As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The jackbox games are indeed super fun

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I need to try caves of qud again, iolo described it with the same language I would have used to describe CoC's customization.

I rule nothing out in this, the Year of our Lord 2020. But I don't think I've ever extolled the virtues of Caves of Qud or played Caves of Qud...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I need to try caves of qud again, iolo described it with the same language I would have used to describe CoC's customization.

I rule nothing out in this, the Year of our Lord 2020. But I don't think I've ever extolled the virtues of Caves of Qud or played Caves of Qud...?

No, not you. The other lolo.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

*Glares at ioio*

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yolo

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

*Glares at ioio*

Is there... a darker timeline?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Isn't Horizon Zero Dawn on PC still kinda busted?

I can confirm that when HZD launched it was crashing for me after 5-15 minutes constantly but after several patches, I have not seen another crash in many hours of gameplay to the point where I forgot that it used to do it constantly.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I don't know which iolo to blame for this. But @Orivon saw the discussion in the thread I am sure.

Thank you Orivon. <3

5hh187nba1dg.jpg

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

*Glares at ioio*

Is there... a darker timeline?

No, but there are lighter ones.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    ioio? It's off to work we go?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I was too focused on this underneath

https://imgur.com/gallery/dYcXPWr

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »

S̷̞̺̯̎͜ḙ̷̪̝̌̈̊̔̇v̶̨̮̺̹̳͆̈́̐́è̴̖̺̹̼͊̿̚͝ͅr̶͓̖̗͐̕ ̸̛̖̀̀̐̚t̵̳̫̭̓͠ḧ̴͓̻͓̘́͐̎̚ę̵̛́̽ ̶̨͔͓̖͒̽͝s̸̨̧̄͐̚͠i̷̡̜̖͂͠l̶̥͖̖̣͓͛v̸͕̼͓͔̈́̍̄e̴̡͇͆̏͜r̶̢̻̦͔̐̍ ̵͚͛́̀̅t̴̛̲̥̝̮̒͐ĥ̸̡̤̝͕ř̶̯̖̇e̸̲̍̅͆͌ă̶͓ḏ̴̣͓̒͌ ̸̩͚̫̬̿̆͊̚͝a̴̛̯̯̜͐͛n̷̡̞͑͜d̶̲͕̤͚̽̈̓ ̵̰̌̀͑͝g̸̹͛̄͝i̶̢̍̓͑f̵͍̮̹̜͋͋̅̇̚t̵̯͕̺̅ ̵̡͎͔̰͊́̓͘p̶̺̉͆̒͘i̵̲̣̲͌̿x̵͇̘̰̮͖͌ì̴̧̡̲̺͠ẽ̶̞̐͋, eh?

Commander Zoom on
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    @Questor has sent a link, and that link has turned into a copy of Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition!
    This looks super interesting, and I'm looking forward to checking this out
    Thank you!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    River City Rampage: Underground
    Retail: $19.99

I admit to having played the original River City Rampage, and I had a lot of fun with it- but at the same time, well... it was a slog of a game, more predicated around knowing when to fight and when to get the hell out of dodge. But is Underground a worthy successor to Alex and Ryan's original adventure? To be honest... I say yes!... but with a caveat.

The story of the game is set twenty years after the events of the original game: high school gang leader Slick creates a citywide riot and kidnaps the girlfriend of one of the main characters, and sets the local gangs at each other, intent on ruling the city through his madness. But thanks to the valiant efforts of Alex and Ryan, the city is saved, the S.O. is free, and Slick is off cooling his heels in prison for a long, long time- but some grudges last forever...

Enter the new characters- students at River City High School, and members of their own little 'gang'. While the town has gotten bigger and more modern, it hasn't gotten any safer, and your early morning school news show isn't anything like Channel 1- in fact, it's more of a press conference called by the richest man in town: multiple abductions have been happening all over town, and his daughter is the latest victim. But don't worry, his security forces have a suspect named- Chris! Chris as in Chris, the leader of your little gang.

