As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I threw the Dionysus Boon on my Cast and paired it with Aspect of Hera bow. The image of smashing groups of enemies in the face with wine-filled arrows was hilarious (and quite effective I might add). They'd all sit stunned in a haze of fumes, then when the fumes wore off, they'd start getting pummeled by lightning bolts. :biggrin:

imagine the shield equivalent..... literally hammering them.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, I ran the numbers based on what's on the Hades wiki. Artemis's aid, at full bar, fires 10 arrows, each with a 35% chance to crit. The expected value of the base value of any arrow that hits is therefore 3 * .35 + 1 * .65, for a total of 1.7 times the base value. At Epic, the base damage of an arrow is 120, so the overall expected value of a full bar is around 2040 damage. Now, granted, Poms of Power will increase that damage, and certain other skills raise crit chances or the crit multiplier, but that's kind of amazing that Aphrodite outpunches Artemis with no investment and has a stun attached.

Artemis scales sharply with poms and any other boons that boost crit/crit dmg

As far as i can tell Aphrodite call does not increase in damage with levels, only the charm duration

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Dionysus and Demeter have good Calls for putting status effects on targets, if you're running the Mirror of Night boon that gives bonus damage for stacking status effects. They're a bit more useful as regular calls than waiting for the Greater Call bonus since status effects can only stack to a limit, but that also makes them more difficult to use.

I agree that Zeus and Artemis's Calls are a little bit on the weaker / less useful side, though. Artemis's has never really put out enough damage that I've felt it worth it, and Zeus's requires getting in quite close to your target to hit, which is not what you always want.

Demeter's call is hilarious if you have the boon that does 10 stacks = damage and no stacks. Chunks through boss HP pretty fast.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dionysus and Demeter have good Calls for putting status effects on targets, if you're running the Mirror of Night boon that gives bonus damage for stacking status effects.
    I usually work pretty hard at getting a build that pulls this off without relying on the Call slot, and I haven't had much trouble pulling it off.

admanb wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    My call rankings are, like...

Invincibility Tier: Athena
    Worse Invincibility Tier: Poseidon, Ares
    Chunking The Boss for 2.5k Is An Okay Consolation Prize I Guess Tier: Aphrodite
    Who Even Cares: The Rest

I couldn't even tell you what most of the lesser calls do; they seem so useless compared to the invincibility ones. Maybe there's a hidden gem in there I'm missing somehow, I don't know.

I imagine that's a high-heat perspective? At 1-5 heat I pretty much just prioritize chunking the boss for as much damage as possible.
    No, the opposite. My highest heat clear is, like, three. And at the levels I've played at, every run comes down to "either the last boss kills me or I win". So all I care about is getting the call that gives me the best chance in that specific fight, and I'd way rather have invincibility to save me from 40-damage spin attacks than a paltry amount of incidental AoE damage.

This is kind of an issue I have with this game's difficulty level in general (at least at low heat). There are basically only three gates that matter at all in terms of determining my success:

-Is my build slapshod enough that I ate a Death Defiance in Elysium pre- Patroclus? (Usually no.)

-Did I choke and eat a Death Defiance against Theseus? (Usually no.)

-Did I win the last boss fight? (Almost certainly yes if I have all my Death Defiances; otherwise it can go either way)

Nothing that happens in Tartarus, Asphodel, or pre-boss Styx matters at all. So if a Call is designed to help more with room clears than bosses, it's like...okay, that's nice; I don't care because that's not what ends my runs.

Things might be radically different at high heat, especially with the reduced healing pacts making attrition matter more. But the reward structure of the game is such that I'm incentivized to grind through like 30-40 gimmie runs before I start taking pacts that meaningfully impact the difficulty at all, and then probably another 30-40 before I start seeing the really nasty ones, and I kind of doubt I'll stick with the game that long.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ah sure. I prioritize high-damage calls like Artemis, Aphordite, and Zeus (and I guess Poseidon but I personally don't like the feel of that one) because chunking the boss for 1/3rd of his health bar is gonna save me from at least 40 damage. Best defense etc etc.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Well, Tartarus and Asphodel should be where you start to figure out a build, so I wouldn't say that nothing that happens there matters. By the time I get to the end of Asphodel, I'm going to want to have or be very close to deciding on my two main status effects for triggering the Privileged Status bonus.
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Dionysus and Demeter have good Calls for putting status effects on targets, if you're running the Mirror of Night boon that gives bonus damage for stacking status effects.
    I usually work pretty hard at getting a build that pulls this off without relying on the Call slot, and I haven't had much trouble pulling it off.
    I'm with you on rarely using Call abilities, but sometimes it's nice to have that tertiary status effect available for higher consistency, yeah?

