As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If the insurance companies ask, you didn't hit the deer, the deer hit you.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    About fifteen years ago I had a girlfriend who lived in South Dakota, straight up I-29 from me (I lived in Kansas City) and driving through Iowa was a fucking nightmare. A, because Iowa has a low freeway speed limit (65, or 60 in a couple stretches) and Iowa cops are incredible assholes who will ride your rear bumper for miles waiting for you to fuck up, and B) because of all the goddamned deer. Long stretches of I-29 highway have thick stands of trees running along both sides of the road so if one ran out in front of you from the woods you had basically no warning. I was really fortunate that I never hit anything, but the highway was an abbatoir, especially during their active season - just long red streaks running down both sides of the highway, or random deer bits (a head here, a leg there) littering the road and crunching under your wheels. It was a horror show.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    hvky99g84xl7.jpg
    Sega has announced 4 limited time minigames on Steam for its 60th Anniversary: They will be free and available for a limited time but once redeemed you will keep them forever in your account.
    So here's a "fun" read about that Golden Axe prototype.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh hey, good times just keep on coming.

tl;dr, Cyberpunk has been in 16 hour/day crunch since June 2019.

Glal on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    While covering the crunch and mismanagement of CDPR re:Cyberpunk is valuable, it should be noted that Jason Schreier's fragile male ego resulted in him creating an angry twitter mob that latched onto the (female) games reporters at GameInformer and do the death threat and online harrassment thing directly as a result of his tweet that Reddit post is referencing.

He's an important voice, and this story is important, but the very first post in that thread is basically weaponised social media designed to incite 'Fake Gamer News' by the worst GG fuckbois.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    tl;dr, Cyberpunk has been in 16 hour/day crunch since June 2019.

As an IT Project Manager, I would be put on a PiP (performance improvement plan) then most likely fired if I ran a project that was in crunch for over a year.

A YEAR.

I bet these wankers get paid more than me too.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Reminder this is out tomorrow (10/15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcRNUlE7ek

Age of empires getting better remasters than Warcraft 3

Also katana zero is on gamepass, pretty sure pc too

Prohass on
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    While covering the crunch and mismanagement of CDPR re:Cyberpunk is valuable, it should be noted that Jason Schreier's fragile male ego resulted in him creating an angry twitter mob that latched onto the (female) games reporters at GameInformer and do the death threat and online harrassment thing directly as a result of his tweet that Reddit post is referencing.

He's an important voice, and this story is important, but the very first post in that thread is basically weaponised social media designed to incite 'Fake Gamer News' by the worst GG fuckbois.
    Sorry, can you offer a bit more direct context for that? I'm not doubting you, but I cannot find what you're talking about and there's only so many spoons I want to invest researching others' claims.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I still like how Rasputin was accidently listed as being a member of two different Vampire clans, so White Wolf just ran with it and had half a dozen different factions claiming he was a member. Before the world ended, he was listed as a member of

-At least four different Vampire clans (Malkavian, Followers of Set, Ventrue, Nosferatu)
    -The Werewolf tribe Shadow Lords
    -The Mage tradition Cult of Ecstasy
    -The Wraith guild of Puppeteers

The Puppeteers claim that, in his time, Rasputin had possessed many, many mortals, dozens of vampires, four ghouls and three mages, explaining the massive confusion over what, if any, supernatural clique Rasputin belonged to.

I actually own the Setite and Malkavian books, the Rasputin segments are great. I'll have to dig them up later.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

Sorry, can you offer a bit more direct context for that? I'm not doubting you, but I cannot find what you're talking about and there's only so many spoons I want to invest researching others' claims.

Okay, so in that source thread, Schreier's very first sentence is a bit of a strawman setting up himself as a victim (I'm not linking because it doesn't deserve the metrics)
    A Game Informer podcast recently suggested that my reporting on Cyberpunk 2077's crunch is incorrect.

