As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Conquest of Deepnest - Host Notes Up

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Day Two: There is no shame in this. It is a good death.

The troops reported light skirmishes in a half dozen separate conflicts. Upon hearing this, the gigantic knight called a halt to inspire the army. As the line halted, the troops pushed forward a bug who had been found guilty of plotting to sabotage the army. Such a crime was punishable by a swift macing. As the mace descended a blast of light threw it across the cavern.

“HMM!” JaysonFour touched his hand to his head and glowing spheres started to orbit him. The other soldiers fell back and gasped in alarm. Quickly a large circle opened up around him. This was a warrior of the Soul Sanctum! Allegedly just a library, but rumors were thick about that citadel. The knight charged off in search of his mace leaving the other troops to face his baleful glare. Everyone looked very uncomfortable and possibly scared.

“Do not presume to touch me. If you have no need of my help then you may die in the dark. Fight well my friends. Desertion is punishable with an internship in the sanctum after all.” JaysonFour vanished in a blast of light. The only thing worse than an unpredictable wizard on your side was not having one. The sudden darkness that rushed to replace the warrior was oppressive and terrifying...

Gizzy opened her journal and made some notes on the troop movements and supply totals. She knew that this would help future campaigns run more smoothly. Nasty business with the Soul Warrior. Although few in the army were pleased to be around the wizards none could deny their results. They had power rarely seen outside of the King and his works. Gizzy frowned. Well no sense to dwell on the negative. They would just have to carry on without and hope for the best. Gizzy thought a good fly might calm her down. She flew through the luminescent fungus and smiled. It was quite peaceful here away from the camp. Is that-

Wildcat unsheathed his nail. His training had honed his instincts to their peaks. They would return tonight to finish the job. He had no regrets for he had merely joined the army to perfect his skills and he was at his peak. There is no shame in dying when one has reached their peak. As they closed in he silently thanked the great nailsage and began to focus. His foes would not leave unscathed. He smiled, this would be a good death.

The Dead:
    JaysonFour - Soul Warrior
    Gizzy - Winged Sentry
    Wildcat - Wanderer

PMs are going out but feel free to play. @Obbi on notice for inactivity.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    A sinister laughter crashes into the army. Suddenly the luminescent fungus ceases to shine. The lumaflies are covered in a dark sticky substance. No light remains at all. Something crawls across you trailing something sticky. No one can get a light. Screams break out as some of the weak begin to panic.

All votes will be made through PM tonight. No votes in the thread will count. You are still expected to vote for activity purposes. The day will end on Monday.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    0_o

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i have never seen this effect before.

AMAZING!

jdarksun.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It sounds like the Void...Void Tendrils specifically. Void was the darkness the Pale King was attempting to harness to defeat the Radiance with.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    JaysonFour - cause of death: failed defensive statements. Murder weapon: Democracy. Notes: Validates claim of trying to attack Infidel (Guard, Bus Driver or Infidel Lying?) Claims Cythraul kill due to lights in darkness (lines up with wizardy powers and no death last night)

Gizzy cause of death unknown assassin. Theory: same murder as Lost Ninja due to similar lack of tangible evidence/sightings.

Wildcat - Cause of death battle. Theory: Hurt night one finished off night 2 (organized group or just random hits from villagers? Is there a connection to Hefflings death?)

Noted lack: No sticky goop, no luminous eyes in the dark.
    No lights in the darkness (see Jaysonfour)
    edit:Also Light

Bluecyan on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Day 1 Results
    Virgil_Leads_You [6] - Bluecyan (11), discrider (14), Bedlam (18), JusticeforPluto (26), Auralynx (28), Cythraul (29)
    Cythraul [3] - jdarksun (3), Heffling (5), SeGaTai (24)
    premium [2] - Gizzy (6), Lucedes (20)
    ObiFett [2] - davidsdurions (13), LostNinja (17)
    Obbi [2] - Phyphor (19), Wildcat (25)
    Kime [2] - Infidel (1), H3Knuckles (22)
    Invictus [2] - JPants (8), Spoit(16)
    Infidel [2] - AutinP0027 (9), Kime (27)
    Wildcat [1] - Obbi (4)
    Spoit [1] - JaysonFour (23)
    LostNinja [1] - Invictus (21)
    Gizzy [1] - premium (7)
    discrider [1] - ObiFett (2)
    davidsdurions [1] - Virgil_Leads_You (10)
    Bluecyan [1] - mrpaku (15)

