As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My Saturn works, but the cartridge slot is a bit jacked up. Have to stuff a small piece of cardboard in the front of any cartridge to push it back a little bit. But then I can't remember the last time I even took the system out of the box it's in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Built just in time for Treat Yo Self day.

dhdl1ap8xn7h.jpg

Golden Axe, say hello to your baby sibling.

I want that, but I have no room.

I am surprised no one has tried to sue the Analogue guys for copying hardware. I guess reverse engineering is legal.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    ...yes? You can't even copyright physical chip layouts like you can software code. This has been the legal principle behind years of software emulation development, where only the software part (BIOS) is either distributed by shady means, or a replacement bios is built from scratch.

Really the absurd thing is that all software code is considered the same kind of work as a novel but that's another topic.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I was one of the 5 people who were able to get a Pocket pre-order in. I'm gonna be all over that adapter, hopefully they make more than 7.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Yeah. I missed ordering an Analogue Pocket.

...yes? You can't even copyright physical chip layouts like you can software code. This has been the legal principle behind years of software emulation development, where only the software part (BIOS) is either distributed by shady means, or a replacement bios is built from scratch.

Really the absurd thing is that all software code is considered the same kind of work as a novel but that's another topic.

So many times in code people do the same thing. It is kinda silly.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    You can "copyright" physical chip layouts, it's called a patent. But patents only last for around 20 years, so those consoles from 30 years ago are free game to reproduce and sell.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This talk about clone consoles and whatnot got me to finally look up the Dendy, a Famicom clone that was created for the Russian market in 1992. The name always struck me as hilarious for some reason. I didn't realize that it looked just like a Famicom, though.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    This talk about clone consoles and whatnot got me to finally look up the Dendy, a Famicom clone that was created for the Russian market in 1992. The name always struck me as hilarious for some reason. I didn't realize that it looked just like a Famicom, though.
    Built in turbo buttons. Nice job, Rooskies!

edited October 2020
    I played Wrestle War in the arcade exactly once in my childhood, and I can't even remember where it was, just that it was on a youth group trip and that they had both that and WWF Superstars in the same arcade. I don't believe it was 2 player only, I feel like we played single player through a list of opponents. I do know it has a weird effect where the camera constantly flips to match your point of view.
    I wasn't saying it was 2-player only. I was saying it was limited to 2 players, not 4. It would be the exceedingly rare arcade game that didn't allow someone to play alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zXxkUpdmo

Oof, yeah, that camera switch is awkward. Also the gameplay just looks pretty bad in general.

forty on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The possibly vaporware Atari Flashback is getting a feature we all nobody demanded: cryptocurrency!

Also, this is (possibly) happening:

p3iib7xbplpbcshihot3.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's an amusing misplaced period in that article.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Weird nostalgia for them to market. They could have done a great thing by actually making a decent Atari mini retro unit, but botched it by outsourcing their name to another company AND then doing the funding fiasco.

From their last e-mail though it sounds like they're "close" as in units are somewhere ready to ship out. So guessing the vaporware console will actually be shipped?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I've finally hooked up Genesis mini and have been playing games with my 7 year old, mostly contra and it's a lot of fun! I was a SNES kid though, so any recommendations on what's good on this for co-op play or a even a single player game I could get into? Ready to dive into these games and experience them. Back in the day my neighbor had a Genesis, so I am aware of a few; obviously Sonic and he also had Spinball, but most of these are new to me.

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote: »
    I've finally hooked up Genesis mini and have been playing games with my 7 year old, mostly contra and it's a lot of fun! I was a SNES kid though, so any recommendations on what's good on this for co-op play or a even a single player game I could get into? Ready to dive into these games and experience them. Back in the day my neighbor had a Genesis, so I am aware of a few; obviously Sonic and he also had Spinball, but most of these are new to me.

I had to take a look at the games list on the Genesis Mini just now to make recommendations.

Streets of Rage 2 is an absolutely solid brawler with co-op!

If you liked Contra: Hard Corps, check out Gunstar Heroes. It's the first game made by Treasure, who were ex-Konami developers. They also made Dynamite Headdy and Light Crusader which are on the mini, but are only single player.

Castlevania Bloodlines is an excellent Castlevania game.

Shining Force is a solid tactical RPG in the vein of Fire Emblem, albeit much easier. There's no permadeath. The second game is slightly better, but it's not on the mini.

I had to look up the list as well since I couldn't remember the games on it. Really makes me feel like hooking it up and playing it now.

Isn't Toe Jam and Erl a co-op game? I can't remember now but I thought it was. I think the two Mickey games are also great to play with kiddos even if they are not co-op.

I remember playing Golden Axe and Altered Beast on mine long ago (it came with the used console I bought in college). Ecco was neat looking, but I could never figure it out back then (never bothered to read the instructions). Earthworm Jim was fun to play, I remember renting it as well but never beat it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah, ToeJam & Earl is definitely co-op. It was excellent for its time too! It's basically a super early roguelite. The co-op is neat because of how it lets you explore a level together or separately, switching to split screen as you split up and back to full screen when you get close enough to each other.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I could never figure out what you were supposed to do in toe jam and earl.

Definitely one of those games that was bad to rent and then find that there was no instruction booklet.

TJ&E is actually fairly simple. The goal is to get to level 25 with your ship fully intact.

When you enter a stage for the first time, it'll tell you that there's a ship piece on that stage. Don't advance without it! (or you'll have to go back for it)

The other big thing in the game is presents. You usually won't know what a present contains until you open it. They can either be beneficial, neutral, or bad, but once you've opened it, that type of present is identified for the rest of the game and you can choose to drop it if you don't want it. The big exception here is the Randomizer present, which undoes all of this and makes all the re-randomizes all the presents, which sucks. You can also have the wise carrot man identify presents for a few bucks, so if you manage to get him to ID the randomizer, you've got a solid run!

