As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Maybe the string of high profile disasters this year will convince publishers to stop turning everything into LiVe SeRvIcEs.

something that puzzles me about these games that say "We're not MMOs we're just trying to cause people to repeatedly play our game in a similar fashion" is that they never emulate the endgame options of MMOs

like it's all "continually incrementally grind your gear by doing the same missions over and over" and there's never shit like, unlock fun little pets that follow your character around! play triple triad! collect mounts!

there's a lack of pointless goals in these games and the pointless goals are what keeps players in when they burn out from running a dungeon three times in a row and get jackshit

liEt3nH.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Maybe the string of high profile disasters this year will convince publishers to stop turning everything into LiVe SeRvIcEs.

something that puzzles me about these games that say "We're not MMOs we're just trying to cause people to repeatedly play our game in a similar fashion" is that they never emulate the endgame options of MMOs

like it's all "continually incrementally grind your gear by doing the same missions over and over" and there's never shit like, unlock fun little pets that follow your character around! play triple triad! collect mounts!

there's a lack of pointless goals in these games and the pointless goals are what keeps players in when they burn out from running a dungeon three times in a row and get jackshit

every game needs a fishing minigame

if i could just put tony stark and thor on a little boat with stupid hats on and make them catch some fukkin catfish, I'd buy avengers right now

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Madican wrote: »
    It's honestly kinda baffling how there can be two identical threads allowed in different sections of the forum.

they're not identical!

just look at how different the politics threads are between subforums! B)

Kind of a difference between the vast array of politics to talk about and one specific form of media.

Sure but SE++ lets people wander from the topic to explore other nooks and crannies, or just talk about food. Versus everyone having to stay solidly on topic for the entire thread. If someone wants a purely on topic thread, they hang out in G&T or D&D or one of the other smaller sub forums.

It would be pretty dull if I had to go to G&T to talk about video games if they made the thread first, or all of those folks who want a structured conversation to have to come here if we beat them to it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    It's honestly kinda baffling how there can be two identical threads allowed in different sections of the forum.

they're not identical!

Kind of a difference between the vast array of politics to talk about and one specific form of media.

The G&T Overwatch thread is very different in topic focus and culture than the SE++ Overwatch thread. I imagine it is similar for other "identical" threads.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Brolo wrote: »

if i could just put tony stark and thor on a little boat with stupid hats on and make them catch some fukkin catfish, I'd buy avengers right now

ic18j93p4d56.png

i got this shark pet from fishing in ff14

made it a good game!

liEt3nH.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

https://youtu.be/byabkUGf9wg

Avengers was the best selling physical game in September, beating out Super Mario 3d All-Stars. It's the 2nd best launch month sales of a superhero game of all time (after Spider-Man PS4) and the 7th best-selling game of the year.

This is not going to help the case against live service games.

Crippl3 on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

My guess is that it's because the decision to go GaaS is made at the publisher level, not by the actual developers, and publishers (and investors) tend not to understand why or how huge popular live services/MMO games actually got that way.

It's why we saw a slew of shitty MMOs, and why we've been seeing a slew of shitty live service games and shitty battle royale games.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular

And going forward everything will be a Gatcha.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    I'm playing (vanilla) Battletech again and I just picked up an early Black Knight immediately after getting the main ship. Do I keep the PPC or go full disco ball?

Discoball. It's time for some Saturday Knight Fever!

Black Knight is a great pickup right when you get the Argo - nice!

Discoball is certainly the optimal play. On paper the PPC is just too heavy and throws off too much heat for the damage. That weight is better used on medium lasers, heat sinks, armor and jump jets. I do like having a PPC around in the early days, though. I often won't get rid of the one the starting Vindicator has, for example. There are some intangibles w/ the PPC outside it's middling DPS like range (which is super handy esp for turrets and vehicle convoy killing) and its unique sensor scrambling effect. Always nice to land a PPC hit against a missile heavy enemy like a Kintaro as it's just pure damage reduction based on the way missiles hit and do damage.

So Discoball! But don't sweat keeping a PPC around especially early in the campaign before everything drifts towards optimal builds. :)
    I also felt like the PPC has decent single-bodypart damage for the early game, particularly for a long-range weapon. Like, late game, health and damage values are high enough that it's fairly rare for 60 damage to have a high chance of blowing off a part when an alpha strike wouldn't be able to do the same thing, but early game it crops up reliably.

Yeah PPCs definitely have handy points, like the aforementioned sensor scrambling, or the fact they can one shot some vehicles.

I restarted the game the other week, as I never got beyond the 4th (i think) story mission. I just got 2/3 of a black knight from a mission, but I do have my player character in a Quickdraw with 6 M Lasers. I've also got called shot mastery so I have 6x 17% chances at hitting most things things in the head. Given that most mechs in this part of the game have less than 50 HP there, that's basically 1-2 precision shot uses on most things.

