As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manga anyone?

finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
So Dark Horse has recently issued a new edition of Shirow's Dominion manga. This and Akira were what really got me into Anime and Manga, so I ask what was the title that drove you to the reverse printed madness?

finalbroadcast.jpg
finalbroadcast on

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So Dark Horse has recently issued a new edition of Shirow's Dominion manga. This and Akira were what really got me into Anime and Manga, so I ask what was the title that drove you to the reverse printed madness?

The first manga title I ever bought was Shirow's Black Magic, years and years ago. Second title I ever bought was Gunhed, and then Silent Mobius. After that I picked up a fair bit of random titles. But, those were my first ones.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My first manga was Lone Wolf and Cub. I got all 28 volumes for like 150 bucks, which was quite a steal. It should have been about 280 dollars. I then read some Blade of the Immortal. After that, I got back into comics via Hellboy. I didn't read manga again until about a year ago when I bought Ghost in the Shell. Since then, I have read Blame and Biomega.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    finally got the last 5 Naruto volumes they released so I'm gonna plow through them this afternoon then hit the last 3 Berserk volumes

Algertman on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I read a TON of manga right now almost as much as I do comics. My first manga I read was Dragon Ball and Record of Lodoss War back when they still put it out like a comic book (as in 32 page floppies) but it was still right-to-left. My current reading list includes off the top of my head: Naruto, Bleach, Hunter X Hunter, Death Note (completed), Claymore, Black Cat, Eyeshield 21, Drifting Classroom, Berserk, Kurohime, Fullmetal Alchemist, and some more.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lone Wolf and Cub should be required reading.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I still have to finish Death Note, the last arc with L's to protoge felt kinda weak to me. As far as Lone wolf an cub is concerned, I am rather partial to the Samurai Executioner. It was just more interesting to me.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gunnm: Last Order (it's called Battle Angel Alita in the US) has been pretty solid for its art and storytelling. worth a read at the very least.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Indeed, it's the only manga I read. Still can't convince my LCS to get me volume 9 though.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I started with Ranma, reading that stuff in manga form is great. After that I got Battle Angel Alita and I haven't found a title I like more. These days I'm picking up Battle Angel Alita: Last Order and Hellsing and Welcome to the NHK!.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the first i got into was Lone wolf and cub as well. i enjoy azumanga daioh and absolutely love crayon shin chan. i've done very little since then, though. i have wanted to try buddha and gyo.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    the first i got into was Lone wolf and cub as well. i enjoy azumanga daioh and absolutely love crayon shin chan. i've done very little since then, though. i have wanted to try buddha and gyo.

You should get Yotsuba& if you like Azumonga Daioh (as should everyone else). You'll thank me later.

KVW on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I must admit

I LOVE Ultimate Muscle

Algertman on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I really dig ghost in the shell, and I read the first volume of uzumaki (thanks ss!) which was quite good. I also read the first patlabor. it was fun enough. i kind of have to be in the right mood for manga, but it does strike me occasionally. oh, and the first volume of blade of the immortal, too. there's a couple i've been meaning to check out, like death note and lone wolf and cub

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Something that always struck me as odd/interesting is how accepted scanlated versions of Manga have become. I mean, I hate to say it, but I will never buy a Naruto manga simply because how easily I could read any chapter online. The same for many popular shonen mangas.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That has a lot to do with what Viz does to those Manga as they come across the Pacific, mostly Nartuo and One Piece, but both are chopped to bits.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That has a lot to do with what Viz does to those Manga as they come across the Pacific, mostly Nartuo and One Piece, but both are chopped to bits.

Personally I find a majority of those types of complaints to be greatly exaggerated (I've seen people get indignant over the middle finger being edited out of a tiny panel in Naruto), and more of a justification for piracy than anything.

Granted there is the occasional butchering (Tenjo Tenge was edited to hell, glad I didn't care for it) but most series make it over here alright.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Something that always struck me as odd/interesting is how accepted scanlated versions of Manga have become. I mean, I hate to say it, but I will never buy a Naruto manga simply because how easily I could read any chapter online. The same for many popular shonen mangas.

You could easily say that about many forms of entertainment. Why go to your local comic shop when you can pirate comics? Why bother buying CDs when you can easily pirate the music?

But I won't go any further since I don't want to drag this thread off topic.

Anyhow, I've noticed that Monster hasn't been mentioned. It's excellent and everyone who likes good things should read it.

Slicer on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gunnm: Last Order (it's called Battle Angel Alita in the US) has been pretty solid for its art and storytelling. worth a read at the very least.

Battle Angel, both old and new, are damned good reading. Right now, I'm making my way through Lone Wolf and Cub, and when I have the money, I'm collecting Eyeshield 21, Cromartie High School, GTO: The Early Years (Shonan Junai Gumi), and Gunsmith Cats: Revised.

Dark Horse does the best work, IMO.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kind of related to manga, but does anyone else prefer the right to left reading order? I don't have a huge manga library or even close to a shelf full of this stuff, but whenever I read one and go back to my NA comics, I start reading in the right before correcting myself for the first few pages and I always find myself wishing they were right to left.

Note, I prefer Marvel and DC stuff over most manga, so it's not some weird manga / otaku thing going on. I'm not sure if it's brain processing of images and text is easier for me that way or if it's something everyone experiences or what. Of course, when I first started reading manga, I hated it and loved Blade of the Immortal for flipping them, but now I wish everything read that way.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cromartie High School was freaking hilarious.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg