As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My latest attempt at making work from home palatable is trying to turn my living room into a de facto coffee shop. I've set up a hipster easy-listening playlist, rotated my seating arrangements 90° to give myself a new outlook, and am drinking an overpriced kombucha.
    Probably need to spill something suspicious and sticky just next to my chair to really complete the experience but otherwise it's going ok so far.

Put a sign up declaring your area to be named Big Face Coffee and see if anything amusing happens!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    :bro:

Had kidney stones a couple of summers ago and it sucked big time. Luckily they were small enough after getting a scan and decided to just ride it out and pass it. A heating pad can help with the discomfort if you can get comfortable enough to rest. I tried the diluted apple cider vinegar home remedy (couple of tablespoons mixed in with a cup of water and drink) and possibly helped some, but only try if you have the stomach for it. Nausea was one of my symptoms and I really had to focus to get the solution down.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    My latest attempt at making work from home palatable is trying to turn my living room into a de facto coffee shop. I've set up a hipster easy-listening playlist, rotated my seating arrangements 90° to give myself a new outlook, and am drinking an overpriced kombucha.
    Probably need to spill something suspicious and sticky just next to my chair to really complete the experience but otherwise it's going ok so far.

I drink a grady's new orleans style cold brew with oatly oat milk in the morning (it's SUCH a good combo), then transition into green tea in the afternoon

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Gonna need to hear about the pastry situation to fully buy into this.

The good news: an exceptional French patisserie exists about fifteen minutes walk away
    The bad news: it’s only open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

But today I had a bagel pre-organized, so the minimum carb loading was satisfied.

If they're not too far away, you should check out Sixth Course when possible. They've been closed for a while, but it looks like they're re-opening soon for contactless pick-up orders on Fridays.

https://www.sixthcourse.com/

The pastry chef who owns it is extremely talented and also very cool.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Talk about an anxiety spike. Just got a call from work that I need to go isolate in a hotel room for a period of time.

Just need to uh, figure out child care while my wife is on the opposite coast for a family emergency.

Everything is fine

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Because I'm going to be doing a major server op this evening, I spent most of the afternoon showing a friend and distant coworker how to use Microsoft's findtime tool.

Man. That really needs to be baked into default Office/Outlook/Exchange. It's so nice....

Sure, I was introduced to it by a Microsoft employee. But that doesn't matter! If it makes your life easier and is easy to use, go for it!

(I promise I'm not shilling, it was fun watching her realize what the software could do.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Gonna need to hear about the pastry situation to fully buy into this.

The good news: an exceptional French patisserie exists about fifteen minutes walk away
    The bad news: it’s only open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

But today I had a bagel pre-organized, so the minimum carb loading was satisfied.

If they're not too far away, you should check out Sixth Course when possible. They've been closed for a while, but it looks like they're re-opening soon for contactless pick-up orders on Fridays.

https://www.sixthcourse.com/

The pastry chef who owns it is extremely talented and also very cool.

Well it’s far in the sense that I’ve been across to SF like... three times in the last three months, at most. Purely as the crow flies, it’s reasonably close.
    But I’ll put a pin in it in case we ever get to go back to the workplace!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I need to put a resume together so I can start applying to internal salary jobs.

I gotta get off swings man. They suck so super hard.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Damn, korodullin, that really sucks. I hope you feel better soon!

Fridays here are always fun. It’s my one WFH day and the kids are at home doing school. Today it was:
    - Get up, get kids up and dressed
    - Log on and do some work while kids have breakfast
    - Get kids set up on their first lessons
    - Log Niko into Zoom for Acadiance testing
    - Answer emails
    - Run back and forth between making sure Niko is staying on track and answering Anya’s questions
    - Go downstairs to prep leaves for Niko’s science and realize I need modpodge
    - Go to Target to get modpodge and poster sheets and get everyone flu shots while we’re at it
    - Check emails/answer a few questions
    - Prepare lunch
    - Modpodge leaves
    - Prep afternoon lessons
    - Take a bunch (like 7-8 videos) of Niko performing various tasks for state testing
    - Finish up my work
    - Bribe the kids to finish their school work

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    despite record breaking case #s in the state my girlfriend is still on track to start the 50/50 in schooling monday

her teacher's union has been completely silent all year.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kadith wrote: »
    how do some people function:

Contractor sends an email titled XXX6 ADDRESS: "Can you get me the documents for this address? It's scheduled for today."

I reply with the requested address.

Contractor "Can you double check this I noticed you sent me the documents for XXX6???"

I check schedule, XXX7 is the address scheduled. Reply with email "Soorry I didn't read your mind, here are the correct documents"

I had a customer recently who said "my boss says I'm not getting their emails."
    Me "oka-"
    Them (cutting me off) "so I deleted my inbox rule for their email address but it still never showed up"
    "When did you make the change to your rules?"
    "Yesterday."
    "Oh and they've sent an email since and it-"
    Them (cutting me off. Again.) "No they emailed me last week"
    Me "..."
    Them "but it still hasn't showed up"
    Me *trying to figure out how to politely explain linear time to this higher dimensional being* "I see."