I also get you on the Heat grind. I'm currently on a 19-win streak on that ladder, and I'm looking forward to breaking that streak to take a run to farm some more Darkness and get that alternative-perks prophecy completed. Yes, I could make that run at any time, but I kind of feel like it's against the spirit of building up Heat.

I guess while I'm here posting, here's the build from my last run that ended up being a lot of fun:
    ko9549of7bct.jpg
    It was my first run with Aspect of Chiron, and it really impressed me. Then again, a big part of that was just shooting lightning everywhere and getting extra volley arrows from my second Daedalus Hammer. I think that was the first run I've had where Zeus boons really wowed me though, so maybe it just worked really well with the way the weapon is supposed to play.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I’m at 30 attempts now with no escape yet. I had two kind of close ones. A build using bow with doom on attack, and my attack was rapid fire triple shot. I had weak on dash, with a duo that some combo of weakening and dooming prices multiple dooms. So basically I dashed onto things then instant shot triple arrows and repeated. I eventually got proccing 50 damage per hit on something with doom for my special which was kind of nuts. This let me chunk bosses but it was only my second attempt at the final boss, and his second health bar surprised me.

My other good run just had tons of defensiveness. I forget my offense but I was using the bow. I had the Athena damage reduction, damage reduction when no casts available, the gauntlet at level 3 so 30% dr in front. Weak on attac so even more dr. But most of all I got the regen health when no extra lives duo boon. Also I went into hades with 375 health and 1 defiance. Oh and I had athenas deflect cast and invulnerable call.

Welp I got kind of low around halfway through health bar two of the final boss. Was doing a good job of hiding to regen and stay alive. Had some unfortunate dodges take me low, then while dodging away (oh I forgot, my dash was achiles so I had sturdy on dash usually too) I somehow got caught by a full spear swipe from behind, without sturdy, without weak on him, for 40 damage. I had 40 health, So I was less than a second from surviving the hit. Was fucking pissed. I will never have a setup like that again.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I’m at 30 attempts now with no escape yet. I had two kind of close ones. A build using bow with doom on attack, and my attack was rapid fire triple shot. I had weak on dash, with a duo that some combo of weakening and dooming prices multiple dooms. So basically I dashed onto things then instant shot triple arrows and repeated. I eventually got proccing 50 damage per hit on something with doom for my special which was kind of nuts. This let me chunk bosses but it was only my second attempt at the final boss, and his second health bar surprised me.

My other good run just had tons of defensiveness. I forget my offense but I was using the bow. I had the Athena damage reduction, damage reduction when no casts available, the gauntlet at level 3 so 30% dr in front. Weak on attac so even more dr. But most of all I got the regen health when no extra lives duo boon. Also I went into hades with 375 health and 1 defiance. Oh and I had athenas deflect cast and invulnerable call.

Welp I got kind of low around halfway through health bar two of the final boss. Was doing a good job of hiding to regen and stay alive. Had some unfortunate dodges take me low, then while dodging away (oh I forgot, my dash was achiles so I had sturdy on dash usually too) I somehow got caught by a full spear swipe from behind, without sturdy, without weak on him, for 40 damage. I had 40 health, So I was less than a second from surviving the hit. Was fucking pissed. I will never have a setup like that again.

30 with no escapes is on par for most people. I think the average is 35 or 39 for the first escape.

And you will be able to get a setup similar to that again. Each god only has so many boons and you can get an ability that lets you reroll what they offer. Makes a big difference once you know what kind of synergies you like.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I had decent luck sticking with the shield for my first escape, since you can just Nope all kinds of damage with it and it still has ranged effects. The bow's always been the build I had the most trouble with.

Bow's definitely the one I always try to put doom on though, just because of the low rate of fire.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    also, in my experience, getting that first clear meant everything had clicked into place and i had a nice streak shortly after.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    also, in my experience, getting that first clear meant everything had clicked into place and i had a nice streak shortly after.

