As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    The fixed lights in the Diablo came from the Nissan 300ZX, hilariously.

I have a soft spot for popups, but always thought the 300zx had the slickest lighting setup of any of their contemporaries.

Just such a clean look all around. The Dodge taillight design language kind of reminds me of them and it's a good thing.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Aventador is my favourite Lamborghini, but I've loved all their cars right from growing up with posters of the Countach.

(Despite learning of the hilarious origins of the name)

Nova_C on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    zagdrob wrote: »

I have a soft spot for popups, but always thought the 300zx had the slickest lighting setup of any of their contemporaries.

Just such a clean look all around. The Dodge taillight design language kind of reminds me of them and it's a good thing.

God, I miss popups. I've had three cars with them. And I'd love another one. Just a styling trait I always loved, and often a defining part of the look of many of the cars I grew up loving.

Also I think a popup mod could look nice on a 300ZX. Alas, the related mods on other cars usually involve removing them rather than installing them...

Jazz on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So, we leased a super-basic Ford Fiesta a couple years ago with our Prius literally breaking down on the way to the dealership and barely making it there, kind of just out of desperation and not wanting to make a call on a long-term daily driver then and there. Probably not the best financial call we've made, but it's been fine for what it is.

Anyway, we're likely moving to Colorado next summer, and as inexperienced (read: zero experience) winter drivers we'd like to buy a used vehicle with AWD and slap some winter tires on it each cold season for peace of mind. Our price range is going to be like $10,000 - $15,000, preferably on the lower end of that range. With a little more money, I'd like to get a PHEV, but not happening with AWD in this price range.

Seeing a lot of Hyundai, Kia, and GM vehicles on the used market at this price point, but the one that intrigues me the most is the VW Tiguan. Never owned a Volkswagen, or any European car for that matter. I like that it's on the smaller side, has a well-liked engine and transmission with a little more oomph than typical for a small SUV, and that the AWD is supposedly pretty good. Don't like that the fuel economy is mediocre, but this will almost certainly be a low-mileage city car except for trips up into the mountains.

DnD, am I in for a world of hurt maintenance-wise if I get a used Volkswagen with 40,000-80,000 miles on it?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    OremLK wrote: »
    So, we leased a super-basic Ford Fiesta a couple years ago with our Prius literally breaking down on the way to the dealership and barely making it there, kind of just out of desperation and not wanting to make a call on a long-term daily driver then and there. Probably not the best financial call we've made, but it's been fine for what it is.

Anyway, we're likely moving to Colorado next summer, and as inexperienced (read: zero experience) winter drivers we'd like to buy a used vehicle with AWD and slap some winter tires on it each cold season for peace of mind. Our price range is going to be like $10,000 - $15,000, preferably on the lower end of that range. With a little more money, I'd like to get a PHEV, but not happening with AWD in this price range.

Seeing a lot of Hyundai, Kia, and GM vehicles on the used market at this price point, but the one that intrigues me the most is the VW Tiguan. Never owned a Volkswagen, or any European car for that matter. I like that it's on the smaller side, has a well-liked engine and transmission with a little more oomph than typical for a small SUV, and that the AWD is supposedly pretty good. Don't like that the fuel economy is mediocre, but this will almost certainly be a low-mileage city car except for trips up into the mountains.

DnD, am I in for a world of hurt maintenance-wise if I get a used Volkswagen with 40,000-80,000 miles on it?

Used Subaru. Forester or Crosstrek lowest mileage newest model year you can find one in your price range. Impreza you won't get new off the lot, but can probably get a 2 year / 20k mile hatchback with a warranty in your range.

edited October 2020
    That was actually going to be my second choice, only problem is it's been tough to find one under 100k miles in this price range unless I am willing to buy like a 2011 that's on its fourth owner.

Edit: With impreza I am a bit concerned about ground clearance on snowy mornings. Living in houston I am unsure *how* worried to be about that, but yeah

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Every time I go into the Subaru dealership, they act almost offended that we won’t trade in our 2011 wrx with ~35k miles.

Never gonna happen. Perfect car is perfect.

OremLK wrote: »
    That was actually going to be my second choice, only problem is it's been tough to find one under 100k miles in this price range unless I am willing to buy like a 2011 that's on its fourth owner.

