As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I support pubs partnering with takeaways

But only so I can get a decent pint when I order food to be delivered

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also the pubs closing thing allows them to stay open if they're serving food, which is where people start asking what counts as food while hoping a bag of ready salted and a scotch egg will let them go to their local.

A toaster oven and a pile of frozen pizzas seems like it'd be the easy play. Otherwise that's a joke regulation.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Mayor of Liverpool has noticed the line about gyms as well, and is testily demanding to know why Liverpool's have to stay shut while Lancashire's remain open.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Let's be clear, The only way you 'detoxify' the debate is by tossing the terfs into the fucking sea. As is the case with all bigots

The fact that starmer is seemily not on board with this is a mark against him. He is not alone in this, all the major parties are shit on this point, but so is he none the less

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Oh, and we're double fucked as well anyway. Sky Reporter.

“Now is the time for our businesses to get ready. And we’re willing to discuss the practicalities”.

Now is the time?! What about the past FOUR years you incompetent plonker!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    The Mayor of Liverpool has noticed the line about gyms as well, and is testily demanding to know why Liverpool's have to stay shut while Lancashire's remain open.

11 out of the 16 MP's for Lancashire are Tory....

guess how many are Tory in Liverpool...

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

11 out of the 16 MP's for Lancashire are Tory....

guess how many are Tory in Liverpool...

16 out of 11?

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Exactly the type of rhetoric I expected from johnson. Blame the EU, try to frame it as the EU being 'unreasonable' and trying to refer to no deal as "Australia like". Nowhere near the reality of the UK being stubbornly unreasonable and having no intention to make any deal whatsoever.

This is how a slim 52-48 majority in a non binding referendum has ended - the most extreme option available.

And I assume there's been no clarification on what they're going to do with NI? One way or the other they should be building border infrastructure someplace for that. Unless their plan is to do the passive-aggressive thing of doing nothing, try to act as though it's BAU on January 1st, and then throw vitriol at the EU when they end up putting a border between NI and RoI.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    And I assume there's been no clarification on what they're going to do with NI? One way or the other they should be building border infrastructure someplace for that. Unless their plan is to do the passive-aggressive thing of doing nothing, try to act as though it's BAU on January 1st, and then throw vitriol at the EU when they end up putting a border between NI and RoI.

I think they are planning on pretending NI doesn't exist right up until some paramilitary group starts bombing them again like it's the 90s.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Exactly the type of rhetoric I expected from johnson. Blame the EU, try to frame it as the EU being 'unreasonable' and trying to refer to no deal as "Australia like". Nowhere near the reality of the UK being stubbornly unreasonable and having no intention to make any deal whatsoever.

This is how a slim 52-48 majority in a non binding referendum has ended - the most extreme option available.

"Give us everything we want, or we'll shoot the hostage."
    "Umm, Boris, you're the hostage."
    "My demand stands!"

That the Tories went into this thinking that the EU would just capitulate, that they had any real negotiating power, says everything about their ignorance and stupidity.

Capitulation would essentially mean the end of the EU. Because if the deal for leaving is as good as the deal for staying, what's the fucking point? The EU HAVE to be hardasses to basically discourage this shit from happening again. Not unreasonable, just hard enough that the merits of staying in the EU outweigh those for leaving.

And while the removal of the UK is a loss for the EU, and they would like to maintain some trade links, the UK need the EU more than the EU need the UK.

Only a blithering idiot blinded by nationalist pride wouldn't see that.

Ladies and gentlemen, your UK Prime Minister and his Cabinet.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Here in Ireland NPHET (the National Public Health Emergency Team) recommended to the government two weeks ago that the country go into a full Level 5 lockdown for four weeks. We didn't, gotta keep those pubs open, and now today NPHET are pushing for a six week Level 5 lockdown. Former taoiseach, now táiniste, Leo Varadkar says he's "yet to be convinced" it's needed.

So it's all going tits up here and Christmas is likely cancelled.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    I've been hoping that Boris would eventually just fold like the cheap(-looking) suits he shambles about in.

However, I've now basically just turned into this Onion article:

https://politics.theonion.com/this-will-be-the-end-of-trump-s-campaign-says-increa-1819578486

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I get the distinct feeling that Johnson and Cummings are being positioned as scapegoats for... basically all of 2020. Wait until we've crashed out of the EU, then kick them both out, allowing the Conservatives to simultaneously say that they delivered the Promised Holy Brexit and also no mate wasn't nothing to do with us it was that bloody Boris bloke.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"My demand stands!"

That the Tories went into this thinking that the EU would just capitulate, that they had any real negotiating power, says everything about their ignorance and stupidity.

Capitulation would essentially mean the end of the EU. Because if the deal for leaving is as good as the deal for staying, what's the fucking point? The EU HAVE to be hardasses to basically discourage this shit from happening again. Not unreasonable, just hard enough that the merits of staying in the EU outweigh those for leaving.

And while the removal of the UK is a loss for the EU, and they would like to maintain some trade links, the UK need the EU more than the EU need the UK.

I can't decide which is worse.
    That they truely believe this or that they know it's all bollocks but need to put on a show for their voters.

The media is being complicit, again. Boris frames this as the EU acting problematically, despite having signed the WA, not wanting to stick to it and then unilaterally undermining the GF agreement.
    The "canada style" deal is also a bunch of nonsense what from I've gathered, as the UK wants more than Canada receives.

This is just soul draining you guys.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pretty disgraceful that I'm still allowed to defile these letterboxes tbh

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Also a no deal Brexit during a recession due to a national pandemic that is spiralling out of control

Christ we are fucked

Solar on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    I think if he wants to separate himself from Corbyn priorities one through ten need to be avoiding as much public squabbling as possible. Yes putting a symbolic but futile resistance to this bill would be nice but it's so much less important than unity considering there is absolutely nothing Labour can do to prevent it.

