As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So... my xbox just asked me "Who's playing?" when I turned it on like netflix/amazon/every app and I don't know why but this annoys me.

My amazon has been asking if its my wife or a child I kind of like that it separates the recommends like that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'm waiting on Vikings, I really enjoyed Odyssey but not convinced this isn't just a really, really heavy dose of more of the same which would put it at a disadvantage out of the gate since Odyssey was so frickin' ginormous and took me ages to plow through. 2077 looks pretty great, labour dispute aside.

I agree on the size of odyssey, but this one not being all water exploration will fucking help, like my biggest issue with Odyssey was all the sailing. Well that and I found the main character snoozey. Bayek of Siwa will always be the king.

How did you not like Kassandra? She's great!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So... my xbox just asked me "Who's playing?" when I turned it on like netflix/amazon/every app and I don't know why but this annoys me.

My amazon has been asking if its my wife or a child I kind of like that it separates the recommends like that.

Yeah, but I just want to turn on my box and log in when I want to... and there's only one account on the box. Plus if it handles that splash like the other apps-ripping you from the content you viewed when you suspended or w/e-then it's going to make resuming a pain.

Also, Amazon's release of their Utopia remake is hilariously mistimed.

edit: it's so stupid that there is not an option to skip signing into the console when you turn it on now but just this obnoxious splash screen. >\

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Phil says the Bethesda games don't need to ship on PS5 to make the deal model work, yet social media taking that to mean it will never be PS5. IMO, it's just more leverage for Phil trying to move MS gaming post-console generations and get gamepass on everything, including PS. If Sony ever caved on Gamepass at the right margin, Phil would love it. Heck he gave Gamestop a piece of the pie and I'd argue that's a lot less valuable than PS's install base.

I don't think Sony or Nintendo will anytime soon, because it's really hard to make margins on hardware alone.

Kotaku Phil

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You heard it here first, folks! Game Pass coming to Playstation 5!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    Heh. Just watched a YouTube video about how all good western RPG’s are now exclusively Xbox. Then they note the two exceptions, CDPR and the “remnants of BioWare” and no one even flinched.

Damn BioWare, get your act together we miss you.

Wouldn't CD project red be more of a euro rpg than a western one?

Witcher 2 and 3 are kinda a hybrid of Western and Euro philosophies. Not sure what to say about Cyberpunk, as I've been avoiding mechanics discussions on it.

I think of pure Euro jank as being in the Risen/Gothic or Dark Eye space, so CDPR doesn't really apply, outside of the first Witcher.

I don't even know what to think of witcher. I played 3 on game pass. On one hand I kind of really enjoyed it, on the other hand I didn't like the combat and the game kind of bored me. I know, a weird contrast of opinions . Something just didn't click even though I was enjoying the game .

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Double Fine's LucasArts remasters are coming to Game Pass on October 29th! that's Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango all before the end of the month!

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!

• Options
    Well, I was wondering when Grim Fandango would come to Xbox, the next best thing to Curse of Monkey Island.

And we only had to wait 5 years after PS4 and 2 years after Switch. Way to stick to your guns, Microsoft. :lol:

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The only way Sony would allow gamepass on their devices would be if MS got out of the console business entirely. Sony is still in a competition mindset, and Microsoft is their top competitor, even if MS likes to act like they're not.

Even then I imagine Sony would require a cut of the money, which would likely necessitate a Playstation specific subscription.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Sony also has this thing called "Playstation Now" that they would like to make relevant once again, and a subscription service with a existing subscriber base of fifteen million is not seen as a boon to an older service with 2 million.

And that'd be after Sony paid Microsoft to renegotiate the terms of each Game Pass title already they've already paid the license, including those they publish in cooperation with other studios. Which I really don't see them doing as long as they publish video games.

On a less hilariously speculative note, Ars Technica had some praise for their own Xbox Series X preview console. Presumably it did not burn down their office.

Synthesis on
  • Options

I hope the entire Double Fine catalog shows up on gamepass eventually.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    PS Now is still going? Next you're going to tell me stadia is still a thing too!

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yes it is, despite Sony's best efforts.

Anyway, here's teardown of the Seagate-manufactured Xbox Series expansion card at VentureBeat. It's pretty neat, and a reminder that NAND flash memory...is still expensive as shit.

j8irmf15x3vc.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I think I’d be happy to move things back and forth for the first year or so, before I consider getting an expansion card, unless they drop in price quickly.

