As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    good, that's the important victory

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i have watched my fair share of jeopardy, and like playing along, but i didn't know that you just flat couldn't be on stage if you had a negative score before final jeopardy happened

i also have never even thought of like...why is it called jeopardy, what does that have to do with anything at all? it's such an Institution that the name/word doesn't really mean anything I guess.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    i have watched my fair share of jeopardy, and like playing along, but i didn't know that you just flat couldn't be on stage if you had a negative score before final jeopardy happened

i also have never even thought of like...why is it called jeopardy, what does that have to do with anything at all? it's such an Institution that the name/word doesn't really mean anything I guess.

when they were pitching it, a producer was trying to figure out the mechanics of the game and went “I dunno, it needs more jeopardy,” and here we are

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You're in danger.... of looking like a FOOL

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

when they were pitching it, a producer was trying to figure out the mechanics of the game and went “I dunno, it needs more jeopardy,” and here we are

this is great

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Are the Lost Points archived anywhere? They were one of my favourite things about watching Lost when it aired.

I've found one post of them by searching but if someone has already done this, that'd be better because I don't know if I can stomach searching through 13 year old threads containing posts from me.

I have them in a folder somewhere
    Or at least most of them
    The last time I entertained anybody!

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Colin Robinson has grown too powerful.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    So I've been watching Fargo Season 4 and it's okay. I gave up on season 3 a few episodes in and while this isn't boring me as much, it's also not really hitting the highs of seasons one or two. It's okay. It's good.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jackie Daytona rules.

That whole episode was head to toe fantastic.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In this first episode of the new Star Trek Discovery season there is a background character that is the same race as Morn from DS9. Thought I’d share that for those interested.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

For those of y'all with little one, this show's gonna rule

But just as a general TV culture thing, the fact that there's an American show with an ENTIRELY native creative team is absolutely mind-blowingly cool

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    In this first episode of the new Star Trek Discovery season there is a background character that is the same race as Morn from DS9. Thought I’d share that for those interested.

Are you sure it's not just Morn? He's always up to something crazy, never know with that guy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I love Lucy Punch.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Finished up Runaways earlier this week.

I can't believe we got the double gut punch of 2 cancelled show dangling threads in one.
    Cloak and Dagger(which was amazing) have a cross over where they make a reference to potential future crossovers that will never happen. And then of course the dangling thread at the end of the actually show.

It hurt deep.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I’m 4 episodes into The Haunting of Hill House

So far it is way more depressing than scary, but it is compelling in its way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also, I have not at all been able to find any legitimate way to watch Helstrom in Canada, if anyone happens to stumble upon one I’d appreciate it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I missed Discovery, it's good to have it back.
    I wonder if they're going to get into why dilithium combusted on such a dramatic scale or if they're just going to leave it there as the catalyst for this setting, but either way, "That'll do it", as they say.

Sonequa also did some acting this episode,
    and like, this show gets up its own ass at times, but considering what Michael has been through I think it works.

The scene at the end really got me, the actor playing Sahil really sold the understated joy and renewed hope from meeting Michael.

• Options
    I burned through WWDITS too fast.

I want more

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Ive started Star Trek Discovery, can some one tell me what the complaints were for the early episodes of Season 1?

I really liked the pilot/1st episode.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ive started Star Trek Discovery, can some one tell me what the complaints were for the early episodes of Season 1?

The camera motion and angles were a little much a lot of the time. The Klingon redesign was bleh. Those were my main grumps about it, though on the whole I enjoyed both seasons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The mennonites on Letterkenny absolutely destroy me.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

S2E1 Schitt's Creek
    The Amish family hosting David for 3 days but also passive aggressively urging his family to take him away because they couldn't stand him had me rolling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Can Confirm

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I love Lucy Punch.

