaper is a great pick for the reasons you said, and also a Reaper that isn't obviously throwing is super scary to the other team.

I would love to play DPS more and feel like I would probably climb, but the queue times are so discouraging. I just get so bored waiting for games, I end up filling supports and end up losing because I'm not good enough to make up for the team comp.

Reaper is a great pick for the reasons you said, and also a Reaper that isn't obviously throwing is super scary to the other team.

I would love to play DPS more and feel like I would probably climb, but the queue times are so discouraging. I just get so bored waiting for games, I end up filling supports and end up losing because I'm not good enough to make up for the team comp.

I’m starting to hit a wall where I get hard focused and my teammates are too passive to capitalize on the opportunities. Like, I’ll call out that there are 3 chasing me on the flank only to watch my teammates sit at choke for 10 seconds watching me die, refusing to engage 5v3.

Or I’ll pressure down a rein shield only to realize my teammates are all chasing a tracer and leaving me and rein to die alone.

I’m still maintaining a 60% win rate but man, it’s frustrating to watch teammates lose fights because they refuse to hit W or react so illogically (why would you melee a sleeping roadhog?) that it’s impossible to enable them. And once the other team identifies me as the carry and literally ignores the rest of my team, it’s usually gonna be a loss.

Like, last game, they swapped everything to counter my reaper. If I swapped off, they went to their old comp, so I stayed on reaper and played super safe. At one point, 5 of them dove on me so I wraithed away. My teammates went the opposite direction of where I retreated, putting themselves into a dead end corner.

The enemy team ignored them (literally backs turned, facing only me) and went after me. My teammates continued to sit in the corner and watched me die, then all died together after the enemy team finished me off.

Like, what am I even supposed to do with that?

laugh at the hilarity/insanity of it.

Pailryder wrote: »
    laugh at the hilarity/insanity of it.

It reminded me a bit of a horror movie. Guess it fits the time of year, lol

Man, weirdass game with four dudes. While the game was in progress, super positive, supportive, helpful callouts, decent enough at the game but just couldn't deal with the Reaper who was permanently on our backline despite the rest of the other team being kind of bad, so it was an protracted loss, but they remained upbeat the whole way.

But during the waiting time between each round, holy jesus fucking christ. Sexist, sexual, vulgar, and racist. Like, Trump Access Hollywood kind of horrible bullshit, but with a heavy dose of denigrating Chinese and Korean women on top of it.

The fuck is wrong with people.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited October 2020
    There are people who think if they're goatfucking ironically they're not fucking a goat, I guess.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    i think my teenager would call them wannabe edgelords, but maybe more like middlelords? i don't know, its bizarre behavior for sure. It's a rebellion against nothing, it hurts themselves and others for no reason.