As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Genshin Impact] mostly making this thread to brag about my last pull

Crippl3Crippl3 ohnoRegistered User regular
seriously look at this shit
VZ1kJP9.png?1

Anyway, Genshin Impact! It's a free-to-play action game/RPG for PC, iOS, Android, and PS4! PC, iOS, and Android devices also have cross-save compatibility, allowing you to take your anime girls, anime boys, and swords anywhere you want to play (as long as it's not a PS4)

Isn't this that game that's the Chinese Breath of the Wild knockoff?
Nope! while the art style is somewhat similar and the traversal is basically the same, with the glider and climbing anywhere, everything else is it's own thing. It's a party based action game, with fast-paced combat based on combining your characters' various elemental skills, no weapon degradation, co-op open-world play, crafting, and a gacha system for obtaining new characters and weapons.
Oh, it's a gacha game? :(
Well, yeah :/
You do receive a full party of 3-star characters in the first several hours of gameplay, plus a guaranteed very useful 4-star character, Noelle, on your first Wish (aka pull, summon, gacha, what-have-you) on the special Beginner wish pool, which you are given the currency for about an hour into the game. However, after that, you're kinda on your own after for getting more pulls. A 10-pull, the recommended way to wish, gets you a guaranteed 4 or 5 star character or weapon every time, so you should save up enough Primogems that you earn through gameplay or giveaways or spending money for those. The odds of pulling 4 and 5 star things are bad, but pretty much every character is useful so it's not like you can pull a "bad" character.
OK so it's a gacha, but is it fun
Hell yeah
The combat is fast, all your characters have a basic attack, a charge attack, a big dash along with a very fast sprint, a cooldown ability (called an Elemental Ability) and an ultimate that must be charged by defeating enemies (an Elemental Burst). Every character is aligned with one of the elements: Anemo (wind), Pyro, Electro, Dendro (nature/plant), Cryo, Hydro, or Geo, and their abilities (and sometimes attacks) will cause elemental effects on enemies, the environment, and/or themselves. These effects can be things such as Hydro's Wet, making you covered in water, Pyro's Burning, doing fire damage over time, etc. These effects can be combo'd together through Elemental Reactions, for example hitting a Wet enemy with a Pyro ability causes Vaporize, which greatly increases the damage of the triggering attack, or zapping a Frozen enemy with Electro causes Superconduct which blasts other nearby enemies with Cryo damage and reducing their defenses. Reactions are the key part of combat, making you quickly swap between your party, dodging dangerous environmental effects, and letting you melt the toughest enemies real fast if you know their weaknesses.
Exploration is also fun, as the game takes place in a giant open world, similar to BotW, with the ability to climb basically any semi-vertical surface and glide off cliffs with a wind glider. There's treasure to find, along with passive stamina upgrades scattered around, world bosses, side quests starring the various playable characters, resources to gather to increase your party's stats and improve their weapons and gear, and more. Plus, you can unlock a co-op mode, where you can explore the open world with up to 4 players, and doing daily quests and special events together.

If you're interested in giving it a shot, here's where you can download it:
PC: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en
PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/home/games#!/cid=UP6262-CUSA23681_00-OSRELSIEAGENSHIN
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miHoYo.GenshinImpact
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1517783697

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Should I play this on PC or does it install some weird invasive anti cheat stuff?

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sad but not surprised that it's not crossplayable between PS4 and PC. Started this up on PS4 on a whim while being stuck with on the couch with a foot injury.
    It's fun so far. Haven't run into anything too challenging, but I'm just around adventure rank 13. I'm already dreading taking the time to figure out what is in my inventory at this point. I just keep throwing stuff in there.
    I did get the Diluc fella that people seem excited for.

I enjoy poking around the map for the Anemoculous and hidden chests etc.

Is Friendship level when you get the duplicates?

akajaybay on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Should I play this on PC or does it install some weird invasive anti cheat stuff?

It installs invasive anticheat kernel level stuff

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Sad but not surprised that it's not crossplayable between PS4 and PC. Started this up on PS4 on a whim while being stuck with on the couch with a foot injury.
    It's fun so far. Haven't run into anything too challenging, but I'm just around adventure rank 13. I'm already dreading taking the time to figure out what is in my inventory at this point. I just keep throwing stuff in there.
    I did get the Diluc fella that people seem excited for.

I enjoy poking around the map for the Anemoculous and hidden chests etc.

Is Friendship level when you get the duplicates?

Grats on the Diluc, he is very nice to have! Friendship is from using the character and unlocks dialogue and story segments in the character profile; duplicates give Constellation levels which unlock extra abilities or buffs to existing abilities.