A few points:
    This didn't happen. GameInformer's podcast wasn't directly about Schreier's coverage but the wider story as multiple outlets took it up and added their own sources and perspectives. Against that GI attempted to put some of that into the Polish context and the cultural norms and some other views of dev voices. It never called out Scheier (or anyone else's) reporting as incorrect, just add context and what their dev sources thought about the coverage. It was a discussion about the coverage in general and what it lacked. By putting himself in the center of it and making it an attack on his integrity and professionalism, well...

It's worth looking in and around the replies there, and some of the rest of her feed also, but basically Scheier was at best careless and at worst malicious in spreading around some good old-fashioned hating on womens-in-my-games-journalisms and here he's kinda doubling down on the "I was right and you were wrong" actions that caused all that without really ever having acknowledged in any way his role in any of it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    If the insurance companies ask, you didn't hit the deer, the deer hit you.

Never apologize to the deer. That's an admission of guilt.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Does Jason ever directly reference Liana at any point or even really criticize GameInformer besides saying their podcast suggested his reporting is incorrect? Because... I mean, the podcast did that, Jason broke the story and they suggested the story overall is incorrect. I guess he could avoid mentioning the outlet at all, though.

It seems like Jason might take criticism of the story personally but without any more context I'm struggling to see this as particularly egregious or the kind of tweet you can reasonably expect to send fifty death threats.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Does Jason ever directly reference Liana at any point or even really criticize GameInformer besides saying their podcast suggested his reporting is incorrect? Because... I mean, the podcast did that, Jason broke the story and they suggested the story overall is incorrect. I guess he could avoid mentioning the outlet at all, though.

It seems like Jason might take criticism of the story personally but without any more context I'm struggling to see this as particularly egregious or the kind of tweet you can reasonably expect to send fifty death threats.

Well shit, do we take the abuse victim's word on the subject, or do we take your impressions of what might have happened?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    milski wrote: »

Well shit, do we take the abuse victim's word on the subject, or do we take your impressions of what might have happened?

I am not saying it didn’t happen. I believe she received threats. I am saying that I’m struggling to see how that’s something Jason could have expected or intended by tweeting, accurately, that another outlet implied his story was incorrect.

People can be shitty, but is the implication here that Jason should never contradict another outlet because people might harass people who work there? That seems unworkable. That is why I asked if he did any more specific callouts, because it’s definitely be unreasonable to call her out by name or link the podcast segment or something.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    honestly I still don't think I understand what happened

people are sending threats to the GI author for... contextualizing the CDPR work conditions? for possibly contradicting Schrier?

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    What was the original story about, what context did the podcast add, and how did Jason enable or encourage people to harass someone?

• Options
    I think the important questions here are a) does this fallout happen repeatedly and b) does Jason do anything to counter it.
    Even if he doesn't directly say anything, if his words have repeatedly caused shit to happen it's something he should be mindful of, regardless of intent. He has a large platform and, fair or not, he's responsible for it.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I am confused.

What is the correct course of action here?

End eveything you say about anything with "please do not harass anyone because of what I just wrote"?

because if so, then, well

please do not harass anyone because of what I just wrote

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I mean, the GI story is super gross, they basically take the position that "actually, the devs demanded crunch rather than be delayed." I don't see how Jason is wrong for calling bullshit on that.
    During the latest GameInformer Show, it has been revealed that CD Projekt Red did discuss a few possible options, including delaying Cyberpunk 2077 again. The vast majority of developers, however, did support the extra workday for six weeks, which isn't even seen as crunch due to the different views on the matter in Poland. The whole crunch story seems to have been blown out of proportion, so much that one member of the development team was almost scared to celebrate the game going gold, despite being proud of the work done.

At best, it seems like they're just very gullible to a company's trotted out line, at worst they're complicit in ironing out a super toxic corporate environment.

I also don't see how that's a case of a fragile male ego, when your reporting is classified by a major publication as "blowing things out of proportion" on an important issue like this.

Like, he's supposed to...what? If anything, the criticism here is for GI's show. They have a huge platform, and their classification of this as not a big deal was picked up and echoed by other places.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I am confused.

What is the correct course of action here?

