As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Whew, so my wife company (that I also use to work for) has these bi-yearly meetings/videos where the CEO talks about how much money the company made and how their cutting benefits. Apparently they didn't use to be all bad, but in the 4 years I worked there, I never saw one I didn't leave furious about them making record profits and yet cutting benefits. Anyway she had to watch one today (Its mandatory). Basically every meme and stereotype about corporate bullshit exists in this company.

I watched a bit with her and whoo boy. First off, it should be known that for the business their in, they are often either the #1 or #2 for having the most business in the USA, they never hurt for money. And sure enough, they didn't hit their profit goal for 2020, but they did make more profit then last year, which was their biggest year before this year. Anyway their also doing a big push for donating to religious organizations their calling "The Blessed Ones", which sounds like a spin off of The Leftovers, and they want their notoriously underpaid staff (#1 in the country for business in this field, #7 on staff pay) to donate. F that. Oh also since they can't do the big holiday party this year that they usually do for all their offices, they had an idea, their going to donate that money the company would normally spend on parties on...not the employees, but a charity the CEO has people "working the logistics of on". Which I'm sure is a nice tax write off for the company. Oh and I guess they might not get their $75 holiday bonus this year because they want to take the temperature of employees on if that should be donated as well, so even if everyone at my wife's office says 'No we would like our bonus' they can decide 'Nah were donating it to a charity so we pay less taxes!!'.

Its like, charity is wonderful, but not when your pushed, prodded, and forced to do it because of someone else's beliefs.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The charity they're working the logistics on is the charity the CEO's spouse works for operates and they're going to grift 80% of it into their pockets.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha. Fuckin. So HR decided to wait until 4:30pm yesterday to email me back, knowing that teachers are off the clock at 3pm.

"Yes we need you back."

...fucking okay, I guess? I'll just drag my constantly exposed ass to campus. Golly, I sure do hope I'm not a potential vector for the fucking plague that has a high chance to kill most of my coworkers, seeing as they're generally old, overweight, asthmatic, and have all sorts of other health issues.

Whatever. This is the last nail in the coffin for me; I was already leaning toward looking for a new job this spring when things get posted, but now I'm 100% set on getting the fuck out of this podunk small-town school district.

Fuck all of this.

PSN: decatus90
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I'm covering for 5 different classes, each with one assignment that you could reasonably complete in one 50-minute class period.

It was assigned four days ago and is due next Monday.

13 students have so far turned it in.

13 students out of 125.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Decent open source CAD is like, the last great frontier of community-based SW dev, which is to say I am aware of nothing that is even close to approaching the capabilities or ease of use of commercial software.

Someone needs to put something together using gltf and WebGL, and that somebody needs to not be me.

Edit: anyway the commercial best practice standards are Solidworks (ie CATIA/Dassault) and the Autodesk product suite. I have no idea what your budget is though, these could be out of range.

Fusion360 hobby license is still pretty good (despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about it recently).

A thread popped up on the CNC forums I'm on that listed a few different alternatives:
    Alibre Atom3D — good for the folks doing mechanical design it even has a free spreadsheet / calculation feature which allows parametric design Parametric Design Using Alibre Atom3D 3
    OnShape — they already had their licensing kerfuffle, so presumably the current status quo (free license requires work be publicly available) will remain
    Solidworks — the US/Canadian Veterans edu. license is quite affordable, and available for folks doing experimental aircraft designs through the EAA: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-student-design-kit 6
    Moment of Inspiration — surprisingly affordable I really wish this had a node editor interface as a standard/supported thing
    Shapr3D — for the cool folks w/ iPads and Apple Pencils who are okay with monthly payments — pairs well w/ MeshCAM
    For opensource there are the standard options:

FreeCad
    BRL-CAD
    Solvespace
    OpensCAD and other programming options

PSN: jfrofl
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Whew, so my wife company (that I also use to work for) has these bi-yearly meetings/videos where the CEO talks about how much money the company made and how their cutting benefits. Apparently they didn't use to be all bad, but in the 4 years I worked there, I never saw one I didn't leave furious about them making record profits and yet cutting benefits. Anyway she had to watch one today (Its mandatory). Basically every meme and stereotype about corporate bullshit exists in this company.

