As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I kinda love how two separate memable moments tonight may have made the tagline for this election "Mr. Rogers vs your crazy Uncle"

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Ah, yep, I definitely didn't catch that the first listen through. My mistake for missing that then.

Very few people probably did catch it. It was one of today things that the answer sounded perfectly reasonable and correct to the normal person. Your average not quite "woke" but "awakening" type person who are trying to learn wouldn't have heard anything suspect.

But if you were really listening to the answer and at least know your way around the LGBTQ community, particularly any trans* details, you would have caught it.

If I wasn't a part of these forums and read through multiple threads and learned things, I wouldn't have noticed the language issues.

Overall I enjoyed the Biden town hall. I think he was open, tried his best to be honest with everybody. His willingness to actually engage with the questioners was endearing.

You could see that he was someone that wanted to talk, to engage, to discuss, to go through the nuance and the intersectionality of things. He got himself to the point where he had so many things he wanted to say on summer if the topics that his brain started tripping over itself and avoiding the stutter became harder for him.
    Like when you're trying to type out a thought but your fingers aren't fast enough and your brain skips a few words.

He did very well to tie one answer to another answer to the first answer. And he was obviously very interested in chatting with the actual people, but still engaged with the moderator as well.

Overall, there were a few stumbles, like the LGBTQ answer and the shooting in the leg thing, but the overall answers that he gave with nuance and details were ok.

Yes more police is good, if they're community policing and not jump squads. If they also have social workers and psychiatrists on calls. If they work on being involved in the community and de-escalation. There was a lot of good in that answer, but it just doesn't boil down to ten words.

Yeah he thinks that there is room for bipartisanship after Trump, but the DOJ will be a separate entity staffed with top prosecutors and they will do what they will do while following evidence at their own discretion, not at his direction.

If you actually listen to his words, most of them, he's not a bad candidate. I enjoyed myself watching him tonight.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Still going through the most destructive wildfires in the nation's history, California has been hurled under the bus. Guess that motherfucker don't want our vote after all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/trump-california-fire-disaster-assistance/index.html
    The Trump administration has rejected California's request for a disaster declaration for six destructive wildfires that burned hundreds of thousands of acres across the state, including a massive central California wildfire that has become the single largest in state history.
    "The request for a Major Presidential Disaster Declaration for early September fires has been denied by the federal administration," Brian Ferguson, a spokesperson for the Governor's Office of Emergency Services, confirmed to CNN. The state plans to appeal the decision.

Time for a new campaign ad: "Hey California Republicans, your god-king has flatly declared that he doesn't give two shits about you, for literally no reason other than that you live in a blue state."

Has any other president ever done anything like this before?

madparrot on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Trump to suburban women voters: "I let you have the American dream."

Let you? Really? As if women needed your permission for anything? Oh, piss off, you gross deviant troglodyte.

Edit: Yes, I know it's just a thinly veiled dogwhistle in an obvious attempt to appeal to white suburbanite women's racism and inner fear of the 'wrong people' moving into their neighborhoods when he mentions "the American dream".

Charitable read: "Let" as in "enable" or "facilitate".

Uncharitable read: "Let" as in "allow" or "grant permission".

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Let you? Really? As if women needed your permission for anything? Oh, piss off, you gross deviant troglodyte.

Edit: Yes, I know it's just a thinly veiled dogwhistle in an obvious attempt to appeal to white suburbanite women's racism and inner fear of the 'wrong people' moving into their neighborhoods when he mentions "the American dream".

So basically the choice is between a laughable lie and blatant condescension?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Roz wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Nobody is forcing Democrats to do evil things, actually.

Except voters.

Here's a Pennsylvania poll on a ban on fracking.

https://www.fandm.edu/uploads/files/562535870732261549-f-m-poll-release-january-2020.pdf
    ZK9QZBL.png

More Democratic support for a ban than there is Republican opposition. Independents split. Under 35 strongly support, other demographic have a slight opposition. Non-whites overwhelmingly against it. Significant "Do not know" all around.

No one is forcing them into anything.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He's coming out against it without supplying the soundbite.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If there is one thing PA Forums have taught me, is that a liberal candidate of any stripe attempting to meet the desires of a certain type of far-left voter is about as worthwhile as trying to gain the moral majority crowd. Both will oppose you on account of dogma and nothing else, even when you entirely change your position to align with theirs.

I don't like that Biden has to play to the center, but I fully understand why he has to if this forum is at all representative of the breakdown of the left political spectrum of US politics.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Enc wrote: »
    If there is one thing PA Forums have taught me, is that a liberal candidate of any stripe attempting to meet the desires of a certain type of far-left voter is about as worthwhile as trying to gain the moral majority crowd. Both will oppose you on account of dogma and nothing else, even when you entirely change your position to align with theirs.