End eveything you say about anything with "please do not harass anyone because of what I just wrote"?

because if so, then, well

please do not harass anyone because of what I just wrote
    Looking at all the YouTubers and politician that refuse to actually outright state "I don't support this shit, you're shit if you're doing this" it does appear to be a very difficult step to take.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I just listened to the podcast segment, and it's bad. One of the guys says "this version of crunch is not like other crunch, it's not like they've been doing it for a year, two years."

The entire segment is basically all of them saying "not that i'm advocating for crunch, I'll never advocate for crunch, but sometimes you need crunch" And taking a position where they outright state they don't really know, but CD Projekt Red is totally trying, you guys.

They go to bat for CD PR really hard.

cursedking on
  • Options
  • Options
    TLDR:

Jason called out in general, anyone who said his original story was full of shit and some terrible GG people decided to use it as an opening to harass women. Because gamers are awful and when I'm God-Emperor of humanity, gamers will be banned.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    on a completely unrelated note I need help from techy types again

assuming I’m about to come into a machine with a 3080 and a Ryzen 7, but I don’t have a monitor yet, should I go for 1440P 144HZ, 4K60, or 4K 144HZ? can I even run anything at 4K and a frame rate that high? are there good high frequency 4K monitors that don’t cost $Jupiter?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I don't think 4K monitors are really a thing, yet. I'd go for 1440p with a high refresh rate and gsync compatible.

Edit: I guess they are, but damn expensive.

captaink on
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    on a completely unrelated note I need help from techy types again

assuming I’m about to come into a machine with a 3080 and a Ryzen 7, but I don’t have a monitor yet, should I go for 1440P 144HZ, 4K60, or 4K 144HZ? can I even run anything at 4K and a frame rate that high? are there good high frequency 4K monitors that don’t cost $Jupiter?

i am not an authority but i have heard that 1440 with high refresh is the general standard high end at this point.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Because of how close you sit to a monitor, unless you plan on getting an enormous (+32") screen, you're going start hitting some serious diminishing returns at 4k. That graphics card would probably be able to actually drive games at 4k, but I doubt you'd ever be hitting the 144 fps range, unless you lowered the details or used nVidia's upscaling tech, which in itself kind of defeats the point.

Personally I picked up a 1440p/144Hz screen a year ago and it's a lovely thing.

Glal on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

people are sending threats to the GI author for... contextualizing the CDPR work conditions? for possibly contradicting Schrier?

WITCHER 3 GOOD

GAME JOURNALISM BAD

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Because of how close you sit to a monitor, unless you plan on getting an enormous (+32") screen, you're going start hitting some serious diminishing returns at 4k. That graphics card would probably be able to actually drive games at 4k, but I doubt you'd ever be hitting the 144 fps range, unless you lowered the details or used nVidia's upscaling tech, which in itself kind of defeats the point.

I was going for a 27 inch so that definitely answers that! thanks!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    If I were going to spend the money I'd probably buy a 240hz 1440p monitor instead of a 144hz 4k

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Nice opening message.

ES7mtQq.png

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Five new games: the hit threequel Quiplash 3, the collaborative chaos of The Devils and the Details, the fierce drawing game Champ’d Up, the speech game Talking Points and the guessing game Blather 'Round. Use phones or tablets as controllers and play with up to 8 players, and an audience of 10,000!
    20201015 jackbox Party Pack 7 (multiplayer, party, social, mobile, funny)

Noita is a magical action roguelite set in a world where every pixel is physically simulated. Fight, explore, melt, burn, freeze and evaporate your way through the procedurally generated world using spells you've created yourself.
    20201015 Noita (roguelike, 2D, physics, adventure, difficult)

Enter the Ring of Pain, a roguelike card crawler where encounters come to you. Each step around the ring a dire decision. Go for the loot or backstab a creeping horror? Meet strange friends bearing gifts and treasure. Choose your gear wisely to survive and discover the secrets of the Ring of Pain. 20201015 Ring of Pain
    (Dungeon Crawler, Card Battler, Roguelite)

Captain's Log, Star Date 2159. This is Space Crew. Its continuing mission: To defend Earth and humankind, to eliminate the extraterrestrial threat and to boldly go where no Crew has gone before in this unique, strategic, space simulation!
    20201015 Space Crew (management, simulation, sci-fi, space, adventure)