I watched a bit with her and whoo boy. First off, it should be known that for the business their in, they are often either the #1 or #2 for having the most business in the USA, they never hurt for money. And sure enough, they didn't hit their profit goal for 2020, but they did make more profit then last year, which was their biggest year before this year. Anyway their also doing a big push for donating to religious organizations their calling "The Blessed Ones", which sounds like a spin off of The Leftovers, and they want their notoriously underpaid staff (#1 in the country for business in this field, #7 on staff pay) to donate. F that. Oh also since they can't do the big holiday party this year that they usually do for all their offices, they had an idea, their going to donate that money the company would normally spend on parties on...not the employees, but a charity the CEO has people "working the logistics of on". Which I'm sure is a nice tax write off for the company. Oh and I guess they might not get their $75 holiday bonus this year because they want to take the temperature of employees on if that should be donated as well, so even if everyone at my wife's office says 'No we would like our bonus' they can decide 'Nah were donating it to a charity so we pay less taxes!!'.

Its like, charity is wonderful, but not when your pushed, prodded, and forced to do it because of someone else's beliefs.

Charity is almost always worse in the aggregate than a robust social safety net backed by the federal government would be.

It's part of the prosperity gospel and a way to abuse positions of power.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

Ketar on
    Decatus wrote: »
    Hahahahaha. Fuckin. So HR decided to wait until 4:30pm yesterday to email me back, knowing that teachers are off the clock at 3pm.

"Yes we need you back."

...fucking okay, I guess? I'll just drag my constantly exposed ass to campus. Golly, I sure do hope I'm not a potential vector for the fucking plague that has a high chance to kill most of my coworkers, seeing as they're generally old, overweight, asthmatic, and have all sorts of other health issues.

Whatever. This is the last nail in the coffin for me; I was already leaning toward looking for a new job this spring when things get posted, but now I'm 100% set on getting the fuck out of this podunk small-town school district.

Fuck all of this.

I'd laugh if it was because they're upset you "lied" and this is your "punishment"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

"Yes we need you back."

Fuck all of this.

I'd laugh if it was because they're upset you "lied" and this is your "punishment"

I'm almost certain that's what it's about.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

"Yes we need you back."

Fuck all of this.

It's not just your podunk small-town district. Some major metro districts are equally stupid.

My district has pushed back the return of students again (mid November now) and teachers are still largely working from home. My principal insisted I stay out of the building and get a negative test when I had a cough because the smoke from the fires was aggravating my asthma.

In the very same area but another district my girlfriends high school has now had 11 different staff members test positive while inside the building in the last week alone, each of which has exposed at least one other person, but they still insist on all staff in the building all day every day because students are returning Monday. Nobody, not even the immune-compromised, are allowed to work from home. Last Friday they made everybody go into the building for virtual meetings.

Fucking pants-on-head goosery.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So, can teachers just quit? Or does that violate some contract and they can get penalized?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    My girlfriend just texted me a screenshot of an email one of her teachers sent out organizing an afterwork get together with drinks at a local bar.

I wonder why they have so many covid cases. Guess it's a mystery.

Steam
    expendable wrote: »
    My girlfriend just texted me a screenshot of an email one of her teachers sent out organizing an afterwork get together with drinks at a local bar.

I wonder why they have so many covid cases. Guess it's a mystery.

we like to think teachers and doctors are smart people, but they're filled with just as many idiots as every other job

edited October 2020

It's not just your podunk small-town district. Some major metro districts are equally stupid.

My district has pushed back the return of students again (mid November now) and teachers are still largely working from home. My principal insisted I stay out of the building and get a negative test when I had a cough because the smoke from the fires was aggravating my asthma.

In the very same area but another district my girlfriends high school has now had 11 different staff members test positive while inside the building in the last week alone, each of which has exposed at least one other person, but they still insist on all staff in the building all day every day because students are returning Monday. Nobody, not even the immune-compromised, are allowed to work from home. Last Friday they made everybody go into the building for virtual meetings.

Fucking pants-on-head goosery.

...I just. I. What. WHAT?! What in the goddamn fuck?! I literally don't even know what else to say. Every time I try to have a rational thought about this my brain just sort of locks up. I guess I really hope the district has good liability insurance? Like, they're going to get super-fucking-sued when someone dies because of this. Goddamn. It's 9:24am and I already want to go into my back yard and just sort of scream up at the clouds because there's fuck-all else I can do.

