As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How about [movies] that no longer exist?

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I believe you're going to see a strong resurgence of drive-ins and small theaters, not even the restaurant cinemas but just classy small theaters that play bigger movies instead of the arty farty movies. Nice, clean simple theaters, almost the size of the mall cinemas, 6 screen classatoriums, not 24 screen shit kicker 69Xperiences.

In general I think you're going to see a lot of mid tier movies come back too like in the 80's and early 90's, because throwing 30 milly at a movie and just making double or triple back will look good instead of 200 milly blockbusters that people were already getting sick of before this shit happened.

I feel crazy saying this but 200 million isn't even blockbuster money these days. If you aren't dropping 300m+ before marketing it's just your average summer movie.

That_Guy on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    What's the point in a shitty theatre for mainstream releases? Unless you are delivering the big screen with the big sound and the good sightlines, what's the point? Smaller theatres can survive on niche appeal via title selection and events but for your big theatre, the experience is what they are selling.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I like the headless Horseman.

I never put together it was Bing Crosby, though.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Are there any horror movies where the hideous killer goes about the usual killing but then stumbles across someone worse and is himself killed? The Friday the 13th movie where Jason fights Carrie comes to mind but is there something maybe less supernatural? The last Predator movie semi-fits where a Predator is hunted and killed by an even bigger Predator.

You know what, You're Next totally counts.

Here are some others in the same kinda-sorta vein, but their quality is very inconsistent:

Darkman
    Predator 2
    Blade 2
    Outpost (2008)
    Running Man
    Dredd (2012)
    Predators (2010)

There's also an Aussie film called Fortress from the 1980s that I've not seen but is apparently .. something.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Running Man is an absolute great one to throw into the 'prey becomes predator' genre.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Running Man is an absolute great one to throw into the 'prey becomes predator' genre.

Mrs. McCardell was awesome:
    "I can pick anyone I choose, and I choose Ben Richards. That boy's one mean motherfucker!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Hey I watched Prometheus finally. I thought it might be worthwhile for some squick but nope, none of it worked.

Next day I watched The Fly. That's how you fuckin do body horror. The last minute especially is eye watering perfection.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I believe you're going to see a strong resurgence of drive-ins and small theaters, not even the restaurant cinemas but just classy small theaters that play bigger movies instead of the arty farty movies. Nice, clean simple theaters, almost the size of the mall cinemas, 6 screen classatoriums, not 24 screen shit kicker 69Xperiences.

In general I think you're going to see a lot of mid tier movies come back too like in the 80's and early 90's, because throwing 30 milly at a movie and just making double or triple back will look good instead of 200 milly blockbusters that people were already getting sick of before this shit happened.

I hope drive ins make a come back, I miss them.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I hope drive ins make a come back, I miss them.

They need an assload of space to work. That isn't readily available outside of a not-yet-fully-developed suburb.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Are there any horror movies where the hideous killer goes about the usual killing but then stumbles across someone worse and is himself killed? The Friday the 13th movie where Jason fights Carrie comes to mind but is there something maybe less supernatural? The last Predator movie semi-fits where a Predator is hunted and killed by an even bigger Predator.

Yeah, Law Abiding Citizen.

Its a horrific movie.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Its a horrific movie.

Absolutely hated the ending there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #1039: Town Bloody Hall

And here I was thinking this might be a Wiseman-esque documentary about a small-scale political institution. It's still a documentary, but one focused on a night of debate called 'A Dialogue on Women's Liberation' at The Town Hall in New York in 1971. The debate is moderated by author (and wife stabber) Norman Mailer, and the speakers are Jacqueline Ceballos, Germaine Greer, Jill Johnston, and Diana Trilling.

In 1970's, second-wave feminist fashion, some of the ideas are a bit antiquated or naive (Ceballos in particular asserts that the root of the civil rights, environmentalist, and peace movements is women's lib), but they're nonetheless interesting and often presented in personal and enjoyable ways. Jill Johston's sardonic, free-associative poetry is especially fun for example. Once the speeches are finished (all of them finished with Mailer posing a question that appears to go unaddressed for the rest of the night), the floor is opened for questions, and Greer and Mailer then dominate the conversation. Some of the questions are asked by great minds like Susan Sontag, and Cynthia Ozick, who's particularly hilarious.

The entire night is bathed in heckling, laughter, and bitter disagreement; and yes, it is performative, but it has a kind of joviality that's lost in modern debate. It seems like it would have been fun being there, as the collective goal really appears to be people trying to better understand one another, Mailer included. In one moment, interrupted by members of the audience, Mailer barks: "A true perspective of the future is that it will end with nothing but assholes talking to assholes!"---different eras and all, but I'd say he ended up being partially right.

(there isn't much to say about the film itself other than that the camera work is good and the sound often unsatisfactory; I watched it with subtitles because it was difficult to parse what certain people were saying)

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The "Fuck Around and Find Out" subgenre is one of my favorites. You're Next was a delight.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thought this was interesting:
    https://youtu.be/V-ETDTXUnB0

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just finished The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and I think I loved it?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

Its a horrific movie.

Been a while since I've seen that, but isn't it the one where the vigilante imprisoned super-genius father is trying to make these points about the justice system by brutally murdering the people involved with freeing his family's blatantly-guilty murderers, is solidly on-task for murder the whole movie, and then does an enormous character 180 after accidentally blowing up a random innocent clerk (while trying to blow up the guy trying to stop him but had basically nothing to do with the murder case) and calls it "collateral damage" or some dumbass shit like that?

Cuz if that's the one, yeah, moronic ending. Basically just a completely different movie and set of characters once the car bomb thing happens, makes the movie completely fucking pointless.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Its a horrific movie.