Raji: An Ancient Epic is an action-adventure game set in ancient India. A young girl named Raji has been chosen by the gods to stand against the demonic invasion of the human realm. Her destiny? To rescue her younger brother and face the demon lord Mahabalasura.
    20201015 Raji an ancient epic (India, action-adventure, beat-em-up, narrative)

"You are a digital exorcist, seeing beyond this reality into alternate timelines of the accused. In this short mystery, solve murders, purify the possessed, and purge their daemons.
    ALL REVIEWS:" 20201015 Lucifer Within Us (sandbox, detective, investigative)

Fight to be the tastiest cake in Cake Bash! A frantic four player party game where adorable drawn-to-life cakes beat the crumbs out of each other.
    20101015 Cake Bash (beat-em-up, fighter, gang-beasts-like)

Cook, serve and manage your food truck as you dish out hundreds of different foods across war-torn America in this massive sequel to the million-selling series! 20201014 Cook Serve Delicious! 3?!
    (typing, management, difficult, simulation?)

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition completes the celebration of one of the most beloved real-time strategy franchises with remastered graphics and music, all previously released expansions and brand-new content to enjoy for the very first time.
    20201015 Age of Empires 3 (strategy, RTS, tactics, historical, single/multiplayer)

LOL TOO MANY GAMES

Brolo on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

WITCHER 3 GOOD

GAME JOURNALISM BAD

but the GI journalists are ostensibly the ones defending CDPR... like is this a group of rabid Jason Schrier fans that are sending the threats?

• Options
    I have a 32inch 165hz 1440p display

and it is pretty rad

honestly though I might go with OLED/HDR over the extra hz

• Options

WITCHER 3 GOOD

GAME JOURNALISM BAD

but the GI journalists are ostensibly the ones defending CDPR... like is this a group of rabid Jason Schrier fans that are sending the threats?

yes, that is what happened. He highlighted that they had a segment saying that the crunch situation with CD Projekt Red wasn't actually that bad (which they did), and that it was only this six weeks. And he repeated his sources with some additional stuff to show that it had been going on for years and is a major issue. And then a bunch of idiots did idiot things.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »

WITCHER 3 GOOD

GAME JOURNALISM BAD

yes, that is what happened. He highlighted that they had a segment saying that the crunch situation with CD Projekt Red wasn't actually that bad (which they did), and that it was only this six weeks. And he repeated his sources with some additional stuff to show that it had been going on for years and is a major issue. And then a bunch of idiots did idiot things.

An evergreen comment.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking monitors are in a transitional phase for like 5y now.

There's all this cool tech but most of it is quite expensive and it still isn't quite sure where we are going to end up at what pace.

Right now we're dealing with
    3 main resolutions (1080p, 1440p, 4k)
    4 main panel techniques (TN, VA, IPS, Oled)
    Wide range of frequency (from 60hz to 240hz and beyond)
    A new HDMI standard just about to be implemented (2.1 allows for 4k 120hz, 2.0 can only do 4k 60hz)
    Curved and Ultrawide oddballs
    A lot of processing done in the monitor leading to seemingly near identical specs having big differences in outcome
    A really shaky PC side implementation of HDR

If you want all of the top end whistles, you are spending car money. So you have to research your usecase.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

I was going for a 27 inch so that definitely answers that! thanks!

Literally just bought the Samsung G7 27", like, a couple weeks ago and it's amazing.

• Options
    I've been dying to try HDR, however the iffy Windows implementation of it makes me hesitate to spend extra for it. Just thanks to how HDR works it is non-trivial to display 2d interfaces "correctly" (since it's not a lit situation, they're abstractions) and Windows itself isn't great about it.

On TVs, go for it. On monitors... depends on how much extra effort you're willing to invest into getting it to work, I guess.

• Options
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    hvky99g84xl7.jpg
    Sega has announced 4 limited time minigames on Steam for its 60th Anniversary: They will be free and available for a limited time but once redeemed you will keep them forever in your account.
    So here's a "fun" read about that Golden Axe prototype.

man that sounds like some hot bullshit

This discussion has been closed.