As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] has a new season, and you can kind of watch Urusei Yatsura instead.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    New Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEjqATcPAg

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Did they get fuckin' Libera to sing their goddamn preview jingle?

Blasphemy.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I never watched/read Inuyasha, but I jumped into the sequel series.

I'm wondering if not knowing all these established characters and history will be a problem, or if it will move the focus to the new characters.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    What I should be doing in Umineko: trying to solve the mystery of the Witch's Illusion

what I am doing: trying to figure out what the fuck a "patis" is. After ducking into the japanese text to see how it's spelled in katakana and heading to a japanese recipe blog, I eventually figured out that the correct translation would be "patties", here referring to a meat pie similar to Jamaican beef patties.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I gave Ancient Magus Bride two episodes, but it feels like it's spinning its wheels and being a little overly melodramatic... I guess we'll see if it passes the four episode test.
    I like the modern-ish setting, at least.

Make sure that you are actually watching the show proper and not the OVA specials cause I got messed up by that in Crunchyroll’s catalogue

Yeah the OVAs are a prequel and really not representative of the actual show

tobefaaaair I feel like Ancient Magus Bride itself is very melodramatic and spins its wheels like a Ferrari stuck in deep sand

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I gave Ancient Magus Bride two episodes, but it feels like it's spinning its wheels and being a little overly melodramatic... I guess we'll see if it passes the four episode test.

Make sure that you are actually watching the show proper and not the OVA specials cause I got messed up by that in Crunchyroll’s catalogue

tobefaaaair I feel like Ancient Magus Bride itself is very melodramatic and spins its wheels like a Ferrari stuck in deep sand

It's a very well drawn Ferrari with good tunes on the radio though. And sand setting has some neat castles and crabs in it.

I think the metaphor is getting away from me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Yes but I dont actively wish I was dead after watching it unlike the OVA

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    7N6zfpBm.png

damn the only thing that could take longer than the actual tournament of power

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    What I should be doing in Umineko: trying to solve the mystery of the Witch's Illusion

what I am doing: trying to figure out what the fuck a "patis" is. After ducking into the japanese text to see how it's spelled in katakana and heading to a japanese recipe blog, I eventually figured out that the correct translation would be "patties", here referring to a meat pie similar to Jamaican beef patties.

eat your bugers apollo

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    What was the word in the japanese script? Was it "hambagu" aka hamburger aka hamburg steak? Anime has told me that is a pretty common dish over there.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    What was the word in the japanese script? Was it "hambagu" aka hamburger aka hamburg steak? Anime has told me that is a pretty common dish over there.

yeah, it's what we would call salsbury steak in the states

just a hamburger patty slathered in brown gravy

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

It was パティス, pateisu

which I think is supposed to be how "patties" would be pronounced in Japanese, but whoever translated it seems to have assumed that it was a foreign dish called "patis"

figuring out exactly what foreign word is meant just from the katakana can be a bit tricky

they mentioned it was a foreign dish served with a type of tea from Sri Lanka, so that helped me figure it out

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Fucking wow, wandering witch may have just lost me.

Anime needs to fucking cut it out with slavery plot lines, especially if the lead character isn’t going to fucking immediately free them and kill their masters.

Shame too because the first two eps of that show were strong.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I started reading Chainsaw Man!

...Holy shit, is this ever filling the Dorohedoro shaped Hole in my heart...

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Y’all I am fuckin mad about anime today

• Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

speaking of which, chapter 89 just released

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

I very badly want a Chainsaw Man figure, and I may have to convert one for a 40k daemon.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Anime needs to fucking cut it out with slavery plot lines, especially if the lead character isn’t going to fucking immediately free them and kill their masters.