I've been going kinda hard on this game the past week, at AR33 and running around to find the last few ocluous I need. Game is fun as hell, I love messing around with random team comps and the elemental reaction system is really cool.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

really?

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I am cursed to never get Diluc and I am extremely jealous of everybody who has him.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Xaquin wrote: »

really?

At launch it had anti-cheat that ran even after the game closed, they modified it after some outcry so that now it only runs when you're actually playing the game.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    ph blake wrote: »

really?

At launch it had anti-cheat that ran even after the game closed, they modified it after some outcry so that now it only runs when you're actually playing the game.

Still on your computer though. Kernel level permissions from a Chinese company that don't need that level of access.

They changed it to where the service deletes itself when you close the game, not just that it stops running.

If you run the command prompt and enter the command "sc query mhyprot2" without the quotes it should come back saying that the service isn't installed.

really?

Still on your computer though. Kernel level permissions from a Chinese company that don't need that level of access.

I honestly don't care that it's a Chinese company, cause I figure that Amazon/Facebook/Google have access to literally everything I've ever done online at this point anyways

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Something slightly off in the OP, it's not that you're guaranteed a 4 plus star on a 10 pull wish, it's that you're guaranteed a 4 plus star within every 10 wishes. It's fine to do them in single wishes, it remembers progress. This is also true for the guaranteed 5 star pity pull at 90 wishes on the limited character promotion, even if the promotion times out and changes over before you get it.

Only place where I think doing a multi pull matters is for those novice wishes where you get 10 wishes for the cost of 8, but you only get like 2 goes at that.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    H0b0man wrote: »
    They changed it to where the service deletes itself when you close the game, not just that it stops running.

If you run the command prompt and enter the command "sc query mhyprot2" without the quotes it should come back saying that the service isn't installed.

I'm not seeing anything about it deleting itself when closing the game, just it stops running. What I am seeing is that it used to stay running on the system when when the game was uninstalled and now it uninstalls with the game.

I mean I literally just searched my computer for the service and it is not there.

I play this game pretty regularly and haven't uninstalled it so if that were the case then it'd still be on my PC.

Something slightly off in the OP, it's not that you're guaranteed a 4 plus star on a 10 pull wish, it's that you're guaranteed a 4 plus star within every 10 wishes. It's fine to do them in single wishes, it remembers progress. This is also true for the guaranteed 5 star pity pull at 90 wishes on the limited character promotion, even if the promotion times out and changes over before you get it.

Only place where I think doing a multi pull matters is for those novice wishes where you get 10 wishes for the cost of 8, but you only get like 2 goes at that.

It's important to 10 pull, cause how else are you gonna flex on people by posting your multiple 5* at once pulls?

7h8wnycre6vs.png

It's important to 10 pull, cause how else are you gonna flex on people by posting your multiple 5* at once pulls?

fair

I'm holding off on spending money so I'm just letting the game drip feed me free currency and putting in wishes as it comes in, and I'm not patient enough to accumulate enough for 10 at a time

Steam ID

There's a History tab in the summon menu

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    what makes this better than BoTW is I don't have swords breaking and there aren't sniping laser spiders everywhere

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    less physics-y but with combat I actually enjoy engaging in.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    what makes this better than BoTW is I don't have swords breaking and there aren't sniping laser spiders everywhere

Also you don't have to stop playing the game whenever it rains

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also also cooking is just like... a menu, and doesn't make you throw each individual ingredient into a pot like they just discovered physics exists

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    anyway if anyone wants to gang up with me on pc I'm 609886595

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yooooo this game rocks I love it

I am adventurer rank 38 and nearly out of content but I still love it am and very happy to wait for more stuff to get added

edited October 2020
    I'm up to Adventure Rank 24. One more rank until I start pumping characters and equipment up to level 60.

My main team is currently built around Fischl as my powerleveled main, with Xianling and Anemo Traveller supporting, and the 4th spot bounces between Noelle and Barbara. Open up fights by having Xianling toss out Guoba to lay out a carpet of fire, swap to Traveller to pull people in and swirl/fire combo with a palm vortex, then swap again to Fischl to throw out Oz for the overload combo and to start just hammering whoever's still alive with arrows.

I finished up the prologue (that's a lot of hours for a prologue) yesterday. Been kind of blown away as I start moving on and exploring around Yihue. Like, they had been holding back on world design until now? Just the amount of effort that has gone into crafting the world keeps surprising me. Chinese game built off of mishmash design elements from a bunch of other games, and yet determined to kind of defy people's expectations.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    I'm up to Adventure Rank 24. One more rank until I start pumping characters and equipment up to level 60.