I went from escaping on Attempt 14 to failing on Attempt 15 (because I "borrowed" something) to full clearing Attempts 16 and 17 with different weapons. One of them should not have been a win, it was Spear without any kind of special boons besides Festive Fog and damage reduction out the ass. Tanked my way through the Underworld without losing a Death Defiance until final boss.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I just CANNOT beat the Final Boss with the dang spear arghl

Nor do I ever have enough Friendship Juice. Or House Bux. Or Mirror Bling. Or House Bux But Shinier. Or Gross Weapon Food. Or-- [etc etc]

*edit* Also, anyone else think, upon paying Charon, "Toss a coin to your boatman~"

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Actually ended up getting my escape in my next run so go figure.

Did it with spear. I had an insane amount of bonus damage on the special. Didn’t get the exploding upgrade but did get the crit. The toss was doing 100 and the return critting 300.

Oh and I used the aphro call which I got 3 full shots of on the final boss. That helped a bit.

A high-damage call plus auto-charge from Hermes is a pretty easy way to cheese a boss fight. I did that with Artemis' call (prolly had some crit buffs too) and each full charge was about 33% of the final boss' bar. Just have to know the fight well enough to not mis-time them, and the rest is dodging.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I followed up my first complete run of the game with a surprise second complete run, this time with the spear. Since I always go with the weapon marked by the Dark Thirst, I'm now doing a run with gloves, upgraded to the max with the Aspect of Zagreus.

For the moment I'm focusing on getting boons that I've never had, which is one of the reasons why I was surprised to complete that second run. I didn't put any planning into it whatsoever, some of the boons I took reinforced other abilities that I didn't even have, but it definitely seems to me that the game's teaching me to play better even when I'm not doing so in a particularly conscious, focused way. Or I just got lucky. :P

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Yeah, I'm trying to fill out the last few Olympian prophecies. Also, apparently to get Best Ending, I gotta give more Friendship Juice to the Olympians, which means back to grinding for more Friendship Juice.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Personally I got the win on attempt 15, and haven't yet won again in about four or five more tries. The boss's combo starting insta-slash just hits me every time, and since he takes a century to burn down, I eventually just kinda get whittled to death.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Yeah, I'm trying to fill out the last few Olympian prophecies. Also, apparently to get Best Ending, I gotta give more Friendship Juice to the Olympians, which means back to grinding for more Friendship Juice.

You know that you can buy friendship juice for keys and you can buy keys for gems?

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I just got a propecy to max out my relationship with the olympians after I downloaded the patch, but I never had a conversation to 'open' it up

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    My gun runs are feast or famine. I can more of less force spear/glove/shield/bow to suit me. Sword too if I go Arthur. But gun continues to be based on the whims of the gods and of course the hammer.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well look at that. Run 20, decided to just go fuck it on trying to melee, tossed a coin on whether bow or gun, gun won, and I won my second go:
    u3aq9byaaylv.png

Steam ID: Right here.
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    A nice bit showing the work Logan Cunningham has done voicing Supergiant's stuff. The guy is an incredible VA.

edited October 2020
    Well, I'm a sinner. Got so tired of the fishing window being way too narrow that I figured out how to modify the .lua files for fishing to make it a little more reasonable. Hopefully I didn't break the game...

*edit* In other hilarious news, with Final Boss and late Story spoilers.
    oh my god you break into Hades' room and HIS ENTIRE CLOSET AND MOST OF HIS ROOM IS CAPES!!! HE JUST BUYS NEW CAPES SO HE CAN SET THEM ON FIRE EVERY TIME YOU FIGHT HIM fSDJLFDJ

Zag: I KNEW IT! IT'S JUST CAPES!!!

Lucid_Seraph on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The biggest weakness with the Artemis call is that if the boss hits an phase transition the rest of the call's damage will be wasted. Will the Aphrodite call always do full damage?

altid wrote: »
    A nice bit showing the work Logan Cunningham has done voicing Supergiant's stuff. The guy is an incredible VA.

not gonna lie, when Pyre came out and i learned that the Sky Asshole was voiced by Cunningham i did a double-take.

Cunningham has RANGE.

altid wrote: »

not gonna lie, when Pyre came out and i learned that the Sky Asshole was voiced by Cunningham i did a double-take.

Cunningham has RANGE.

Same, and also when I found out that he's Achillies AND Hades AND the Narrator AND Asterius AND Posideon aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Most of those I could see him as being when it is pointed out, but the Poseidon is really shocking because the voice is so unique over the others.