I feel like sensor scrambling is the big advantage of the PPC even into the mid-game, although you start needing more than one. I'd even use the PPC++ with enhanced sensor scrsmbling in the late game. One of the problems with PPCs is even though they stack, by the late game, you need 5+ to achieve an equivalent proportional sensor scrambling effect as you did with a single PPC in the early game, which you don't really have room for in your lance as you generally want to take a balanced team in a variety of roles. It's something I'd be willing to explore with one of those larger lance mods, though.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Avengers was the best selling physical game in September, beating out Super Mario 3d All-Stars. It's the 2nd best launch month sales of a superhero game of all time (after Spider-Man PS4) and the 7th best-selling game of the year.

I mean that's the question though is how much were they planning on making their sales metrics regarding disc sales versus in-game monetization. By all accounts, the original sale targets are almost certainly being met. But player retention is necessary if your budget relied on a long tail of IAP

liEt3nH.png
    Crippl3 wrote: »

still, being owned by square-enix, the devs were ultimately considered a failure

LqMbH30.jpg

FEED THEM TO THE SHARKTICONS

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A game can be the best selling game in a month and still do badly depending on the month.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I think that would require more work than they want to put in in many cases.

Like really silly goofy quests or pointless games barely connected to the main game probably require more resources than many of these developers are willing to put into them.

Couscous on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yo @Brolo, cuz I'm probably the only one that cares, but Dirt 5 actually got delayed (for the second time), to Nov 6.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

they're not identical!

Sure but SE++ lets people wander from the topic to explore other nooks and crannies, or just talk about food. Versus everyone having to stay solidly on topic for the entire thread. If someone wants a purely on topic thread, they hang out in G&T or D&D or one of the other smaller sub forums.

It would be pretty dull if I had to go to G&T to talk about video games if they made the thread first, or all of those folks who want a structured conversation to have to come here if we beat them to it.

Also, the D&D book thread is absolutely baffling to me. I usually don't want to throw shade at a whole subforum, but my professional opinion is that they are Bad At Books.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

ic18j93p4d56.png

i got this shark pet from fishing in ff14

made it a good game!

This, so far, is the best case anyone has made to me that I should play FF14.

Look at his little legs!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

how do you feel about ninja space wizards throwing electric spears at fish on venus?

cause lemme tell you about warframes fishing

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

And going forward everything will be a Gatcha.

I could definitely see the success of Genshin Impact causing a gatcha wave in the big game space.

That wave will also probably fail. I'm being continuously impressed by how much work and craft has been put into Genshin, something that imitators probably won't fully recognize or be able to match.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    god I hope it(gacha outside of mobile games, I don't care about genshin impact specifically) fails
    I've been hoping for loot box gambling mechanics to get murdered of disinterest or legislation for 10 years now

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    god I hope it fails
    I've been hoping for loot box gambling mechanics to get murdered of disinterest or legislation for 10 years now

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong, it’s a gross model. I keep away from spending money on loot boxes, but it’s real easy to see how good it can feel to pull that lever

Steam ID
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    In other news, anyone got any advice making sense of which JackBox game is a good one to get?
    I looked a round a bit and I think 4 is the one that Ive played most via Twitch with streamers. I guess it sort of depends on if you want games where you write puns, or games where you draw more, and if audience participation is a factor.

I think my favorite individual game is the robot rap battle and ive heard that t-shirt k.o. is one of the best, but im not sure which pack those are in.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ya Genshin Impact isn't as popular as it is because its a gacha. It's because it's a very well made action RPG with BoTW style exploration, but with enough mechanical changes to differentiate itself, particularly with the combat, and an interesting world that's fun to explore.

Any developer that looks at it and goes "Oh well I guess I can make PC gacha now. People love that other gacha game" is destined to fail.

That being said the gacha is doing its job of making them money hand over fist. They've made absurd amounts of cash already from the game. But like you need to have a fun game to staple that predatory garbage onto in the first place.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    edited October 2020
    I feel like FIFA ultimate team and NBA 2K are already making enough money in the gacha space for western devs to be aware of it as a monetization strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh--V0ScI_s
    It appears the Ultimate Team game modes continue to rake in huge amounts of cash. According to their recent financial reports, EA has reported record numbers in the year 2020.

Across all sports franchise titles, including FIFA and Madden, EA generated a total of $1.49 billion through the Ultimate Team platform --- which is a $120 million increase on last year's revenue total of $1.37 billion.

Daniel Ahmad, who is a Senior Analyst at Niko Partners, posted the figures on Twitter earlier.

This is the third straight fiscal year EA has collected over $1 billion in revenue from UT, and it appears the game mode will only grow in the coming years as platforms like FIFA continue to grow in popularity.