I think The Good Place really missed an opportunity to use her as like, a combination of eleanor and tahani

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

For me it was the total reliance on having Klingons speak Klingon instead of just translating it for us. My mom specifically had trouble reading all the subtitles before they disappeared off screen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

It's mostly the huge disconnect in tone and aesthetic from previously established Trek, to the point where it's pretty hard to square it with the rest of the franchise

if you just watch it as its own thing, it's a pretty great show

sig.gif
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

It's mostly the huge disconnect in tone and aesthetic from previously established Trek, to the point where it's pretty hard to square it with the rest of the franchise

I'm on ep 6 of season 1 for context
    I really liked how the pilot established the usual star trek atmosphere and show the turn to the new tone. I explained to my cousin, when i recommended to him to watch the show, why this is show would interest him - that the Klingon war with the Federation had mostly been alluded to in other shows and seeing it in action would set it apart from even DS9.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed some parts of Discovery, but I stopped after a couple episodes into season 2 when it became clear they weren't interested in fixing the parts of the show I think are bad.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I love the documentary show so far, and I'll watch season 2, but...why

It already felt noticeably stretched at 8 episodes, and there's still one more this weekend. The NXIVM story, while nuts, doesn't feel like it warrants that much discussion, at least in my opinion

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Wy wife's been watching that and I'm not sure there's enough story for one season tbh

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This is more about Picard than Discovery but there seems to be a general feeling held by the people currently in control of the franchise that it needs to be more “modern”. And when I say modern I have course mean that the Federation more and more becomes a direct analogy for the United States and all of its ugly glory. Also the addition of concepts and attitudes like “government or military hero is antagonistic to the press”. I don’t know about you but I don’t go to Star Trek for the idea that we haven’t managed to improve in even the most minor ways.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The current season of discovery feels very much to be swinging back to the idealism in a good way.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I will give Discovery another shot if the stakes are not all life in the galaxy for the fourth time

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Even as it's own thing I kinda hated the early episodes, mostly because virtually every character was a different flavor of asshole. It was hard to get invested about anything that was happening because I honestly didn't care if most of the cast lived or died.

Also their take on Klingons seemed...to lean way more heavily into the "noble savage warrior race" trope than any other Trek (that I can recall, anyway). Which, combined with that fact that they also gave the Klingons much darker skin just felt really uncomfortable to me. Every time there was a significant Klingon scene, I couldn't help but think, "Is this kinda racist? It feels kinda racist."

I gave up by, like, episode 4 because I just wasn't having a good time at all.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Discovery S3E1, first commercial break
    The first thing I thought when Michael learned she was in the distant future was well, the Federation’s gone now

I’m a litte bit disappointed that they made up one singular cataclysm for it rather than just, well, it’s been centuries, governments don’t last that long.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well!

Discovery S3E1 again
    SOMEBODY played Death Stranding

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The first thing I thought when Michael learned she was in the distant future was well, the Federation’s gone now

I’m a litte bit disappointed that they made up one singular cataclysm for it rather than just, well, it’s been centuries, governments don’t last that long.
    The Federation certainly isn't invincible and has come close to the brink of collapse before, but upon pondering it more I think The Burn works to cripple the galaxy and leave everyone on a level playing ground.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wellington Paranormal is a spinoff of What We Do In The Shadows, I started watching the first episode on SBS On Demand 5 minutes ago and I had to pause it and come here to insist that everyone in this thread gives it a shot.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wellington Paranormal is a spinoff of What We Do In The Shadows, I started watching the first episode on SBS On Demand 5 minutes ago and I had to pause it and come here to insist that everyone in this thread gives it a shot.

I dont think its accessable to most of us yet

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

The Federation certainly isn't invincible and has come close to the brink of collapse before, but upon pondering it more I think The Burn works to cripple the galaxy and leave everyone on a level playing ground.
    Yeah the rest of the episode put it into context that for now at least, the plot is "reconnect the galaxy" and they did need something more than "well things changed" to justify that. Nobody would want the Federation to come back if there was a new stable government that replaced it.

Also they sure went back to the ripping off Mass Effect well, again, after Beyond and Picard. But it's that + Death Stranding this time.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.