As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Well, preliminary results are in, and it's looking to be a significant shift to Labour, with Greens also significant. NZF is looking like they'll need an electoral seat, and I have not idea whether they'll get it

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    NZF are well off the pace to win a seat.

Maori Party threatening to come back in though, which is very exciting.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    NZF are well off the pace to win a seat.

Maori Party threatening to come back in though, which is very exciting.

Let us hope the first part of that is correct

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Northland is their only hope, and Shane Jones is currently getting about 10% of the vote. He's currently running behind Labour, National, and daylight.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    an not running very well.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the idea of a Labour/Green Coalition.

Please let this be a harbinger of a good end to the year.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Right now it's looking like labor could govern alone, but I'd be real surprised if they didn't grab greens to give them a massive majority

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Auckland central is currently going Green for Chloe Swarbrick, which is also exciting; polling consistently had her 3rd, so that's really interesting.

But the Waiariki race between Maori party and Labour is currently 17 seats, which is by far the most interesting race this evening.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm excited for Chloe.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Was Simon Bridges just preparing Collins' back for some knives just now?

Because if I was her, I would be hearing the sound of the bus coming after that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Was Simon Bridges just preparing Collins' back for some knives just now?

Because if I was her, I would be hearing the sound of the bus coming after that.

I mean, he got thrown under the bus for... what would have been a much better result for them. And, if their caucus is shrunk by as much as it looks like, it's entirely possible that he ends up with the numbers to contest it.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Haha he absolutely was! “Oh tonight is not the time for that sort of thing” *proceeds to put the slipper in*

Good gooood tear yourselves to pieces, you shortsighted elitist dogs hahaha

Fuck I haven’t been this happy since Trump was diagnosed with coronavirus

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I'm not watching anything.

And as much as o dislike Simon, I am keen to hear them snipe at each other.

• Options
    I've been watching TV1s covered from here in Australia with copious interest. I sadly couldn't vote in this election, but I am very happy to see Labour getting in. When you're a returning Kiwi, in these dark times, hearing that one party wants to try to make the quarantine hotels a "profitable enterprise" was not reassuring.

Just a few months now. Just a few months.

• Options
    Awwwww why couldn't you vote?

And it looks like my seat is actually going to be a Labour pick up. Very nice.

I'm feeling some hope

• Options
    Awwwww why couldn't you vote?

And it looks like my seat is actually going to be a Labour pick up. Very nice.

I'm feeling some hope

I have been in Australia since 2011, but I last went back in 2014. You cannot vote in NZ if you haven't returned to the country within the last three years - which is fair enough. I haven't voted in any election now since whenever the last NZ election was before I left.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Watching the NZ election instead of the ACT election Aegeri?
    Scandalous

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Simon Bridges doesn't want the leadership back, or at least not soon. He's having far too much fun sitting in the front bench and watching everyone else's blood spilled. He might take it back, eventually, far enough that he's not really thinking about it now, but for now he's going to have far too much fun watching Collins get everything she's always wanted and having cut away, piece by bleeding piece.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    discrider wrote: »
    Scandalous

Well, I'm due to return home permanently to New Zealand in March.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Ohhhh. That explains why the guys I know could vote.

They both came back to visit last year.

I am no longer confused

• Options
    edited October 2020
    It's been quite amazing explaining to my Australian partner just what she gets for moving to New Zealand. It's essentially much easier to bring her to NZ than it is for me to stay in Australia. I am glad that in this instance, my vote for Labour probably wouldn't have made any impact and I'm relieved that Adern got in.

But she needs to use this position well. Especially without the lack of people to blame for things they didn't manage to get done.

I kind of wondering without her brilliant response to the Pandemic what this election would have looked like. It was essentially a vote on how well people thought Labour did in responding to the virus. Out of curiosity, what were polls like about opposition towards lockdowns in New Zealand?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Interesting. I think I can vote in Australia if I'm intending to return to live in the next 2 years.

I saw a breakdown of opinion about lockdown by political party a couple days ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Options
    It's been quite amazing explaining to my Australian partner just what she gets for moving to New Zealand. It's essentially much easier to bring her to NZ than it is for me to stay in Australia. I am glad that in this instance, my vote for Labour probably wouldn't have made any impact and I'm relieved that Adern got in.

But she needs to use this position well. Especially without the lack of people to blame for things they didn't manage to get done.

I kind of wondering without her brilliant response to the Pandemic what this election would have looked like. It was essentially a vote on how well people thought Labour did in responding to the virus. Out of curiosity, what were polls like about opposition towards lockdowns in New Zealand?

Public approval of the handling has been high, and support of the lockdowns has also been a majority, I believe. Certainly, looking at other countries, there hasn't been a lot of success on other approaches.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    :X

And now the NZ election has broken into my ACT election feed, so now I have to eject myself from the state too.

discrider on
  • Options
    Interesting. I think I can vote in Australia if I'm intending to return to live in the next 2 years.