I don’t mind waiting 10 minutes to move a game from my external drive to internal, if I know I’m going to be putting a few good hours into in, and will benefit from faster loading times.

It’ll depend on the install sizes for the fully Series X enhanced games, I guess.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Anyway, here's teardown of the Seagate-manufactured Xbox Series expansion card at VentureBeat. It's pretty neat, and a reminder that NAND flash memory...is still expensive as shit.

j8irmf15x3vc.jpg

mmmmmmmmm forbidden icing sugar

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    PS Now is good because it lets you play PS exclusives on PC

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

j8irmf15x3vc.jpg

mmmmmmmmm forbidden icing sugar

Yeah my immediate thought was how gross fondant is but if it was clay on the other hand...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jesus Christ, I’m playing Battletoads and up to the boss fight where you have to pull out the eyes, I missed the button prompt so I have no idea how to do it, I’ve been spamming everything I can think of and it sometimes works but not consistently enough

Unbelievably annoyingly almost every online guide I’ve found just says “use you tongue to pull out the eyes” and doesn’t tell you how. It’s like no shit Sherlock thanks for nothing

Figure it out it’s LT x

Prohass on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Use your tongue to pull out the eyes.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    PS Now is good because it lets you play PS exclusives on PC

I'd say that's inferior to actually waiting for them to come to PC, but considering how Horizon Zero Dawn went...

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Also, isn't it mostly PS3 exclusives? They've been shy in allowing anything decent from the PS4 on there for very long.

• Options
    Also, isn't it mostly PS3 exclusives? They've been shy in allowing anything decent from the PS4 on there for very long.

Annoyingly, the link to the actual list of Playstation Now games on Sony's own website goes to a 404 error, so you'll have to sort through the box art (or recognize the platform by name). It's an impressively large database, with the two caveats that it has even more crap filler than Game Pass, and like Game Pass, the titles regularly rotate in and out.

But to your point, yeah, Playstation Now has effectively taken over for all of Sony's BC efforts on PS4--it looks like they gradually slowed down on re-releases of PS2 and PS3 games (as re-packed titles you have to repurchase, which is kind of the worse version of BC and vastly inferior to what Xbox One and Playstation 3 have, but I guess it's better than nothing), and now everything is just being streamed from Sony's own servers (maybe on some facsimile of PS3 hardware).

Which is probably better than that crappy solution. Except now it's subject to latency, lag and especially disconnections, which were all my complaints about Project XCloud. It's not really surprising Sony's had this around for years, and it's basically exclusive to PC and PS4 (after they killed off a majority of supported platforms), but it has 2 million subscribers (so, 1 in fifty PS4 consoles sold).

Remember when Gaikai was gonna change everything? :tell_me_more:

• Options

j8irmf15x3vc.jpg

Don't understand the point of this teardown... I mean... were they expecting gears and cogs inside? @_@

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    They wanted to see who manufactured the chips, what chips were being used, etc to come at the conclusions they did - that the price is warranted because they are using high speed, good quality, NVME 4.0 parts.

• Options
    If you have a PS4, only PS3 games have to be streaming. All the PS2 and PS4 games can be downloaded and played locally instead.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    If you have a PS4, only PS3 games have to be streaming. All the PS2 and PS4 games can be downloaded and played locally instead.

To be clear, I was referring to PS3 games--I can see how my wording is odd though, but PS2 games were "re-packed" typically, which is kind of like what we get with original Xbox games, except you need to buy them again (not a huge distinction, but kind of a crappy one). I don't think Sony has actually brought a PS2 game to PS4 in a long time, but I could be entirely wrong, so all the additions I've heard of are to the Gaikai side. Sony did actually claim Gaikai would eventually allow streaming PS4 games, but I have no idea if they ever actually did that--I've only played PS Now to stream games (and not on my account, since I don't have the service).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

To be clear, I was referring to PS3 games--I can see how my wording is odd though, but PS2 games were "re-packed" typically, which is kind of like what we get with original Xbox games, except you need to buy them again (not a huge distinction, but kind of a crappy one). I don't think Sony has actually brought a PS2 game to PS4 in a long time, but I could be entirely wrong, so all the additions I've heard of are to the Gaikai side. Sony did actually claim Gaikai would eventually allow streaming PS4 games, but I have no idea if they ever actually did that--I've only played PS Now to stream games (and not on my account, since I don't have the service).