Edit: With impreza I am a bit concerned about ground clearance on snowy mornings. Living in houston I am unsure *how* worried to be about that, but yeah

I had an Impreza for 9 years. Seven of those years was up here in Yellowknife. As long as you're not trying to off road in the winter, the clearance is fine.

Back when I lived in Calgary, about a year after I got the Impreza, there was a massive snowstorm. I was due in to the dealer for a service and went. While I was there, I overheard the sales team talking - one of them was stuck at home - their Range Rover couldn't get out of the driveway. They sent one of the team in an Impreza off the lot to fish them out.

It's easy to underestimate, and it is such an easy to drive car in heavy snow.

Good to know, thanks! Hearing that definitely makes me more likely to pick one up.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »

God, I miss popups. I've had three cars with them. And I'd love another one. Just a styling trait I always loved, and often a defining part of the look of many of the cars I grew up loving.

Also I think a popup mod could look nice on a 300ZX. Alas, the related mods on other cars usually involve removing them rather than installing them...

Just get a Z31 300ZX, it has pop-ups!

800px-Mondial_de_l%27Automobile_2010%2C_Paris_-_France_%285058339857%29.jpg

I forgot about those 👍

edited October 2020
    It honestly might make sense to get a brand new Impreza or Crosstrek if I'm going to get a Subaru? I don't know. They just hold their value so damned well. I can't find anything used anywhere near me that makes sense versus just buying brand new and getting a longer loan. Cars that don't depreciate much are a double-edged sword, you know? I kind of don't want to get a car anywhere near 100k miles regardless of the brand, after multiple experiences of Toyotas and Hondas being basically totaled on major repair bills in the 110k - 150k range. But on the other hand, if I want Subaru (or a Honda or Toyota with AWD) down around 50k miles, it looks like I'm going to spend over $15,000 regardless. At that point you're not too far off MSRP for a base Impreza.

Decisions decisions...

OremLK on
    Yeah, that ended up being the main reason I bought mine new.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So, I'm moving to Boston in a month or so, and I've only ever lived in warm places. I have a 2016 Forester with new-this-year all season tires. I will be living in an apartment for the foreseeable, which means I probably won't have extra space to store a second set of tires.

Questions are:
    Am I going to slide off the road and die on the way there?
    If I restrict my driving to relatively good conditions (ie. don't go out in blizzards, wait until shit is plowed) do I need to get snow tires this year?
    Are there common solutions for apartment-livers to store tires?
    Do I actually need to do anything to "winterize" the car?

I've read a few articles on this, so I think the answers are no, no, yes, and no but I'm curious to get some thoughts.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A Forester with all season tires is a beast, you’ll be fine.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Having lived in Minnesota most my life I can tell you that all season tires are fine for winter driving. Wait until the roads are treated and you'll be a-ok, especially in a newer car with traction control. Don't get cocky though, pay attention even if the drive seems easy.

If you need to go out before the roads are clear, avoid hills and take it real slow. You'd be surprised how little snow it takes to send your car sliding into an intersection, or slipping backwards down a hill (not fun).

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also you can get yourself a set of chains to have on hand in case you have to go out in the absolute shit. They can live in a bag in the closet except for the handful of times you might need them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Yeah, the car's traction control and AWD will hide slipperiness from you, so be aware.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Biggest thing is to just drive slower and be careful in snow/ice. Don't panic, just slow it down. AWD will help you accelerate faster/better, but you have the same braking ability as those around you.

Snow tires are only needed if you're planning on lots of ski/snowboard trips.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    You'll be fine with all seasons. Just take extra care when accelerating and give plenty of extra room and smooth application of the brake when coming to a stop. Keeping that in mind, just do everything as smoothly as you can and leave more space between other cars and yourself.

Snow tires make a significant difference in acceleration from a stop and when coming to a stop. The level of grip they provide over an all season is substantial, but with careful driving techniques and cleared roads all seasons will do fine. If at some point you're able to have the extra space for dedicated snow tires they are worth the investment (if only for peace of mind knowing that extra grip is there when you weren't expecting to need it).

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited October 2020
    Sounds like you guys mostly agree with where I ended up: snow tires would be good to have, but not required immediately.

Another dumb question: Do I need to/can I check that my washer fluid and/or coolant are rated for low temp?