He's so sure you or the others know something about the abductions- you might even be responsible for them!- and so, he's putting a bounty out on your heads and hoping that that will enable your capture and interrogation. Escaping from school and fleeing through the sewers, you find yourself in the basement of a mechanic shop run by two very, very familiar faces... who are happy to help you begin the fight to return River City to some semblance of peace.

As far as the gameplay goes, things are actually pretty easy to control- the game is set up for an XBox-style controller, and moving and attacking is rather easy. However, until you finish a few level-ups, enemies can just take a whole heck of a lot of punishment, and it can just get boring punching and kicking away at the same bunch of enemies. Money can be found by defeating enemies or breaking things, but the biggest pain in the butt isn't the fact that you can't die- you get scooted to the nearest hideout- but the fact you lose half your cash, and it is incredibly easy to get the shit knocked out of you in this game. Most enemies in the game don't drop less than fifty cents, but you might- at best- get a dollar and change from each enemy. Grinding money is very, very hard- and boy does it turn you off the game fast unless you're just willing to grind and make money and heal to get lots of money to load up on skills and food to keep you chugging through boss fights (but be careful as you auto-save when you die and lose half your earned $!). How to beat this? It's simple- don't think of this as some kind of Final Fight-style sidescrolling brawler, think of it as more a game to grind and play over a long while. Grind money, get skills, and piece together the mystery- but you won't do it all in one session!

One of the other things I will recommend is to get hold of a map and use it. It is INCREDIBLY easy to get yourself lost in River City, and there are paths everywhere.

In the end, though, I recommend just camping out in front of a hideout and respawning enemies to beat them up, and not hesitating to beat feet to heal or save if things go south. It's also good to remember that each enemy gang has their own style and their own weaknesses= nerds might by physically frail, but they have specials that can freeze you or hit like a truck. Roids can hit like a truck and take a beating, but they're slower than you are- and so on and so on.

The graphics are of the same style as the original River City Rampage on Nintendo, and the music is still pretty okay, to be honest- don't look for anything really ground-breaking, though.

Finally, we come to the big thing: is this game worth it, and am I keeping it in my backlog? Yes, I'm keeping it, but... I think the cheaper you get this game, the more you're going to get out of it. It's okay at $20, but $10 would be even better for this game. It's fun enough, but if you want a River City game to sink your teeth into that's a bit more graphically pleasing, River City Girls is right there, and it's only ten bucks more! Plus: USE A MAP AND WALKTHROUGH. Those will make your lives so much easier!

Whew, come on, let's get out of here. Somebody paw the nav, let's see where else we're going after this... and let's see if we can get out of here before that bald nut punches through the ship again, hm? Cripes...

331) Ninja Cats vs. Samurai Dogs

...I'm going to be dodging cardboard shuriken for the next month, aren't I?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Finished the BG3 early access content (act 1) with my first character, a half-elf cleric. Took about 25 hours to do.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to do it again with a different character...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Finished the BG3 early access content (act 1) with my first character, a half-elf cleric. Took about 25 hours to do.
    By act 1 you mean the character creator, right?

There's still a few hours left on this deal. I think @CorriganX would agree it's a good deal

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/the-sherlock-holmes-collection

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Chrome is insisting that this page is in Vietnamese and wants to translate it, which just removes all the spaces from everybody's posts. I don't know what's doing it, it seems to be limited to page 76 of this thread and isn't happening elsewhere in the forums.

Nothing to do with anything, just weird.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I am getting it too - I wonder if it's related to what @Commander Zoom posted and Chrome is interpreting it as Vietnamese?

Questor on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Streets of rogue, aka too close to the sun simulator

Enjoying the thief and shapeshifter the most.

Best of my last few thief runs ended with me foolishly running into environmental stuff while at single digit health

Many thanks to @Questor for the code for The Final Station! <3

Questor wrote: »
    I am getting it too - I wonder if it's related to what @Commander Zoom posted and Chrome is interpreting it as Vietnamese?