I saw a breakdown of opinion about lockdown by political party a couple days ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Are you a permanent resident or Australian citizen? You basically can't vote here in Australia if you aren't one of those and NZers who come here to live under a SCV are basically unable to have any rights whatsoever. I would almost call it a trap, especially when they like to change the rules to exclude you in different ways.

For example several years ago as a student here, Australia changed the rules so that NZ students lost things like travel and health concessions. My trip from Western Sydney into town went from a reasonable 52 dollars a week, to almost 130 dollars. It was enormously harmful.

• Options

Are you a permanent resident or Australian citizen? You basically can't vote here in Australia if you aren't one of those and NZers who come here to live under a SCV are basically unable to have any rights whatsoever. I would almost call it a trap, especially when they like to change the rules to exclude you in different ways.

For example several years ago as a student here, Australia changed the rules so that NZ students lost things like travel and health concessions. My trip from Western Sydney into town went from a reasonable 52 dollars a week, to almost 130 dollars. It was enormously harmful.

I'm a dual citizen of NZ & Australia.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Scandalous

Well, I'm due to return home permanently to New Zealand in March.

Best of luck.
    Hope things are easier for you over there.

• Options
    Related, it’s good to hear more of a conversation about the Murdoch empire’s grip on the news in Australia https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/oct/17/culture-of-fear-why-kevin-rudd-is-determined-to-see-an-end-to-murdochs-media-dominance

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    It's been quite amazing explaining to my Australian partner just what she gets for moving to New Zealand. It's essentially much easier to bring her to NZ than it is for me to stay in Australia.

Toys is essentially why I'm here.

It was so much easier for my emigrate to NZ Ryan to even attempt to get ecco to the States.

Thank God for that.

• Options
    On current numbers, something like 25-33% of our new MPs will be Millenials or younger.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Auckland central is currently going Green for Chloe Swarbrick, which is also exciting; polling consistently had her 3rd, so that's really interesting.

But the Waiariki race between Maori party and Labour is currently 17 seats, which is by far the most interesting race this evening.
    Hey hey! Awesome.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So, posting at 1 am...

Labor has the seats to govern alone, with 64 seats. 49% of the vote. Will they? I dont know.

Chloe Swarbrick fucking WON Auckland central, which is fantastic. Be fascinating if this turns into a green bastion in future elections. Greens at 7.6% of the vote - which is a nice climb over previous elections, though i wish it was higher. Either way, ten seats! Yes! I've seen the argument they might be able to do more in opposition, rather than in coalition, so we'll see. It certainly doesn't seem like they could get a lot of Labor, while labor would gain a very commanding majority.

National got their lunch eaten. 35 seats, 26.8% of the vote. Which shocks me, i mean, i had them pinned as getting wrecked, but i was expecting like... 32% or something. I didn't actually think the polls would hold,you know?

Speaking of lunch eating: Act has scooped up 10 fucking seats, and 8% of the vote. Cant say i'm happy about this outside of watching the right eat itself... but honestly, i'd rather a more diverse set of parties than a less diverse set of parties, even if i do not like Act or National. I have to assume a lot of this is from eating up disillusioned national voters, be fascinating to see how this plays out.

NZ First is out, so allow me to play the Neslon Ha-Ha at them. Good riddance to bad trash. I can only hope this sinks Winston Peters permanently.

Maori party is possibly going to score a seat, pulling them back into parliament. seems like a good thing from the perspective of a diverse parliament is a useful one, but... i'm not going to claim any amazing political insight here

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    It's an interesting parliament. I have the feeling that the minor parties' success wont hold for next election but for now I'm very happy. And who knows, maybe they build on this.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Couldn't have asked for a better result.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Still pretty excited about the first Green electorate ever.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Still pretty excited about the first Green electorate ever.

I'm excited that Chloe won ( touch wood on the special votes), but it's not the first Green electorate win - that was Jeanette Fitzsimons, in 1999, with Coromandel. She died earlier this year, but it is well worth remembering the amount of work that she put into the Green party as a whole.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I really hope that means that Labour will enact some of their bigger policies, like higher tax brackets and capital gains on rental properties.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    I really hope that means that Labour will enact some of their bigger policies, like higher tax brackets and capital gains on rental properties.

I believe she was elected on a strict promise of never implementing a capital gains tax.

But I am all for a CGT on properties beyond your first (EG Rentals).

• Options
    As a firm supporter of a CGT, it will take a little bit of time to shift the Overton window.

It’s that, or there has to be a way to break the moneyed elite’s grip on news media.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I am really glad for you guys that Adern got back in because goddam I wish she was in charge here.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I think this might have been my favourite part of the night:

This discussion has been closed.