VishNub on
    edited October 2020
    A Forester with a good set of all-seasons will be able to handle 99% of driving conditions, and that 1% (if that) where honest to god snow tires would benefit you are situations where you're better off avoiding if at all possible anyways.

Dedicated snow tires only make sense is if you swap out for winter anyway or you live somewhere remote / mountainous where you get massive amounts of snow and can't count on roads being cleared for days or weeks. I run summer performance tires on my WRX normally, so since I have to swap out it might as well be to Blizzaks.

Go slow if the roads aren't clear and avoid going out if there's a lot (6"+) snow and the road commission hasn't plowed. Other than that? Don't be cocky but any Subaru (BRZ excepted) with all seasons or snow tires should drive through any depth of snow as long as you don't let it get high centered.

Some tire places will store your wheels / tires in the off season at relatively low cost. If your apartment doesn't have a big enough storage area though an extra set of wheels are kind of a pain. Hell, they can be a pain in a garage / shed and in the way all the time unless you have a quiet corner or build a rack for them.

You don't really need to do anything to winterize a car. You usually burn through washer fluid a bit faster and want to have good wiper blades, but that's just normal maintenance. My winterization is usually a weekend or so before Thanksgiving I swap out my wheels and throw my slush mats + scraper in it. It's also a good idea to keep a winter kit with emergency winter hat / gloves / hand warmers, a folding shovel, and a tow strap just in case you need it. I've only used mine to help other people, but it's amazingly hilarious using a WRX to pull out a stuck F150.

We also use salt here in Michigan so anytime it gets close to warm enough I wash it really well.

Edit - unless you're in like Nome or Minot any washer fluid or coolant is fine. Subaru batteries are kinda shitty so keep some cables in your car, but unless it starts giving you issues no reason to preemptively swap it out.

zagdrob on
    VishNub wrote: »
    Sounds like you guys mostly agree with where I ended up: snow tires would be good to have, but not required immediately.

Another dumb question: Do I need to/can I check that my washer fluid and/or coolant are rated for low temp?

If it's the standard blue stuff then it's most likely not winter rated. If you want to/need to drain it then just run the wipers for 10-15 second intervals, wait 10-15 seconds, run them again, and repeat that until the washer tank is low warning light comes on. Then put in the winter rated stuff. I avoid anything from Rain-X like the plague because it can gum up the fluid level sensor over time (happened in my VW).

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    One thing I found that works really well when decelerating in my AWD Subaru was to downshift. I realize it's not super possible with an automatic transmission, but if it allows you to do so, use that. I got much better bang for my buck by doing that than ever hitting the brakes until the speed was slow enough, like almost at a complete stop and stalling the engine.

The anti-freeze that comes with most cars is already mixed at 50% antifreeze and 50% water. Those temps usually go into the -20s & -30s F. So you should be good, unless you expect to regularly have tempts below that.
    If so, you can make your own mix. The temperatures and their mixtures are on the label. Something like 70/30 is good for really really low temps, for instance.
    As for the windshield washer fluid, what Cormac said is pretty true. The blue stuff will stay as a liquid when the temps are less than the freezing point of water, but not to like 0F. There are specific mixtures for that, and I think I've seen some things you can mix into the existing stuff to keep it liquid, though I don't know if that's the RainX stuff that Cormac was talking about.

One thing I found that works really well when decelerating in my AWD Subaru was to downshift. I realize it's not super possible with an automatic transmission, but if it allows you to do so, use that. I got much better bang for my buck by doing that than ever hitting the brakes until the speed was slow enough, like almost at a complete stop and stalling the engine.

The anti-freeze that comes with most cars is already mixed at 50% antifreeze and 50% water. Those temps usually go into the -20s & -30s F. So you should be good, unless you expect to regularly have tempts below that.
    If so, you can make your own mix. The temperatures and their mixtures are on the label. Something like 70/30 is good for really really low temps, for instance.
    As for the windshield washer fluid, what Cormac said is pretty true. The blue stuff will stay as a liquid when the temps are less than the freezing point of water, but not to like 0F. There are specific mixtures for that, and I think I've seen some things you can mix into the existing stuff to keep it liquid, though I don't know if that's the RainX stuff that Cormac was talking about.

I buy winter specific stuff, Prestone De-Icer has been my go to for the past few years, that's rated to stay liquid to something like -35F. Just buy whatever you can find locally at the grocery or auto parts store.