I wish I could make myself not care. I wish I could throw my hands up, like these fucking goons, and just not give a shit that we're actively planning to put peoples lives on the line for no fucking reason. "Oh distance learning is hard and students aren't doing well..." Fucking DUH! Maybe it's because we don't have a robust social safety net, so parents had to go back to work instead of being able to stay home safely with their kids while we're going through a fucking plague! Goddamn. Fuck. Sorry. I'm trying to keep the rage bottled up because the second I start to vent it things get bad, but I'm just so fucking sick of this shit.
    So, can teachers just quit? Or does that violate some contract and they can get penalized?

This depends, honestly. I'd absolutely tell my district to go pound fucking sand if I could, but then I'm out a paycheck until next September, at the earliest. Districts tend to only hire one time a year, in the spring, so if you quit in the middle you're pretty well and truly fucked.

Decatus on
    they started up school here in my area and like immediately dozens of teachers and kids got covid so they are going back to remote

like what the fuck did you think was going to happen?

I wish I could make myself not care. I wish I could throw my hands up, like these fucking goons, and just not give a shit that we're actively planning to put peoples lives on the line for no fucking reason. "Oh distance learning is hard and students aren't doing well..." Fucking DUH! Maybe it's because we don't have a robust social safety net, so parents had to go back to work instead of being able to stay home safely with their kids while we're going through a fucking plague! Goddamn. Fuck. Sorry. I'm trying to keep the rage bottled up because the second I start to vent it things get bad, but I'm just so fucking sick of this shit.

This year I have gained a deeper appreciation of Kafka and the year 1968.

But my real point right now is, let it out. We all get it. Your rage is entirely valid and justified and trying to bottle it isn't going to do you any good. We can all scream into the void together.

Steam
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Good open source software and communities are great. Fun fact: ThinkGeek was run on PERL. One of the last great websites to use the stuff...and not a little either. This was a $180mm a year company running on open-sourced and customized PERL. If you knew which forums to frequent or what to look for you could have found the entire code structure from ordering to product pages, search algorithms...everything. All of it out there anonymously, but still out there none the less.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Currently my work is done using predominantly open source stuff.

Yes, pivot your pipeline to this open source software, precious. You don't need hefty corp licenses for that aspect of the work. Yes, come over here, come to this area that I know a lot about, come to this place that makes me a more valuable asset, precious.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    how do some people function:

Contractor sends an email titled XXX6 ADDRESS: "Can you get me the documents for this address? It's scheduled for today."

I reply with the requested address.

Contractor "Can you double check this I noticed you sent me the documents for XXX6???"

I check schedule, XXX7 is the address scheduled. Reply with email "Soorry I didn't read your mind, here are the correct documents"

zkHcp.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My latest attempt at making work from home palatable is trying to turn my living room into a de facto coffee shop. I've set up a hipster easy-listening playlist, rotated my seating arrangements 90° to give myself a new outlook, and am drinking an overpriced kombucha.
    Probably need to spill something suspicious and sticky just next to my chair to really complete the experience but otherwise it's going ok so far.

My latest attempt at making work from home palatable is trying to turn my living room into a de facto coffee shop. I've set up a hipster easy-listening playlist, rotated my seating arrangements 90° to give myself a new outlook, and am drinking an overpriced kombucha.
    Probably need to spill something suspicious and sticky just next to my chair to really complete the experience but otherwise it's going ok so far.

I can record myself trying to awkwardly hit on you so you can put in headphones to listen to something else while it plays. That would save you having to clean anything up at least?

Steam
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Thanks for those CAD suggestions, I will look into them. Budget is tbd, so I'm going to link to ones that seem useful to me and let my boss and one of the seniors consider them.

Today was super hectic, I was supposed to take a half day, but shit kept popping up. One piece of junk software just shat the bed and the guy who usually deals with that headed out for a vacation, so it fell to me to get in touch with the account manager. They just spent an hour pouring over the pile of errors that every action we do generates (why???) to eventually conclude that our IT probably changed a certificate on a network drive without telling anyone.

All that wouldn't be so bad, but my kid is home sick and had zero patience for me and my stupid phone calls. Now I'm double tired and still didn't do as much as I set out to do.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I can record one side of myself arguing with a barista about there not being enough foam in my grande halfcaff pumpkin spice soy latte.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Gonna need to hear about the pastry situation to fully buy into this.

DrZiplock wrote: »

Gonna need to hear about the pastry situation to fully buy into this.

The good news: an exceptional French patisserie exists about fifteen minutes walk away
    The bad news: it’s only open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

But today I had a bagel pre-organized, so the minimum carb loading was satisfied.

The good news: an exceptional French patisserie exists about fifteen minutes walk away

But today I had a bagel pre-organized, so the minimum carb loading was satisfied.