To put this into further perspective, for fiscal 2020, EA's revenue topped $5.5 billion with $2.7 billion of that generated from players spending money on in-game content or live services.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming-news-the-figures-behind-ea-sports-net-revenue-from-ultimate-team-20200521

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MQ1ZMZ-l4
    NBA 2K20 has made more than $1 billion in combined sales and microtransaction revenues worldwide, Take-Two Interactive today announced.
    NBA 2K20 made over billion in less than a year 535 | TweakTown.com
    VIEW GALLERY - 2 IMAGES

NBA 2K20 is a monster. It's right up there with GTA Online, Take-Two's other billion-dollar darling, and has significantly materially impacted quarterly earnings since its launch. The big difference is NBA 2K20 has managed to rake in over $1 billion in total earnings and 14 million copies sold in less than a year.

"In the first quarter, NBA 2K20 significantly outperformed our expectations, and recently achieved a franchise milestone of $1 billion in net bookings since launch," Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said in a recent Q1'21 earnings call.
    Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74233/nba-2k20-made-over-1-billion-in-less-than-year/index.html

Brolo on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

how do you feel about ninja space wizards throwing electric spears at fish on venus?

cause lemme tell you about warframes fishing

Warframe's fishing is probably the best fishing minigame I've ever played, for reals

JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2020
    I feel like FIFA ultimate team and NBA 2K are already making enough money in the gacha space for western devs to be aware of it as a monetization strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh--V0ScI_s
    It appears the Ultimate Team game modes continue to rake in huge amounts of cash. According to their recent financial reports, EA has reported record numbers in the year 2020.

Across all sports franchise titles, including FIFA and Madden, EA generated a total of $1.49 billion through the Ultimate Team platform --- which is a $120 million increase on last year's revenue total of $1.37 billion.

Daniel Ahmad, who is a Senior Analyst at Niko Partners, posted the figures on Twitter earlier.

This is the third straight fiscal year EA has collected over $1 billion in revenue from UT, and it appears the game mode will only grow in the coming years as platforms like FIFA continue to grow in popularity.

To put this into further perspective, for fiscal 2020, EA's revenue topped $5.5 billion with $2.7 billion of that generated from players spending money on in-game content or live services.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming-news-the-figures-behind-ea-sports-net-revenue-from-ultimate-team-20200521

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MQ1ZMZ-l4
    NBA 2K20 has made more than $1 billion in combined sales and microtransaction revenues worldwide, Take-Two Interactive today announced.
    NBA 2K20 made over billion in less than a year 535 | TweakTown.com
    VIEW GALLERY - 2 IMAGES

NBA 2K20 is a monster. It's right up there with GTA Online, Take-Two's other billion-dollar darling, and has significantly materially impacted quarterly earnings since its launch. The big difference is NBA 2K20 has managed to rake in over $1 billion in total earnings and 14 million copies sold in less than a year.

"In the first quarter, NBA 2K20 significantly outperformed our expectations, and recently achieved a franchise milestone of $1 billion in net bookings since launch," Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said in a recent Q1'21 earnings call.
    Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74233/nba-2k20-made-over-1-billion-in-less-than-year/index.html

Yeah but that’s sports games

Now the door is open for AAA anime waifu games, limitless potential

Edit: actually thinking on this more I think there’s something to my shitpost. Only companies with licensing rights can really compete in the sports genre. Genres that allow for original characters open it up for potentially anyone

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yo Brolo, cuz I'm probably the only one that cares, but Dirt 5 actually got delayed (for the second time), to Nov 6.

dang really? i swear that game is cursed

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    dirt 5 is an elaborate prank on brolo

cooking simulator was by far the worst for that

they moved that date like... every other week? for about a year

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/16/remembering-the-classics-xbox-podcast-featuring-tim-schafer/
    Grim Fandango Remastered, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, and Full Throttle Remastered are coming to PC and Xbox Game Pass (and also streaming on Android with Game Pass Ultimate) on October 29th

Crippl3 on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah Genshin just feels like the latest sucess that everyone will chase and take all the wrong lessons from.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

They should definitely have a fishing minigame if for no other reason than Thor canonically fishes.

Hacksaw on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah FIFA Ultimate Team already blew the doors wide open on gacha systems in major AAA games

NBA 2k makes every gacha game in existence look positively restrained in its monetization model

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

I was like, oh it's out. Then I went looking for reviews and was wait a minute...

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The year is 2035. Stardew Valley 8.4 is revealed to be the actual Star Citizen 1.0.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The year is 2035. Stardew Valley 8.4 is revealed to be the actual Star Citizen 1.0.

Well that's unfair to Stardew Valley, which has a developer who actually intends to implement and release game features.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Watching some junk about that old Trespasser game, probably due for a Trespasser remake huh? Like an immersive first person Pacific island dinosaur terror sim could go down pretty smooth

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.