While I get this, the bill is really awful in a variety of concrete and easily articulable ways

For instance, under this legislation, the government can, in principle, authorise an employee of the Food Standards Agency to murder someone

I think there were ways to put forward principled objections to this without inviting the Corbyn comparison

If there was a need to be weaselly about it there's always the old standard of "cannot support in its current form"
    Just to go back to this:

I'm not sure it can actually do that. IANAL, and what I have seen is lawyer discussion about it on Twitter rather than a formal analysis, but it seems like the fact that it requires human rights to still be respected means murder and torture and the like are off-limits (and that's if you believe that whoever the 'overseer' is of an FSA undercover asset would agree that murder is acceptable to maintain cover and secure a conviction, which I personally feel is unlikely). The "they'll let the government murder a trade unionist" line is directly from SKWARKBOX which is the Labour Left equivalent of "a high level Tory source," and doesn't seem to hold that much water.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I get the distinct feeling that Johnson and Cummings are being positioned as scapegoats for... basically all of 2020. Wait until we've crashed out of the EU, then kick them both out, allowing the Conservatives to simultaneously say that they delivered the Promised Holy Brexit and also no mate wasn't nothing to do with us it was that bloody Boris bloke.

Yep, it does look that way. I suspect that the role of fall guy was supposed to be filled by May, but circumstances forced Johnson in the hot seat early.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

Yep, it does look that way. I suspect that the role of fall guy was supposed to be filled by May, but circumstances forced Johnson in the hot seat early.

A clusterfuck of this magnitude requires multiple scapegoats. Johnson and Cummings won't be nearly enough.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    The problem with 'scapegoat and pretend your newly installed leader makes things entirely different' is that it also comes with the expectation of an election sooner rather than later - and this time there's no Corbyn opposing them to make it an easy win. I doubt 4 years of an installed tory PM (presumably gove, maybe sunak because who the hell else do they have?) would go down well. Of course this is an assumption from more normal times. With their majority I wouldn't put it past them to just carry on until they were forced into an election.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Also a no deal Brexit during a recessions due to a national pandemic that is spiralling out of control

Christ we are fucked

why would you intentionally take an axe to the half of jobs that survived COVID? it's absolute insanity

Also a no deal Brexit during a recession due to a national pandemic that is spiralling out of control

Christ we are fucked

I know there were studies showing how bad a no-deal Brexit would be under normal circumstances. I wonder if anyone has run the numbers for just how bad it'll be piling Brexit on top of the COVID recession.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Here in Ireland NPHET (the National Public Health Emergency Team) recommended to the government two weeks ago that the country go into a full Level 5 lockdown for four weeks. We didn't, gotta keep those pubs open, and now today NPHET are pushing for a six week Level 5 lockdown. Former taoiseach, now táiniste, Leo Varadkar says he's "yet to be convinced" it's needed.

So it's all going tits up here and Christmas is likely cancelled.

Whelp, best see if BA will give me credit or refund me for those tickets then.

sig.gif
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Di

Christ we are fucked

I know there were studies showing how bad a no-deal Brexit would be under normal circumstances. I wonder if anyone has run the numbers for just how bad it'll be piling Brexit on top of the COVID recession.

Not a chance in hell that anyone in the government has done that.

Its 2 whole months away, thats ages away, why even think about it?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Di

Christ we are fucked

Also, simultaneously,

"It's only 2 months away, it's too late to do anything about it, I'm sure it'll all work out fine"

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    GaryO wrote: »
    Di

Christ we are fucked

It'll definitely have been done by Whitehall, and then hidden in the darkest of dark basements (likely made easier by the amount of sheer darkness radiating from the report itself) along with the author themselves in all likelyhood.

Tastyfish on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Well, I expect that most of us saw this coming from the time of the referendum results.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Well, I expect that most of us saw this coming from the time of the referendum results.

This or a pointless Norway style thing, but if you'd asked me then I'd have put money on the latter.
    I might still collect in a couple of years time...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I mean, it was probably just the optimist in me hoping for a good resolution, but after the referendum I was certain that somebody would recognise the utter shitstorm that leaving the EU would entail and decide to either retract our withdrawal or (more probably) kick the can indefinitely down the road.

Four years later and we're staring down the barrel of a No Deal during the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic. Fucking Christ.

• PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"My demand stands!"

This was always the attitude of the brexit crowd though - the expectation that the EU will capitulate "because they always do". I heard this line a lot from my brexit supporting friends (a lot of which are Academics in STEM which beggared belief, but whatever).

Meanwhile the German business confederation were writing open letters to Merkel saying "we will take a hit from this but we believe it is worth it because there is principle at stake."

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Right everyone, time to get your loo roll and pasta in again then.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Right everyone, time to get your loo roll and pasta in again then.

Already stocked on those since I was expecting the second Covid wave panic buying.
    The Brexit will hit hardest on the fresh produce and we have no way of stockpiling those. :(

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We've been doing small amounts of stockpiling ever since we moved in anticipation of the shops going to shit again at some point. Got a jumbo bag of pasta, some extra loo rolls. Hmm, we should probably get one of the 5kg bags of Yorkshire tea in.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    there will be adequate jam

I, uh, just bought a 10kg bag of basmati rice. I live on my own.

Am I part of the problem?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Did you ensure that Brexit would be the worst possible fuckup it could be?

Fencingsax wrote: »

Did you ensure that Brexit would be the worst possible fuckup it could be?

Of course I did. For the bantz. The cheeky, cheeky bantz.
    (I voted remain, like everyone else who saw this shit coming 4 years ago.)

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Do you have soy sauce to go with it?

This discussion has been closed.