As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I thought I liked the spear but I think I actually don't? It feels like a hybrid of a melee and ranged weapon in a bad way and all of the attacks feel just a little too clunky.

I dunno. Someone sell me on the spear.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I thought I liked the spear but I think I actually don't? It feels like a hybrid of a melee and ranged weapon in a bad way and all of the attacks feel just a little too clunky.

I dunno. Someone sell me on the spear.

Get the Chain Skewer hammer upgrade

Alternatively, charge the regular attack, and then instead of releasing it normally, dash in the direction you want to hit

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I thought Spear was good when I got the right hammer upgrades but other stuff is just better

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The Hades aspect for the spear is pretty terrific when you level it up. Charge your spin as enemies are spawning and you start each engagement with a lot of damage and something like a 70% damage bonus on everything your swing hits. It turns a "why would I use this" move into a core gesture, which is always great.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    That’s actually about where I am with the spear. It was my first clear weapon, but the more I’ve gotten used to others the clunkier it has felt. I wasn’t huge on sword until I got the hidden aspect, but now that has caused the spear to drop solidly to my least favorite weapon.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like the base spear, and I rely a lot on the ranged attacks with it. I specifically don't do chain skewer though - it's all about the recall for me. There's an ability that gives the spear bonus crit chance and armor piercing on recall that I really like - combine that with like a backstab Chaos boon and some Artemis boons and you can do some very impressive crits with it

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Finishing up the duo boons prophecy feels special
    vVMTgqF.png

I never again have to take a boon to finish a prophecy.

Still missing a spear and a fists upgrade for their prophecies, though.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I look forward to never again taking a non-optimal boon for the sake of getting materials, but right now I like getting the materials and filling the list

The spear is interesting to me because I think my first impression of it—triple stab with Athena boon on Attack—gave me a kind of skewed impression about how powerful it is

I think in my heart of hearts I'd probably want Doom on its special, maybe with Chain Skewer. Are there any hammer upgrades that are particularly good for the Aspect of Achilles? I do like the damage bonuses you get with it and the ability to reposition yourself in a flash

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I like the spear a lot but it took me a while to get a 32 heat win with it. Though "it took me a while" when I've only won with Sword and Spear at that heat doesn't mean too much I guess. It took ~8 attempts probably.

Achilles' Spear is one of the best for cast-based builds. +150% damage on a cast is huge for big hits. I had a Freezing Trippy Fog that hit for 1400 damage with the spear buff active. Instant kill any enemies and chunked bosses down. I love that playstyle.

If you're okay with a high risk-reward setup then I think the secret spear is actually great for a high heat run. It has innate healing so you can turn on -100% healing and just heal from your weapon. If you can get the Daedalus hammers that improve spin attacks you're pretty much golden. It's a bit weak against bosses though so tempering your level of extreme measures would be key.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    EkaatajVkAEpVFc?format=jpg&name=large

Here is a run that I thought was going to be hopeless until I got two hammers in Elysium; the first had Shadow Slash, when I already had Excruciating Ambush, and when World Splitter came up... I guess the rest wrote itself

I was critting Theseus, Asterius, and the final boss for about 1400 apiece, and would have been getting even more if I had been using a shot-based cast like Aphrodite or Artemis

A run coming together very late in the game is satisfying

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    My favorite runs are the ones where I lose 1-2 death defiance through Elysium because my build is a complete shitshow and then everything clicks and I tear through the rest of the run.

Often bolstered by finding Patroclus, but still.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    My favorite runs are the ones where I lose 1-2 death defiance through Elysium because my build is a complete shitshow and then everything clicks and I tear through the rest of the run.

Often bolstered by finding Patroclus, but still.

That just happened to me, I took the sword upgrade that reduces your max health but Attacking gives you 2 health. It wasn't a great build but I managed to squeak though with lots of incidental damage sources, healing by beating up those flaming skulls.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    just had an erubus gate with minichariots on fists, fucking horseshit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Sounds like a lot of run-cast-run-cast-run-cast-ohgodwhy-run-cast

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I just had a run with the aspect of Poseidon where I went deep through Artemis's boons and some lucky chaos rolls. Basically, Poseidon call, the damage on dislodge, mark on crit, Artemis cast, 40% move speed bonus damage for move speed and the health on attack (+flurry) hammer abilities -- oh, and bonus bloodstone

I would do a significant fraction of Hades' health bar -- like a quarter -- just with one set of casts and recoveries. It was nuts, just an insanely fast fight.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

That's basically the worst combination for me, and I don't plan ahead enough with fists to get a cast like, Poseidon to take them out.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

That's basically the worst combination for me, and I don't plan ahead enough with fists to get a cast like, Poseidon to take them out.