Did Note Vote: None

Day 2 Results
    JaysonFour [11] - premium (6), AustinP0027 (7), Bedlam (8), Bluecyan (12), davidsdurions (13), Auralynx (21), jdarksun (24), JPants (27), Infidel (28), SeGaTai (29), kime (30), Phyphor (31)
    jdarksun [7] - ObiFett (3), Lucedes (5), discrider (10), H3Knuckles (11), Invictus (16), kime (19), mrpaku (20), JaysonFour (25), JusticeforPluto (26)
    Jpants [2] - Gizzy (4), Bluecyan (15)
    Bedlam [1] - JaysonFour (9), Wildcat (23)
    davidsdurions [1] - discrider (14)
    Invictus [0] - discrider (1), kime (18)
    Kime [0] - discrider (2)
    LostNinja [0] - kime (17)
    SeGaTai [0] - JusticeforPluto (22)

Did Note Vote: Obbi

AustinP0027 on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    jdarksun.

1. Shall people "vote" in the thread like this just to put claimed PM votes in the record?
    2. Why jdarksun? :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
    I like the idea of number 1. Not a perfect record, obviously, but would be good to discuss where people stand.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    jdarksun.

1. Shall people "vote" in the thread like this just to put claimed PM votes in the record?

Seems like a good idea to post "votes" in thread to create atleast some record for future use. On the downside, that would make manipulating said vote easier for the mafia but that is still interesting information if the vote doesn't go as planned.

Will we know if somebody doesn't vote tonight?

i'm a low information voter

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think I understand it correctly that we don’t know how many mafia starts the first night, correct? But it’s something like a percentage of the total or some such?

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I think I understand it correctly that we don’t know how many mafia starts the first night, correct? But it’s something like a percentage of the total or some such?

It's typically about 20% of the population. I'd expect 5 or 6 this game

Bluecyan wrote: »
    jdarksun.

Seems like a good idea to post "votes" in thread to create atleast some record for future use. On the downside, that would make manipulating said vote easier for the mafia but that is still interesting information if the vote doesn't go as planned.

Will we know if somebody doesn't vote tonight?

Yeah, just because we can't confirm peoples votes doesn't mean we should give up all the discussion on who to vote and why, and questioning people's choices.

Mafia will have to justify their votes posted publicly, and anyone not sharing will be, as the kids say, "hella sus."

OrokosPA.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    premium wrote: »

Thanks. I’d been thinking 4, so not far off maybe.

premium wrote: »

Also we dont know if there is a third faction this game. There could be two mafia factions or a serial killer running about. Which fudges the number higher for "threats to the village" that we need to eliminate.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    6 and an SK would be a lot - 4-5 + an SK seems more reasonable; somewhat dependent on how much friendly fire is planned for

PSN SeGaTai
    Sometimes the lore posts are difficult to parse, I love them though, but do we think we’ve eliminated any mafia yet?

Nope. We should have a red name if we killed mafia.

edited October 2020
    Not very likely. Green text is standard to denote villager, while some games can have hidden death information that would be uncolored text.

It IS possible the mafia could paint the death results, though generally would be some counters out there for that ability among the villagers if that was the case.

Edit: the game term for those types of abilities are death miller/thrall. Likewise the villager ability would be Death Seer

Bluecyan on
    Got it, I thought that was the case. Oof, we’re not looking great!

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Davidsdurions

And we have either that the mafia sacrificed their kill to turn off the lights, or they wasted their kill on the vig, much like the village did.

