As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Finished a run with the final Spear aspect. The run was HARD carried by freezing beam casts slowing everything down and Athena's Boon that regens health when out of Death Defiances...which happened quickly and often. Thankfully, the final boss wasn't that bad with the beams damage/slowing him down, and me hiding like a coward whenever I took damage.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    image.png

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I have a fair # of clears now and I would guess one-in-ten I didn't have Athena's deflect-dash.

In my experience Poseidon's repulsion dash is pretty powerful against normal enemies as well, though its use kind of falls off on the final boss.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I have a fair # of clears now and I would guess one-in-ten I didn't have Athena's deflect-dash.

In my experience Poseidon's repulsion dash is pretty powerful against normal enemies as well, though its use kind of falls off on the final boss.

Heh. I had Poseidon's dash with +2 dashes from Hermes and it just insta-cleared rooms.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Heh. I had Poseidon's dash with +2 dashes from Hermes and it just insta-cleared rooms.

A lot of the "damage on dash" Boons do base damage somewhere in the 10-20 range. Poseidon's dash starts at 30-something and only goes up from there, plus it causes Wall-Slams for more damage. And then you can get a boon that tacks a 200-damage AoE on top of all that. Like those two boons alone are a free ticket through the fourth zone.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    I got the +3 daashes Epic Boon from Hermes. Holy shit, I GOTTA GO FAST!! Well, I actually went too fast at first and accidentally ended up in the lava a few times. Had it down a few rooms later.

I also finally got to use my first Ambrosia. I've been hooking my boy Skelly up and he threw me a new toy to play with on my runs. Now to unlock the rest of them and whatever is under the sheet. Just not sure I want to increase the heat in large amounts or slow roll it. I guess I might as well go slow, since there's a TON of Titan Blood required to unlock the weapon levels.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    going to do some runs
    might try for 32 heat

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Poseidon Dash with rupture, extra damage on wall slam, and the legendary Poseidon boon on top of that results in some fucking shenanigans as enemies ricochet every where slamming into each other, walls, taking rupture damage, etc. Especially if you then get the duo boon for Zeus and...

It's not great against bosses of course, but it's still a hilarious sight to behold.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Question: If i want to farm Darkness, is there any reason not to do it at 0 heat?

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Less fun than higher heat.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Less fun than higher heat.

I mean, not false but if i'm trying to get the maximum amount of darkness, i can't go on high heat runs because..... i'll lose out of the darkness boss rewards.

So might as well stick to low/no heat for consistency, no?

oops i actually forgot to hit stream but, the fruits of effort:
    3hiSVCu.png?1

speed is the essence of victory
    (good thing i didn't actually stream because i mucked up 2 runs before my success hue)

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT
    Sidestory spoiler - Skelly
    Skelly didn't lie about his backstory....?

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT

Either that or
    Asterius is in on the joke

Tynnan wrote: »
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT

Either that or
    Asterius is in on the joke

the plot thickens.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Poseidon's dash plus anything from Hermes plus the Gilgamesh fists. 5-6 dashes plus the AOE effects basically makes you a bipedal nuke.

Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Poseidon's dash plus anything from Hermes plus the Gilgamesh fists. 5-6 dashes plus the AOE effects basically makes you a bipedal nuke.

I like Gilgamesh + Ares dash + Extra dashes...

edited October 2020
    I think I just had the most broken build I've ever played, between the starting weapon and some utterly delightful Trial of the Gods choices.

By the time I got out of the temple, I had six dashes, Poseidon's dash plus the rupture upgrade, Zeus' call and cast plus the jolted upgrade, Sea Storm (and Exclusive Access from the very next room), Aphrodite's special with a 30% slowdown bonus on top of that, contagious hangover on the attack, about half of those upgraded to around level three, enough speed boost on the attack that it was matching the default fists, and a couple of other things besides.

I think I fought Asterius, Theseus and Hades in there somewhere? I'm not sure, becuase I might have missed a few things when I blinked.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ended up with Athena's Call on my last run. Wasn't very thrilled with it for most of the run but it is *hilarious* against Hades. No really sir stop hitting yourself.

Also finally got a gun run that felt OK. Three round burst and homing ammo upgrades. I think the root when firing is what makes it feel clunky.

(The bow does the same but you're charging so it's more natural *and* I usually end up doing a shotgun special build anyway)

• hushhush Registered User regular
    you can't walk but you can still dash while firing

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Ended up with Athena's Call on my last run. Wasn't very thrilled with it for most of the run but it is *hilarious* against Hades. No really sir stop hitting yourself.

Also finally got a gun run that felt OK. Three round burst and homing ammo upgrades. I think the root when firing is what makes it feel clunky.

(The bow does the same but you're charging so it's more natural *and* I usually end up doing a shotgun special build anyway)

I think the gun is the weapon that lives or dies on its hammer upgrades. With poor upgrades it was my most painful run, but with something like 5 rockets or infinite ammo it becomes great.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I got my first clear just now!
    Took 27 tries, I both feel like I unlocked a bunch, but theres just a huge amount of things left. How much left is there? I keep seeing 10 clears to get 'credits'? This challenge system seems good, but daunting. Also rennovations are far from over.