I don't like that Biden has to play to the center, but I fully understand why he has to if this forum is at all representative of the breakdown of the left political spectrum of US politics.

Sure, let's grant that some "far-left voter" are not worth the time or effort to appeal to, I'll throw myself in that camp.

But is opposing fracking a actually a far-left thing? Polls suggest it is not, that opposition is pretty mainstream in the left/liberal wing, and that the middle is largely indifferent. So, it's not really convincing, and more just a reflexive meme, to just throw at voters and justify it as some act of political wisdom.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular

So basically the choice is between a laughable lie and blatant condescension?

I mean, that's always been the only two choices that Trump presents to anyone. Either kiss the ring and swallow the laughable lies, or reject him and be the target of his blatant condescension.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Elki wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

Sure, let's grant that some "far-left voter" are not worth the time or effort to appeal to, I'll throw myself in that camp.

But is opposing fracking a actually a far-left thing? Polls suggest it is not, that opposition is pretty mainstream in the left/liberal wing, and that the middle is largely indifferent. So, it's not really convincing, and more just a reflexive meme, to just throw at voters and justify it as some act of political wisdom.

It's not that anti-fracking is far-left, its that the view that a soundbite at a townhall committing to banning fracking, an industry which employs thousands in many swing states, is more important for the environment than actually winning an election to pass broad spectrum reforms or, at the most uncharitable, stopping further decay into madness under the current administration. I'm old enough and have seen enough political cycles to know that the particulars what you say during the campaign cycle and what you end up doing are essentially meaningless compared to the broad-picture policy actions. Biden's platform, while not as Green as I would prefer, is the clear environmental winner out of what we have to choose from that will lead to success. If he has to mollify pro-fracking independents and dejected Republicans by playing to the center to get even one more state to flip, its a worthwhile play with what is at stake.

Would I prefer a world where Warren won, has strident green deal message, and actually makes it to the presidency? Absolutely. But that isn't our world and I honestly doubt that such a platform could actually gain office right now in the US.

Edit: added some clarifying commas; specified anti-fracking.

Enc on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    You can end fracking without openly opposing it. Fracking is only profitable when petroleum prices are high. If you push a clean energy agenda and simply ignore fracking, you price it out of the market while creating jobs elsewhere and saving the planet. There's no need to alienate any potential voters when you can just use other policies to nudge them away from their position.

Claiming it is dangerous to the progressive agenda to have a candidate not openly oppose fracking is missing the forest for the trees. I'm not "attacking leftists", I am as far left as nearly anyone here outside of calling for anarchist utopia. I am just looking at the bigger picture instead of throwing tantrums when I don't understand why my one pet issue isn't directly recognized as the most important issue on the table.

The climate action Biden supports will end fracking without him having to come out and directly oppose it.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    A lot of politics is playing the conmans game. Getting people to do what you want with them thinking they got their on their own. And that's not a bad thing. If you can get people to sign on to your energy platform because you say "Yeah, Fracking is gonna be allowed" but you (and Biden literally did this) follow it up with "But it'll have to be safe, non-polluting and we're gonna be investing money in renewables and stop subsidizing oil" you're letting people get to your position on their own.

People hear and read "ban/get rid of fracking and drilling" and think "but how will I drive to work" or "how will I heat my home". Tell them "We're not gonna subsidize them anymore", and you're converting a republican dog whistle of sorts to your own ends while making your position seem a lot less scary. If you can do it right and make money, sure keep fracking. The lie is in the fact that it's near impossible to do it right and make money. But that's not the candidates problem to sell.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Per Newsweek:
    At the end of Trump's town hall, the NBC News YouTube channel showed 153,660 viewers were watching. ABC News's YouTube channel showed 507,445 viewers at the end of Biden's town hall.

That may just be a “young people are more likely to watch on YouTube” thing though.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    p3rovsxa1brd.png
    Twitter Shuts Down Entire Network To Slow Spread Of Negative Biden News https://babylonbee.com/news/twitter-shuts-down-entire-network-to-slow-spread-of-negative-biden-news
    via @TheBabylonBee
    Wow, this has never been done in history. This includes his really bad interview last night. Why is Twitter doing this. Bringing more attention to Sleepy Joe & Big T

The Babylon Bee is an incredibly shitty satire site that charges it's writers to submit to it and Trump just believed it was real.

edit: updated with screenshot as it was already deleted seems to still be up

Tav on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    We've gone past "Poe's Law is dead" to "Poe's Law has been zombified"

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I hope those numbers are right.

Although I did see one of my fave knitting YouTube ladies, she was streaming Biden on her phone, laptop, tablet, and iPad. While watching on TV.