My main team is currently built around Fischl as my powerleveled main, with Xianling and Anemo Traveller supporting, and the 4th spot bounces between Noelle and Barbara. Open up fights by having Xianling toss out Guoba to lay out a carpet of fire, swap to Traveller to pull people in and swirl/fire combo with a palm vortex, then swap again to Fischl to throw out Oz for the overload combo and to start just hammering whoever's still alive with arrows.

I finished up the prologue (that's a lot of hours for the prologue) yesterday. Been kind of blown away as I start moving on and exploring around Yihue. Like, they had been holding back on world design until now? Just the amount of effort that has gone into crafting the world keeps surprising me. Chinese game built off of mishmash design elements from a bunch of other games, and yet determined to kind of defy people's expectations.

You need rank 30 for level 60, the next uncap will get you level 50

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

I am adventurer rank 38 and nearly out of content but I still love it am and very happy to wait for more stuff to get added

They're apparently planning 5? new kingdoms roughly the size of the two in the game, as, like, just the first year's roadmap which is crazy but apparently they did the same thing with Honkai?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I made a wish by accident and got Noelle

I guess that's good?

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    This game is fun, although painfully over my amine tolerance anytime there's dialog.

When I open up the menus and see 27 currencies level up mats etc etc etc I am completely confused and just want to wish it all away

Still playing it though.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    This game is fun, although painfully over my amine tolerance anytime there's dialog.

When I open up the menus and see 27 currencies level up mats etc etc etc I am completely confused and just want to wish it all away

Still playing it though.

Yes the menus are overwhelming and intimidating at first. It took me a while before I figured out what stuff I needed and actually started making wishes.

To new players, don't be nervous to use the free stuff they give you and just go ahead and grab those novice 10 pack wishes that are at a discount.

Steam ID
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    well

This game wont install on my PC anyway so I guess that's moot.

• TravanTravan Registered User regular

They're apparently planning 5? new kingdoms roughly the size of the two in the game, as, like, just the first year's roadmap which is crazy but apparently they did the same thing with Honkai?
    https://youtu.be/TAlKhARUcoY
    This is a pretty good teaser of what they have planned.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I guess that's good?

The beginner wish, the one they give you the stuff for and tell you to do, gives you Noelle guaranteed the first time
    She's very good

Travan wrote: »

https://youtu.be/TAlKhARUcoY
    This is a pretty good teaser of what they have planned.

I see those characters, and I know I almost certainly won't get those characters, but I want those characters, and that tells me that they are going to make lots of money

Steam ID

Still playing it though.

yeah some of the writing in this game is...

very bad

and then some of it is actually astonishingly good?

the narrative just sorta swings wildly between very typical fantasy anime and impressively good character writing and heartfelt story beats

• TravanTravan Registered User regular
    If they can maintain at the level of RWBY But Good I’m probably in for the duration.

Gamertag- Travan7838

even at its worse the writing is better than most of RWBY tbh

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I guess that's good?

Noelle is Fine in terms of combat but as a starter character is good and is the first easily accessible geo character while you're in the first kingdom. Also the first greatsword character you get if you haven't rolled others which is critical for mining.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    cursedking wrote: »

I guess that's good?

Noelle is Fine in terms of combat but as a starter character is good and is the first easily accessible geo character while you're in the first kingdom. Also the first greatsword character you get if you haven't rolled others which is critical for mining.

I was wondering why I couldn't mine some stuff

edited October 2020
    Ya non greatsword weapons either don't do anything to mining spots, or they take forever to break them.

Greatswords on the other hand will do the job with like 1 or 2 swings.

edit: one of the reasons I want to get Diluc. Not only does he do broken damage, but my current party doesn't have a GS user in it so I have to either swap parties for mining or spend forever hitting the rock with a normal sword till it breaks.

H0b0man on
    this game is pretty fun

Is there any benefit to hoarding items since I can't seem to sell them?

edited October 2020
    If by items you mean all the trash weapons and artifacts you're getting, then you just feed those into the weapons and artifacts you want to use to level them up.

If you're talking about the items that give adventurer and weapon experience then you want to be a bit more choosy with who you give those to. It's pretty easy to level everybody up to 20, but once you start ascending characters to get to the higher levels the amount you need really starts to ramp up.

So you want to pick who your main party is going to be and focus on them. In particular pick who you want to be your main DPS character and have that be the character you put the most resources into. You want to have your support characters, characters you mostly use to throw down elemental skills and then swap from, to be leveled up, but it's not as big a concern as making sure your main person is buff.

H0b0man on