You'll also want a good snow brush and ice scraper. I use a one of these, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QFSGN1L, but The Wirecutter's guide has some good suggestions too https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-ice-scraper/. I personally don't like brushes because they're much rougher on the paint than a big foam paddle thing. As someone who is deep deep down the rabbit hole of car detailing and paint correction I want to clean off the snow and do as little damage to my paint as possible.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Boston area roads are generally fine. It's only once you're in the backwoods of NH/VT/ME that roads are really going to get bad enough to warrant snows. They're better on ice, but if you're in metro boston, it should rarely get bad enough to warrant the purchase. I'd say on your next round of all-season purchases, purchase a severe duty set (look for mountain/snowflake), but that's about as far as I'd take it.

edited October 2020
    I got my car back today. I wasn't expecting it until the end of the week at best. The boss at the garage has yet to call me to tell me the ins and outs and give me a number, but apparently it was just a boost pressure problem (so I assume the pipe either broke or sprung a leak). No words like "new turbo" yet...! So hopefully it won't be too bad.

So yeah, car back before being charged... almost a shame they know where I live :wink:

I haven't taken it out yet either.

Edit: no phone call same day. I'd say that's weird but their track record of phoning me lately (to get back to me with quotes etc) hasn't been great, to say the least...

Edit edit: no phone call the next day (today) either... huh... well, if they want their money...

Jazz on
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Boston area roads are generally fine. It's only once you're in the backwoods of NH/VT/ME that roads are really going to get bad enough to warrant snows. They're better on ice, but if you're in metro boston, it should rarely get bad enough to warrant the purchase. I'd say on your next round of all-season purchases, purchase a severe duty set (look for mountain/snowflake), but that's about as far as I'd take it.

Common naming for these tires are All-Weather (All-Season, but with the Mountain/Snowflake symbol). We sell a boat load of the Toyo Celsius for our customers, but there are lots of brands making winter capable (which is to say, they're decent, but nothing to write home about). They're an excellent option for people who rarely deal with severe winter conditions, OR can't afford the outlay of two sets of tires and (ideally) wheels.

Dedicated premium winter tires will kick the shit out of them in icy conditions though, to be clear.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    edited October 2020
    The ones I have specifically are nokian entyre

iuev3xi4wu6w.jpeg

VishNub on
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    The ones I have specifically are nokian entyre
    iuev3xi4wu6w.jpeg

Typically low rolling resistance tires (identified by the leaf and wording on the LH side of that photo) are a harder rubber compound, and while they're not going to be as useless as a dedicated performance summer tire (believe me, even a whiff of snow and you're going skating on those) you'll see massive improvement from a winter tire, specifically on icy conditions.

You'll probably be fine when the snow is falling and accumulating on the ground, but once things thaw and re-freeze, or in a polished intersection you'll notice a set of dedicated winters paying dividends. Care and attention is advised!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    Eventually got an invoice for my car. £323 and change, replaced the turbo boost recovery valve apparently.

Better than a new turbo!

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    After driving just my Prius Prime for about 3 years I was itching to get a secondary fun car again.
    Since I loved the crap out of my turboed '95 miata that I sold years ago I started looking at miatas again. Instead of buying one and putting a turbo in myself I decided to go looking for the rare-ish mazdaspeed miata which was the only factory miata with a turbo. It was only sold in '04 and '05 with a total production run of 5,400 cars. It was supposed to be 8,000 but the factory caught fire in 2005. :o

Through a coworker I managed to find a 2004 with 29,000 miles on it. This thing has been a dream to work on because the previous owner had it garaged the entire time and said they rarely if ever drove it in the rain. I put on a new FM downpipe, midpipe, and exhaust and I'm used to those bolts being a motherfuckingbitch to get off on other cars, but these were shockingly easy. I've also thrown the FM intake package on it. Somehow Mazda did an amazingly awful job on the intake and exhaust of this car. When you switch those out it goes from ~150rwhp to ~200rwhp. So it is nice to have that much performance improvement with such little effort.

hdoqa1ipz4gn.jpg

qsggck09iszf.jpg

I still prefer the look of the NAs over the NBs, but it is nicer to have a 16 year old car instead of a 22+ year old car.

