As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Remember there's a bunch of ways you can get platinum coins by finding some hidden objects on various Nintendo sites. You can see which ones in the earn points section. I saw this coming and managed to get enough points this morning for the 35th anniversary poster set (way cooler than pins). It's 800 platinum points, and there's also an accessories case with Mario's face on it that's also 800 platinum points.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    So I had been kind of obsessively watching reactions to Mario 3D All-Stars, partly because I was kind of fascinated about the "nostalgia factor", since I have NONE of my own for any of these games (remember, lifelong PC gamer, this is my first "real" console since the original NES). I still ended up buying it though, my first AAA purchase for the Switch.

So starting Mario 64, as you might expect, I was confronted with an old game with old controls, and it was a bit annoying sometimes. And then I went into the water levels and just HATED the controls, so terrible. But it was fun enough to pick up a few stars here and there, I played for a couple of hours... and then somehow I was at like 20 stars, and thinking ahead to the stars I would get next. I got all/most of the stars in the first couple of worlds, and they are already like real places in my brain that I can picture very clearly. It's kind of amazing.

For a comparison, I've recently noodled around with Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but Mario 64 honestly just holds up way better for me. OoT has a LOT of waiting and pauses with doors and chests and dialogue and stuff. But in M64, if you die BOOM tossed out of world BOOM jump back in. If you had talked to a boom bro to turn on the cannons, they will still be turned on even after you die. For the most part, only the red coins represent progress you can "lose" when dying, and there's exactly one per level, so no surprises there. The open-ended choice of which star to pursue feels very liberating, and stumbling over a totally different star is like a surprise present. I'm actually kind of excited, now, to play Mario Odyssey (which I did just pick up as well, though probably saving it for Xmas for the kids).

Only tried out Mario Sunshine, and man, it's a WEIRD Mario game. It's way less fast and technical, and way more "messy" and slower but also very pretty. It starts out with Mario arrested, jailed, convicted, and cleaning up the island as his community service?! I had no idea, it's kinda hilarious, and I can't help thinking that there's no WAY that Nintendo would allow it now.

I'm enjoying myself very much overall with my purchase, obviously.

Sunshine is kind of an odd duck. In a lot of ways it shares way more DNA with Odyssey than pretty much any other Mario game.

I’ve tried to bring this up before but haven’t found the best way to put it, but-Sunshine, in its way was a precursor to the WiiU. Attempting to follow-up a wildly successful and influential predecessor while saddled with an awkward gimmick.

I liked Sunshine. I would have liked it a huge amount more if the game had been a truly open island world, and if the challenge levels were collectable, so going into any one of the portals for them would bring you to a menu were any previous levels could also be selected.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was about to post a snarky, "And their out!" comment concerning the new My Nintendo merch, but I was actually able to spend my 800 Platinum coins to get the Mario posters.

Wow, I'm actually shocked.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I already grabbed that zipper case. I kinda wanted the Mario posters but my wife was all NAAAAH.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Shockingly I was exactly able to afford the zipper case with today's 10 coins. At first I didn't want to go for it, thinking that tomorrow they'll probably put up an awesome statuette for the same price or something, but then I remembered these points expire and I might as well use 'em on something nice and functional while I'm actually thinking about them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I had a huge amount of fun with OoT3D
    and I didn't have any nostalgia for the original.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Ocarina holds up pretty well. It still has puzzles and some exploration. The field is pretty sparse with not a lot there but that's not really a huge issue.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I downloaded the Kingdom Hearts rhythm game and boy is it disappointing. It's clearly the spiritual successor to Theatrhythm, but it feels really bad. The camera angle makes it nearly impossible to tell when you're supposed to hit the buttons.

They should have just made another Theatrhythm game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Well, looks like my Switch just bricked. I noticed that the screen was on and it was sitting on the Switch icon boot screen. Turning it off and on with and without the SD card in just resulted in it getting stuck on that screen.

jothki wrote: »
    Well, looks like my Switch just bricked. I noticed that the screen was on and it was sitting on the Switch icon boot screen. Turning it off and on with and without the SD card in just resulted in it getting stuck on that screen.

There are some other things you can try, I would google for it. Holding the power button for 15+ seconds is one thing, there's also a certain button combo to boot into recovery mode.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

turn it off, leave it off for a good long while (off, not sleep, meaning hold the power button down for a good long while). let it full charge, then try turning it on again to test. best of luck!

• jothkijothki Registered User regular

There are some other things you can try, I would google for it. Holding the power button for 15+ seconds is one thing, there's also a certain button combo to boot into recovery mode.