Sometimes the lore posts are difficult to parse, I love them though, but do we think we’ve eliminated any mafia yet?

Oh shit, are you the only new guy in here?

Uhhh, there's probably so much phalla knowledge/meta that you're missing out on cause everyone else it's a given and just nodding along to everything. :lol:

The names in green mean villager-aligned, typically, although some rare games fuck with this and don't reveal alignment on death. This does not seem like one of those games though.

Standard is color = alignment/faction, and green = villager, red = mafia, black = serial killer (solo mafia, sorta). Other colors are used but there isn't a standard convention after this.

OrokosPA.png
    I also have to ask, how did we manage to waste the vote on the vig -after- he claimed his role?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I also have to ask, how did we manage to waste the vote on the vig -after- he claimed his role?

Speculation was they were the Serial Killer I think, not vig.

The fact that we don't see a concrete cause of death and have to guess on the narration seems to be causing more problems than I originally thought it would. That, or our lore-masters are not being entirely accurate.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Davidsdurions

Oh come on, if David was mafia clearly they would have asked their mafia friends to try and not look suspicious.

Although, then we might become suspicious why a newbie wasn't asking questions in thread. So, clearly then the experienced mafia would tell David to post in thread the same questions to look obviously suspicoius thereby prevent true suspicioun...

But then David shouldn't do that because then we would think that they would think that we would think that. But David since did post it, they clearly weren't talking to the mafia.

QED, they can't be mafia.

Probably doesn't help his last two posts were:
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I mean, I'd give my role name, but I don't know if that would violate the rules 38th set down.
    Are role names something we're not supposed to mention off the PMs, or are they fair game?

And then walking away, just implying "hey I'm innocent and can prove it" and then *crickets*. Like, huh? Why not claim to be the vig? Move the vote? It was within one vote at the time with an hour remaining!

Instead just very inconsistent behaviour from a village special and speculation from people who know the game that it could be either a vig or SK kill.

OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2020
    Davidsdurions

Oh come on, if David was mafia clearly they would have asked their mafia friends to try and not look suspicious.

Although, then we might become suspicious why a newbie wasn't asking questions in thread. So, clearly then the experienced mafia would tell David to post in thread the same questions to look obviously suspicoius thereby prevent true suspicioun...

But then David shouldn't do that because then we would think that they would think that we would think that. But David since did post it, they clearly weren't talking to the mafia.

QED, they can't be mafia.

https://youtu.be/EZSx3zNZOaU

I think discrider is just messing with me with that post anyhow, since it double doesn’t count right now. But that doesn’t mean I’ve eliminated them from my sus list yet!

davidsdurions on
    kime wrote: »

The fact that we don't see a concrete cause of death and have to guess on the narration seems to be causing more problems than I originally thought it would. That, or our lore-masters are not being entirely accurate.

I wouldn't consider myself a lore-master but I played through it years ago. There really aren't a lot of direct connections to the game to get a firm: These are the Baddies who use these things and these are the Goodies who do this thing. Hallow Knight is very much a Dark Souls like story in which some big bad calamity happened and now most everyone has become some undead/crazy/corrupted thing that the main charecter has to fight through on top of the other big bad stuff that didn't have to be corrupted to want to eat you. The Phalla predates the calamity so it would be a bit like Anor Londo before things went down. To carry the analogy further, if it looks like a Knight (beetle) probably good, if it looks like a Dragon (other bugs) it's probably bad.

There is no good light wizard in the game (that I recall at least), on the other hand there ARE things that make light in the dark and are bad.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I wouldn't consider myself a lore-master but I played through it years ago. There really aren't a lot of direct connections to the game to get a firm: These are the Baddies who use these things and these are the Goodies who do this thing. Hallow Knight is very much a Dark Souls like story in which some big bad calamity happened and now most everyone has become some undead/crazy/corrupted thing that the main charecter has to fight through on top of the other big bad stuff that didn't have to be corrupted to want to eat you. The Phalla predates the calamity so it would be a bit like Anor Londo before things went down. To carry the analogy further, if it looks like a Knight (beetle) probably good, if it looks like a Dragon (other bugs) it's probably bad.