...how much do the sell on Wednesday and Saturday to stay in business? Aren't you over in the bay area? Good god their rent must be insane, but I guess if their pastries are that good they could make it work.

Could be a Covid thing.

edited October 2020

...how much do the sell on Wednesday and Saturday to stay in business? Aren't you over in the bay area? Good god their rent must be insane, but I guess if their pastries are that good they could make it work.

It's a big kitchen and a very tiny serving area, I think they mainly supply cafes and restaurants, etc. Being able to pick pastries up in person on occasion is a kind of a little bonus.

edit: I live in a semi-industrialised part of the bay, so the rent is lower and also it's where a lot of bakeries, breweries, wine merchants, etc set up their kitchens, brewing, and storage facilities. Not a lot of store frontage, just very discrete signs indicating very cool/delicious businesses.

There's also a couple of guys down the road who specialise in anything fermented, which is nice because you can pick up your kimchi, your kombucha, your sauerkraut, and your stinky tofu all in one spot.

tynic on
    bowen wrote: »
    they started up school here in my area and like immediately dozens of teachers and kids got covid so they are going back to remote

like what the fuck did you think was going to happen?

Look just because it happened to all those other places all those other times, doesn't mean it will happen here.

Just get a big tarp/green screen and project this video onto it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1ItxM9yIE

I fidget with stuff a lot. I'm not always even aware I'm doing it, I just need my hands occupied or something. If I'm at my desk not actively using my hands, it's 100% guarantee I'm fidgeting with something.

Today, as is not uncommonly the case, the something was my water bottle, since it's sitting right there.

This time, however, the cap wasn't screwed on and I just dumped half a liter of water on my shoulder. Whoops.

Steam
    Oh, obviously it would also get the seat of my chair wet, which I just now noticed as I stood up and felt a giant wet spot on my butt.

Good thing there's hardly anybody around to see the big dark wetspot in the middle of my butt while I'm wearing light-colored pants.

Steam
    I fidget with stuff a lot. I'm not always even aware I'm doing it, I just need my hands occupied or something. If I'm at my desk not actively using my hands, it's 100% guarantee I'm fidgeting with something.

Today, as is not uncommonly the case, the something was my water bottle, since it's sitting right there.

This time, however, the cap wasn't screwed on and I just dumped half a liter of water on my shoulder. Whoops.

Oh boy friend do I have a solution for you.

51kU0f8MkuL._AC_.jpg

That's my favorite one of their catalog for its simplicity, but most of what they make is fantastic.

I have a bunch of things of that nature and really enjoy them. Friends get them for me once in a while for me to have a new fidget toy but also to see how long it'd take me to solve them.

The second part of that tradition seems to have ended because I've been working on this one off and on for about two years without any real progress. I can see the elements I need but there's something simple my brain just isn't catching to be able to get the ring off without brute forcing it.

Steam
    If it's like every other Hanyama puzzle, the secret is finding the part or parts that aren't symmetrical, but appear to be symmetrical. The machining they use is so precise, often the solution is that there is a .1mm gradient somewhere you have to slide something through or over.

Yup. There's just a lot of combinations on that one and I don't work it consistently.

The picture doesn't show, but the star is actually two pieces that rotate about the center and the ring isn't continuous. So by moving the ring ends through different holes and twisting the star halves around to get new hole configurations and jump the ring around to different orientations relative to the star.

I can do several interesting things with it and from all my decades of my experience I know that some of them are elements to the solution, but I haven't quite put it all together.

Steam
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Just get a big tarp/green screen and project this video onto it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1ItxM9yIE

This lacks the grinding and click clack clack sound of setting up the the grounds and then the pulling of the shots that I desperately need in my life

Damn, sounds like maybe I should grab that one. I hear the 5 star Hanayamas are really something.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Was in the ER over the weekend for excruciating pain that turned out to be kidney stones. Missed work Monday and Tuesday because of my medication, and I'll have to have surgery in two weeks if the stones don't clear up.

Between the awful week of pain and discomfort, constant doctor's visits, the looming Sword of Damocles that is surgery - the hospital helpfully called me this morning to inform me that I'll be paying $1400 out of pocket the day of surgery - and the fact that only one person at work even bothered to ask me how I'm doing has left me feeling pretty damn low.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I am incredibly sorry to hear that, koro. Kidney stones are the fucking worst, as is your treatment at the hands of our current healthcare system. Get better soon.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.