It doesn't seem to boot up far enough to reach Recovery Mode, unfortunately.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Try a literal minute.

Also try Pailryder's suggestion.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If anyone was looking for Mario Kart Live, Target was easy to buy it for pick up this morning.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

For reasons that elude me, I just don't care much for Ocarina of Time.

I like the characters. I like the story. I loved the manga version. But just getting into the game? I have a hard time with that.

I got the game right when it first came out, pre-ordered at Kaybee Toys, but by the time I got into the forest temple, my interest just started to fade.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

My launch day Switch wouldn't start one night, I read a few things online (after the loud swearing, of course)

Holding the power button for 90 seconds sorted it for me. I didn't have another issue until I traded it in for the revised version with the better battery.

That also caused swearing as I had to do the transfer in store to not lose my Splatoon saves. The staff in Gamestop were very patient, especially when I had to plug both consoles into the mains.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
      I'm torn on if i should suggest Vigil the longest night at least right now despite loving everything about the game.

7 hours in and i have had several crashes and the initial boot up loading time is about 3 minutes long and in game loading screens run the gambit of 25-40 seconds.

Also oddly enough for a dark souls style exploration game is that it use's the save point system being that when you die you have to load your last save which is.. painful in some places

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I don't know how many folks out there are like me and haven't played it on other systems already, but Return of the Obra Dinn is actually on sale on the eShop today for (I think) the first time. It's 50% off, down to $9.99. I'm grabbing it once I'm off work for the day I think.

edited October 2020
      I don't know how many folks out there are like me and haven't played it on other systems already, but Return of the Obra Dinn is actually on sale on the eShop today for (I think) the first time. It's 50% off, down to $9.99. I'm grabbing it once I'm off work for the day I think.

More people should play this. Be prepared to use deductive reasoning and solve some elimination logic puzzles ("if he's not this, and we already know this other guy is this, then he must be this"). I would almost compare this more to a puzzle book, where you're observing every illustration closely for details and taking notes in an actual notebook.

UncleSporky on
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Obra Dinn is an astonishing game, but you can only play it once.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/jbvgk5/you_should_avoid_cloudpunk_on_the_switch/

I saw this post and wanted to post it here as well as a warning to people. Cloudpunk seems like an outrageously bad port with Superman 64 level draw distance. (Higher res pics at the link.)

cToOs3E.png

hoYADNl.png

cWpY5u0.png

Now these screens WERE cherry picked to show the worst of the game, here is a screen I took from a Youtube gameplay video on Switch:

umTAWVn.png

But this is how the game is being advertised on the eshop:

6lGYqb7.png

It's like night and day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/jbvgk5/you_should_avoid_cloudpunk_on_the_switch/

I saw this post and wanted to post it here as well as a warning to people. Cloudpunk seems like an outrageously bad port with Superman 64 level draw distance. (Higher res pics at the link.)

cToOs3E.png

hoYADNl.png

cWpY5u0.png

Now these screens WERE cherry picked to show the worst of the game, here is a screen I took from a Youtube gameplay video on Switch:

umTAWVn.png

But this is how the game is being advertised on the eshop:

6lGYqb7.png

It's like night and day.

uuugh.. It’s like you get only 30% of the game.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      I can’t really tell the difference, except more trees in the top right.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

It looks like it's mostly draw distance related. On the top, there are more trees in the image and you can now see clouds. On the bottom, there are parts of the building in the second picture that don't even exist in the first.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Wasn't one of the other complaints on that Switch port that the framerate was pretty brutal? I wonder if they've improved that with the patch.

And yes, Cloudpunk looks terrible on the Switch. I watched a few videos and they have such a bad draw distance and they scaled back on the city/lighting so it looks like you're not even in a city half the time. Curious - how do things like that generally work? The PC developer is trying to defend the Switch version - that the cherrypicked screenshots aren't fair - but also trying to push blame to the group who ported it to the Switch. Is that common for a dev to sell the porting rights to a game and then completely lose control even on something like screenshots?

It just feels like the game is now getting bad enough press to potentially impact their other platform sales and they seem to have no way to fix it.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      Its common to outsource Switch ports because so many x86 studios have no idea how to develop for ARM. No idea how that relates to screenshots though.

Taramoor wrote: »

Obra Dinn is an astonishing game, but you can only play it once.

I find that these types of games are literally my favorites of all time.

Anyone that hasn't played Outer Wilds MUST do so. Immediately. Don't look up any hints. Just let is marinate for as long as it has to. It took me a month of playing basically nothing else but it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, not even just limited to video games.

It's not on the Switch so this is somewhat off topic, but it's very Return of the Obra Dinn-esque in the way you have to deduce everything yourself but it's a very tight knit game despite being so minimalist.