I definitely have boons I always prefer over others, and I cant seem to get through a run without a form of deflect or neutralizing for missiles. It kind of pushes me away from certain doors because I know they dont mix well with my play style, but that ends up effecting future boons and other things, so its getting weird. I also can't really get through this game with melee and seem to rely on ranged pretty exclusively. I've lost runs because I am punching something and it just shoots me in the face anyways, I probably just havent figured out how to duck and weave yet.
    10 clears for credits. The first one is definitely the hardest. The challenge system is a lot easier to play with than it looks at first -- you can ramp it up gently and end up getting rewarded for a runs that aren't noticeably harder than your original clear.

Deflect dash is good, dont get me wrong... but Recently I've replaced it with Posidens explosion dash, and instead going for athenas attack deflect. that combo + the fists + anything that improves on the splash damage from the dash makes the game easy.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Yah Poseidon dash is insane.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Just finished a spear run that was entirely throwing explosive harpoons that push enemies into walls and barriers, making them explode themselves and those around them. It was incredibly effective, but since most of my damage came from pushing, boss fights were a pain.

Skelly relationship question
    I can't give him any more gifts but I'm told to "deepen your relationship to expand this entry further". Do I need to finish his kill-me-for-reals quest to advance?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yes

I ate an engineer
    Just got the credits. Let’s see what happens next!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Just remember you can still dash while being rooted and it's fine

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The one problem with the game's method of feeding you dialogue is that things that happen might not actually be acknowledged until dozens of runs later.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    A friend of mine who completely isn't me just sat through a 3.5 hour Skype conference that was of zero relevance to him, so he may just have gone and played Hades in parallel... and he may just have beaten Hades for the first time, using, ironically, his least liked weapon, Coronacht.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    so exploding spear throw is EZ mode huh

edited October 2020
    so exploding spear throw is EZ mode huh

Exploding Spear you say?

https://youtu.be/GV2Y2kIUkIs

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Poseidon in general seems to be the source of many powerful combos. And his call is just the best. It's the one I would always pick if I could.
    My last spear run was fun. I had poseidon on spear special which had the hammer upgrade that turns your spear special into an explosion. Add to that poseidon's water explosion when knocked enemies hit a wall. Everything was getting thrown around and blown up so fast.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    I mainly use calls in the boss fights, so I particularly like Aphrodite's - sometimes you just need to grab this one thing in particular and nuke it Right Now.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    My call rankings are, like...

Invincibility Tier: Athena
    Worse Invincibility Tier: Poseidon, Ares
    Chunking The Boss for 2.5k Is An Okay Consolation Prize I Guess Tier: Aphrodite
    Who Even Cares: The Rest

I couldn't even tell you what most of the lesser calls do; they seem so useless compared to the invincibility ones. Maybe there's a hidden gem in there I'm missing somehow, I don't know.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited October 2020
    Wyvern wrote: »
    My call rankings are, like...

Invincibility Tier: Athena
    Worse Invincibility Tier: Poseidon, Ares
    Chunking The Boss for 2.5k Is An Okay Consolation Prize I Guess Tier: Aphrodite
    Who Even Cares: The Rest

I couldn't even tell you what most of the lesser calls do; they seem so useless compared to the invincibility ones. Maybe there's a hidden gem in there I'm missing somehow, I don't know.

I imagine that's a high-heat perspective? At 1-5 heat I pretty much just prioritize chunking the boss for as much damage as possible.

admanb on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So, I ran the numbers based on what's on the Hades wiki. Artemis's aid, at full bar, fires 10 arrows, each with a 35% chance to crit. The expected value of the base value of any arrow that hits is therefore 3 * .35 + 1 * .65, for a total of 1.7 times the base value. At Epic, the base damage of an arrow is 120, so the overall expected value of a full bar is around 2040 damage. Now, granted, Poms of Power will increase that damage, and certain other skills raise crit chances or the crit multiplier, but that's kind of amazing that Aphrodite outpunches Artemis with no investment and has a stun attached.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Dionysus and Demeter have good Calls for putting status effects on targets, if you're running the Mirror of Night boon that gives bonus damage for stacking status effects. They're a bit more useful as regular calls than waiting for the Greater Call bonus since status effects can only stack to a limit, but that also makes them more difficult to use.

I agree that Zeus and Artemis's Calls are a little bit on the weaker / less useful side, though. Artemis's has never really put out enough damage that I've felt it worth it, and Zeus's requires getting in quite close to your target to hit, which is not what you always want.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, I ran the numbers based on what's on the Hades wiki. Artemis's aid, at full bar, fires 10 arrows, each with a 35% chance to crit. The expected value of the base value of any arrow that hits is therefore 3 * .35 + 1 * .65, for a total of 1.7 times the base value. At Epic, the base damage of an arrow is 120, so the overall expected value of a full bar is around 2040 damage. Now, granted, Poms of Power will increase that damage, and certain other skills raise crit chances or the crit multiplier, but that's kind of amazing that Aphrodite outpunches Artemis with no investment and has a stun attached.

I imagine Artemis's call scales with crit boosting boons. Similarly, Zeus's call scales with lightning boosting boons. They're not the best in a vacuum but Zeus's call when you have the boon that makes lightning also inflict Jolt status and adds extra lightning strikes is fun. For you anyway.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Demeter call is very helpful for groups of enemies or just slowing down a big target

I threw the Dionysus Boon on my Cast and paired it with Aspect of Hera bow. The image of smashing groups of enemies in the face with wine-filled arrows was hilarious (and quite effective I might add). They'd all sit stunned in a haze of fumes, then when the fumes wore off, they'd start getting pummeled by lightning bolts. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page