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Modpodge?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Got my first unemployment check this week.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Modpodge?

It's a craft glue, an all-in-one glue/sealer/finish. You can lather it on and it dries relatively quickly. It's great for decoupage and collage and for kids' activities, since they can be messy with it.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I wonder how many middle schoolers could tell you what a 3x5 floppy disk was if you handed one to them and asked.

2000 was the last year I stopped using floppy discs as a senior in highschool. It was easier just to email myself a report and print it out at school.

My dissertation for my molecular biology BSc. was in large part written over summer break in 2006 when I was at home from university. We didn't have internet at home. The library did. Luckily only a mile walk each way. You could only use the computers there for an hour at a time if I recall. And they were locked so as not to respond to USB sticks.

Research papers and images and everything else were ferried back and forth on a handful of floppy disks, sometimes requiring multipart zip files to split larger sources across more than one disk.

It was super fun times.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ah for the days when transferable media was the preferred method of data transportation for school assignments. Any time I needed an extra day, or honestly just wanted to see if I could, I'd purposely corrupt my file before handing over the medium. After all, can't blame me for it going a bit wonky aye? Just bring it in the next day and no harm done.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I wonder how many middle schoolers could tell you what a 3x5 floppy disk was if you handed one to them and asked.

2000 was the last year I stopped using floppy discs as a senior in highschool. It was easier just to email myself a report and print it out at school.

My dissertation for my molecular biology BSc. was in large part written over summer break in 2006 when I was at home from university. We didn't have internet at home. The library did. Luckily only a mile walk each way. You could only use the computers there for an hour at a time if I recall. And they were locked so as not to respond to USB sticks.

Research papers and images and everything else were ferried back and forth on a handful of floppy disks, sometimes requiring multipart zip files to split larger sources across more than one disk.

It was super fun times.

The bolded is our generation's punch card war stories. Still doesn't have the same dread-inspiring threat as having to re-order 99.9% similar card stock, that was shuffled on the ground by gravity, and if you got the order incorrect you had to wait multiple days/weeks until you could try again.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Bout to drop off two bid sheets for jobs I know I'm not gonna get but fuck it.

At this point I mostly do it to annoy whoever has to sort these things.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Ah for the days when transferable media was the preferred method of data transportation for school assignments. Any time I needed an extra day, or honestly just wanted to see if I could, I'd purposely corrupt my file before handing over the medium. After all, can't blame me for it going a bit wonky aye? Just bring it in the next day and no harm done.

I didn't dare trying it, but here is the ultimate technique back in the days when you just had to mail everything to your teacher before end of the week.

Dear mr. Renes,

I have attached my report on blabla. Have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,
    A Devious Pygmy Hippo

And then not attach the file on purpose.

The teacher would mail back, but if you sent it in late enough you could claim only seeing it on Monday on account of your healthy school/life balance or a family trip over the weekend. Bam! Extra weekend!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I once used up all the black ink in our home printer halfway through the first page of a 5 page report, so I had half a legible page and 4 and a half pages of basically invisible text. So I reprinted it on the darkest green we could get off Wordperfect (I think this was 1994 or '95) and when I brought it in to class, my teacher had the audacity to say she was docking 5% for it not being printed in black. When my dad picked me up from school that afternoon, I told him what happened, and we walked to that teacher's room. He opened the door and said, "If you want black ink so goddamn much, I'll make sure a squid ends up in your mailbox every day."

Three days later, she rescinded the penalty, and I wholeheartedly believe my dad had someone put dead squids in her mailbox every one of those days.

• Options
    I mean, your dad didn't specify they were dead squids...

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I didn't dare trying it, but here is the ultimate technique back in the days when you just had to mail everything to your teacher before end of the week.

Dear mr. Renes,

I have attached my report on blabla. Have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,
    A Devious Pygmy Hippo

And then not attach the file on purpose.

The teacher would mail back, but if you sent it in late enough you could claim only seeing it on Monday on account of your healthy school/life balance or a family trip over the weekend. Bam! Extra weekend!

This was way riskier to attempt was my thought back then, since not attaching a file could be construed as my fault somehow. But a corrupted one, now that was just bad luck. After all, it's not like the teacher's going to ever figure out they were attempting to open an MP3 file renamed to have .doc as the suffix.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You should have used an encoded .pigg or .bin or something. The chances of accidentally opening an encoded mp3 with a program that would run it is way too high for the risk imo!

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Having typed work when I was in HS was mostly an optional thing. Had a couple teachers that would offer extra credit if you brought in typed homework.

Never had to email anything though! Since I worked through the second half of high school and my sister was in the same grade as me, I would just pay her to do the work I didn’t want to do. During my last year I paid her $100 to do a scrap book project for me.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Dear employers:

If you're writing up a job brief and you include words like "Rock Star" and how you expect the person in the role to wear multiple hats and take jobs from start to finish while ALSO being client facing, then don't offer 50 -30k below market. You fucking idiots.