Beyond that, there's a level up system. Every time you rank up, you're given a new title and a slightly larger life bar. Your "experience points" are not visible, but it seems like you get them for mapping out levels and possibly opening new presents.

You can choose to play a completely randomized game where the levels are procedurally generated, or you can play the "fixed world" version where each stage is the same every time you play it. VGmaps has maps of every one of these levels.

Anyway, I really like TJ&E. I should try playing that reboot one of these days. I got it via Twitch Prime a year or two ago.

edited October 2020
    The weird thing about TJ&E is it's basically a pacifist roguelike. There's tons of enemies but only a handful of temporary powerups that kill them. Most presents are more about navigation and evasion.

Then TJ&E2 inexplicably mandates"exterminate capture all the earthlings!"

rahkeesh2000 on
    TJ&E2 was one of those games that came out when I had kind of stopped playing games as much as I used to, so when I finally played it years later, I was confused. It's a sidescrolling platformer now? And I'm searching everything for the earthlings? I haven't ever given it an honest try.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Most people will cover the big ones, but I will say check out Super Fantasy Zone. It's a side scrolling shooter similar in vain to Defender. I haven't played it much yet, but the original Fantasy Zone (the Turbografx-16 version) I came to really enjoy and I hadn't ever played any version until a few months ago. The Turbografx-16 version has 2 players (taking turns), I forget if Super Fantasy Zone has the same, but check it out.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    SteevL wrote: »
    TJ&E is actually fairly simple. The goal is to get to level 25 with your ship fully intact.

When you enter a stage for the first time, it'll tell you that there's a ship piece on that stage. Don't advance without it! (or you'll have to go back for it)

The other big thing in the game is presents. You usually won't know what a present contains until you open it. They can either be beneficial, neutral, or bad, but once you've opened it, that type of present is identified for the rest of the game and you can choose to drop it if you don't want it. The big exception here is the Randomizer present, which undoes all of this and makes all the re-randomizes all the presents, which sucks. You can also have the wise carrot man identify presents for a few bucks, so if you manage to get him to ID the randomizer, you've got a solid run!

Beyond that, there's a level up system. Every time you rank up, you're given a new title and a slightly larger life bar. Your "experience points" are not visible, but it seems like you get them for mapping out levels and possibly opening new presents.

You can choose to play a completely randomized game where the levels are procedurally generated, or you can play the "fixed world" version where each stage is the same every time you play it. VGmaps has maps of every one of these levels.

Anyway, I really like TJ&E. I should try playing that reboot one of these days. I got it via Twitch Prime a year or two ago.
    Unfortunately this post is about 3 decades late for many kids. :P

Huh. Arcade machines have kick plates.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Arcade machines had to be built to withstand a LOT of abuse.

Still is is more comfortable to just play one of the many releases of Dragon's Lair. There is a Wii release that also has Dragon's Lair 2 and Space Ace.

Krathoon wrote: »

Man, I have bought probably all of the home releases of Dragon's Lair ever made. Saw this one pop up on BBTS a few weeks ago and almost pre-ordered it. The price was a bit steep, but man does it really do a superb job of emulating the original arcade I wished to play as a kid. He was right that it cost 50 cents to play and it was steep since you practically died at every moment (and rather quickly) so the cost was way high to finish the game (aka, memorize everything). I remember having some books back then to try and memorize everything, sticker books, etc. But just could never remember everything. This one will kill me to not buy it as well as the Star Wars cabinet. But I just have to stop buying everything I want... Or get rid of all the Transformers I have now to make room for this and the Star Wars cabinet. Yes, I know this is only 12 inches, but man do I have too many classic mini consoles as it is (along with a bunch of older consoles).

I went to the website and saw they have an Asteroids one coming out soon! Now if they made a Star Wars one I would be super happy to get that one.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Still is is more comfortable to just play one of the many releases of Dragon's Lair. There is a Wii release that also has Dragon's Lair 2 and Space Ace.

This is on Switch and Mobile? too and it looks extremely clean. Like they went to original cels/films rather than lifting from a 425p laserdisc.

Jazz wrote: »
    Arcade machines had to be built to withstand a LOT of abuse.

Between kicks, cigarette smoke, spilled soda, and salty air, they really were abused.

We totally missed out on this in the US.
    https://youtu.be/9MD3Jz1TSbo

edited October 2020
    We totally missed out on this in the US.
    https://youtu.be/9MD3Jz1TSbo

It was one of the first system's games I added to one of my minis after hacking it. Vs Excitebike is better than the NES game because of the split screen vs. mode.

edit: one game I played for a while that I don't think is mentioned in that video is Esper Dream, an interesting early action RPG:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPOtJIUv_AQ

SteevL on
    I still recommend the Genesis Flashback, but get the second version with the SD card slot. The firmware is flashable.

I still recommend the Genesis Flashback, but get the second version with the SD card slot. The firmware is flashable.

Edit: I take that back. I played it again and the selection is better on the Genesis Mini.

Looking forward to a Real Drivin or Road Blisters cab that is a full cab. Then we can go straight to the moving Afterburner setup.

forty wrote: »

I need a bigger house so I can buy all of these.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    That head-to-head Street Fighter cabinet is a cool concept but it's wasted on that game selection. Final Fight would be fun to play exactly once, and no one is clamoring for head-to-head Street Fighter '87. And if you have Hyper Fighting and Super Turbo you're set for Street Fighter II variants.

Kreutz on