There is no good light wizard in the game (that I recall at least), on the other hand there ARE things that make light in the dark and are bad.

https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Soul_Warrior

The role name paints J4 as literally this dude.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The problem with the Hollow Knight lore is there's just so fucking much of it. It's a massive game with a massive cast of characters and a ton of possible species/factions 38th could be mixing and matching with right now. Just dumping info about it in thread is gonna bog people down rather than help anyone, at least without a set of specifics we're looking to pinpoint

I do agree with BlueCyan that we're in the "Pale King" era of Hollow Knight right now. And a Wanderer dying makes me wonder if maybe we see Wildcat again in some form or another (*Wanderer's Journals* were an item in-game. You almost invariably found them next to a corpse, and poking corpses is like, half the Hollow Knight experience)

Also its a battle game. Literally everyone is a Vig.

Bedlam wrote: »

That’s not what a vig is. It literally isn’t everyone.

OrokosPA.png

He claimed the Cythraul kill, and provided mechanics behind a super-attack.
    That's a battle phalla vig.

I think I assume everyone who was around at vote close is village and the mafia wasn't around to change their kill off J4, because he wasn't in the lead until an hour or two before vote close.

edited October 2020

We. Can. All. Kill. People.

Outside of the regular democracy. Vigilante Justice.

Bedlam on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My bad, not used to having votes close this early on me.

That being said, this has been a rough go. We're at Day 3 and basically just have the two bandwagons to look at. The two seemed to be close for the whole day, I wouldn't think the mafia would risk throwing their kill on somebody that might be voted off before they could change it. I'm suspecting something else happened.

!jdarksun for now. Wondering if the dueling bandwagon will happen again.

In the odds that both people that were gettin' bandwagoned are/were village, then it's logical to assume mafia didn't pile on to JaysonFour, but split the difference between themselves. Possibly while bemoaning "Oh woe, I don't agree to this, but I'm contributing to it anyhow!"

• ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And to the bug that slashed me for 8 damage, jokes on you, I couldn't even figure out who to hit, so I guarded! It only hurt half as much, you idiot!

We. Can. All. Kill. People.

Outside of the regular democracy. Vigilante Justice.

Attacks work differently than what we would consider normal Kill powers, like significantly so. To trace terms back to their literal definition does not really seem productive. From my perspective a Vig is a village player with the ability to instantly Kill another player. Though, what J4 described sounded more like a REALLY powerful attack than a true Vig power. Still a lot of control over players deaths housed in one village player.
    I can claim that barring a bus driver of some sort being in the game, I tapped Infidel to use my power to hit Cyth. It requires one person to be tapped for eight points of damage so I can put a buttload of hurt on the kingdom's enemies with my soul power.

I'm wondering why he'd lie about that, is the thing...

Was it a mistake to hit Cyth? I imagine, but I was just flailing around in the dark, much like the rest of you.

I disagree with some of Disc's conclusions but think they are on to something. The missing Luminous eyes hit I can see four reasons for:

1) Targeted someone that died, either Gizzy or J4. Wildcat probably died to Attacks which is later in the turn order than Kills which probably are in !!!. I might expect to see a combined kill in narration if it was mingled with the suspicious disappearance kill of Gizzy, so most likely J4 of the three deaths.
    (REF Order of actions: Vote>???>Guard>!!!>Attacks>Seer)

2) Target was Guarded. Known existence of ability in OoA so not just speculation.

3) Didn't get orders in on time.

4) Not an every night ability. Just speculation

So I guess I agree it might be likely the luminoius eyes kill was not around near vote close. I would say it's more likely for an SK than a mafia to have fully missed changing targets/not getting orders in. I also think targetting a runner up to be not a good general strategy, though maybe they were worried about J4s early Zap claims.

Obbi comes to mind as the only non-voter. Outside of that, maybe some of the earlier people on Jdark. I don't recall ObiFett being too active later on.