Absolutely awesome VA work though. All the VA in Hades is stellar and I like to listen to EVERY single speech just to hear it. Even if it is the 100th time that an Olympian God has given me a witty line about lending me power.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'd love to get an opportunity to voice a Supergiant game. I actually practice imitating some of the characters while I play. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The biggest weakness with the Artemis call is that if the boss hits an phase transition the rest of the call's damage will be wasted. Will the Aphrodite call always do full damage?

Nope, same problem. Gotta time it for just after a transition, ideally.

8R7BtLw.png
    dunno if i lost my mojo or if it's the hidden shield aspect i can't wrap my mind around but i tried the hidden shield aspect and it seems good but both times i lost all my DDs at the first boss.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    dunno if i lost my mojo or if it's the hidden shield aspect i can't wrap my mind around but i tried the hidden shield aspect and it seems good but both times i lost all my DDs at the first boss.

It's not just you. I've got a run with it going now and everything feels so slow with it. Charge time, attacks, special. It's like I'm moving in molasses. Trying to work in some freeze effects to counter the problem or hoping for Hermes to speed things up.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

It's not just you. I've got a run with it going now and everything feels so slow with it. Charge time, attacks, special. It's like I'm moving in molasses. Trying to work in some freeze effects to counter the problem or hoping for Hermes to speed things up.
    It's a slightly slower weapon, but the thrown shield hits like a truck. Unfortunately, you lose your casts, and part of what makes shield great is how you can dump your casts and then throw the shield to decimate things at range. I usually spec Demeter and get that boon that increases your damage and reduces damage done to you when casts are 0. Then I invest my cast and enjoy a big buff for the rest of the room.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    jothki wrote: »

Don't think so.

I cleared with it but it felt clunky the whole time and I need two DDs recharged by Patroclus to do it. It’s very slow.

The build only came together when I had Poseidon cast to dump into it.

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

It's a slightly slower weapon, but the thrown shield hits like a truck. Unfortunately, you lose your casts, and part of what makes shield great is how you can dump your casts and then throw the shield to decimate things at range. I usually spec Demeter and get that boon that increases your damage and reduces damage done to you when casts are 0. Then I invest my cast and enjoy a big buff for the rest of the room.

wait, throwing it also consumes the casts? I thought it was only the bullrush that did that.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    considering the main thing you're supposed to do with Hidden Shield is load casts and nuke enemies with bull rush + cast attacking with it is slower and more deliberate because usually you should be herding enemies into groups to be dunked. slower charge time actually helps with fine control of where you want to stop since the hidden bull rush and cast unload is a pbaoe so where you stop becomes important.

Orphane on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

wait, throwing it also consumes the casts? I thought it was only the bullrush that did that.
    It does not consume the cast. But when the cast is stored, and you have 0/1 casts, you get the buff from Demeter's boon until it's used by a bull rush. I had a particularly hilarious run with that shield + that boon + a chilling special + the Hammer boon that makes the shield hit more targets when thrown. Everything was slow and/or melting.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited October 2020
    Fun story: that recent Logan Cunningham tweet made me realize that apparently, I'd been sort of just lurking vaguely near him at a PAX West several years ago to get out of the general Crowd and Press by the Supergiant booth, and I kept going "Is that Logan Cunningham, or just a random guy helping the booth? I don't want to ask, because we're so clearly *both* lurking just out of sight to get a breather from general PAX-ness, but holy shit I think it's Logan, but I don't want to ask, because, that would be awkward, and maybe it isn't!!! I heard him speak and he doesn't SOUND like Rucks" (BECAUSE OF COURSE HE DOESNT THATS NOT HIS NORMAL VOICE NERD) "so I don't wanna say anything, and if he's like me and just wants to be left alone I should just keep my mouth shut, ESPECIALLY since even if I'm in civvie clothes I'm still wearing my Enforcer badge and I don't wanna like, impose, but what if it IS him ---"

so I hung out awkwardly 10 ft away from Logan Cunningham in total silence for like half an hour at a PAX West because I'm shy and we both, apparently, hate crowds.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I unlocked the sword hidden aspect. That was by far the easiest run I've had. I think I could have pretty much any build and just stroll through the game with that aspect.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I still can't get any of the hidden aspects to unlock. I think I've fulfilled the conditions for the spear one, but just... Nothing happens.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    akjak wrote: »
    I still can't get any of the hidden aspects to unlock. I think I've fulfilled the conditions for the spear one, but just... Nothing happens.

Here’s the secret: it can take fucking forever

That’s it. That’s the whole secret. I think it took me 15-20 runs between hitting the conditions and unlocking the aspect.