Five screens, all showing Biden.

Just to spike that number.

Heh. Almost four times as many. Gonna make him cry.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's perhaps not his worst characteristic but I am regularly astonished at how tree-stump-fuckingly stupid he is.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Tav wrote: »

Twitter Shuts Down Entire Network To Slow Spread Of Negative Biden News https://babylonbee.com/news/twitter-shuts-down-entire-network-to-slow-spread-of-negative-biden-news
    via @TheBabylonBee
    Wow, this has never been done in history. This includes his really bad interview last night. Why is Twitter doing this. Bringing more attention to Sleepy Joe & Big T

The Babylon Bee is an incredibly shitty satire site that charges it's writers to submit to it and Trump just believed it was real.

And its deleted. That's the fourth tweet in two days they had to take down within an hour. Aand its back up. Huh.

Enc on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's perhaps not his worst characteristic but I am regularly astonished at how tree-stump-fuckingly stupid he is.

It's just astonishing sometimes.

The amount of folks that I get asking me if he's actually for real that dumb.

It's rather distressing

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

He’s prideful, wrathful, gluttonous, lustful, greedy, envious, and lazy. He’s an exemplar of every single one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

And yes, also very stupid.

It hurts me very deeply that millions of people look at that shambling collection of terrible qualities and think “yes, that’s what I want in a president.”

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is still up. It could just be twitter shitting itself

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Are there statistics for how viewership waxed and waned over the town halls?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Some people don’t want a leader smarter then they are and well he delivers on that.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

You're right. Its so weird, I got the removal message an hour ago.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Couscous wrote: »

I was going to say that I looked at his timeline and couldn't see it but it turns out that he's just posted and RT'd 38 things in the last hour and it was a bit down the list.

Tav on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Florida
    Biden 48% (+3)
    Trump 45%
    Mason-Dixon
    (LV, 10/8-12)

I can believe this. Biden could be winning Texas by 3 and Ohio by 2 and Florida would somehow still want to be closer.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah how inhuman and out of touch do you have to be to think comparing someone to Mister Rogers is a sick burn?

Remember, Fox & Friends literally ran a segment on how Mr. Rogers ruined the millenial generation.

That's the thing, though. Yeah, it's a sick burn to your core demographic... who you DESPERATELY need to expand beyond to win the election.

They keep doubling down on speaking to folks who are already, 100%, going to vote for them. This is not how you win an election where you're currently polling behind in double digits, and high single digits in the states you need to win.

But that's been the story of the campaign. They think they can just run the exact same playbook as last time and win. They've made no effort to expand their appeal.

The problem they have, is that those folks who are 100% for him? They're only 100% for him as long as he keeps doubling down on that stuff. He starts straying to try and get the people he needs to win the election, he risks offending those supporters. Trying to make grounds with ethnicities beyond white, religions beyond evangelical, genders and preferences beyond hetero male? In a manner that isn't obviously pandering (so the base knows it's only to get that groups votes, and isn't an actual change in the politician's stances). That's what'll fuck you with the base.

I mean, outside of a few "The President shouldn't have said THAT", the only real criticism the President has received from his base of support, is when he's NOT been a hard right authoritarian dickhead. Trying to work on a compromise = kowtowing to Pelosi.

It's the issue that federal Republicans have too. You need to reach out to the center, but if you stray too far from the base, the base will abandon you in favor of some reactionary dipshit (see Cantor v Brat).

Republicans are fine with winning ~26% of hearts and minds. Half+1 of the Republican Primary, and then half+1 of the general, by not pissing off the base, and having enough voters checking Republican out of tribal custom.

It's enough at the state level (Senators/Governors), but hoping it won't work for the Presidency.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    538 polling averages, including Rasmussen.
    National +10.6
    Wisconsin +7.7
    Michigan +7.8
    Pennsylvania +6.9
    Arizona +3.8
    Florida +4.1

Biden doesn't need Florida, Arizona, New Hampshire, Maine-2 or Nebraska-2.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Trump admin denied California a disaster declaration for the 6 catastrophic wild fires in the state. So "fuck you you vote for democrats" a real uniter that guy.

California has like the third most republican voters in it of any state too

Turds

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump admin denied California a disaster declaration for the 6 catastrophic wild fires in the state. So "fuck you you vote for democrats" a real uniter that guy.

Turds

Second to Texas in terms of Trump voters. 4.6 million to 4.5.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Turds

Remember in school when the teacher would punish the whole class because of one troublemaker?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Couple of catch up things:
    1. The Pew polls Elki showed make me feel better about how Trump’s folks might respond to a Biden win- more of them would be “disappointed” than “angry” compared to the last time

2. Conservatives can’t expand their base by definition, because they exist to keep power consolidated among the fewest people possible- they can only try to expand their votes by lying, cheating, stealing, etc

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

He’s prideful, wrathful, gluttonous, lustful, greedy, envious, and lazy. He’s an exemplar of every single one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

It hurts me very deeply that millions of people look at that shambling collection of terrible qualities and think “yes, that’s what I want in a president.”