Been a while since I've seen that, but isn't it the one where the vigilante imprisoned super-genius father is trying to make these points about the justice system by brutally murdering the people involved with freeing his family's blatantly-guilty murderers, is solidly on-task for murder the whole movie, and then does an enormous character 180 after accidentally blowing up a random innocent clerk (while trying to blow up the guy trying to stop him but had basically nothing to do with the murder case) and calls it "collateral damage" or some dumbass shit like that?

Cuz if that's the one, yeah, moronic ending. Basically just a completely different movie and set of characters once the car bomb thing happens, makes the movie completely fucking pointless.

IIRC, that was a case of the writers having a sudden realization that "oh shit, we can't let this guy actually win and turn out to be right."

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    It is time once more to remember the greatest opening titles sequence in movie history.

https://youtu.be/J7YwnsYsSrw?t=40

Bogart on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    British cinema is odd

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It is time once more to remember the greatest opening titles sequence in movie history.

Was that Colm "Miles O'Brien" Meaney in the background? I was recently thrown quite a bit when he turned up in John Huston's The Dead (1987), which kinda made me think that the entire film was actually an extended holodeck session. I mean, which true-blooded Irishman wouldn't want his holodeck adventure to be a Joycean Christas dinner?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Meaney's excellent in the movie. He's been around for ages, and pops up in some great movies. He's an Elvis loving dad of the main character in The Commitments, one of the terrorists in Under Siege and Don Revie in The Damned United.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    He's in all three of the Barrytown Trilogy movies, isn't he?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I feel crazy saying this but 200 million isn't even blockbuster money these days. If you aren't dropping 300m+ before marketing it's just your average summer movie.

This isn't true. The number of films that have cost more than $200 is still quite small. Only a half dozen or so in the last 20 years have cost $300 million or more and most of those were superhero ensemble movies with huge big name casts, Johnny Depp paycheck delivery systems or stuff that was stuck in development hell for years and years.

The next two Marvel movies are around $200 million apiece, and the next Bond movie, which must surely be channelling tens of millions into Daniel Craig's bank account, is still $250 million.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Law Abiding Citizen
    Taken

All the dad revenge movies are basically that.

Equalizer as well.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Meaney's excellent in the movie. He's been around for ages, and pops up in some great movies. He's an Elvis loving dad of the main character in The Commitments, one of the terrorists in Under Siege and Don Revie in The Damned United.

The Commitments! What a cracking movie

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    You know while listening to the soundtrack for The Sound of Music I came to a weird realization.

They have this whole song about how do you solve a problem like Maria.

Then they sing it again at Maria's wedding.

Apparently for the nuns the whole how do you solve a problem like Maria, the answer is dick.

That song has gotten a lot funnier at least for me.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I just finished The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and I think I loved it?

I guess I didn't realize this came out.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I tried rewatching Law Abiding Citizen and had to turn it off. It turns out "Angry white man murders a surprising number of people of color in his quest for revenge against the system" isn't something I can sit through anymore.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I tried rewatching Law Abiding Citizen and had to turn it off. It turns out "Angry white man murders a surprising number of people of color in his quest for revenge against the system" isn't something I can sit through anymore.

Thoughts on Falling Down?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a

@Bogart is this because yesterday was Coogan's 55th birthday or is this just an amazing cosmic coincidence?

rRwz9.gif
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

See I get not wanting to finish the movie - however, I can’t remember that he even kills one person of color in the movie..

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    is this because yesterday was Coogan's 55th birthday or is this just an amazing cosmic coincidence?

Just a coincidence. I watch that video half a dozen times a year at least to instantly improve my mood. The bit where he breaks from yelling about fog lights to mime WOOOAHHHH has not yet failed to make me grin widely.

I really liked him in Layer Cake.

The next two Marvel movies are around $200 million apiece, and the next Bond movie, which must surely be channelling tens of millions into Daniel Craig's bank account, is still $250 million.

I cannot comprehend how a Bond film costs more than a Marvel effort

Special K wrote: »

I cannot comprehend how a Bond film costs more than a Marvel effort

Probably more practical stunt work and still a lot of CGI, Craig is on Downey Jr money for Bond, lots of different location work.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    British cinema is odd

I'm not sure anyone outside the UK will understand what Alan Partridge is, but maybe this clip will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOad90BvvjM

PSN Fleety2009
    I think Alan Partridge made a reasonable impact in the states. Certainly American comedians seem to often hold it in high regard.

That_Guy wrote: »

Thoughts on Falling Down?

Very different movie. Full disclosure, Falling Down is a longtime favorite of mine. Michael Douglas's character is having a breakdown - he's no super genius with a master plan. Law Abiding Citizen has direct conflict with POC throughout the movie (Jamie Foxx, the mayor, maybe more? I didn't finish my rewatch), Falling Down has three negative interactions with POC (store owner, gang, robert duvall's partner) two of which are at the beginning of his journey where Michael Douglas absolutely believes in being a racist shitbag, but part of his journey is realizing the real enemy isn't who he thought it was, culminating in him shooting someone for the first time (Duvall's partner) and realizing the enemy is himself.

I can certainly see people getting "angry white man power fantasy" from Falling Down and stopping there, but the character arc is a critique on that type of story.

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just finished watching both series of I'm Alan Partridge

It still holds up, and Sally Phillips is, then and now, an insanely attractive lady

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

See I get not wanting to finish the movie - however, I can’t remember that he even kills one person of color in the movie..

Maybe he doesn't, maybe it was more the way movie casts him as an adversary to Jamie Foxx and the mayor's office? I just remember feeling uncomfortable enough about the racial undertones to abandon my rewatch part of the way through

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.