Plus look at how hilariously small this stock intercooler is:
    2004-mazda-mx-5-miata-mazdaspeed-ms-mx-5-miata-008.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Buddy of mine had one of those about 10 years ago, silver as well. That thing drove like it was glued to the road. It handled so exceptionally well it was honestly amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Huh, it's even the same colour...

http://www.v8mazda.com/index.html

• TefTef Registered User regular
    My dad had a Tiguan, did about 200,000kms in it (about 10,000 on the clock when he got it) and honestly, it was a piece of shit. Constant electrical problems (cameras failing, central locking fucked up, windows not always working), the ride was really stiff, cabin noise like woah, and expensive to maintain (in New Zealand).

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I had some money saved up and I went to the dealership to go buy one of those Mazdaspeed Miatas.

I got laughed out by the salesperson because I couldn't afford it, and the money down wasn't enough to buy it without a loan and I apparently didn't qualify for any loans for any cars at all ever.

That's a nice looking car! I'm envious!

Ahhhh if I had close to enough money I'd snap one of these up so fast...

https://youtu.be/1bm5fvozR_U

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    After driving just my Prius Prime for about 3 years I was itching to get a secondary fun car again.
    Since I loved the crap out of my turboed '95 miata that I sold years ago I started looking at miatas again. Instead of buying one and putting a turbo in myself I decided to go looking for the rare-ish mazdaspeed miata which was the only factory miata with a turbo. It was only sold in '04 and '05 with a total production run of 5,400 cars. It was supposed to be 8,000 but the factory caught fire in 2005. :o

Through a coworker I managed to find a 2004 with 29,000 miles on it. This thing has been a dream to work on because the previous owner had it garaged the entire time and said they rarely if ever drove it in the rain. I put on a new FM downpipe, midpipe, and exhaust and I'm used to those bolts being a motherfuckingbitch to get off on other cars, but these were shockingly easy. I've also thrown the FM intake package on it. Somehow Mazda did an amazingly awful job on the intake and exhaust of this car. When you switch those out it goes from ~150rwhp to ~200rwhp. So it is nice to have that much performance improvement with such little effort.

hdoqa1ipz4gn.jpg

qsggck09iszf.jpg

I still prefer the look of the NAs over the NBs, but it is nicer to have a 16 year old car instead of a 22+ year old car.

Plus look at how hilariously small this stock intercooler is:
    2004-mazda-mx-5-miata-mazdaspeed-ms-mx-5-miata-008.jpg

I'm jealous you can fit in one. I tried to test drive one in my 20s(?) and had to put the top down just to get in it, my forehead was even with the top of the windshield :(

Congrats on getting a unicorn though!

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
    edited November 2020
    It's time for new pads and rotors and my local mechanic is ok with me bringing my own parts for them to install. I've ordered the rotors, R1 Concepts Geomet blanks, but I'm still deciding between Porterfield R4-S's and Akebono ASP's. The Porterfields are $60 more than the Akebonos, but I'm not sure they're going to be noticeable better. Both are going to dust significantly less than the OEM Lexus pads but still have nearly the same initial bite.

Edit: I went with the Akebonos. I just couldn't see any reason to spend the extra money for the Porterfields when so many owners of the same car as I have love the Akebonos but have zero experience with the Porterfields.

Cormac on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I had some money saved up and I went to the dealership to go buy one of those Mazdaspeed Miatas.

I got laughed out by the salesperson because I couldn't afford it, and the money down wasn't enough to buy it without a loan and I apparently didn't qualify for any loans for any cars at all ever.

That's a nice looking car! I'm envious!

That sucks. When I was reading up on them it sounds like they didn't sell very well. I think the s2000 was more appealing or something?

Car and Driver review:
    A standard Miata LS—with leather, but without a six-speed, turbo, or suspension upgrades—costs just $827 less [than the MSM]
    With that in mind I don't know why the lower trim still sold well but the MSM didn't.

"Bullhead wrote:
    I'm jealous you can fit in one. I tried to test drive one in my 20s(?) and had to put the top down just to get in it, my forehead was even with the top of the windshield :(
    Congrats on getting a unicorn though!
    There are some "tall guy" mods that can be done that allow people that are 6' and maybe even 6'1" fit in the car. I'm 5'11" and it is fine, but I might do the partial cushion removal from the driver seat to sit just a little lower. When I did that in my old NA miata I think I managed to get about 1" lower.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.