It hurts me very deeply that millions of people apparently identify with him and/or exhibit those same traits. Trump is a visible symptom of the underlying problem, and that problem won't magically disappear if Trump loses. It's only the first step in a lot of necessary work.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Couple of catch up things:
    1. The Pew polls Elki showed make me feel better about how Trump’s folks might respond to a Biden win- more of them would be “disappointed” than “angry” compared to the last time

2. Conservatives can’t expand their base by definition, because they exist to keep power consolidated among the fewest people possible- they can only try to expand their votes by lying, cheating, stealing, etc

They do occasionally expand their base by redefining their definition, though it's been a long time since they did that.

Specifically referring to the inclusion of the Irish and Italians as "white", and Catholics as Christian, when for a period of time, they weren't.

But that's only when the numbers were moving to a point that they had to open their memberships, or they wouldn't survive.

I don't think there's a minority group they can co-opt at the moment, that the majority of the existing base wouldn't rebel against.

But then again, underestimating conservatives is what led us to the current circumstances. And the lure to an oppressed people to become one of the oppressors is pretty strong.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

It hurts me very deeply that millions of people apparently identify with him and/or exhibit those same traits. Trump is a visible symptom of the underlying problem, and that problem won't magically disappear if Trump loses. It's only the first step in a lot of necessary work.

I see him and I see everything my culture and values taught is wrong. It's highly dislocating to reality to realize that not everyone thinks bullying is a bad thing, but that in fact, many people admire bullies.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    "I am not banning fracking,” Joe Biden said at a Monday campaign stop in Pittsburgh. “Let me say that again. I’m not banning fracking, no matter how many times Donald Trump lies about me.”

For the past decade conventional wisdom has held that natural gas development is an issue that benefits Republicans over Democrats. It has motivated attacks from Trump and allied super PACs. The New York Times, in a representative headline, called it “The swing issue that could win a swing state.”
    The poll found Biden ahead of Trump by 8 points, 50-to-42, in Pa. However, Biden extends his lead over Trump to 15 points, 55-to-40, after respondents heard prominent talking points meant to reflect both parties’ positions on fracking and climate change. Biden’s net favorability rating also jumped 11 points, to 56-to-41, after respondents heard all the talking points.

The pro-Trump message read, in part: “Joe Biden wants to ban fracking in Pennsylvania, which would kill 600,000 jobs.” The pro-Biden message read, in part: “Joe Biden does not support a ban on fracking – he supports common sense safeguards to protect our water from contamination by toxic chemicals.”
    https://www.politicspa.com/climate-group-poll-fracking-and-climate-issues-benefit-dems-in-pa/95613/
    And full survey:
    https://app.luminpdf.com/viewer/5f4d3df957d30800189a5103

Biden is not an idiot. Polls are fairly divergent on fracking bans in the Midwest. Another Morning Consult poll sponsored by API (Big Oil) showed large majorities opppsing a ban and most polls show at best a split even among Dems. (Linked in the politicsPa page if you're interested).

But messaging matters. Biden has taken a hugely popular position (70-30 in favor) instead of a 50-50 position that Trump can spin as being a 40-60 position. And a heavily regulated fracking becomes indistinguishable from a fracking ban as you remove subsidies and favor renewable anyway so it isn't even a substantive huge difference.

Biden is good at this and there's a reason polls indicate he is likely to win the biggest landslide over an incumbent since Reagan over Carter. Trump being an incompetent monster is a huge part of it but Biden has optimized the D side to the point where there's a very strong possibility of a Democratic Trifecta.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    There is a ton between I'm not banning fracking and I'll let natural gas companies do whatever the fuck they want, while both paying them to do so and making it impossible to go after them for turning your home into an uninhabitable hellscape.

As was mentioned, fracking bans can be reversed. Making it so that alternatives are more profitable is the best way to ban fracking. Also doesn't let the allies of fracking siphon votes off of you because they claim said fracking ban will ruin the economy or cost people their jobs and the latter part is true.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »

The US somehow taught people the loud mouthed fool is a person who is telling it like it is

Couscous on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    +2 for Biden/Hickenlooper, done!

I haven't donated in a while this election. Is there a good sense of the best senate races to donate to in order to facilitate a flip? Biden's flush with cash and some downticket help seems like it would be best served at this point, and I'm looking for a good place to start.

This discussion has been closed.