Yeah, it's weird that the only playable version of Primal (PS2) I have needs a PS4, and Gradius V (also PS2) needs a PS3. Dumb as shit.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nitsua wrote: »
    They wanted to see who manufactured the chips, what chips were being used, etc to come at the conclusions they did - that the price is warranted because they are using high speed, good quality, NVME 4.0 parts.

Its the same chips used in what I would call a midrange NVME (the SK Hynix P31), but with a CFexpress port instead of a m.2 PCIe connector. It does appear to be gen4 instead of gen3.

It’s a solid choice of memory given the speeds the XSX is running at, but that speed is usually sub-$150 on the PC side. Gen4 drives @1tb on the pc side are going for $180-$200, but they also usually are closer to 4,000-5,000mbps instead of the 3,500 these are likely around.

I would say this is priced about $50 higher than it absolutely needed to be, but that cost increase is weighed against being the most convenient way to handle removable high speed storage without using thunderbolt.

At the speeds they are requiring, a sub-$150 m.2 NVME ssd slot like the ps5 is using would have likely sufficed, but based on their consoles not really ever having an easily user replaceable/serviceable drive, I don’t think they liked that option.

Didn't notice that its gen3 instead of 4 for that P31. So maybe a $30-40 premium, with the caveat that its not going to drop in price as fast as a standard gen4 NVME drive.

ronzo on
  • Options
    ronzo wrote: »
    Nitsua wrote: »

Its the same chips used in what I would call a midrange NVME (the SK Hynix P31), but with a CFexpress port instead of a m.2 PCIe connector. It does appear to be gen4 instead of gen3.

It’s a solid choice of memory given the speeds the XSX is running at, but that speed is usually sub-$150 on the PC side. Gen4 drives @1tb on the pc side are going for $180-$200, but they also usually are closer to 4,000-5,000mbps instead of the 3,500 these are likely around.

I would say this is priced about $50 higher than it absolutely needed to be, but that cost increase is weighed against being the most convenient way to handle removable high speed storage without using thunderbolt.

At the speeds they are requiring, a sub-$150 m.2 NVME ssd slot like the ps5 is using would have likely sufficed, but based on their consoles not really ever having an easily user replaceable/serviceable drive, I don’t think they liked that option.

Didn't notice that its gen3 instead of 4 for that P31. So maybe a $30-40 premium, with the caveat that its not going to drop in price as fast as a standard gen4 NVME drive.

I mean, it's a given that it's going to drop in price eventually, esp since they've already stated that more models, etc are coming... there's little to no reason for the vast majority of people to buy the cards now. there's a fair bit of percentage of that price point coming from having a thing "first."

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Remember those original Xbox 360 memory cards

The times they have a-changed

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Remember those original Xbox 360 memory cards

The times they have a-changed

I remember buying it specifically so I could tote my profile around without having to recover it to my friends Xbox every time we wanted to splitscreen in Halo online. It used to take like an hour to load my profile from the recovery feature lmao

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I’m just glad that the days of paying $25 for 8MB of storage are over. I got so upset over how SONY was rippin people off at those prices (since USB storage and SD cards were around for many times cheaper). At least 1TB of space for $220 is many times cheaper than that. Though there are a lot more complaints.

I’m still curious about whether what I’ve seen somewhere is true. That article on the teardown made me recall it. That MS keeps talking about sustained speeds on their SSD and SONY keep talking about speeds that are generally considered the maximum. Looking at that article, it would seem the parts therein are capable of MoRE than what MS is stating it is, and it is also possible that, for heat reasons, PS5 may not always be at the speed it can maximally attain. I am really looking forward to when Digital Foundry can get ahold of both systems and put them through their paces on a game made for both. That should likely settle that... but I’m not entirely sure.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Never forget the bullshit that was PSVita memory cards. Fuck Sony pretty much forever for that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I remember having like 6 memory cards on the n64. God damn that was annoying as fuck "Which one was that save on... shit!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    I have that, I got a key for it really cheap off one of those terrible key reseller sites

It was a fun game

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The irony, of course, is that it turns out to be a reboot of Castles.

• Options
    The irony, of course, is that it turns out to be a reboot of Castles.

Oh god, that fucking game.

I never actually figured out how to play it as a wee lad. I'd always just try to build a castle, never have enough pieces to build what I wanted, and eventually everyone starved and I could never figure out why.