Fucking AGAIN!? Why? What's going on that fantasy series in the last few years keep doing this?!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    yfcwo8k4v8cs.png

Kobeni continues to have a great day

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

You say that like melodrama is a bad thing! Some of my favorite stuff of the last years have the Unnecessary Shakespearian Melodrama dial set to YES (see: Beastars, Revue, etcetera) and it's great.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

ehhhh I think its slower pacing and willingness to just explore the world and characters are some of its biggest strengths

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Ancient Magus Bride goes heavy on the english folklore worldbuilding and I think it's rad.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    eh, I think Ancient Magus Bride felt really hollow for me, in the opposite of the way that Beastars, Land of the Lustrous, Dorohedoro, Mushishi, Haibane Renmei, or numerous other serieses that rely on slow burn characterization and organic worldbuilding all stuck the landing on leaving me fulfilled

but then Fate/Zero also did literally nothing for me in the exact same way (as in, watching it just made me feel like the One Punch Man "OK" reaction, not even in a bad way so much as a total apathy) so I know my calibration wrt anime is tuned a very certain way

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It is pretty hollow but it's got style.

Fat Zero has one of the best villain progression character arcs I've ever seen.
    It's a reverse hero's journey and I am a huge fan of it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Maybe the core relationship between the two main characters got development later in the season, but by the time I dropped it, sixteen episodes in, it just felt chemistryless, and that most of the worldbuilding along the way was a distraction from that emptiness at the center

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Fate Zero? It all pays off at the end in a big way.

If you talking about Magus Bride it is very slow but never felt chemistryless to me.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I liked it fairly well, though for whatever reason i stopped like 2 episodes before the end of the season.
    But it would be like 1 million percent better if instead of him buying her to marry her and all the sketchy baggage that entails, it had been more of an adoption into apprenticeship kind situation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    yfcwo8k4v8cs.png

Kobeni continues to have a great day

Additional Spiderman references. The author just loves movies.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    fuckin' chainsawman
    really enjoyed seeing all the folks denji saved along the way coming back like this. what a swerve.

also this definitely feels like a deliberate callback to the time kobeni saved his ass, right? As much fun as she's been as a goof character i kinda want to see her pull off another moment of unexpected hyper-competence here

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Ok, I finished Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and it's the best new anime I've seen in a while.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, I finished Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and it's the best new anime I've seen in a while.

now watch something else by yuasa

like say devilman: crybaby

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

This episode was 2 episodes smashed together and the first one was the only one worth exploring.

The slave story was made worse by the sons flat out oblivious nature like fuck em all I hope she does murder them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

This episode was 2 episodes smashed together and the first one was the only one worth exploring.

The slave story was made worse by the sons flat out oblivious nature like fuck em all I hope she does murder them

The main character just shrugging and going guess that's how it is! was definitely the worst part.

rhylith on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hey, I love melodrama. As said, Fate/Zero is excellent, and Kimagure Orange Road's movie is an exercise in emotional evisceration.

I just enjoy good melodrama.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So this week's Black Clover is kinda fantastic.
    I love the implication that there's actually a reason for Asta's lack of magic, specifically that his mother's magic was to absorb magic powers from others, and likely did so to Asta while he was in the womb, making him the perfect vessel for anti-magic. The whole "she was the one who sealed the devil in the grimoire" and the backstory to make them genuine allies once it gets hashed out is just icing.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ancient Magus Bride is the story of two depressed people trying to make sure the other one doesn't get hurt, but in doing so makes very poor decisions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Pip you can't just tell someone to watch devilman: crybaby

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Ancient Magus Bride is the story of two depressed people trying to make sure the other one doesn't get hurt, but in doing so makes very poor decisions.

this is probably a big reason I like it so much

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

It was パティス, pateisu

which I think is supposed to be how "patties" would be pronounced in Japanese, but whoever translated it seems to have assumed that it was a foreign dish called "patis"

figuring out exactly what foreign word is meant just from the katakana can be a bit tricky

they mentioned it was a foreign dish served with a type of tea from Sri Lanka, so that helped me figure it out

パティス does translate to Patis, a kind of fish sauce commonly used to flavor meat pies: https://cookpad.com/recipe/5113388

3k4boic825ep.jpeg

Not sure what this is in reference to, but the translation appears to be correct.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Pip you can't just tell someone to watch devilman: crybaby

the fuck I can't!

This discussion has been closed.