The true answer is Firefox. #thereisaidit

I'm not in school anymore but this still hits close to home.
    hs9zvmruhmlm.jpeg

I wish games would keep their demos up post release because theres been a few times Ive played a demos, decided it wasnt for me, then the rewitnessed the game page and had doubts/would like to retry it but find it missing.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not in school anymore but this still hits close to home.
    hs9zvmruhmlm.jpeg

Final fantasy 9 almost having to fail out of my final semester of college. My roommate bought it the month before finals. admittedly I wasn't doing amazing before it came out but it's still just destroyed any chance I'm redeeming the semester.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I wish games would keep their demos up post release because theres been a few times Ive played a demos, decided it wasnt for me, then the rewitnessed the game page and had doubts/would like to retry it but find it missing.

Some demos can be run via the files on your PC if you still have them on there. Otherwise that's by design, for you not to be able to play them anymore.

Skatebird was a Unity demo I could run after the fact.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'I wonder about [game] and would like to try a demo.'

'Fuck you! Buy a copy and hope for a refund!'
    I have no [game].

Some demos can be run via the files on your PC if you still have them on there. Otherwise that's by design, for you not to be able to play them anymore.

Skatebird was a Unity demo I could run after the fact.
    I deleted it! I didnt like it at the time! :rotate:

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    "Did I mention it also travels in time?"
    gjpkv3xj7w52.jpg

"All right, now just try and keep your arm straighter on the downswing."
    b2ix2ya4b3wm.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Many thanks to @Corsini for the code for Return of the Obra Dinn! <3

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I bought Vigil, which is styled extremely 2D dark souls (menus and animation) but it also feels modern Castlevania. So far it hasn't been particularly difficult, though I die here and there, it has a simple "Load on death," no running for your xp. XP comes pretty fast, I hit level 19 by the third boss. It has that nice feeling of exploring a dangerous space, finding little secrets, shortcuts, finding a way to cheese bosses....

For the boss with the big scythe
    He has an intermittant phase where he spawns zombies. You can hit the eye and stop this phase.... or you can just slaughter the zombies until the floor is littered with throwing knifes, and just throwing knife the boss to death, since only one attack has any range at all.

It looks ok. Not particularly amazing, but it does the job. The enemy animations are a little unclear on smaller enemies (hard to see if some of the dogs are staggered for instance)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Orivon really is one of those monsters from a horror movie that never stops coming at you.

Though I am not greeted with death but with gifts instead. Thank you. <3<3
    sr03ianiiaen.jpg
    t1jt7x1lyb9j.jpg
    wkb889wiz0di.jpg

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I bought Vigil, which is styled extremely 2D dark souls (menus and animation) but it also feels modern Castlevania. So far it hasn't been particularly difficult, though I die here and there, it has a simple "Load on death," no running for your xp. XP comes pretty fast, I hit level 19 by the third boss. It has that nice feeling of exploring a dangerous space, finding little secrets, shortcuts, finding a way to cheese bosses....

For the boss with the big scythe
    He has an intermittant phase where he spawns zombies. You can hit the eye and stop this phase.... or you can just slaughter the zombies until the floor is littered with throwing knifes, and just throwing knife the boss to death, since only one attack has any range at all.

It looks ok. Not particularly amazing, but it does the job. The enemy animations are a little unclear on smaller enemies (hard to see if some of the dogs are staggered for instance)

It got it because that's exactly what I wanted. I never finished Salt and Sanctuary, felt Death's Gambit was right where I wanted it to be, and that Vigil would follow suit, and so far, I'm not disappointed. (Both being stylish as hell was also what I favor.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

I will not buy it yet.

I will not buy it yet.

I will not buy it yet.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I will not buy it yet.

I will not buy it yet.

I will not buy it yet.

I can't even get off the boat in Divinity 2.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I suppose I should use its time in EA to finally beat the two previous Baldur's Gate games.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.