I had aphrodite :(

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

you can just run/dash away from them and they'll suicide on their own after a while

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

you can just run/dash away from them and they'll suicide on their own after a while

This is a coward move. The fist special has just enough range to kill the chariots from outside their explosion range.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

This is a coward move. The fist special has just enough range to kill the chariots from outside their explosion range.

Evading the chariots is good practice for Asterius

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I finally made it to the last boss, hooray
    I got absolutely bodied, only took away about half his health. Had a fun shoeld build that really only came together late, lightning on cast and on Poseidon knockback, with the dash and attack knockback boons, and the Ares/Zeus duo that auto triggered lightning every few seconds and an epic version of the AoE upgrade for the lightning strikes.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fun fact: Benefits Package can give those mini-chariots a laser that links them, which I also discovered in an Erebus gate. Did not last long.

Also, the benefit that means enemies periodically give surrounding enemies a shield? Is hell in rooms full of armoured skulls. Luckily I had Ares blade boons, but oof, rough.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I got to that symphony late, did they play Zias theme from Bastion?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My #1 favorite little thing is going over to your fan shade after the theseus battle and saying hi

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Discovered in my last run that Athena's deflect on Attack is pretty funny with the hidden sword.
    Against waves of ranged enemies, I used the defensive aura to slow bullets down which made timing the reflects really easy. The Exposed boon works nicely for melee enemies too, since it sets you up for great backstab combos (helped by the deflect boons also giving a good +% damage increase).

I wouldn't consider it broken, but it ended up a much more functional choice than I would've guessed before picking it up.

• Options
    Discovered in my last run that Athena's deflect on Attack is pretty funny with the hidden sword.
    Against waves of ranged enemies, I used the defensive aura to slow bullets down which made timing the reflects really easy. The Exposed boon works nicely for melee enemies too, since it sets you up for great backstab combos (helped by the deflect boons also giving a good +% damage increase).

I wouldn't consider it broken, but it ended up a much more functional choice than I would've guessed before picking it up.
    Batter UP!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Relationship spoilers:
    Hades saying "Congratulations, boy." when Zag comes out of his room after knocking around with Meg is very awkward and funny.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Can't do spear on 1 Heat, even. I just need the right synergy.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Something has finally clicked for me in this game (probably that I've finally figured out how to deal with Theseus).

I went from one clear in like 40 attempts to 3 clears in a row with different weapons.

I had a super fun rail clear where I had homing 3 shot no reload artemis attacks, the artemis homing arrow on hit, and homing ares rift casts. I just ran away blindfiring and won.

• Options
    I put on Extreme Measures 3 for the first time on a 6-heat bow run and lmao @ upgraded Theseus
    luckily I had an extremely good shoot-and-scoot build with Hera aspect and Dionysus cast, plus Hades on attack, Aphrodite on dash, and their duo. So I could just chunk them for ~1000 and then dash around them while they take continuous doom damage. Ultimately only lost one DD and that was to Hydra.

• Options
    EM3 Theseus is wonderful. The conversations you get after reaching him are so much fun.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I just started playing last week and I made it to the surface last night on run 11. The boss there made me real deal real quick (no Death's Defiance at that point) but I felt pretty good about it.

I celebrated by starting another run in which I unlocked the last of my weapons (rail) and took it for a spin. Meet Demeter and her chill status for the first time and then proceeded to eat shit in Tartarus. This weapon is going to take some getting used to...

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Lucifer Rail with Poseidon boon on attack turns it into a hilarious super soaker. :)
    Fucked up that run when I picked up a duo Ares/Poseidon cast and just not being able to wrap my head around it, but it was pretty fun until then.

• Options
    I love how after beating the final boss a couple times their interaction starts becoming
    Hades: You want to talk you know where to go.
    Zagreus: Fine, I'll be up there to kick the shit out of you again soon.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    jh1k34djfppi.jpg

Finally got through again. And with the shield this time.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've done probably 80 some runs and I just got a new miniboss in the 4th area?
    King Vermin??? This should be illegal

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I basically stopped running miniboss zones in Nyx once I realized you don't have to because of how many runs got ended by king vermin.

Of course I realized today that I'm missing one miniboss for the fate and it's definitely in Nyx, so I guess I'll be running them again.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Remind me, is that the big one or the small burrowing fucker?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Remind me, is that the big one or the small burrowing fucker?
    it's that tiny motherfucker