Edit: Although I do give them credit for stating up front how much they are underpaying for this role, that's the only possible move here. Recently I read a letter to Ask a Manager where the person writing in was complaining about how their workplace refused to let people know upfront how much they were underpaying, causing candidates to go through the entire hiring process and then rejecting the offer. That's dumb as a bag of rocks. If you're going to pay slave wages the least you can do is let people know upfront.

Second edit: Here's the role if you're wondering what I'm venting about. Sysadmin AND project manager AND it sounds like pre-sales engineer and probably some other things they haven't mentioned. All for 50 - 70k. Either one of those roles starts at 75k and can go over 5 figures in my area. For 5 years experience I'd expect to see a role like this START at 100k.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Dear employers:

If you're writing up a job brief and you include words like "Rock Star" and how you expect the person in the role to wear multiple hats and take jobs from start to finish while ALSO being client facing, then don't offer 50 -30k below market. You fucking idiots.

Edit: Although I do give them credit for stating up front how much they are underpaying for this role, that's the only possible move here. Recently I read a letter to Ask a Manager where the person writing in was complaining about how their workplace refused to let people know upfront how much they were underpaying, causing candidates to go through the entire hiring process and then rejecting the offer. That's dumb as a bag of rocks. If you're going to pay slave wages the least you can do is let people know upfront.

Second edit: Here's the role if you're wondering what I'm venting about. Sysadmin AND project manager AND it sounds like pre-sales engineer and probably some other things they haven't mentioned. All for 50 - 70k. Either one of those roles starts at 75k and can go over 5 figures in my area. For 5 years experience I'd expect to see a role like this START at 100k.

*Cries about how much he makes doing all that with 7 years of experience*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    Dear employers:

*Cries about how much he makes doing all that with 7 years of experience*

Well, I'm guessing it depends on region. Dallas is a bustling metropolis, so that's what I expect for that job here or in Austin, but if I looked for it in Lubbock I'd expect barely above minimum wage, because Lubbock sucks ass and always has.

Edit: Just for comparison, a call center technical support agent with 5 years of experience would get about 50k in my area, more if they got a job at the right place.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Weeks earlier: “Here’s everything needed to get on campus.”

Online orientation: “You definitely provided everything you need to get on campus.”

Front gate: “Your ID isn’t in our system we can’t let you on campus.”

I tried to get on campus for my one in person class today. Still not in the system. And because I was eager to get on the campus and apparently suspiciously familiar with the security process, I was told to leave the premises immediately.

• Options
    Oh I know it varies by area. It's just a meme around here - working for the university means great benefits (if the state pays) and horrible overall pay for the level of stuff we do. I'm actually more pissed that there's about a 15k pay gap between our junior team and our more senior employees, when they pull just as much, if not more, load.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    yeah, that reminds me of a recruiter who contacted me recently, they wanted someone with close to 10 years of experience but were offering 30k below my current salary... was a bit of a non-starter.

the caveat there is that it was a full remote position for a startup based in NYC whereas i'm located in the Bay Area... though I thought that NYC had an equally bad hand in terms of housing/living costs.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    In direct defiance of the thread title, I have actually accepted a job offer. It's not much, but any port in a storm, yeah?

There's just one hitch. I need to fill out the I-9 and a) I cannot find my social security card and b) we're not sure about the birth certificate's record number

do we have anyone here born in Maryland? I'd be grateful if we could compare notes.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Currently chewing on a papertowel instead of food because I ate an old granola bar out of the work stash and a nut piece jammed in my gums and flossing that bad boy out released the red tides

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Currently chewing on a papertowel instead of food because I ate an old granola bar out of the work stash and a nut piece jammed in my gums and flossing that bad boy out released the red tides

Blood for the blood god?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Since last week I have been doing the work of 3 people doing 2+ depts a night
    It is a good thing the nurgle cult is losing members through people quiting {lol at them looking for jobs right right now but that's a whole different tale of woe} But still I am quite tired and the week is not over I dread going into tonight as it's my idiot of a manager

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Got my jab this afternoon. Too bad getting a job isn't nearly as easy.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    *Breathe*
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Reminder to self: Never, ever take a job in New Hampshire. Added it to the nogo zone, along with most of the deep south.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    *Breathe*
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Reminder to self: Never, ever take a job in New Hampshire. Added it to the nogo zone, along with most of the deep south.

Libertarian philosophy ends some a mix between Jackson's Whole and Crayak

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    In direct defiance of the thread title, I have actually accepted a job offer. It's not much, but any port in a storm, yeah?

There's just one hitch. I need to fill out the I-9 and a) I cannot find my social security card and b) we're not sure about the birth certificate's record number

do we have anyone here born in Maryland? I'd be grateful if we could compare notes.

I'm not sure, but maybe @Xaquin was born here?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm not sure, but maybe @Xaquin was born here?

yep!

@Tamin what did you need to see?

If you need a copy of your birth certificate, any county health dept. should be able to help you!

This discussion has been closed.