They are both art of the highest caliber.

edited October 2020

I'm anti-tree ever since I played So You Wanna Be The Guy and a tree "dropped" an apple on me upwards so more trees um I lost my train of thought

Drez on
      Hmm I bought Cloudpunk but I haven't loaded it yet. Can I get a reeferund?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Inbento is on sale for 3 and change
      I would recommend it. It's a minimalist puzzle basically you have to create designs with bento boxes to solve puzzles

edited October 2020
      Been having a total blast with Ys Origin, an ancient PC game which came to Switch like 2 weeks ago. It's pretty much "What if Diablo was a Brawler?" and a GOOD brawler like Streets of Rage. Or maybe even something more agile like Devil May Cry. The plain cutesy graphics and ho-hum dialogue belie the intense, white-knuckled gameplay of jumping and dancing around as a deadly whirlwind spraying demon gibs everywhere. Unlike Diablo you can avoid most hits by gitting gud so this is far from a mindless affair, unless you want it to be by grinding a bit or toning down the difficulty. That really comes in handy because the boss fights can be tough, but you can learn their pattern to the point of plenty of zero-damage runs showing up on youtube.

Ex-gamexplain Jon recorded a short and decent review here, showing plenty of that fast gameplay.

Technical note, it feels like the game is stuck in 720p even in docked mode, without any kind of anti-aliasing. Although performance is flawless, you might get something a little sharper on other platforms. Not that the textures or sprites were very high res to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3jkWa9A00E

rahkeesh2000 on
    • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      I loved LttP, but I never had an N64, since I was firmly in Sega's camp... so while everyone was playing OoT, I was hooked on Lunar and Dragon Force, which pretty much set my RPG preferences in stone for the next decade or two.

wVEsyIc.png
    • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Been having a total blast with Ys Origin, an ancient PC game which came to Switch like 2 weeks ago. It's pretty much "What if Diablo was a Brawler?" and a GOOD brawler like Streets of Rage. Or maybe even something more agile like Devil May Cry. The plain cutesy graphics and ho-hum dialogue belie the intense, white-knuckled gameplay of jumping and dancing around as a deadly whirlwind spraying demon gibs everywhere. Unlike Diablo you can avoid most hits by gitting gud so this is far from a mindless affair, unless you want it to be by grinding a bit or toning down the difficulty. That really comes in handy because the boss fights can be tough, but you can learn their pattern to the point of plenty of zero-damage runs showing up on youtube.

Ex-gamexplain Jon recorded a short and decent review here, showing plenty of that fast gameplay.

Technical note, it feels like the game is stuck in 720p even in docked mode, without any kind of anti-aliasing. Although performance is flawless, you might get something a little sharper on other platforms. Not that the textures or sprites were very high res to begin with.

Welcome to the Ys world! There's a bunch more games in the series to get cracking on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Welcome to the Ys world! There's a bunch more games in the series to get cracking on.

Book I/II collection hasn't been that fun but I'm totally into this. Maybe I should figure out if/when the series got this breakneck pace and button mashy goodness.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      I enjoyed Origin a lot, but it has its foundations in Oath in Felghana, probably my favorite Ys game.

1 & 2 have the best OST by a mile, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMnM5LA4n3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8S76rk98uk

cj iwakura on
      wVEsyIc.png
    • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      I was about to post a snarky, "And their out!" comment concerning the new My Nintendo merch, but I was actually able to spend my 800 Platinum coins to get the Mario posters.

You were off by a day. NOW you can say it.

jergarmar on
      When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
      cj iwakura wrote: »
      I loved LttP, but I never had an N64, since I was firmly in Sega's camp... so while everyone was playing OoT, I was hooked on Lunar and Dragon Force, which pretty much set my RPG preferences in stone for the next decade or two.

Along with wanting a SNES FF Collection (with V) on the Switch, I also really want the Lunar games. Make it happen Nintendo/Sega/whomever.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Nightslyr wrote: »
      cj iwakura wrote: »

Along with wanting a SNES FF Collection (with V) on the Switch, I also really want the Lunar games. Make it happen Nintendo/Sega/whomever.

GameArts allowed a Grandia collection so it's not outside the realm of possibility. The question is will you get the versions you want? Silver Star Story has been remade half a dozen times, and I think only the PSP release was alright after the PSX version. Our luck we'd get the shit GBA version.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited October 2020
      jergarmar wrote: »
      MNC Dover wrote: »

You were off by a day. NOW you can say it.

Oh wow, it did sell out. Considering how long it remained up I thought they were making them to order, guess not.

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.